HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Ani simov mal

vCash: 500
I'm 6'2 but I like to cut the stick so that it's under my chin (without skates). I've been using easton se16's with iginla curves but they're all broken now. I liked the iginla curve but i'd like a slightly higher lie.

Also, which other sticks on the market are similar to the se16?

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Bandito is pretty decent, not amazing, and it's a hair heavy, just make sure the shaft is not super light to balance it.

Ani, try either a P14 curve (I find the tapered toe makes it play like a bit higher lie and it shoots lower than a P92) or go custom with the Base blades. Getzlaf is the highest lie you can find but it's more open.

The EQ50's and Mako's are pretty similar and should be on clearance all over the place.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
sniper515

Looking for some stick buying advice, figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm going to pro hockey life tonight to grab a new stick. Im not looking to spend too much. These are the 4 sticks I'm considering ATM
Reebok's 3.0.3 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons Mako M1 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons 55S (59.99)
Bauer Nexus 400 (59.99)

Additional information
I'm playing juvenile house league right now, moving to mens league next year
I'm a big guy (6'3, 250)
Love taking wristers, hardly ever take slapshots.

sniper515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Under $100 they're all pretty awful, so whichever one looks the nicest.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
zeeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The Bandito is a very decent mid-end standard blade.

The lie numbers are misleading as every company measure their lies differently. See if you can ignore them and gauge by curve equivalence and simply 'eyeballing' it. The Kovalchuk is similar to the P88 Kane from Bauer, P40 Hedman from Reebok etc.etc. Check out Jarick's curve chart or the curve database on MSH.
Thanks, I completely forgot about the curve charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The Bandito is pretty decent, not amazing, and it's a hair heavy, just make sure the shaft is not super light to balance it.
Thanks. I was checking out its weight and the "specs" on it list the weight as the same grams as my wood 950, and it does make my stick a bit unbalanced feeling.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:34 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper515 View Post
Looking for some stick buying advice, figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm going to pro hockey life tonight to grab a new stick. Im not looking to spend too much. These are the 4 sticks I'm considering ATM
Reebok's 3.0.3 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons Mako M1 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons 55S (59.99)
Bauer Nexus 400 (59.99)

Additional information
I'm playing juvenile house league right now, moving to mens league next year
I'm a big guy (6'3, 250)
Love taking wristers, hardly ever take slapshots.
Check out the M1 II which was just recently released. I assume the stick guy will know what you're talking about, but if not :
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EM12

They have a Rapidshot system setup to test out sticks with. Grab a couple and try them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Can't decide which stick to grab. I quit even trying to do two piece, it's too much of a hassle finding shafts I like. I found one used and I absolutely hated the feel of it.

I think i'll do Warrior or buy me a Supreme Total One. I have actually never tried Warrior and I hear they are durable, yet i've seen players move from Warrior to Bauer so I have no idea. This is what i'm looking at:

Bauer Supreme Total One- 129.99
Warrior Widow Composite- 129.98 (15% off on top of this, 160 at Total Hockey)
Warrior Diablo- 104.98
Warrior Dynasty- 109.98

I just put the Diablo and Dynasty because I hear questions about the Widow's durability. There is also a Dolomite for 100 which i've never used Warrior so.

All recommendations if these suck. My top price is probably $160.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Also will the price of the Warrior sticks go down or should I just buy it now with the 15% off?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
AIREAYE

With any and all hockey equipment, price is inversely proportional to time passed if we assume one cannot ever go back in time.

The T1 is a phenomenal stick, as is the Dolomite and Widow. All three are distinctly and noticeably different in terms of feel and how they will perform. Unless you give us some more info regarding your preferences, we cannot actually help you.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
With any and all hockey equipment, price is inversely proportional to time passed if we assume one cannot ever go back in time.

The T1 is a phenomenal stick, as is the Dolomite and Widow. All three are distinctly and noticeably different in terms of feel and how they will perform. Unless you give us some more info regarding your preferences, we cannot actually help you.
Looking for something durable with still some performance. The reason I sway from Easton is due to the durable factor.

I don't lean into my shots alot, I take fast wrist and snap shots. I rarely ever take slapshots. I have heard stories of both the Total One and Widow being not durable, which is my main worry since I know both will have alot of performance.

I play about once a week and don't get much slashes. I'm an average player not a beginner I just don't get alot of time to play anymore with college. I'm more of a passing player than a shooting player but I don't want the thing to be jello if I take several shots.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:27 PM
AIREAYE

Cool, I mean to be honest, you don't NEED performance for the kind of hockey you are playing. That being said, all of them are great sticks. It all comes down to individual preference. Regarding durability, as long as you're not the type to go through sticks regularly, this shouldn't be as big of a concern.

The Dolo is probably your best value. I strongly feel that it's a great 'jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none' type of stick. While it's release, puck feel, power transfer and overall performance might not stack up to a T1 or Widow, it does everything well.

I have a Widow, Dolo two-piece (almost the same thing) and a One95 (T1 predecessor sharing same mid-kick release) and can easily interchange between them. The Widow I feel has the best puck feel; it's a very sharp and crisp sensation without being overly rigid (which I think makes it harder to cradle passes), almost a 'just right' feeling between feel and blade stiffness. The release on the Widow is very quick and true, but has a unique 'flinging' sensation loading it up, meaning that you might feel the upper half of the shaft flex a little while the taper remains solid. The only drawback would be that I always feel that it's a little fragile; that I'm always afraid to lean into it, dig in corners or stick check someone. It's held up fine so far save for a couple of chips in the hosel however.

The One95's mid kick is where it really shines. Slapshots are so much better with it. The release is a little slower than the Widow due to the different kickpoint, but I feel more confident in placing shots in terms of accuracy. I think 'control' is a good word.

Jarick can give you some insight into the Diablo/Dynasty.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Cool, I mean to be honest, you don't NEED performance for the kind of hockey you are playing. That being said, all of them are great sticks. It all comes down to individual preference. Regarding durability, as long as you're not the type to go through sticks regularly, this shouldn't be as big of a concern.

The Dolo is probably your best value. I strongly feel that it's a great 'jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none' type of stick. While it's release, puck feel, power transfer and overall performance might not stack up to a T1 or Widow, it does everything well.

I have a Widow, Dolo two-piece (almost the same thing) and a One95 (T1 predecessor sharing same mid-kick release) and can easily interchange between them. The Widow I feel has the best puck feel; it's a very sharp and crisp sensation without being overly rigid (which I think makes it harder to cradle passes), almost a 'just right' feeling between feel and blade stiffness. The release on the Widow is very quick and true, but has a unique 'flinging' sensation loading it up, meaning that you might feel the upper half of the shaft flex a little while the taper remains solid. The only drawback would be that I always feel that it's a little fragile; that I'm always afraid to lean into it, dig in corners or stick check someone. It's held up fine so far save for a couple of chips in the hosel however.

The One95's mid kick is where it really shines. Slapshots are so much better with it. The release is a little slower than the Widow due to the different kickpoint, but I feel more confident in placing shots in terms of accuracy. I think 'control' is a good word.

Jarick can give you some insight into the Diablo/Dynasty.
Thanks so much man, i'll PM him if he doesn't see this haha.

Yeah I mean i'm just looking for a medium stick and I know alot of people like the Widow and Total One so it is a hard choice. I'll ask around as well and get the feel of the sticks before I purchase.

The 15% off is for Hockey Monkey if you're interested. Thanks again.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You really did pick very different sticks to compare, and it depends on where you like the kickpoint.

T1 = mid kick
Dynasty = low-mid kick
Diablo/Widow = low kick

That's going to change how the sticks load and feel. If you like to feel the stick flexing, go with the T1. If you don't and prefer the stick to feel rigid, go Diablo or Warrior. The Dynasty is somewhere in between and will probably feel comfortable for people that don't really have a preference.

To that end, I've owned and used 75 flex mid kick, 67-70 flex low-mid kick, and dropped all the way to 55 flex for very low kick.

Another way to look at it, if you like to keep your hands close together when you shoot, you're probably better off with a mid kick. If you like to drop your bottom hand down while shooting, low kick might work better.

All the sticks should have good puck feel. Total One should be pretty light and balanced, Diablo and Warrior are pretty light and feel light in the hands, and the Dynasty is just a bit heavier (though still light in general) and feels a bit heavier in the hands.

I had bad luck with the Diablo as the blade broke on my first use, but that could have been a bad stick. I know guys using Widows for 2 years. The Dynasty lasted me about a year of off and on use. I haven't owned a T1 but I think it will be fine for durability.

I will say if you decide to go between the Diablo or Widow, spring for the Widow as I think it's got a bit stronger construction on the blade.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You really did pick very different sticks to compare, and it depends on where you like the kickpoint.

T1 = mid kick
Dynasty = low-mid kick
Diablo/Widow = low kick

That's going to change how the sticks load and feel. If you like to feel the stick flexing, go with the T1. If you don't and prefer the stick to feel rigid, go Diablo or Warrior. The Dynasty is somewhere in between and will probably feel comfortable for people that don't really have a preference.

To that end, I've owned and used 75 flex mid kick, 67-70 flex low-mid kick, and dropped all the way to 55 flex for very low kick.

Another way to look at it, if you like to keep your hands close together when you shoot, you're probably better off with a mid kick. If you like to drop your bottom hand down while shooting, low kick might work better.

All the sticks should have good puck feel. Total One should be pretty light and balanced, Diablo and Warrior are pretty light and feel light in the hands, and the Dynasty is just a bit heavier (though still light in general) and feels a bit heavier in the hands.

I had bad luck with the Diablo as the blade broke on my first use, but that could have been a bad stick. I know guys using Widows for 2 years. The Dynasty lasted me about a year of off and on use. I haven't owned a T1 but I think it will be fine for durability.

I will say if you decide to go between the Diablo or Widow, spring for the Widow as I think it's got a bit stronger construction on the blade.
Thanks man, it's hard because I can get both sticks for pretty cheap.

I'll head into my local shop and see how the sticks feel before buying but i'm leaning Total One after reading what you said.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
finnishdman

I'm probably going to buy a new stick this weekend cause my 67 flex ONE.9 feels really whippy for me. I have few sticks in my mind, ONE.6, Nexus 600 and Vapor X 4.0. Can someone tell me which stick has best puck feel, most responsive shaft and feels most balanced. Also, I'm 5'8 and 145 lbs, is 77 flex good for me?

finnishdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
AIREAYE

I believe the X4.0 and Nexus 600 are better balanced/lighter than the One.6

That being said for your height, perhaps a slightly stiffer intermediate or an even whippier/shorter 75/70 SR could work. Check out the Warrior DT4 in a 70 flex. Cutting that stick down (normally 59 or 60" iirc) should give you what you're looking for.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
sniper515

Is there a certain amount of time you need to wait after putting an extension in before you use the stick?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Is there a certain amount of time you need to wait after putting an extension in before you use the stick?
Not really, the glue cools and hardens pretty quickly. As long as its not right from the pro shop to the ice you don't have to worry

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
sniper515

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Not really, the glue cools and hardens pretty quickly. As long as its not right from the pro shop to the ice you don't have to worry
So I should be good with getting it done around 5 and being on the ice for 9?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnishdman View Post
I'm probably going to buy a new stick this weekend cause my 67 flex ONE.9 feels really whippy for me. I have few sticks in my mind, ONE.6, Nexus 600 and Vapor X 4.0. Can someone tell me which stick has best puck feel, most responsive shaft and feels most balanced. Also, I'm 5'8 and 145 lbs, is 77 flex good for me?
Well jumping from a ONE.9 to any of those will be a drop off. They should all be halfway decent sticks and pretty similar construction. Feel/response/balance won't be nearly as good as the ONE.9 for any of them.

But another thing to keep in mind is the Vapor will feel a little stiffer than the Supreme/Nexus sticks because it's lower kick. You might be comfortable with a 77 flex in the Supreme/Nexus but with the Vapor I think it might be too stiff.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
So I should be good with getting it done around 5 and being on the ice for 9?
I will play with a two-piece or butt end within about ten minutes. If it's not wiggling around, it's fine.

But I don't use glue at all, I use strips of tape to shim the fit. It should be pretty snug when the shaft is heated and when it cools it will hold on tight.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
zeeto

Anyone know if there would be any issue with using maple/oak in a plug? My LHS doesn't have any plugs, and I wanted to grab one to put just the tenon in my shaft to help with balance, so I was just going to make one. Most I see are made of ash, and I'm assuming any hardwood would be fine. Just wasn't sure if there was a expand/contract "issue" with using other woods.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I decided to go with Bauer Total One but does anyone know why there is no Giroux curve available for even the APX or NXG?

I might go with the Kesler although i'm scared about trying the square toe. It was that or Staal and figuring every curve is sold out other than Staal on most models, i'm iffy.

I'm kind of at that weird stage between a lie 6 and 7 in Bauer. I skate upright for the majority of the team in our defensive and neutral zone and I would like a stick that reflects that.

The Giroux curve i've only seen available on Bauer's website when you order the top end models.

Lie: 7
Toe: Round
Curve: Heel
Face: Open
Length: Short-Medium

Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Nevermind couldn't even find the Total One with the Kesler curve although i'd take it in a heartbeat.

I went with the Toews P14 instead. Got a steal from Hockey Monkey, 110 for the T1

It's not the NXG but frankly i'm not blowing $240 on a stick when that money can go to skate upgrades. Thanks guys for your help.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Ruhnie

Well my TO experiment is NOT working out. Mostly because I couldn't find it with my preferred blade, but something about snappers/wristers just doesn't feel right to me. So with that said, I needs help on picking a new stick. I have been wracking my brain looking at sticks online and in-store all weekend and am completely lost. Here are my points of consternation:

- I have no idea what kind of flex point works best for me. I always have used the standard mid-flex non-engineered flex sticks like SE16, Synergies, Dolomites, etc. Had a couple of S17s and they never felt right to me but I honestly think it's b/c I didn't understand how to feel and properly load sticks at the time. The TO seems completely unlike any other stick I've ever used and is just bizarro.
- I LOOOVE the puck feel and how light the top end Bauers are, but I went through 2 APX's in a 6-mo period last year and am a bit gun shy on dropping cash on another top-end Bauer. That said...the Nexus sounds delicious.
- I don't know if I need to drop down to an intermediate or not. I usually get the 75/85 flex sticks but have to cut them 2-4 inches. I have a hard time flexing them. I really wish there was a senior 65 flex.

Some sticks I am considering:

Easton Int EQ50 - $99
Easton Int RS - $169
Warrior Widow (Int or Sr) - $120
Bauer Nexus 1000 - $249
CCM RBZ - $249

I've gone through so many sticks the last couple of years I can't even compare them in my head as far as what I like/dislike about them. Just don't know where to go next on this magical journey of hockey stick obsession.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote