HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Referee Slamming Gerbe into the glass?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
SabresGirl06

vCash: 500
Referee Slamming Gerbe into the glass?

So I've been thinking about this since last night. Not only was the Gerbe hit from behind (a major IMO) but who the hell was that Referee to grab him like that? Ive been waiting to hear something from the Sabres in regards to that and I havent read or heard anything.
The referee is just that, not an officer of the law. Will anything be mentioned of this from the organization, the league, etc? I think something needs to be done to address that and I can't believe it hasnt been a major headline.

Thoughts?

SabresGirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Either Ray or Sylvester made a comment about it last night. He said the NHL will probably address it, but we'll never hear about it.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

A ref shouldn't show up a player like that. It was disrespectful and uncalled for. He should of just grabbed his jersey, held his ground and talked to him. No need for that level of physicality.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresGirl06 View Post
So I've been thinking about this since last night. Not only was the Gerbe hit from behind (a major IMO) but who the hell was that Referee to grab him like that? Ive been waiting to hear something from the Sabres in regards to that and I havent read or heard anything.
The referee is just that, not an officer of the law. Will anything be mentioned of this from the organization, the league, etc? I think something needs to be done to address that and I can't believe it hasnt been a major headline.

Thoughts?
Referees do in fact get reprimanded for bad calls, etc., but the league never makes that info public. I have faith that something will happen (maybe he'll get some games off), we just won't know about it.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I'm sure he'll be disciplined. The NHL just doesn't disclose that stuff publicly. It was a major bush move. What happens if the guy was concussed?

Gerbe was just responding to LaRose chirping at him, I didn't see a linesman tackling LaRose.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

i must have missed this. what happened?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i must have missed this. what happened?
LaRose boards Gerbe, obvious intent to injure. Refs call two minute boarding penalty. The scrum breaks up and as LaRose is skating away from Gerbe, he startings chirping at him. Gerbe gets pissed and moves toward LaRose (there is already a linesman standing between them). The Ref grabs Gerbe and then skates him into the boards, not very gently either. I wouldn't call it a "slam" but it was definitely out of line.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Ace1963

Totally unfair. If Gerbe would have laid a hand on him, he would have been suspended 10-20 games (remember Mogilny?). The official should be suspended himself.

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
cybresabre
desire = √suffering

vCash: 1132
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
LaRose boards Gerbe, obvious intent to injure. Refs call two minute boarding penalty. The scrum breaks up and as LaRose is skating away from Gerbe, he startings chirping at him. Gerbe gets pissed and moves toward LaRose (there is already a linesman standing between them). The Ref grabs Gerbe and then skates him into the boards, not very gently either. I wouldn't call it a "slam" but it was definitely out of line.
Nate was chirping LaRose, but the penalty was on Bowman.
09:23 CAR Drayson Bowman : Boarding - 2 min (Nathan Gerbe)

The ref grabbed Gerbe by the front of the jersey with both hands, lifted the jersey with his fists up to Gerbe's chin and skated him up against the boards. All that was missing was the ref saying "Gimme your lunch money, Twinky," because it was a scene out of a junior high hallway. I've never seen an official do anything like that.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
LaRose didn't board Gerbe, it was Bowman.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I can't remember ever seeing any official get that rough with any player, even aggressively breaking up a melee.

Very odd, that's for sure.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:07 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I can't remember ever seeing any official get that rough with any player, even aggressively breaking up a melee.

Very odd, that's for sure.
Need more Kevin Collins aka "the White Knight".

Old
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
This team is so gutless...how come no one beat the crap out of that official afterwards?? MILLER LUCIC

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3992--nhl.html

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Need more Kevin Collins aka "the White Knight".
He drove RJ nuts when he would stop a fight before it got going. "The prince of peace" was another nickname RJ had for him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He drove RJ nuts when he would stop a fight before it got going. "The prince of peace" was another nickname RJ had for him.
RJ is just fantastic, isn't he?

I miss him!

I hope he gets well soon. Word is he won't go tonight either.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
This team is so gutless...how come no one beat the crap out of that official afterwards?? MILLER LUCIC
9/10

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
This was embarrassing and f'd up

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

O'Hollaran did more to Gerbe than Myers did to Bowman. I honestly don't think that the grab is all that big of a deal, but it certainly looked stupid and bush league. And I agree, no player would get away with handling an official in the same manner.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
As someone who's spent some time officiating in beer leagues/low levels of hockey I thought it was ridiculous and out of line. Players can't touch refs (and rightly so) so refs should not be allowed to manhandle players like that, either. This was not breaking up a fight, it was pushing and pinning a guy to the boards who was understandably upset over taking another dangerous hit just like the one that had previously injured him.

If Gerbe crosses the line, send him to the box. The ref is almost instigating trouble with Gerbe by doing that.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:21 PM
smitter88

Tangentially related...does Bowman have a hearing scheduled for his hit? Was much more malicious than many we saw last year.

smitter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
As someone who's spent some time officiating in beer leagues/low levels of hockey I thought it was ridiculous and out of line. Players can't touch refs (and rightly so) so refs should not be allowed to manhandle players like that, either. This was not breaking up a fight, it was pushing and pinning a guy to the boards who was understandably upset over taking another dangerous hit just like the one that had previously injured him.

If Gerbe crosses the line, send him to the box. The ref is almost instigating trouble with Gerbe by doing that.
I think the ref finally met someone smaller than him so he CAN do that. I'm sure Gerbe didn't say anything worse than what is usually heard in moments like that. the Shove was uncalled for.

What was funny to me was Larose was free to roam wherever he wanted yet the guy that almost got injured is pinned against the glass, and I think the homerism of Sylvester and Ray was the best part.

But it happened, time to move on.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
OneBuffalo3

Heres the link, for those who missed it.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3992--nhl.html

OneBuffalo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Some additional thoughts: at the end of the day, it's not a big deal and obviously had no impact on the game, but it showed a total lack of respect and good professional conduct. It's no different than when a cop roughs up someone not because it's necessary, but simply because he can get away with it. You hit or shove a cop, even in self-defense, and you're completely screwed. If Gerbe even slightly shoves back there he's out of the game and probably suspended. It's just plain disrespectful to act like that in a situation where you know the other person has to grin and bear it, nevermind it's awkward and weird as you know he's only doing it because Gerbe is 4'2".

Refs in any sport only touch a player to break up a physical altercation. If the player is out of line then send him to the box. I would think the league at least gave the man a call and told him that kind of conduct is unacceptable.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

Where's John Scott? Let him protect the dwarf from the referees!

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote