HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Being Married to Tyler Myers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
  #1
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Being Married to Tyler Myers

How long will it take for us to start to feel bogged down by the Myers contract? Seriously, all we need him to be is pretty good. But if he continues to be bad 50% of the time he steps on the ice, we're in trouble. It's now his fourth season and he hasn't brought a consistent game since his rookie year. There's a chance he may never become the great defender we all thought he would be. Once that contract set in, the honeymoon was over. Now we're in the grind of everyday marriage. Are we still in love? Surely, this is very early in the year, but I think it is fair to ask.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
  #2
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,775
vCash: 500
The thing that worries/annoys me about Myers is how soft he is. He doesn't have a mean streak. I hope he isn't as soft mentally as he is physically.

He's still young. Defenseman usually take longer to develop. I'm losing patience just like everyone else, but we have to understand the position he is in.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
  #3
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Game 3. Sky is falling. Predictable.

Dubi already said it. Defensemen take longer to get going.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
  #4
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
If only Myers could divorce Lindy...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
  #5
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,579
vCash: 500
Yes, reactionary members of the fanbase are going to pile on the hate early.

I would hope that a larger sample size will be the basis for a more refined judgement.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:02 AM
  #6
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Game 3. Sky is falling. Predictable.

Dubi already said it. Defensemen take longer to get going.
There is a difference between "getting going"... and recognizing that the organization is trying to turn Myers into something he MAY not be.

That's a huge risk to take. It it one of the fundamental mistakes that leads to future comments like "they rushed him", "they should have let him develop more", etc

Myers should have been allowed to develop into a 7 foot Scot Niedermayer... instead they have been trying to make him Pronger.

This *MAY be an epic mistake.... I started to worry 2 years ago.... my fears have not been alleviated

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
  #7
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Yes, reactionary members of the fanbase are going to pile on the hate early.

I would hope that a larger sample size will be the basis for a more refined judgement.
the last 2 years is a pretty solid sample

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
  #8
threeVo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Glass half full : Chara took awhile to become elite
Glass half empty : Hes regressed every season since his Calder year

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
  #9
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the last 2 years is a pretty solid sample
Let's be real. This discussion is being spurred by his performance last night.

I agree that the topic as to whether or not Myers is performing to expectations is becoming more interesting as time goes on, but it's the start of the season after a long time off from the NHL. I give him a little lenience.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
  #10
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
The sky is falling. This is typical.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
  #11
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the last 2 years is a pretty solid sample
Let's say Myers went 1g,1a, +3 last night.

Still think someone makes this thread?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
  #12
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Let's say Myers went 1g,1a, +3 last night.

Still think someone makes this thread?
Of course not, but he's bad out of the gate, again. This is a trend now.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
  #13
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Let's say Myers went 1g,1a, +3 last night.

Still think someone makes this thread?
what if Myers played poorly and had 0 points last night? oh wait he did

Living in the land of leprechauns, faeries and Eskimos doesn´t really work here.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  #14
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
There is a difference between "getting going"... and recognizing that the organization is trying to turn Myers into something he MAY not be.

That's a huge risk to take. It it one of the fundamental mistakes that leads to future comments like "they rushed him", "they should have let him develop more", etc

Myers should have been allowed to develop into a 7 foot Scot Niedermayer... instead they have been trying to make him Pronger.

This *MAY be an epic mistake.... I started to worry 2 years ago.... my fears have not been alleviated
Do you even really honestly believe that though? The guy has (had?) unlimited upside, an incredible ceiling and you're telling me the right play was to not try to maximize it? It's a coaching issue that his entire game goes to **** when the biggest player on the ice is forced to engage in board battles or play the body in front of the net? I think you're letting your anti-ruff narrative cloud your thinking. It was absolutely worth investing in trying to make him a dominant defenseman. And I doubt you actually disagree with that either.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  #15
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Let's be real. This discussion is being spurred by his performance last night.

I agree that the topic as to whether or not Myers is performing to expectations is becoming more interesting as time goes on, but it's the start of the season after a long time off from the NHL. I give him a little lenience.
I'd rather talk about it :shrug: even if it's an overreaction for many to one game... to me, it's 2 years of regression being brought up.

it's a critical issue...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
  #16
is the answer jesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the last 2 years is a pretty solid sample
Saw the thread and was going to post the same thing. I certainly haven't given up on Myers, but he hasn't improved on his game the way I thought he would after his rookie year. As you said it seems they want Myers to develop more of a nasty defensive defenseman type game and he has developed that since his rookie year, but at times it seems forced. Myers needs to get back to what made him so succesful, which is pinching more in the offensive zone and rushing the puck down the ice. I'd also like to see him shoot more, because he's got a great slapshot when he uses it. As jfb said a while back I don't think Myers has great hockey sense and at times it really shows, my expectations for him it seems are much lower than many others around here.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
  #17
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Do you even really honestly believe that though? The guy has (had?) unlimited upside, an incredible ceiling and you're telling me the right play was to not try to maximize it? It's a coaching issue that his entire game goes to **** when the biggest player on the ice is forced to engage in board battles or play the body in front of the net? I think you're letting your anti-ruff narrative cloud your thinking. It was absolutely worth investing in trying to make him a dominant defenseman. And I doubt you actually disagree with that either.
The right play (after making the decision to develop him in the NHL), was to build up his strengths. Maximize his style of play. Not get obsessed with his size and try to make him something he's not.

But hey... if you don't want to attribute his regression to reality, you can stick with generic phrases like "defensemen take longer to develop".

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
  #18
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The right play (after making the decision to develop him in the NHL), was to build up his strengths. Maximize his style of play. Not get obsessed with his size and try to make him something he's not.

But hey... if you don't want to attribute his regression to reality, you can stick with generic phrases like "defensemen take longer to develop".
I see where you are coming from but he is also having problems with simple things like missing poke checks, overplaying the puck and missing hits.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
  #19
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I see where you are coming from but he is also having problems with simple things like missing poke checks, overplaying the puck and missing hits.
It seems to me that the game is moving to fast for him. The optimist can say that he just needs to get back to game speed, and the more he plays will help him adjust. The pessimist can say that it's his fourth year now, he should be up to speed right away. I'm on the fence here, but am definitely worried about him.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
  #20
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,004
vCash: 500
If Myers is awful, then so is Sekera, and so is Ehrhoff, and so is Leopold, and so is Regher, etc.

Focusing on one cat ignores the failure of the entire litter.

I'm not saying there's not question marks surrounding Tyler's development (or lack thereof), but there seems to be chemistry issues affecting the entire defensive unit. I want to see where he (and the group) stands after 10-12 games before I bust out the blow torch and pliers and get medieval on their *****.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
  #21
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
If Myers is awful, then so is Sekera, and so is Ehrhoff, and so is Leopold, and so is Regher, etc.

Focusing on one cat ignores the failure of the entire litter.

I'm not saying there's not question marks surrounding Tyler's development (or lack thereof), but there seems to be chemistry issues affecting the entire defensive unit. I want to see where he (and the group) stands after 10-12 games before I bust out the blow torch and pliers and get medieval on their *****.
He has been the suckiest of a sucky group of defenseman. AINEC

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
  #22
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Lets not forget it took Chara 7 or 8 years to be the player he is now.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
  #23
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
If Myers is awful, then so is Sekera, and so is Ehrhoff, and so is Leopold, and so is Regher, etc.

Focusing on one cat ignores the failure of the entire litter.

I'm not saying there's not question marks surrounding Tyler's development (or lack thereof), but there seems to be chemistry issues affecting the entire defensive unit. I want to see where he (and the group) stands after 10-12 games before I bust out the blow torch and pliers and get medieval on their *****.
Lindy's insistence on going back to Regehr-Myers was just plain dumb.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
  #24
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Across the league, up and down lineups, stars and grinders, almost every player has had some rust and played poorly. Even players who played overseas.

I'd personally give any player about 6-7 games to get it together before I started ripping their game. But, I clearly have more tolerance than many around here.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
  #25
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Lets not forget it took Chara 7 or 8 years to be the player he is now.
Looks like we got 4 years of this excuse left

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.