HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
I'm fine with the refs meeting and doing whatever they have to do, so long as in the end they get the right call. I'm all for more opportunities for refs to ensure they get things right. But to get together and discuss it and then make the wrong call when they had it right to start blows my mind.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
oilersrule14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I would disagree with that completely. By playing the puck with his hand he prevented the players from having access to it.

So here we have two people watching the same play, and coming to two different conclusions, even after looking at the rule.

Reffing is a very difficult thing to do and while I think the game overall had some suspect calls on both teams, much of what people are complaining about were legitimate penalties that teams need to adjust to.
I don't really understand the rule. The hand pass is still allowed or no? If so, what would be the factors that would differentiate a legit hand pass and preventing the other player from having access to it?

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I hate when fans throw crap on the ice. There is never an appropriate time to do that, particularly since lots of that crap ends up hitting other fans.

Though it was funny that the two times they made announcements that throwing more stuff would lead to a penalty, the crowd was so loud that the only way you had a clue what was being announced is if you expected it.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossy316 View Post
Darren Dregers twitter:

Yak's celly may have soured a few Kings, but I'm sure it's a 1-time thing fueled by a wild game. I'm a crusty traditionalist and I loved it.
I doubt it's a one time thing, but who cares?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
One of the best games I've seen.

People who weren't there probably don't understand Yakupov's celebration.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I hate when fans throw crap on the ice. There is never an appropriate time to do that, particularly since lots of that crap ends up hitting other fans.

Though it was funny that the two times they made announcements that throwing more stuff would lead to a penalty, the crowd was so loud that the only way you had a clue what was being announced is if you expected it.
Yah Sutter was whining about it in post game interview how that should have been a penalty and why wasnt it called..

O well... Like a great scholar once said .. "We win.. we win...Russia better than Kings.. see you next time"

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I doubt it's a one time thing, but who cares?
I remembered watching Fleury sliding across the ice in 91 and I remembered how much I hated Fleury for it. My hate for him lasted for his entire career. Those were some good rivalries...

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Наиль Якупов ‏@Nail10_1993
"OILERS FUNS! Ur great !!!!! Thanks for support us !!!! I enjoy when you very LOUUUUUUUUDDDD!!!!!"
Hall was getting into it as well, after Yak scored Hall was trying to tamp up the crowd on the bench. That was the loudest I've heard Rexall since '06. Hopefully this year we'll see more of that and maybe even give the boys their first taste of the playoff hockey atmosphere in Edmonton.

01-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
One of the best games I've seen.

People who weren't there probably don't understand Yakupov's celebration.
BS, it came across loud and clear even on the TV. It was an emotionally fueled game with piss poor officiating and our younger players will to win coming to the forefront.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
488fitter

First thing I did this morning was watch the highlights a million times again. Unreal game!

Hall blocking that goal with the net empty was huge. Saved the game for sure.

488fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hall was getting into it as well, after Yak scored Hall was trying to tamp up the crowd on the bench. That was the loudest I've heard Rexall since '06. Hopefully this year we'll see more of that and maybe even give the boys their first taste of the playoff hockey atmosphere in Edmonton.
I can't wait for the game on Saturday. The Battle of Alberta will hopefully mean something this year.

Seeing our 'second' line crush the Flames will be nice.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
I can't wait for the game on Saturday. The Battle of Alberta will hopefully mean something this year.

Seeing our 'second' line crush the Flames will be nice.
Hopefully we have an answer for Glencross when he starts running around against our top 6. Time to sit out Harski or Petrell and play Hordi and let him do his job.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
oilfan09

Does anyone have the replay starting from about last 2 minutes of the game all the way until the end of the game? I was at the game and didn't really get a good look at the whole play

oilfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
4 minutes for instigating! Nolan had his gloves off 5 seconds before Smid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg‎ (40.9 KB, 14 views)

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
4 minutes for instigating! Nolan had his gloves off 5 seconds before Smid.
Yep. Technically in the rule book states that a long distance traveled to engage with the intention of fighting could constitute instigation.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Last nights game was amazing, I was so tired that I didn't have time to add anything so I fell asleep before I could add anything about the last game.

I thought Dubnyk had a great game. Played great throughout and his GA can be hardly blamed on him. A clean breakaway for a player like Carter doesn't end too well for most if not all. He battled, good positioning and kept his cool. Especially with a PP filled 1st. Loved him last night.

I thought Gagner played one of his best games I've ever seen him play. Even if he didn't get a point, I couldn't care less(I know he did, but if he didn't). He was awesome. Apart from his FO's, he did everything I could've asked from a C. Kept possession when he needed to(something I've been critical of him in the past), battled hard along the boards, came back for defensive responsibility and never gave up after being stonewalled. If Gag's can play like this every night, he can be my #2 C any night.

Yakupov-Hemsky: I thought Yakupov had a hell of a game. At times he was a little out of position, but for the most part was great. Created chances and hit shot is awesome. This kid will score 30-40 goals regularly and wouldn't surprise me to see him hit 50 a few occasions. So glad he's on our team. Hemsky was good for the most, still did his 'hold on to the puck and stand still routine on the PP' and his 1 offside quota/game was filled. I dunno, Gagner-Yakupov showed more chemistry together than either of them did with Hemsky imo. Hemsky's timing and those guys' timing is off.

Hall-RNH-Eberle: These guys hauled ass and really carried most of the team in this game. Credit to the Kings because they stifled as much as anyone could hope to from these 3, but these guys were relentless. Trying to create chances, kept up their fundamentals and in RNH's cause, hauled ass to contribute on the defensive end. This is why these guys are our franchise and future. I still don't like RNH's 'fit' on this line, but without a doubt probably the biggest reason we won tonight.

MPS-Horcoff-Smyth: I thought MPS played well. Did everything pretty well except get points. It's tough, you see his potential, he could be a really effective top-6 forward due to his tools, but his offensive hockey sense is so limited unless he develops in that regard, I'm not sure his future is in the top-6 for us. Horcoff-Smyth played well on the PK, but man at ES these guys struggled. I think everyone would agree to that. These guys need to step their game up at ES to be frank. PK work is good, but as vets of the team, their fundamental work at ES needs to be better.

Harti-Belanger-Petrell: I thought this line was good at both ES and PK. Belanger is playing really well this year. Petrell's work on the PK make him a useful player going forward. Harti was Harti.

Smid-Petry: I'll start out by saying I'm fine with Smid getting called for his response on the hit. Clean hits should be allowed and not called a penalty. I'm also ok with him taking the penalty, even if it's an extra instigator for us. We've had too many years when we haven't showed enough heart or passion. Petry is simply playing outstanding hockey this season. He's playing on the top-pairing and looking the part. Made a few errors but for the most part, I thought he looked great.

Schultz-Schultz: Yeah the ES goal was on the older Schultz. Still for the most part they were ok. Justin played 26 mins, and I know alot of it was at PP, but he looked good. Kept the puck in at the blueline(god how many times would it trickle out last year), created chances and really effective. Not their best night, but good enough.

Whitney-Fristric: It's funny, start of the season we were talking about how Whitney would cover Fristric's errors, but last night the roles were considerably reversed. Whitney was one of the few players last night I was disappointed in. Yes his mobility is shot, but the amount of bad decisions he made looked bad. Its more of a continuation from last year, but man he's become a liability. Fristric on the other hand played well. Kept it simple, physical and did his job. Cleared the crease a few times. I think he'll be effective in this role for us, but I'm not sure how long he can cover for Whitney.

Apart from that, I loved what last night showed. Fight. Second(or third) time this season we've fought back. We rose up. The biggest thing that pissed me off about years past was heart. We went a goal or two down, we laid down to die. I'll tell you what, we play like we did tonight, relentless, hungry and smart, more times than not this season, there is no reason we shouldn't be in the playoffs. I still want a more physical presence in the top-6, but these guys are playing great. Coming back to take 3 points from the cup champs and the Canucks in 2/3 games to start the season is quite a feat. These teams are considerably more experienced than us, yet we fought through and came out on top. So ****ing proud. The Kids attitude is really infectious on this squad.

Also have to give props to Coach Kreuger. Continuously put trust in the kids and was rewarded. Unlike coaches in the past, did not send out the old Horcoff-Smyth combo in key situations to try not to concede, except played to win and win he did. For the most part he's done good in my books, but it's early in the season.

Great win.

01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
CrazyJoeDavola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Last nights game was amazing, I was so tired that I didn't have time to add anything so I fell asleep before I could add anything about the last game.

I thought Dubnyk had a great game. Played great throughout and his GA can be hardly blamed on him. A clean breakaway for a player like Carter doesn't end too well for most if not all. He battled, good positioning and kept his cool. Especially with a PP filled 1st. Loved him last night.

I thought Gagner played one of his best games I've ever seen him play. Even if he didn't get a point, I couldn't care less(I know he did, but if he didn't). He was awesome. Apart from his FO's, he did everything I could've asked from a C. Kept possession when he needed to(something I've been critical of him in the past), battled hard along the boards, came back for defensive responsibility and never gave up after being stonewalled. If Gag's can play like this every night, he can be my #2 C any night.
Pretty sure he scored the gwg in OT.

CrazyJoeDavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
Pretty sure he scored the gwg in OT.
Check the edit, worded it bad.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Also, I know I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked how many people are annoyed with Yak's celebration.

The kid is in his rookie season, scoring a clutch goal, who the hell wouldn't celebrate like that? The amount of 'controversy' that's arisen from that celebration is a joke. People need to stop being butt hurt over things like that.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
First thing I did this morning was watch the highlights a million times again. Unreal game!

Hall blocking that goal with the net empty was huge. Saved the game for sure.
I actually remembered thinking that.

He did actually save the game, I totally forgot after the Yakupov goal.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Yep. Technically in the rule book states that a long distance traveled to engage with the intention of fighting could constitute instigation.
You can't say he had the intention of fighting, perhaps he just went over and told him to keep his head up because he's going to get him back. All he does is chirp him and then the L.A. player starts the fight. If you're going to so liberally twist and misinterpret the rules, you could hand out a penalty every 15 seconds of hockey.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Also, I know I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked how many people are annoyed with Yak's celebration.

The kid is in his rookie season, scoring a clutch goal, who the hell wouldn't celebrate like that? The amount of 'controversy' that's arisen from that celebration is a joke. People need to stop being butt hurt over things like that.
agreed.. it was great to see such raw emotion.. i think most of the people that are annoyed.. are really just bitter

Sdeol44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

From now on, every Oiler who has a member of the other team skate towards them after the play should just drop the gloves and fight them. Instant PP because obviously the other guy was instigating.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Replay of the game is on NHL Network in an hour.

hossy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Dabomb

Heard Dan Tencer say on the radio last night that Justin Schultz was still sitting in his stall long after the game.. still laughing and couldn't believe how loud the fans were. Welcome to Oil Country Justin.. Ebs/Hall/Nuge weren't lying when they told you Rexall is crazy

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote