HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Re: Smid's covering the puck penalty

The refs made the wrong call. It is not illegal to cover the puck with your hand under the new rule, it is only illegal if in doing so you are preventing the opponent from getting at it. The simple act of playing the puck forward, as Smid did, is not automatically illegal. The refs misinterpreted it:

Anytime a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal if from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed for "closing his hand on the puck."

Add that to the giant pile of refereeing ****-ups last night.

reference: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=414380

Quote:
To summarize, when no advantage over an opponent is gained the "catch and release" philosophy remains in effect and allows the play to continue.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:23 AM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
That was one hell of a finish. I love seeing that type of thing regardless of the teams involved. Yak sure is fun to watch.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
BowDangles

How key was that play at the end of the game where LA came across the red line with the open net and Taylor Hall blocked the shot and sent the play the other way. (which led to Quick freezing it and the game tying face-off).

Hall seems to elevate his game even more (if possible) when we pull our goalie.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Funniest thing was seeing yak stratal the boards, and pump his fist at the crows when nuge scored. :laugh

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
doulos

It could easily be interpreted that sliding the puck away from the other players IS preventing them from playing the puck. Hockey is played with sticks, not hands. Fair call. Players need to be smarter.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
It could easily be interpreted that sliding the puck away from the other players IS preventing them from playing the puck. Hockey is played with sticks, not hands. Fair call. Players need to be smarter.
It could, but that would be wrong. It's the hand itself that has to be preventing the player from playing. No opponent was, at the time Smid played the puck with his hand, trying to play the puck.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I said to myself all game long that these refs are ruining the game of hockey. What happened to the motto "let the boys play?"

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Re: Smid's covering the puck penalty

The refs made the wrong call. It is not illegal to cover the puck with your hand under the new rule, it is only illegal if in doing so you are preventing the opponent from getting at it. The simple act of playing the puck forward, as Smid did, is not automatically illegal. The refs misinterpreted it:

Anytime a player places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal if from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed for "closing his hand on the puck."

Add that to the giant pile of refereeing ****-ups last night.

reference: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=414380
Ive seen it called when no players were even around the player glove passing the puck.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
It could, but that would be wrong. It's the hand itself that has to be preventing the player from playing. No opponent was, at the time Smid played the puck with his hand, trying to play the puck.
I would disagree with that completely. By playing the puck with his hand he prevented the players from having access to it.

So here we have two people watching the same play, and coming to two different conclusions, even after looking at the rule.

Reffing is a very difficult thing to do and while I think the game overall had some suspect calls on both teams, much of what people are complaining about were legitimate penalties that teams need to adjust to.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
whatever... Like you said.. u missed most of the game so have no idea what the fans had to go through.. I dont blame them one bit for littering the ice.

It was a not a game of hockey but a game of reffing... even after a thrilling finish this game was less entertaining than the 6-3 thrashing by SJ ... Both teams and the fans were sick of the refs by 3rd period and were just shaking their heads in the end.
I'm in my 40's and have been to many emotionally charged sporting events, some of them I admit I was drinking at.
and many of these events occured when i was more emotionally invested in the teams and the sport. unlike my more casual fandom now.

so, um, yes. I do have an idea what the fans had to go through. both the sober and drunk ones.

and no I don't see how you can justify throwing thing from your seats towards and onto the ice.
boo all you want, but throwing things crosses the line, and even when I've been drunk I have been smart enough to know it's wrong.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Guy on the radio just had a dynamite suggestion, make it mandatory for the refs to do an interview with media after all games to be accountable for their actions as players and coaches have to.
More than half of them would be like a deer in headlights, wouldn't have a clue. Some of these guys are a complete joke. I wonder how they felt standing there with 18,000 fans telling you that ya suck, and it being warranted. One shot from TSN showed Kowal like he was going to ***** his pants and Kimmerly standing there with a little grin like his master plan was going as planned.

hossy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I said to myself all game long that these refs are ruining the game of hockey. What happened to the motto "let the boys play?"
That motto has been long gone. Part of the issue is it's the start of the year with some new rules and the fact that they are calling everything. I suspect it slowly tones down.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Whats funnier is that on that "flames website", people that don't hate Nail and the celebration are being branded as closet Oiler fans.

Its absolutely hilarious on how paranoid and delusional they are hahaha

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
CROTT

Hemsky is finally healthy and back to his old self for the first time since 2010, and all the haters still want to run him out of town. He still has his flaws, but whats wrong with a player that can change the game and actually wants to be an Oiler?

The way I look at it as long as he doesn't regress there's nothing wrong with him playing out his contract. Someone has to play the tough minutes, so the kids can get the easier match ups.

His play and short contract are perfect for a team that needs secondary scoring, until the kids are ready to dominate. Gagner has been playing great, but like Hemsky he has been inconsistent the last few seasons. But at least when Hemsky is inconsistent he produces at >.8ppg, while Gagner has been stuck at .6ppg. I'll admit Gagner's over all games has improved 10 fold over the last few seasons, but he can't seam to improve his production since his rookie season. There's no good reason to ship Hemsky out of town because Gagner has had a few good games.

Why not just sit back and enjoy watching one of the best top sixes in the league? When was the last time you could say that about the Oilers?

CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Everest

Its amazing how much "content" last night affords a potential post. Im typically pretty bad for long posts...but...I could go on all day after eberything that went down last night.

Probably safe to assume most of it has been covered already

I'll do my best to be uncommon...

On reffing...The game was officiated poorly. Lets just get the most obvious thing out of the way right now. Stripes was under some sort of optically compromised mode last night.

But also...some of the calls weren't "totally" the fault of the refs. "Visor Instigation" is one of these chicken**** products of the NHL's so called "think tank" and sadly the on ice refs have to back up this BS. It makes it tough for the players to know ALL the rules when there are SO MANY rules. And it sickens me that thats' the NHL we live with today.

Same goes for gloving the puck in the "D" zone.

It should be 100 X's more simple/straight forward.

Either players can fight...or...they can't. And either players can glove the puck....or...they can't. ENOUGH WITH THE CHICKEN**** SUB-RULES ALREADY!!!

The 5 on 3 face off infraction PIM's...sorta the same thing...but...that was more on the on ice officials.

Its really simple: You don't make that call on a 5 on 3. That faceoff is going to be won by the advantadged team 95 times out of 100. Its painfully ticky tack to be throwing centremen out at all anymore...but on a 5 on 3...you gotta' be kidding me!!!???

And the disallowed goal took the cake. It really was one of the worst sequences ofreffing Ive seen, ANYWHERE, in a long time. I think it ends up as a testament to how POORLY these officials actually understand/interpret the game anymore.

In a "last second situation" such as that...we KNOW there is going to be desperation play in and around the defending net. Players are going to trade paint and guys are going to get tight to the net. Thats part of what makes it exciting...and more than that...thats how you score goals for petes sake!

To first CALL a GOAL...and then discuss it at all...is a bit suspect in the first place. I think the end zone ref should be in full responsibility of calling goals and the ONLY place he consults with is the "war room" for anything admissable to be replayed. Goals should not be ruled on via "jury". Thats MICKEY MOUSE and UNPROFESSIONAL.

But they got talking together and as soon as they did I knew they were going to botch it up.

As a former level III ref...the way I saw that play...I saw a lucky break going the way of the Oilers when Gagner got tangled up with Quick in a spot on the ice where he IS allowed to be.

I would have honestly called that a goal 10 out of 10 times without hesitation.

As for the ultimate outcome...

Mother Russia delivered sweet justice to tie the game. I have no problem with the celebration. It was a very dramatic game and warranted such a celly.

And finally...as fun and crazy as it all was...the Oilers need to keep it real for the next 48 hours and be ready for the next game.

We deserved the win. We got it. And now the team needs to be acting like "pros" by moving ahead and getting ready for the next game. Don't let the crazy emotion linger or distract from whats up ahead.

Great game! Wow!

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm in my 40's and have been to many emotionally charged sporting events, some of them I admit I was drinking at.
and many of these events occured when i was more emotionally invested in the teams and the sport. unlike my more casual fandom now.

so, um, yes. I do have an idea what the fans had to go through. both the sober and drunk ones.

and no I don't see how you can justify throwing thing from your seats towards and onto the ice.
boo all you want, but throwing things crosses the line, and even when I've been drunk I have been smart enough to know it's wrong.
whatever.. you cross the line if you think it is fair.. take the punishment and move on..
What is it.. an extra minor for delay of game?

Not saying that I want to see it again.. just that the fans had good reasons.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:48 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
To first CALL a GOAL...and then discuss it at all...is a bit suspect in the first place. I think the end zone ref should be in full responsibility of calling goals and the ONLY place he consults with is the "war room" for anything admissable to be replayed. Goals should not be ruled on via "jury". Thats MICKEY MOUSE and UNPROFESSIONAL.

But they got talking together and as soon as they did I knew they were going to botch it up.

It's a new focus from the league, as requested from the GMs, that these sorts of jury style discussions be allowed by all four officials, particularly in cases of goalie interference. I totally agree that it's the wrong way to go about things, but the refs are really just following the new mandate given to them.

Still, the wrong call was made, which makes it even worse that four guys still got it wrong.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Наиль Якупов ‏@Nail10_1993
"OILERS FUNS! Ur great !!!!! Thanks for support us !!!! I enjoy when you very LOUUUUUUUUDDDD!!!!!"

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Pointteen

Man oh man do I ever wish I caught this game. The highlights are insane. It looks like the only reason the Kings really won was because of Quick.
That Carter goal was because of a bad move by Nick Schultz. Oi.

And what was with Smid? I didn't see that in the Oilers' site highlights. Anyone have video of it? He got an instigator which I may hate or love.

Why was the first goal called off? Honestly it looks like Quick held Gagner's leg more than anything. Maybe I'm more of a homer than I think.

Nuge's pass was incredible.

I can't believe they won that game. That was just crazy.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
whatever.. you cross the line if you think it is fair.. take the punishment and move on..

so if i'm ticked at a game throw my full container of soda, don't throw it far enough to get to the ice and nail you in the back of the head. you'd be ok with it as sometimes it's justified to show your emotions by throwing things? you'd just shrug your shoulders and take it as the price to pay to go to a game?
hey. the refs were bad. it's justified. I had good reasons.
you're a much more forgiving person than I am.

regardless. it's not worth it to argue about it. you're right. whatever.

back to just talking about the game itself.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Darren Dregers twitter:

Yak's celly may have soured a few Kings, but I'm sure it's a 1-time thing fueled by a wild game. I'm a crusty traditionalist and I loved it.

hossy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Everest

Quote:

When a call is made which totally disgraces the game...such as last night...fans going over the top is "sorta" warranted.

The danger is...whats being thrown? Beer? Programs? Thats ok. But we don't want to see anyone getting hurt...because someone threw a coin or a puck or something like that.

Therefore...I prefer to keep it to just verbal protest because if throwing stuff on the ice is condoned...its just a matter of time until the wrong thing gets thrown on the ice.

Not a line I want to see being approached. But ya...I get why they did it last night.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
It's a new focus from the league, as requested from the GMs, that these sorts of jury style discussions be allowed by all four officials, particularly in cases of goalie interference. I totally agree that it's the wrong way to go about things, but the refs are really just following the new mandate given to them.

Still, the wrong call was made, which makes it even worse that four guys still got it wrong.
The four man system is as much a problem as it is a solution. Id be down with going back to one ref.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Hockey Nightmare

I thought it was clear that Sam's skate was stuck and he was trying to dislodge it. He's no fool. He knows he's got to try to do that in order for a goal to count.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Dabomb

One of the strangest games I've ever witnessed. Even though the rebuild has been hard, its games like these that make it all worth it. Just something about late comebacks at Rexall Place. Simply incredible.

Yakupov and Schultz are amazing. Yaks has the speed, the shot, one-timer, and now showing his great baseball hand-eye skills (thought he said he never played baseball before lol). Pure goal scorer. And J.Schultz did look kinda like a Doughty-lite last night. The poise, the offence, the way he controls the blueline on the PP and keeping pucks in.. WOW. Krueger must really love the kid too.. leading Oilers in TOI in his 3rd game in the NHL. Kid's gonna be a stud.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote