HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Race to the Bottom - Rebuild Thread.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
leugangen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Every year it is the same thing with the tanking. I would vastly prefer seeing some playoff action as it would be an indication that our team is actually getting better. We are the second youngest team in the league, lots of good young players who have yet to show us their full potential. I would like to see these players drive us into the playoffs and get some experience in the post season to boot!
We may be the second youngest team, but we don't really have that many young players. A lot are in their prime. Kadri, JVR, Gardiner, and Rielly are the only core players moving forward under the age of 25.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
I thought there was a draft lottery for the teams that don't make the playoffs this year. If so, there is no way to "tank" and be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

For this season (and this will be last), I would much rather get a top 5 pick vs. squeaking into the playoffs.

There looks to be some phenomenal talent in this draft class and I would love to see the Leafs take full advantage of it.
You can guarantee a top five pick by being one of the four worst teams in the league. The lottery only moves someone into the #1 slot and moves other teams down one slot if necessary.

Please not that my posting in this thread in no way indicates any willingness to cheer for my team to lose.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
You can guarantee a top five pick by being one of the four worst teams in the league. The lottery only moves someone into the #1 slot and moves other teams down one slot if necessary.

Please not that my posting in this thread in no way indicates any willingness to cheer for my team to lose.
Why is the word (guarantee) only pulled out when folks talk about "tanking"?

As a tanker, should i not ask for guarantees from those that want to push for the POs?

Say like, guarantee me we make it in and not into 9th place?

Guarantee me that a 8th place finish actually does affect the young players growth, going forward?

Well, they can't guarantee me a dang thing, guarantee is something an adult gives to an insecure child, they are to naive to understand that they don't exist.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Anth93

As long as we keep putting Kessel with Mac, Kostka on our PP and Scrivens in the net, we're well on our way to this guy...

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
I think we'll be seeing injuries shortly. That should help us in the tank.
So will other teams. The Panthers are just riddled with injuries already. Of course, we don't play them until the middle of Feb, so we likely won't be able to take advantage of it.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

my feeling is that Calgary will finally bottom out completely this year. I think they'll be the basement dweller and finish last

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Donmega

Yes but if having another losing season will kessel resign? Will we even have a chance of obtaining Perry or Getzlaf. I doubt any of them would want to play for a loser team in the long run.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
my feeling is that Calgary will finally bottom out completely this year. I think they'll be the basement dweller and finish last
Agree.

I think NYI/EDM are teams on the move. If they can get somewhat decent goaltending. ANA won't be bottom 10 either. Other than that I think its status quo. MTL/TOR/CBJ all look in regular lottery form.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I look at the coaching, if we kept Wilson this team would have tanked. Hartley, never liked him much, Columbus has an unproven coach, The Habs? Therrien don't like him either. Those are clues for a bad season.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
Yes but if having another losing season will kessel resign? Will we even have a chance of obtaining Perry or Getzlaf. I doubt any of them would want to play for a loser team in the long run.
If you're making 7.5M, I don't think they care what team they play for.

Parise was in the Cup Finals in New Jersey, he bolted to Minnesota...I doubt he thought about winning the Cup as much as 98M over 13 years.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I look at the coaching, if we kept Wilson this team would have tanked. Hartley, never liked him much, Columbus has an unproven coach, The Habs? Therrien don't like him either. Those are clues for a bad season.
Our coach is better than those guys but our goaltending isn't though, so we're likely in that list too.

Kipper, Price, are better goalies. Bob falls in the same category as Reimer/Scrivens but I'd give him the edge.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
The Beyonder

We need one of these guys very badly; MacKinnion, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, or Monahan. We need to bottom out, especially for one of Mac, Jones, or Droiun.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
Since when did winning/losing matter to PK?

He forced a bonafied cup contender to trade him because we was not getting the $ he wanted and they asked him to play a 2 way game.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think we'll know by Game 15 where this team truly stands.

When we hit game 15 many will start saying, after 25 we will know, then it becomes 30, then 35. Just like every year. As soon as a losing streak happens, people stop saying that. Funny how that works.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:38 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
This draft is deep enough that we could potentially get a top prospect and still make the playoffs.

**** tanking. I want it all.

Last edited by iPunch: 01-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.
iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
When we hit game 15 many will start saying, after 25 we will know, then it becomes 30, then 35. Just like every year. As soon as a losing streak happens, people stop saying that. Funny how that works.
AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-25-2013, 11:41 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by amckay6 View Post
why do people want to tank so bad. I just want to see playoffs already I'm done waiting.. this year I'd rather have hope right to the end rather than not caring for the final month and a half.. So ya i'd rather have 9th finish than a 15th place.
Because I want to win a cup in the next decade and the chances are much higher with Mackinnon/Jones then whomever will be picked at 14th.

Long term thinking. 9th gets us nowhere unless its a lucky franchise player pick.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
The Beyonder

With the way this team stand right now, I imagine tank nation will be happy. Don't see us winning many games with our goaltending and inconsistent effort that was rampant last year and probably will be again. We need one or maybe 2 more top prospects to go with Morgan and the young pieces that we have in the lineup.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
With the way this team stand right now, I imagine tank nation will be happy. Don't see us winning many games with our goaltending and inconsistent effort that was rampant last year and probably will be again. We need one or maybe 2 more top prospects to go with Morgan and the young pieces that we have in the lineup.
I don't think this is Tank Nation.

Nobody here wants this team to lose 3 games in. I certainly don't. I just see this team pushing for the playoffs, eventually failing and dropping to a top 10 maybe even top 5 pick.

This is Realistic Nation.

We don't have the goaltending depth and our defense can still be a bit better and our special teams need to improve.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

how many top prospects go in the 1st round?
about 5 ?
(who are they)

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
how many top prospects go in the 1st round?
about 5 ?
(who are they)
IMO, there are at least 5 impact players in this draft if not more.

Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Lindholm

Monahan.

I think Monahan is a guy that could drop a bit but I'd be very excited with any of these 6 players.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

getting another top 6 forward would be huge

JVR KADRI ---
LUPUL BOZAK KESSEL
FRATTIN GRABOVSKY KULEMIN

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
We may be the second youngest team, but we don't really have that many young players. A lot are in their prime. Kadri, JVR, Gardiner, and Rielly are the only core players moving forward under the age of 25.
We do have our future 4th line in place developing in the A and in the O, Ashton, Colborne, and Biggs.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
I thought there was a draft lottery for the teams that don't make the playoffs this year. If so, there is no way to "tank" and be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

For this season (and this will be last), I would much rather get a top 5 pick vs. squeaking into the playoffs.

There looks to be some phenomenal talent in this draft class and I would love to see the Leafs take full advantage of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Why is the word (guarantee) only pulled out when folks talk about "tanking"?

As a tanker, should i not ask for guarantees from those that want to push for the POs?

Say like, guarantee me we make it in and not into 9th place?

Guarantee me that a 8th place finish actually does affect the young players growth, going forward?

Well, they can't guarantee me a dang thing, guarantee is something an adult gives to an insecure child, they are to naive to understand that they don't exist.
All we were discussing is that finishing in the bottom means you'll get a top five pick. That's it. It appeared that the original poster was under the impression that evey non-playoff draft slot was up for grabs in the lottery and as a result, there was no way to know if you would have a top five pick until the lottery.

It would appear that you simply saw the word guarantee and used it to launch your rant.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
IMO, there are at least 5 impact players in this draft if not more.

Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Lindholm

Monahan.

I think Monahan is a guy that could drop a bit but I'd be very excited with any of these 6 players.
If what I term is natural selection occurs with the season, I am expecting a Nichushkin, Monahan, Barkov debate here in May-June. I am surmising we draft best case scenario around #4 or #5 to #9 or 10th without even trying to tank.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote