HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Edmonton robbedemption

Old
01-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Crabapple

vCash: 898
Man was at this game and the atmosphere was electric. Loved Yak's celly. Quick was awesome tonight, and although I think the officiating was terrible, it was terrible both ways and I wouldn't say either team had the advantage. So happy we won though. Best game I've ever seen live

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 AM
zar
Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Best game I have been to in a while. The Gagner 8 point game last year was pretty good and then the season opener the year before last when the Oil beat Calgary, Eberle scored that sick toe-drag goal and Big Mac KO'd Ivanans.

I am somewhat surprised of the fans of many team making fun of the fans of the Oilers celebrating like they have won the Cup when these same poster would have absolutely no idea what it feels like to be cheering for your team as they hoist The Holy Grail.

I am not a fan of over-dramatic "cellies", especially rehearsed ones, but his was raw emotion. If you were in the stands of this game you would understand.

The refs were brutal, both goalies played awesome and the last 5 minutes were pure excitement... I Love This Game!

Go Oil!

zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Tmu84
- Tmuussoni

I think the correct call was made

Tmu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:45 AM
premadonna

Congrats to Yakupov for scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal!

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:24 AM
KingKhron

Congrats to you for being the 100th person to use that joke.

KingKhron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:25 AM
Baggie

Such a great game. Too bad Yakupov ruined the ending with his classless celebration. I didn't expect such a s***storm about it even in here, clearly I was wrong. Celebrations are serious business.

When I was watching the game, my emotions bursted exactly like nail's when he scored the goal. I mean, getting robbed a late game tying goal, feeling like crap about it and then you score the game tying goal 5 seconds remaining. Reg. season game or not, that's huge. I would be much more disappointed if his celebration was like "Cool, I guess I just tied the game. I should propably do a small fist pump or something but it's just a regular season game so I dont really care".

Besides I don't really care if the oilers celebrated every regular season win like they won a playoff series, that's the kind of winning mentality this franchise desperately needs.

Baggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Let Yakupov be like that. Ovechkin used to be like that until he had all the hockey life sucked out of him. The celebration was awesome.

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggie View Post
Such a great game. Too bad Yakupov ruined the ending with his classless celebration. I didn't expect such a s***storm about it even in here, clearly I was wrong. Celebrations are serious business.

When I was watching the game, my emotions bursted exactly like nail's when he scored the goal. I mean, getting robbed a late game tying goal, feeling like crap about it and then you score the game tying goal 5 seconds remaining. Reg. season game or not, that's huge. I would be much more disappointed if his celebration was like "Cool, I guess I just tied the game. I should propably do a small fist pump or something but it's just a regular season game so I dont really care".

Besides I don't really care if the oilers celebrated every regular season win like they won a playoff series, that's the kind of winning mentality this franchise desperately needs.
The problem a lot of people have is he didn't celebrate a win, he celebrated a tie. That kind of celebration is generally something you do after you end the game in OT, not while there's hockey left to be played. You can show that you're pumped without skating past your teammates and sliding across the entire surface.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:15 AM
4thline4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
The problem a lot of people have is he didn't celebrate a win, he celebrated a tie. That kind of celebration is generally something you do after you end the game in OT, not while there's hockey left to be played. You can show that you're pumped without skating past your teammates and sliding across the entire surface.
This. I thought it was the ot winner which would of been fine with how down edm has been but to tie the game? Major lol such a junior celly.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:21 AM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 425
He didn't just "tie the game", though. He tied it with 10 seconds left in the game after the refs had unrightfully called back the previous goal to tie it 50 seconds prior.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:31 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Don't know the situation, but just saw video from ten seconds left in third period. Are we in May and that was a Game 7?

Chill out, kid. It's game 3 of the season, and of your career. Direction of hockey celebration=where soccer celebrations currently are.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Don't know the situation, but just saw video from ten seconds left in third period. Are we in May and that was a Game 7?

Chill out, kid. It's game 3 of the season, and of your career. Direction of hockey celebration=where soccer celebrations currently are.
Just watching the last ten seconds doesn't give proper context to what happened, the arena was going crazy, the Oilers thought they had tied it with under a minute left, the goal is called good on the ice and is on the scoreboard, then the goal is taken away in a fashion that I don't even think is allowed by the NHL rulebook, things start flying onto the ice, beer is being thrown everywhere, the refs are hearing it, things were getting crazy. THEN Yakupov scores with 4 seconds left in a last ditch desperate frenzy in front of the net.

You had to watch the last 5 minutes of the game to understand.

Complete emotional rollercoaster for both teams. Basically it would be like a basketball team hitting a buzzer beating shot to tie a game, having the basket taken away on an extremely questionable and late call, 4 seconds put back on the clock, and then hitting another buzzer beating shot *again* to tie it, lol. I imagine there would be an emphatic celebration.

Last minute come from behind goals in the NHL are rare enough, to have one taken away like that, and then to score again with 4 seconds left on top of it to make up for the refs screwing you out of a goal is extremely rare. I don't think I've seen that sequence of events happen too often in a hockey game at any level.

Last edited by Soundwave: 01-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:

Watch the whole game, then comment. Of course you're not going to understand the emotion going down by watching 10 seconds of footage.

I'm fine with the celebration unless of course he starts doing that every goal.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

I know a lot of people disagree with you, and I am an Oiler fan, so people might expect that I would argue with you as well....but I won't.

I just saw an interview with Jarret Stoll and he said the Kings were not too happy about it either.

I think people sometimes make the mistake of assuming those of us who think the celebration was over the top don't like this one player's youthful excitement. That is not the issue.

The issue is how it makes the other team react. One, you have to play these guys again at some point, and two...this is the one game left in the world where it is still frowned upon showing up the other team. I don't care if it is the thing to do in 2013, to rub your opponent's nose in it. I will never think that is the way hockey should be played, and no one will ever convince me of that. No hockey person can be convinced of that. It's why you have Jamie McClennan of all people saying it "...was okay, but don't make a habit of it".

A lot of young people will disagree with me on this one, but that is how this game has been played for a hundred years.

If I am wrong, why would Jarret Stoll be upset and say that the "dressing room didn't like it"? Shouldn't he think it was acceptable, too?

I don't think it was a crime against humanity or anything, but I sure would hope that we don't see anything like that in a regular season game again. I watched the whole game, and it was an emotional roller coaster. But like many things in life, I would ask....what would Joe Sakic do?

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:48 AM
barnztormre
Our goley is awsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the announcer guy View Post
it took two taps to get it in

That's what she said.

barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

I'm still kinda wired.

It's moments like these that remind me why I love the Oilers. This is all everyone in Edmonton will be talking about today. If you didn't know who Nail Yakupov was before last night you sure as **** do now.

Angelus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:23 AM
BF3
Boom Roasted.

I hope there are more ridiculous celebrations. Anything to piss off the other team/old white Canadians is a winner. Such an easy way to get into the other teams head, everyone lets this **** get to them for some reason.

Remember the Rangers-Lightning brawl after the Anisimov taunt/celebration, and then his coach coming out and saying he deserved to get the **** kicked out of him? **** that ****.

Blue Jackets should go ape **** after every goal. We'd be talking about them all the time! The Canucks tried to do no celebrations and all they got was their ***** handed to them in the first round.

Hockey + Emotion = better.

BF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:26 AM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

Bizarro game.

Anyway, I have no real problem with Yak's celebration. A bit over the top, sure. But it's honestly just raw emotion. The kid is like that. It's the pre-meditated celebrations that are classless.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Fishy McScales

I love the people defending the reversed goal by saying that Gagner should have had a penalty for his play on Doughty. #everyoneknowstwowrongsmakearight

Fishy McScales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:46 AM
GuineaPig

I think it was the right call. Gagner, while he was pushed a bit into Quick, also made no attempt to get out of his way and actively prohibited from coming anywhere close to making the save. And the refs are allowed to conference over a situation like that, just not use video to review it.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:53 AM
McRpro
5-14-6-1

How many classless Subans does that get?

Or is it now now classless Yakupovs?

Whole lotta hate and anger over a game tying celebration in this thread from the old folks.

McRpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
How many classless Subans does that get?

Or is it now now classless Yakupovs?

Whole lotta hate and anger over a game tying celebration in this thread from the old folks.
It's fantastic.
If he scores a hat trick, his celly might give them a heart attack.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think you need to chill out. Relax man, it's a game. Why are you getting all worked up?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
RuneMcEres
Seasons in the Abyss

Since when does a 19 year old kid scoring a game tying goal with 4.7 seconds left have to curtail his emotions? You really gotta be bitter to get worked up about that.

RuneMcEres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Haha, that was the craziest Rexall Place has been since the last time we made the playoffs.
Last time building was that loud it was the Stefan miss and Hemsky goal with like a second left.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote