HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Reimer and Scrivens - finding that #1?

Old
01-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Prophet Kadri

vCash: 500
I hate that our goalies have already been scouted. On Scrivens if you have time to shoot you aim five hole. Reimer aim high glove. We need a goalie that doesn't have a gaping hole in their fundamentals.

Prophet Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
The fact that these goalies have glaringly huge weaknesses isn't a good thing. Teams are going to scout these guys and when they have bad as these two are in terms of weaknesses, it's only a matter of time before they get lit up.

01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
thewave

Error 101: Starter Not Found!

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Revolt

I hated Scrivens post-game interview. Just come out and say you played poorly.

Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Im 1000x more comfortable with Reimer than Scrivens. Even when Scrivenes was playing well i would cringe with every shot on net.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Im 1000x more comfortable with Reimer than Scrivens. Even when Scrivenes was playing well i would cringe with every shot on net.
I feel the same about both but the worst that can happen is a tank and tbh that may be the best thing to have happen.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Ramboshaw

Quote:
Agreed 100%. But it's like trying to find the devil with the shorter horns. Both are playing bad, just which one isn't "as bad".

Ramboshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
The fact that these goalies have glaringly huge weaknesses isn't a good thing. Teams are going to scout these guys and when they have bad as these two are in terms of weaknesses, it's only a matter of time before they get lit up.
Yeah I really hate that our two goalies are basically like bad arcade games that can be beat without fail with one trick. We were really spoiled when we had that decade of Potvin/Joseph/Belfour between 1992-2004...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:23 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I feel the same about both but the worst that can happen is a tank and tbh that may be the best thing to have happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboshaw View Post
Agreed 100%. But it's like trying to find the devil with the shorter horns. Both are playing bad, just which one isn't "as bad".
Reimer has a legitimate reason to be playing shakey, guy has played 2 games in 320 days...... And even then he has been much more reliable. He will bounce back and be a starter at some capacity, maybe not star or elite, but respectable enough to carry a team into the playoffs IMO.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:26 AM
thewave

Quote:
Reimer has a legitimate reason to be playing shakey, guy has played 2 games in 320 days...... And even then he has been much more reliable. He will bounce back and be a starter at some capacity, maybe not star or elite, but respectable enough to carry a team into the playoffs IMO.
Don't hold your breath his glove is about as slow as Schenns legs.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I hate that our goalies have already been scouted. On Scrivens if you have time to shoot you aim five hole. Reimer aim high glove. We need a goalie that doesn't have a gaping hole in their fundamentals.
Scrivens weakness stems from his retarded glove positioning. Someone here mentioned that his glove position makes him hold his stick differently. Not flat and like a ramp, I had that problem when I was...8 yrs old and was taught to not do that, so I stopped and it helped a lot

Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah I really hate that our two goalies are basically like bad arcade games that can be beat without fail with one trick. We were really spoiled when we had that decade of Potvin/Joseph/Belfour between 1992-2004...
Couldn't agree more. I think it shows just how much we need a good goaltender with very little weaknesses.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I think it shows just how much we need a good goaltender with very little weaknesses.
Makes you wonder what's wrong with these athletes and their approach to preparation when they have these fatal, obvious flaws that they can't work on outside of the game environment. How hard would it be for Reimer to learn to catch a puck instead of scrunching up his shoulder and looking surprised or to lay the blade of his stick flat on the ice? Or Ben Scrivens to learn to hold a glove and close his legs?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
black charger

Reimer has played 1 game,give him a chance.He does have a .921 save %.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
unlike Scrivens, Reimer has proven that when he is on his game, it's very tough to beat him

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
black charger

why all the dumping on Reimer.He has a lifetime save% of .912.After looking at NHL.com stats he is comparable with most of the starters in the playing the game today.And playing RW's run and gun style of game that save % is impressive.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Boohoohoo the sky is falling. An objective look at the matter would reveal that at the very least both Scrivens and Reimer are NHL backup material. And that's at their worst- save %s are pretty decent, and as a poster above said, Reimer's career stats hold their own against NHL starters. Oh, they're both pretty young and have a lot of growth room.

Maybe I'm a bit biased as a [soccer] goalie myself, but it pisses me off how quickly people are to irrationally use goalies as scapegoats.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
why all the dumping on Reimer.He has a lifetime save% of .912.After looking at NHL.com stats he is comparable with most of the starters in the playing the game today.And playing RW's run and gun style of game that save % is impressive.
Probably because people like to overreact and let their emotions get the best of them instead of using logic. Nothing new on these boards. Reimer looks to be a solid option moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neas Olc View Post
Boohoohoo the sky is falling. An objective look at the matter would reveal that at the very least both Scrivens and Reimer are NHL backup material. And that's at their worst- save %s are pretty decent, and as a poster above said, Reimer's career stats hold their own against NHL starters. Oh, they're both pretty young and have a lot of growth room.

Maybe I'm a bit biased as a [soccer] goalie myself, but it pisses me off how quickly people are to irrationally use goalies as scapegoats.
Same here ( minus the coach part) I don't understand the hate people give them after one bad game.

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Makes you wonder what's wrong with these athletes and their approach to preparation when they have these fatal, obvious flaws that they can't work on outside of the game environment. How hard would it be for Reimer to learn to catch a puck instead of scrunching up his shoulder and looking surprised or to lay the blade of his stick flat on the ice? Or Ben Scrivens to learn to hold a glove and close his legs?
I couldn't agree more. It doesn't make sense how these guys can't improve outside of the game. You'd think Reimer knowing his glaringly obviously flaw of his glove hand would be rigorously working on that glove hand. It doesn't make sense how no progress can be made.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You tell 'em Neas Olc. You lurker you..

01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
thewave

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. It doesn't make sense how these guys can't improve outside of the game. You'd think Reimer knowing his glaringly obviously flaw of his glove hand would be rigorously working on that glove hand. It doesn't make sense how no progress can be made.
Old habits die hard

Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
black charger

Quote:

Reimer's played 1 game this year,how can you be so sure his glove hand hasn't improved.Neither Pittsburg goal was a glove save.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Reimer's played 1 game this year,how can you be so sure his glove hand hasn't improved.Neither Pittsburg goal was a glove save.
The Moulson goal looked like a glove issue in the other game he played...

Old
01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:

Scrivens has done nothing to even hint that he belongs at the NHL level as a backup. Maybe that will change in the future. Reimer at least as shown some success in the NHL.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:34 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Every goalie in the NHL has been scouted.