HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crawsome Start:Some Thoughts

Old
01-24-2013, 11:46 PM
DontToewzMeBro

vCash: 500
Crawsome Start:Some Thoughts

Very happy with the team so far. The only real criticism I have is a few shady pinches leading to odd man rushes by the opposition.

Other than this, the Hawks have been amazing.

Corey Crawford is 3-0-0 with a sparkling 1.98GA and a solid 923%. Thanks to a stopped penalty shot and Duncan Keith- he is now 3-0. A motivated and rested Keith is an amazing asset to Craw.

Hjarlmasson has been a rock, loving his play, and is causing slightly more offence. He is so instrumental to the hawks because when Keith and Seabs are off, he needs to be reliable all the time. He simply cannot take a shift off in order for the hawks to have success. Also, Leddy and Kruger are noticeably stronger than last season, Frolik while overpaid is providing a good presence defensively.

Brandon Saad, with 0 points is still making solid plays and getting to the net, I really like his strength and feel he is an asset. I hope the Hawks brass keep playing him the way they are, seems management is making solid decisions for a change. The addition of Rozs and Bolland at 2nd center are paying dividends.

Stalberg has been really solid, very strong on the puck and causes a lot of push back leading to shots on goal and offensive zone cycling. He needs to be more aware when in front of the goalie screening. I like his tenacity, and he is one of the few forwards that is hitting.

Oduya...have not heard his name during the game much......which is what we want from ODUYA!

All in all very good start, and an encouraging win, although there were lapses defensively, in this NHL no team is immune to it at some point.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:00 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Crawford has been a mixed bag at best.

Agree with the rest, especially Hammer. He's been outstanding.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Crawford has been a mixed bag at best.

I agree with this.

I see people using the words, great, wonderful, amazing to describe Crawford, I would use better. He is playing better then he did last year and has made some solid saves, however he still produces those WHAT THE F! moments, like the first goal last night. Sure you can go on and one about the D or Seabs not being in the right place, fact is the guy your paying millions of dollars to a year to stop the puck, couldn't stop a puck that hit him.

As for the rest yes, Hammer has been unbelieveable, I don't know who that was out there last year but it wasn't his guy. This is the guy I though that kid in 2010 could become and here he is.

You didn't mention Kruger who I think deserves a nod, he has been a much improved player and is out there making an impact on both ends of the ice which is what you want from your #3 C, hope his game continues to grow.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not that Krüger wasn't impressiv last year to start the season on the 4th line. After going up the depth chart, the ice time increased and the spotlight was more on him.

Krüger gets better and better. Leddy plays great D so far + 1 assist per game. That's what we need out of him.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:33 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
The thing I don't get about Crawford is that people expect him to be absolutely perfect.

Like 60% of the goals in this league are bad ones. If he gives up one questionable goal per game (like he did last night), the Hawks are going to win a ton of games. Hopefully the bad goals just don't come in OT of the playoffs this year.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:51 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

If you've got a goalie good for a questionable goal per game you need a goalie.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 AM
CapitalistInfidel

For those with an irrational hatred for Crawford there isn't anything anyone can say to change their minds, for the rest here are some facts. His .923 save % is higher than Halak, Rinne, Luongo, Backstrom, Lundqvist, Howard, Quick, Fleury, Schneider, Ward, and Smith. His 1.98 goals against average is 11th in the league. He may not be the quality of those other goaltenders but he's definitely holding his own so far this year and is much improved over last year. Let's also not forget his rookie year when his gaa was 2.30 (7th in the league) and his save % was .917 (16th in the league)

CapitalistInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Illinihockey

If Crawford can be a .920+ save percentage goalie this year, the Hawks have a great chance of making the Finals.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Hawkaholic

Crawford wasn't amazing, great, or anything like that. he has been good, good enough to make this team a legit cup contender, just like 2010/11.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Espies333s

With all the terrible starts that the top goal tenders have had its incredible that we are getting this out of Crawford. I hope this is him turning a corner and the soft goals are just some rust, but if he stays at this level I think we keep the goalie situation as is.

Espies333s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalistInfidel View Post
For those with an irrational hatred for Crawford there isn't anything anyone can say to change their minds, for the rest here are some facts. His .923 save % is higher than Halak, Rinne, Luongo, Backstrom, Lundqvist, Howard, Quick, Fleury, Schneider, Ward, and Smith. His 1.98 goals against average is 11th in the league. He may not be the quality of those other goaltenders but he's definitely holding his own so far this year and is much improved over last year. Let's also not forget his rookie year when his gaa was 2.30 (7th in the league) and his save % was .917 (16th in the league)
Holy sample size batman!

The only time Crawford impressed this year is late against the Blues. Was great to see, but goalie stats really mean nothing to me. It's definitely an eye test position.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Sevanston

Players whose improvement has really impressed me: Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Kruger. In that order.

Crawford's been good enough. I wouldn't describe my feelings towards him as "confidence" so much as "absence of dread."

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Holy sample size batman!

The only time Crawford impressed this year is late against the Blues. Was great to see, but goalie stats really mean nothing to me. It's definitely an eye test position.
Seabrook had a terrible game last night but nobody says "oh we need an upgrade on 1st-pair defense."

The eye test is utter ******** because it is colored by all of our biases and nobody can be objective with this team. That much is obvious. Though this early in the season stats don't mean much of anything either.

Give it time, folks.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Seabrook had a terrible game last night but nobody says "oh we need an upgrade on 1st-pair defense."

The eye test is utter ******** because it is colored by all of our biases and nobody can be objective with this team. That much is obvious. Though this early in the season stats don't mean much of anything either.

Give it time, folks.
Nobody says replace him because that'd be idiotic. Replacing a guy who had a solid half season 2 years ago is different.

Comparing our all-star defenseman with a middle of the road -at best- starting goalie is a horrible comparison.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
CapitalistInfidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
If Crawford can be a .920+ save percentage goalie this year, the Hawks have a great chance of making the Finals.
I don't think it has to even be that high. I figure if he can be around .914 or .915 (he was .903 last year) the Hawks will be in fine shape. But if he ends up over .920 that would be a huge bonus, .920 was good for 10th place last year.

CapitalistInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

I don't even hate Crow. But I know I'd feel better with an upgrade or at the very least someone to challenge him for minutes.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Slvrbullet87

I think he looks pretty decent in net, makes some big saves when he is pressed, but oh man does he make me worry when he goes out to play the puck.

Slvrbullet87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Steve Larmer

Quote:

Don't always agree with you, but this is spot on. Craw looked good in the home opener but very shaky last night.

Hammer is playing studly right now.

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Hawks're looking good, though there are obviously some gaps, like every other team. Hoping offense keeps looking great, defense takes a step forward, and Crawford has a good bounceback year (he was good in the third period after letting in two softies in the first two), so all things together damn, damn good start.

Hard to complain about 4-0-0.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

1/12th of the way there. 48-0?

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
1/12th of the way there. 48-0?
All I want is a top 4 seed.... That's not too much to ask for, is it?

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Nope! That's what we all want, and based on the best start in the league, a realistic want. 4 games this year is equal to almost 7 normally.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Nope! That's what we all want, and based on the best start in the league, a realistic want. 4 games this year is equal to almost 7 normally.
Blues are keeping pace, though, 6 points in their 4 games. They're @ Dallas tomorrow, host the Wild on Sunday, and are somehow off for like the next 4 days after that before they play the Jackets.

Division title would be great, but I'd be fine with home ice in the first round.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
The way they look right now, I'm feeling a lot greedier than that. So many second-tier players have taken big steps forward.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:00 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
The way they look right now, I'm feeling a lot greedier than that. So many second-tier players have taken big steps forward.
Absolutely, the way they look now we have a legit shot at the #1 seed.... however, it is still a very tough division, and we've had a lot of bounces go our way. We've also seen in the past how when this team struggles, they REALLY REALLY struggle. That, and you never know how things are going to go with such a short schedule, especially if we get hit by a bad injury or two. It's more important than ever for the studs to stay healthy this year, Hossa especially.