HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Looks like Lada to KHL is now imminent. Still think its goofy that they built such a small arena. In 10 years they will regret it.
not so fast my friend, they don't have the money for the KHL

Old
01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

This polish project of Gransk is interesting. I am sceptic, we will see. Btw there are news, who wants more I can give articles in slovak/polish.

Last edited by vorky: 01-25-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Faterson

Gdańsk would make sense, geographically. And the next logical step after that would be Germany. KHL expansion is like a creeping disease, lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Austrian and a Hungarian team in the KHL, either. Budapest already is in the MHL. For the lesser hockey nations (that includes Croatia and Italy), it would make sense to supply 1 team for the KHL where the country's best players might concentrate. That way, the KHL might turn into something like a season-long World Championship (or European Championship), but on a club basis.

As to Slovakia, we really need at least 2 clubs in the KHL, so I hope Košice aren't asleep and will do everything they can to join the KHL for the 2013/14 season.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:04 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Gdańsk would make sense, geographically. And the next logical step after that would be Germany. KHL expansion is like a creeping disease, lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Austrian and a Hungarian team in the KHL, either. Budapest already is in the MHL. For the lesser hockey nations (that includes Croatia and Italy), it would make sense to supply 1 team for the KHL where the country's best players might concentrate. That way, the KHL might turn into something like a season-long World Championship (or European Championship), but on a club basis.

As to Slovakia, we really need at least 2 clubs in the KHL, so I hope Košice aren't asleep and will do everything they can to join the KHL for the 2013/14 season.
this expansion to non traditional markets is crazy for me. Bold part is the same what I think about Gdansk.

Just imagine, Milano - Zagreb - Gdansk (at least two) would join KHL this summer. Who would play for them? SM-Liiga and Elitserien would lose many players

Old
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
This polish project of Gransk is interesting. I am sceptic, we will see. Btw there are news, who wants more I can give articles in slovak/polish.

acc.polish web hokej.net, mysterious club from Gdansk that applied for KHL isnt HK Gdansk, but GKS Stoczniowiec Gdańsk.

They have only youth and woman teams, according this czech article, GKS Stoczniowiecīs A-team terminated itīs activity two years ago due to financial problems.

GKS Stoczniowiec Gdańsk could play in Ergo Arena for 15000, opened in 2010

Last edited by kajoo: 01-25-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
acc.polish web hokej.net, mysterious club from Gdansk that applied for KHL isnt HK Gdansk, but GKS Stoczniowiec Gdańsk.
not and not. Read again. Btw, as you know HK Poprad aplied to KHL to play 11/12 season. Oh no, it was Lev

Quote:
They have only youth and woman teams, according this czech article, GKS Stoczniowiecīs A-team terminated itīs activity two years ago due to financial problems.
Typicall BS czech article towards Poland/Russia. I am not speaking about ordinary people, but media.
What did have HK Poprad in common with KHL team Lev Poprad? Nothing (forget arena, it is not owned by HK Poprad). Who cares that GKS had financial problems? Who cared that HK Poprad had financial problems at the same time when Lev Poprad applying to KHL? Two separate entities, all story.

Thats how I see Gdansk.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:03 AM
kajoo

nah, czech article only tried to make a meal of this polish article

There really was initial confusemement about which polish team should join, Medvedev said only "team from Gdansk" for allsportinfo.ru, while not specifying which team exactly.

Quote:
Команда из польского Гданьска подала заявку на вступление в КХЛ. У них и главный тренер есть, если вы понимаете, о ком я. Думаю, правда, что это не вопрос следующего сезона, но будущего.

And because the only active senior hockey team in KH Gdanks, everyone (even hf board members) wrongly suggested itīs KH.

No drama this time, just the information provided KHLīs president wasnt specific which gave a room for speculations.

Last edited by kajoo: 01-25-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
nah, czech article only tried to make a meal of this polish article

There really was initial confusemement about which polish team should join, Medvedev said only "team from Gdansk" for allsportinfo.ru, while not specifying which team exactly. And because the only active senior hockey team in KH Gdanks, everyone wrongly suggested itīs KH.
yes and ask yourself why "everyone wrongly suggested itīs KH"? The same mistake was made by slovak and czech media as we know. Why? No info? No idea how KHL works? Just try to think about it, you wil get answer.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
kajoo

Quote:
yes and ask yourself why "everyone wrongly suggested itīs KH"? The same mistake was made by slovak and czech media as we know. Why? No info? No idea how KHL works? Just try to think about it, you wil get answer.
because Medvedev wasn specific and said "Team from Gdansk" instead of GKS Stoczniowiec Gdańsk ?

Cant even blame him, this teamīs name is truly a jaw-breaker

Old
01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
because Medvedev wasn specific and said "Team from Gdansk" instead of GKS Stoczniowiec Gdańsk ?

Cant even blame him, this teamīs name is truly a jaw-breaker
your idea, I dont agree.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:08 AM
kajoo

found in another polish article that 100% shareholder of KH Gdansk is GKS Stoczniowiec Gdańsk. KH emerged in 2012 after GKS Stoczniowiec went bankrupcy.

New KHL team should be named Oliva Gdansk, if I understand well.

Last edited by kajoo: 01-25-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Just imagine, Milano - Zagreb - Gdansk (at least two) would join KHL this summer. Who would play for them? SM-Liiga and Elitserien would lose many players
And Russia would pay for their salaries.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
And Russia would pay for their salaries.
Mariusz Czerkawski speculates with enthusiasm in this article that new teamīs budget must be carried on by some russian oligarch trying to get on polish market with his products, or some polish co. launching giant promotion.

He believes that having polish hockey club in KHL is like having football team in Premier League. He also said in above article that he believes that Ergo Arena will be bursting at seams and games would be viewed by whole hockey Poland and by piece of Europe.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Discovering of America. Bravo!

Old
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Oh. Great info, that Kajoo has explained many main questions.

Oliva Gdaňsk, does it mean the same in Polish (oliva) ? Will be KHL teams stoning Olives in Gdaňsk ?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:46 AM
legionista

Being Polish, and following Polish hockey pretty closely I can say this ambitious project of a KHL team from Gdansk is still in it's infancy.

First off, as mentioned before the Gdansk team would not be Stocznowiec or even KH Gdansk, it would be a newly created team called Oliva Gdansk (possibly in reference to the rink where Stocznowiec played before folding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hala_Olivia) however it has been hinted the new team would play in Ergo Arena, so that's a bit odd a team named after an arena would play in a separate modern one.

The current hockey club in Gdansk (KH Gdansk) plays in the 1 liga (Polish 2nd tier), and has many financial issues with sponsors, even with equipping its players, it's a very bleak situation.

For this to work, there has to be a serious sponsor to finance this operation. Rumors around Gdansk are that it is some Russian millionaire possibly from Kaliningrad who wants to heavily invest in Gdansk and Poland overall importing and distributing certain products as well.

http://www.slask.sport.pl/sport-slas...hokejowej.html
This article is also reporting of a team from Slask (Silesia) also would like to join the KHL as part of it's expansion. The Silesia hockey minister mentioned in this article he realizes this is a very ambitious project, but also noted no one thought Wojtek Wolski would come play in Poland during the lockout while having an option to play in much stronger leagues. This Silesia team would consist of players from various teams currently playing in multiple cities in the region. He also notes the option of the creation of a Central European Hockey League which would include team from Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Rep., and Austria.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

legionista : How is Ergo arena used right now, only hockey ?

Anyway, I like the idea Silesian KHL team. Not so sure about Silesian league...

Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

legionista
When was project of Olivia Gdansk birth? Was there any info in polish media before Medvedevīs statement this week?

Jeez
IMO Ergo Arena is now used for other sports, mainly basketball. But I dont follow it closely...

Old
01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
legionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
legionista : How is Ergo arena used right now, only hockey ?

Anyway, I like the idea Silesian KHL team. Not so sure about Silesian league...
Right now Ergo Arena is primarily used for basketball, volleyball, indoor track & field meets, and also concerts, shows. I'm not even sure if hockey has been played there yet.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Discovering of America. Bravo!
I actually did small internet research and spent my time trying to find out more, why you were only dicking and ironising here. You can take your bravo and stick it up mate.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:25 AM
legionista

Quote:
legionista
When was project of Olivia Gdansk birth? Was there any info in polish media before Medvedevīs statement this week?

Jeez
IMO Ergo Arena is now used for other sports, mainly basketball. But I dont follow it closely...
Wednesday was the first time anyone really heard about this. Supposedly negotiations between the local hockey authorities in Gdansk, along with the mayor and Medvedev have been ongoing for a little while before the story came out. To be honest, as I have learned from history, this initiative has to have involvement from many parties both domestic and foreign to work, everyone has to be on the same page, however I fear financial reasons will get in the way of negotiations and not much will come of this. I hope I'm wrong though.

Old
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Mariusz Czerkawski speculates with enthusiasm in this article that new teamīs budget must be carried on by some russian oligarch trying to get on polish market with his products, or some polish co. launching giant promotion.

He believes that having polish hockey club in KHL is like having football team in Premier League. He also said in above article that he believes that Ergo Arena will be bursting at seams and games would be viewed by whole hockey Poland and by piece of Europe.
Something similiar will be with Medvescak if joins to KHL. Week ago Medvedev was in Zagreb to meet with people from Croatian govrement about building a gas route through Croatia.

Old
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionista View Post
Right now Ergo Arena is primarily used for basketball, volleyball, indoor track & field meets, and also concerts, shows. I'm not even sure if hockey has been played there yet.
hockey was played there, but no idea when and what teams. Found these pics on www when googling Ergo Arena

Old
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
Oh. Great info, that Kajoo has explained many main questions.

Oliva Gdaňsk, does it mean the same in Polish (oliva) ? Will be KHL teams stoning Olives in Gdaňsk ?
Thanks jeez.

wild guess: Oliva Gdansk can be derived from their old hockey arenaīs name, Olivia Gdansk. But dont quote me on this.

Edit: Oliwa (Olive) is part of Gdansk http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliwa_%28Gda%C5%84sk%29

Old
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
legionista

Quote:
hockey was played there, but no idea when and what teams. Found these pics on www when googling Ergo Arena

I believe this was an exhibition/charity game with participants from the Police and Fire Department, more pics. and info can be found here.

http://gdansk.naszemiasto.pl/artykul...d.html#galeria

Closed Thread