HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game 4: Predators at Blues 1/24/13 at 7:00 CST

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
He still averages only 7ish even strength minutes. Sobotka and Nichol are averaging well over 9 minutes each. But it doesn't really matter when he can dominate the shifts he does take.
True but they also get time while he is in the box. Like tonight, I remeber Oshie had an extended shift with Nichol and Sobo. Reaves is legit and hasn't given Hitch any reason to not let him play.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:09 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Nichol and Sobotka had almost twice as much ESTOI as Reaves tonight.
No not even close and my theory holds true tonight. Most of the extra 5 on 5 time came from when Reaves was in the box.

not that it matters but http://http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20122013/TH020045.HTM

edit: Im pretty sure that Im reading it right.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP27Blues View Post
True but they also get time while he is in the box. Like tonight, I remeber Oshie had an extended shift with Nichol and Sobo. Reaves is legit and hasn't given Hitch any reason to not let him play.
Nobody is saying he isn't "legit", but there seems to be this belief that he's a more complete player than he actually is.

If the other wingers have to cover an extra 4 or 5 minutes a game every time he plays, that adds up in terms of wear and tear over the course of the season. There are downsides to playing him, and he's not going to start every game.

I say this liking Reaves, and believing that he should start more often than Langenbrunner does. I just think people should start getting used to the idea of him taking the odd game off, because it's going to happen.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:16 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Was at the game. Really solid all around, never really felt like the Preds were threatening. Good bounce back win

Old
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP27Blues View Post
No not even close and my theory holds true tonight. Most of the extra 5 on 5 time came from when Reaves was in the box.

not that it matters but http://http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20122013/TH020045.HTM

edit: Im pretty sure that Im reading it right.
Nichol had 10:20 in ESTOI, and Sobotka had 9:53. Are you suggesting that the entirety of the difference between those numbers and Reaves' 6:39 came during the 5 minutes Reaves was in the box?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Nobody is saying he isn't "legit", but there seems to be this belief that he's a more complete player than he actually is.

If the other wingers have to cover an extra 4 or 5 minutes a game every time he plays, that adds up in terms of wear and tear over the course of the season. There are downsides to playing him, and he's not going to start every game.

I say this liking Reaves, and believing that he should start more often than Langenbrunner does. I just think people should start getting used to the idea of him taking the odd game off, because it's going to happen.
Definitely agree that he isnt a complete player and that he should have days off but thats not to say he doesn't fill his role extremely well. It seems like every game that this fourth line is together, they have extremely good maybe even underrated shifts. It is the best fourth line we can put on the ice.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Nichol had 10:20 in ESTOI, and Sobotka had 9:53. Are you suggesting that the entirety of the difference between those numbers and Reaves' 6:39 came during the 5 minutes Reaves was in the box?
No, but im suggesting that both Nichol and Sobo had 1:54 min of ice time when Reaves was in the box. Which isn't even close to double. Reaves is making the most out of each chance he gets to be on the ice and I know you are not trying to down play his role, I just saying that he isn't missing ice time because of his game.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Mike Liut

I don't mind Redden playing, but I hope it's not Cole sitting every game. I wonder what kind of rotation Hitch has in mind?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

You know your team is great when game-day threads are dominated by arguments over a couple minutes of even-strength icetime for their 12th forward.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
You know your team is great when game-day threads are dominated by arguments over a couple minutes of even-strength icetime for their 12th forward.
Im not arguing and I doubt he would say he is either.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-24-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: I don't think he meant that in a bad way.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

I feel like the blues are one of the few teams that could have a completely dominate performance and still get ragged on on the main board.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Yea, an argument isn't bad. If I was criticizing or complaining, I'd say something like, "bickering." Just observing that when this is the kind of thing that takes up significant space in the GDT, the team must be killing it.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
BlueDream

Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves is truly an amazing 4th-line. I want them to stay together and play a lot. They give you everything you want from the 4th...They are so reliable and create tons of energy, it's fun to watch. Sobotka has been one of the most impressive players thus far on our team IMO, he's really playing well in every aspect of the game. And the other two just bring it on a nightly basis...Reaves with his physical presence, and Nichol with his gritty play, faceoff wins, good defense, etc. These guys rock (literally ).

Old
01-24-2013, 11:36 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Man, Schwartz's defense tonight was great. He was hounding the puck like crazy. His skill is clear even when he's not scoring, but his energy noticeably improves the team. He was always physically aggressive on the forecheck for his size in college and the WJC, but I didn't know how well that would translate to the NHL. Seems like it's working out just fine.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:01 AM
SoulChaser17

Sobotka is one of my favorite players, and him and Nichol are quite obviously the best duo when it comes to penalty killing. They're not the best forwards and they won't score that much, but them along with Reaves on the fourth line is just so good. I love that line. They won't score much, if at all, but they just do so much when it comes to not letting the opposing team score. They are all over the puck and do not back down no matter what. Any team is flat out lucky if they manage to score while that line is on the ice.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
I don't mind Redden playing, but I hope it's not Cole sitting every game. I wonder what kind of rotation Hitch has in mind?
Why would you even consider that? Redden's signing was a low-cost way to pick up added depth to avoid having to play Chorney or Fairchild more than token minutes in The NHL season, and to avoid playing Woywitka on the 2nd defensive shift (e.g. at #4-in case of several injuries). It was NOT to knock Cole into the healthy scratch slot, or down to Peoria.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Very solid. No glaring mistakes, a couple of really calm defensive plays. If he continues to play like that, it was a steal of a signing. Gonna have to see how he looks with less rest and against a team with big, dangerous forwards.
Music to my ears. I wish Redden all the best.Now he need just 5 more games to reach a thousand NHL games.

I would love to see The Blues and Redden in The SC finals this year. I follow mostly the East conference, but hoping for Redden, A Steen and Tarasenko to get a ring this summer.

LGB

Old
01-25-2013, 04:40 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Why would you even consider that? Redden's signing was a low-cost way to pick up added depth to avoid having to play Chorney or Fairchild more than token minutes in The NHL season, and to avoid playing Woywitka on the 2nd defensive shift (e.g. at #4-in case of several injuries). It was NOT to knock Cole into the healthy scratch slot, or down to Peoria.
Well there you go!!!

Old
01-25-2013, 04:58 AM
od71

Solid game, dominated from the beginning till the end. No chance for Predators. But can they play this way whole season plus PO?
I didn't comprehend what crowd was chanting? Ta-ra-su?

Old
01-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Rizzo90

Had GREAT seats for the game tonight. Redden looked "natural" out there with petro, not amazing, but natural. What I mean by that is sometimes i had to look @ the jersey during heated play to see which one of the two it was. Also Pie looked loose, really loose & in charge. I dunno if he felt more comfortable with redden or if he was just back "on" but the two looked like they have played a half season together already.

Backes, Osh, & frenchy looked way better & seem to be catching up legs-wise with those who played during the lockout. Was happy to see Backes being his normal self destroying boards with opposition bodies

After 4 games & I was thinkin this before just watching on TV, & I really hate to say this, but Schwartz does NOT look "ready for prime-time" He looks like the little brother tagging along with his big brother & can't keep up. Last night solidified this notion for me. Bergy & stewart are flying & he just isn't. I love the kid , but would much rather see a faster dags, or even Porter on that line.

Steen , what can you say about this guy?? I might just start referring to him as "stealth", he can sneak almost anywhere & seems to go undected , untill a sweet pass to either Amac or Frank...gotta love what he does.

THe preds couldn't seem to enter the zone without going off side. I suppose we can award that to how we played against them

Old
01-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Honeycutt

Quote:
If Redden plays better than Cole, Cole will be a healthy scratch or in Peoria. THe Blues are in the business of winning this year, and if Redden gives them a better chance to win Cole will be sitting. Cole still has not proven he is an everyday NHL top 4, and with our third line pairing pretty much set, Cole had better start showing the coaches he can play everyday.

Also Petro and Perron looked pretty good tonight! LETS GO BLUES!!

Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Mike Liut

Quote:

Why would I consider that? When Redden plays, who else would sit besides Cole?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:42 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Why would I consider that? When Redden plays, who else would sit besides Cole?
Russell

Old
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Honeycutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Russell
Russell>>Cole. Russel/Polak>>>>>Cole/Polak Our third d pairing is set.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo90 View Post
Had GREAT seats for the game tonight. Redden looked "natural" out there with petro, not amazing, but natural. What I mean by that is sometimes i had to look @ the jersey during heated play to see which one of the two it was. Also Pie looked loose, really loose & in charge. I dunno if he felt more comfortable with redden or if he was just back "on" but the two looked like they have played a half season together already.

Backes, Osh, & frenchy looked way better & seem to be catching up legs-wise with those who played during the lockout. Was happy to see Backes being his normal self destroying boards with opposition bodies

After 4 games & I was thinkin this before just watching on TV, & I really hate to say this, but Schwartz does NOT look "ready for prime-time" He looks like the little brother tagging along with his big brother & can't keep up. Last night solidified this notion for me. Bergy & stewart are flying & he just isn't. I love the kid , but would much rather see a faster dags, or even Porter on that line.

Steen , what can you say about this guy?? I might just start referring to him as "stealth", he can sneak almost anywhere & seems to go undected , untill a sweet pass to either Amac or Frank...gotta love what he does.

THe preds couldn't seem to enter the zone without going off side. I suppose we can award that to how we played against them
I agree that Schwartz got manhandled a little too much last night, but I'm not ready to send him back to the ahl. The preds are a big team. Jaden needs to play a little more like Mcdonald' speed/elusive game vs Stewart and Berglund's power game. Adjustments will be made.

Closed Thread