HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Will Look to Move Ben Bishop

Old
01-25-2013, 09:19 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He played really well in Ottawa when he was brought in after Anderson cut himself. He's obviously huge at 6'7, moves extremely well for a guy his size and is one of the best puck handling goalies I've seen. Tons of upside there, definite #1 potential and he's ready to play now.
10 games. He played 10 games last season and was .500 in those games. You honestly think that other teams are going to look at that body of work, ignore his other performances, and go on that? Bishop isn't even a top goaltender in the AHL.

26 year old back up goaltenders who have no track record of success aren't worth a lot. A 2nd or 3rd round pick is probably all he's worth. Anything more is going to have strings attached in the shape of a big contract someone wants to dump or a player with little value where the team wants to rid the organization of a contract.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
As I said on page 2, Hjalmarsson is not getting dealt. He is especially not getting dealt for Bishop.

However, Stanton and a 2nd for Bishop is amazingly fair.
I've watched Stanton play and I would take this deal and run.

If he didn't pan out, the Senators still would have Borowieki waiting in the wings.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
What's to stop a team paying a 2nd+ because they feel Bishop could be a good goalie for them? If there is a bidding war he could return a decent piece. Seeing as how Murray paid a 2nd round pick to get him, I think it's fair to say he'd want at least similar value back, but its likely he would want to get more than he paid for Bishop.

Teams who want a good young goaltender, remember: you have to give to get. There's no sense in the Sens trading Bishop for spare pieces.
What stops a big payout for Bishop is the fact that everyone knows you have another goalie you value more just waiting to take on the backup role and that you will lose Bishop for nothing once you send him down and put him on waivers. Plus he hasnt shown enough at the NHL level to suggest he's worth much more than what they paid to get him. So yeah a 2nd or 3rd and a spare piece that doesnt really fit in somebody elses lineup.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Dirtysweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Depth is important and the asking price is low. You can have him without giving up any NHL talent.

In a shortened season it will be nice to have the luxury of a backup who can push for the starter position if Crawford stumbles at all.

I'm not saying you should rush to make a deal or pay through the roof, but the answer to your question is fairly obvious IMO.
My point is that the Hawks are not desperate for goaltender right now...therefore the return on Bishop would not be as great. Now, if it were a team with backstop problems like Phoenix/Tampa or anyone else of that ilk.....well you know.

Dirtysweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:49 AM
General Granny*

I would do Bishop for Potter straight up if he's available.

I could see Murray asking for Smid ( hes a big fan of his, tried to get him in the Heatly trade) or maybe Whitney, a veteran soon to be UFA.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Ben Bishop to Oilers for Peckham/Potter and a 2nd? Thoughts?
I would take Potter please.

I will get the papers and fax them in.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
I would do Bishop for Potter straight up if he's available.

I could see Murray asking for Smid ( hes a big fan of his, tried to get him in the Heatly trade) or maybe Whitney, a veteran soon to be UFA.
Ottawa would have to add to get Smid and it doesn't make sense from an Edmonton perspective.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would take Potter please.

I will get the papers and fax them in.
Another bottom pairing defense?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Another bottom pairing defense?
Do your research, watch some games before you make that type of statement. He's Edm top pair with Smid.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Do your research, watch some games before you make that type of statement. He's Edm top pair with Smid.
Calm down body, I was asking a question. I don't watch Edmonton so I was inquiring which pairing.

Going back to my question, is he a top pairing shutdown guy?

I've just check his time on ice: he is 6th on the Oilers with the worst plus/minus with Oilers, he looks like bottom pairing to me.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
WatchaMaCarcass

Quote:
Calm down body, I was asking a question. I don't watch Edmonton so I was inquiring which pairing.

I've just check his time on ice: he is 6th on the Oilers with the worst plus/minus with Oilers, he looks like bottom pairing to me.
You're right, I believe granny may be thinking of Jeff Petry and not Corey Potter.

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:36 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
10 games. He played 10 games last season and was .500 in those games. You honestly think that other teams are going to look at that body of work, ignore his other performances, and go on that? Bishop isn't even a top goaltender in the AHL.

26 year old back up goaltenders who have no track record of success aren't worth a lot. A 2nd or 3rd round pick is probably all he's worth. Anything more is going to have strings attached in the shape of a big contract someone wants to dump or a player with little value where the team wants to rid the organization of a contract.
To be honest, I was pretty surprised when Armstrong was able to get a 2nd round pick for Bishop at the trade deadline last year.

He was mostly looked at as a bridge to Jake Allen in the Blues organization. It was good asset management to move him for a pick last year. Halak and Elliott are both under contract for this year and next, and Allen will get the bulk of the starts in Peoria.

I can understand not wanting to part with him for less than they paid, but going .500 on a playoff team since them hasn't done anything to raise his value.

Quote:
I thought Petry was Smid's regular ES partner. Behindthenet.ca has Smid and Petry as each other's most common linemate last season. LINK And the season before that, Petry played mostly with Smid in his 35 games that year. LINK And whenever I watch the Oilers, I see Petry and Smid paired together. Are you sure your not confusing Petry and Potter? Or did the Oilers change up their pairing this season?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysweet View Post
Why would the Hawks even entertain a trade for Bishop right now? They are 4-0 and have been playing lights out.
Emery is bad, Goaltending isn't really good and we have seen what Crawford did last year in the POs. No wonder Hawks fans worry about this

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:27 PM
kohlmanator

Quote:
Now that peaks Murray's interest.

I believe he drafted Smid and tried acquiring him during Heatley's **** fest.

Smid is a pending UFA and Bishop's a pending RFA. What would be needed? Would the price be cheaper if it were around the deadline and Edm knew Smid would be walking at seasons end?

kohlmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlmanator View Post

Smid is a pending UFA and Bishop's a pending RFA. What would be needed? Would the price be cheaper if it were around the deadline and Edm knew Smid would be walking at seasons end?
This has been discussed a few times. Oilers plan on resigning Smid so they would want a whole lot more than Bishop.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Best goaltender in the AHL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldege_...Memorial_Award

Whoops.

.500 is quite the accomplishment. What were Bernier's stats and record? That is your comparable on the market and talk there has been disappointing as well.

Yeah maybe he was wrong, however

.930svp in 41 AHL games is nothing to sneeze at along with .928 svp in 13 games this season.

Came in for Ottawa last season when the pressure was on and Anderson injured and he played well enough to keep Ottawa in the playoffs.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Fourier

Quote:

In no way is Potter a top pairing guy in Edmonton. Potter is a career minor leaguer who actually played very well for about 20 games last year.

Smid's partner is Petry. He is not available for Bishop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlmanator View Post

Afer the big 5, Smid is probably considered to be as much a part of the Oilers core as anyone. He loves the city. I doubt there is any way he walks.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 908
Smid is the only defenceman Murray likely has any interest in. Pretty fair deal 1 for 1.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:

That has to be one of the stupid comments in this thread.

From Wikipedia: Bishop was the American Hockey League's top goaltender with a 24-14-0 record, a 2.26 goals against average, a 0.928 save percentage, and a league-leading six shutouts through 38 games.

He has posted really good numbers with Binghampton the last 2 years, saved our season last year when Anderson was hurt, and the only reason he hasn't played much is because of the lock jam in St. Louis and now Ottawa.

I don't know how many Binghampton or Ottawa games you've watched (probably not a lot), but Bishop is a very good goalie with amazing size. Instead of checking stats, maybe watch a game or two.

EpicNeilTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:02 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Would anyone interested in Bishop also be interested in Da Costa

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
DousedInOil

Edmonton would probably move Whitney for Bishop. No chance we move Smid though.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Smid isn't going anywhere. Especially not for a backup goalie.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Egg on your face.

Hes a bottom pairing guy in Edmonton...6th in ice time as pointed out already.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Smid is the only defenceman Murray likely has any interest in. Pretty fair deal 1 for 1.
Edmonton's #1Dman for OTT's backup goalie sounds very fair if you are Senator fan
For Oilers not so much..

Bishop would be good but only if the cost is a bottom pairing Dman plus a tier 2 prospect or a pick..

Potter or Peckham + a prospect like Plante or Martindale (67s connection)

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:59 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
How about something like Bishop + Da Costa (maybe another plus, like a pick, based on how teams feel about the deal) for Klesla on the Coyotes?

Coyotes are pretty deep and have some young guys on the blueline pushing their way forward (Rundblad, Stone, soon to be Gormley + Murphy + Goncharov, etc.). Guys like Rundblad and Stone could get more ice, as well as Schlemko. Coyotes add a C prospect to bolster that area, as they are maybe not exactly "loaded" in that position prospect-wise, and a good back up. Not that LaBarbera is bad per say, but if you guys play Bishop in your solid defensive system, his numbers may bloat up. Not saying that Coyotes are a trap team or anything! I just think it should be noted how substantially better goalies numbers are when playing there.

There is a reason for that, team defense, coaching, etc. They play responsible hockey. Coyotes could then either hold on to him as a reliable guy to look to when Smith is tired/ hurt, or could trade him in a year or so to a team looking for a back up/ part time starter, much like Ottawa did last season, and get a healthy return due to his improved stats.

They give up a reliable vet in Klesla, though. I don't know how attached to him 'Yotes fans are, so you guys will have to tell me if I'm way off. He would obviously be missed if injuries were to occur.

Meanwhile, Ottawa adds a reliable 2nd pair type guy to fill in for Cowen's absence for the rest of the season. As the vets (Phillips, Gonchar) get older and retire, Klesla provides the experience and some leadership to their back end in the coming years.

Maybe Sens and 'Yotes fans can fill me in on their pairs? Might give me a better idea of how it would look.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote