HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
The upside is still there, though. When healthy, he is probably our 2nd best defensive prospect. Possibly 3rd, depending on how good Pokka is(haven't seen much, but from what I have seen he looks great).

When/if healthy, he could turn into a top-pairing guy. I don't doubt that for one second. While McDonagh might be a bit of a stretch, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into that type of player. Or as I said before, a PMD-version of Andrew MacDonald.

Considering this organization is waiting on a handful of prospects to develop before they start their climb in the standings, I would guess deHaan still has plenty of time to get and stay healthy.
The last time De haan was completely healthy, was the 2008-09 season. Season ending shoulder injuries in 2009-10, 2011-12 & 2012-13. I can't see this guy ever being a useful defenseman for the Isles, may get some call ups from now and then, but he can't stay healthy, ever. Maybe it's his size or frame. I hated the pick then, but now I'm indifferent, because we've drafted a bunch of good d-men prospects before (Hamonic and Donovan) and after drafting Calvin De haan. I expect De haan to get hurt every season, so I can't see him being counted upon.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The last time De haan was completely healthy, was the 2008-09 season. Season ending shoulder injuries in 2009-10, 2011-12 & 2012-13. I can't see this guy ever being a useful defenseman for the Isles, may get some call ups from now and then, but he can't stay healthy, ever. Maybe it's his size or frame. I hated the pick then, but now I'm indifferent, because we've drafted a bunch of good d-men prospects before (Hamonic and Donovan) and after drafting Calvin De haan. I expect De haan to get hurt every season, so I can't see him being counted upon.
The point is he's 21 years old. With big upside. On a team that's currently a bottom feeder. That's waiting for several other prospects to develop. What would be the point of cutting ties at this point or selling low on him, even if you doubt he'll ever be healthy?

Wouldn't the potential of him staying healthy be worth more than a 3rd rounder(which is probably all we'd get for him at this point, or just another oft-injured prospect)? We have plenty of 3rd rounder-type prospects in our system already. We don't have many prospects with deHaan's ability/upside. There is no downside to keeping him around for another year or two. None at all.

IMO, here are the two different possible scenarios regarding deHaan:

1) We keep him around. Best case is he stays healthy and turns into a key player for us; worst case is he never gets healthy and he loses all trade-value.

2) We trade him. Best case is we get a 3rd rounder for him and he never stays healthy; worst case is we get a 3rd rounder for him and he reaches his potential elsewhere.

I guess it comes down to this: is a 3rd rounder(which might be generous at this point) enough value for you to risk giving up on a kid too soon? IMO, it's not even close.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:38 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
The point is he's 21 years old. With big upside. On a team that's currently a bottom feeder. That's waiting for several other prospects to develop. What would be the point of cutting ties at this point or selling low on him, even if you doubt he'll ever be healthy?

Wouldn't the potential of him staying healthy be worth more than a 3rd rounder(which is probably all we'd get for him at this point, or just another oft-injured prospect)? We have plenty of 3rd rounder-type prospects in our system already. We don't have many prospects with deHaan's ability/upside. There is no downside to keeping him around for another year or two. None at all.

IMO, here are the two different possible scenarios regarding deHaan:

1) We keep him around. Best case is he stays healthy and turns into a key player for us; worst case is he never gets healthy and he loses all trade-value.

2) We trade him. Best case is we get a 3rd rounder for him and he never stays healthy; worst case is we get a 3rd rounder for him and he reaches his potential elsewhere.

I guess it comes down to this: is a 3rd rounder(which might be generous at this point) enough value for you to risk giving up on a kid too soon? IMO, it's not even close.
Logical to keep him as I seriously doubt that anyone would give us a 3rd for him. Realistically Hickey went on waivers and there apparently there were no offers for him.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Logical to keep him as I seriously doubt that anyone would give us a 3rd for him. Realistically Hickey went on waivers and there apparently there were no offers for him.
Exactly. A 3rd is honestly a best case scenario at this point. Which means it makes even less sense to trade him. Especially when it's not a pressing matter at all. He's not costing us anything and isn't blocking anyone from getting AHL minutes. No point not to hold onto him.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:43 PM
InformTheMasses

Kirill Petrov had 2 assists today in the KHL. The second assist was about 5 seconds into a Powerplay that he drew a penalty on with strong play in the slot.

Clips Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6eN-ZU6Db0

and Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bnozxETH0

Old
01-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Degeneration Rex

Thursday

Owen Sound 3, Barrie 0-Theoret, -1.
Saginaw 4, Erie 3 (SO)-Pelech, even.
Edmonton 4, Saskatoon 2-Reinhart, 2 goals, (5,6,) + 2.
Spokane 5, Portland 4 (SO)-Kichton, 1 goal (16), + 1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Jester, how many more season enders would it take for you to close the book on him being a reliable top 4 defenseman?
Simply put, It would take an injury bad enough that it turns him into a bad defenseman.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Thursday

Nice to see Big Griff picking up the offense. Hopefully he's getting more PP time so he can unleash his powerful slapper.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Thursday

Pelech got a 5 min major for kneeing, and a game misconduct late in the second period.
Clip here, followed immediately by a decent fight between Hodgson and Sadowy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3vLmMLl7FQ

I can only post the first goal for Reinhart. The camerawork on the second goal was so bad, it's not even worth posting. Reinhart was an absolute BEAST tonight, dominated every time he was out there. Perfect game tonight. Here's goal #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXa8_mmbTaU

Brenden Kichton just scored a beauty in the first to give Spokane a 2-1 lead over Portland in the first Period in a pretty big game. Clip Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4mthqxui4

Last edited by InformTheMasses: 01-23-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Jester9881

Were both Griffs goals on the PP?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Second goal was not on a PP. Off a face-off, shot from the point. Unfortunately cant tell if it's a slapper or a wrister, because the cameraman was shaking uncontrollably, and Reinhart wasn't really visible from any angle.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Second goal was not on a PP. Off a face-off, shot from the point. Unfortunately cant tell if it's a slapper or a wrister, because the cameraman was shaking uncontrollably, and Reinhart wasn't really visible from any angle.
Clearly the cameraman was nervous when he realized Bigg Griff had the puck on his stick.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:51 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I agree with you. I definitely had him pegged as the guy who sticks coming out of camp (had there been no lockout). You see what he can do by watching him play and first then does one come to realize how well-rounded his game is.

What we now have to ready ourselves for is that the shoulder problems are going to cut his career short or, in other words, be the difference between him just being a minor-leaguer or NHLer.

Hard to say if these things won't become persistent or chronic. They've definitely played FAR too great a role in his short career to date, thus giving reason to believe they may ultimately be here to stay - and a bump in the road that may not be overcome.
Yeah, we'll see what happens. Hopefully he can pull a Scott Lachance and not miss seasons because of the injuries, just shifts

Too bad Garth didnt' check with Ol Time Hockey he stated in a previous post that he watched video of DeHaan's Apgar test when he was an infant and could tell that DeHaan has weak shoulders.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:18 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Pelech got a 5 min major for kneeing, and a game misconduct late in the second period.

I can only post the first goal for Reinhart. The camerawork on the second goal was so bad, it's not even worth posting. Reinhart was an absolute BEAST tonight, dominated every time he was out there. Perfect game tonight. Here's goal #1

Brenden Kichton just scored a beauty in the first to give Spokane a 2-1 lead over Portland in the first Period in a pretty big game. Clip Here:
Brenden Kichton Scored the Game winning goal in a shootout last night against Portland. Clip Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKwff...ature=youtu.be

Kichton also made a game saving play on Seth Jones with less than a minute left in OT.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Brenden Kichton Scored the Game winning goal in a shootout last night against Portland. Clip Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKwff...ature=youtu.be

Kichton also made a game saving play on Seth Jones with less than a minute left in OT.
Thanks again for the highlights. I was listening to the game but fell asleep with the score 4-2 Spokane.
Two game sweep of a home and home by Spokane.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Once again IFM, your video work and coverage is AWESOME!

That said, I can't stand the type of blatant knee-on-knee hit Pelech made on the Saginaw player. Sticking out body parts like that rarely ends up in anything but injury and always smacks of being the intentional attempt to do so.

It's just plain stupid too, because you can injure yourself just as much or more doing stuff like that...

Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Once again IFM, your video work and coverage is AWESOME!

That said, I can't stand the type of blatant knee-on-knee hit Pelech made on the Saginaw player. Sticking out body parts like that rarely ends up in anything but injury and always smacks of being the intentional attempt to do so.

It's just plain stupid too, because you can injure yourself just as much or more doing stuff like that...
No Problem, I'll keep doing it for as long as I can. It's fun.

As for the Pelech knee-on-knee. I watched it a bunch of times before I posted it on youtube to try and find proof of intent. I really couldn't find it. To me it looked like it was reactionary. Looked like he was getting ready to plaster Britina to the wall, and then at the last second Britina tried to go around and was dragging his leg behind. Pelech tried squaring him up with his shoulder (Which Britina avoided) but by him dragging his leg behind, caused his knee to take the full impact.

I Put part of your comment in bold above, because I agree 100% and I think that's part of the reason why so many times when I watch Knee-on-knee collisions that I feel like it wasn't intentional. Not only is it dangerous to ones own career, it's extremely painful. If your trying to do something dirty, you probably aren't going to risk our own knee and career to do it.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:17 PM
KrisBeKreame

To me it doesnt look like Pelechs knee hit the other players knee. To me it looks like the inner thigh. It does look like he tried to get a piece of him but I have trouble seeing the intent of a knee on knee. However look for a suspension from the league to set an example.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Degeneration Rex

Thursday

Barrie 2, Niagara 1 (OT)-Theoret, even, Strome, 1 assist, + 1. Graham, -1.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Thursday

Barrie 2, Niagara 1 (OT)-Theoret, even, Strome, 1 assist, + 1. Graham, -1.
Strome and Theoret got coincidental slashing penalties at 18:50 of the third period. Best buds getting reacquainted?

Old
01-25-2013, 05:15 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Strome and Theoret got coincidental slashing penalties at 18:50 of the third period. Best buds getting reacquainted?
It was funny. Crazy game. Was scoreless all night until Niagra scored with 2:10 to go in the game (Off a rebound from a Strome Shot). 1 Minute late Barrie ties it up with about 70 seconds to go. The next draw, ref doesn't even get to drop the puck and Strome and Theoret are in a sword fight. Not only were these two former teammates (and Future?) but they were on the same line and BEST Friends for long time. At the end it looked like Theoret was going to go after him. Funny stuff

The late Goal (Strome Assist): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnghdGli5oc

The Theoret/Strome Sword fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZsKQO6ZbgY

Both were in the Penalty Box when Barrie scored an OT Goal. Maybe Theoret is a genius?

Old
01-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
As for the Pelech knee-on-knee. I watched it a bunch of times before I posted it on youtube to try and find proof of intent. I really couldn't find it. To me it looked like it was reactionary. Looked like he was getting ready to plaster Britina to the wall, and then at the last second Britina tried to go around and was dragging his leg behind. Pelech tried squaring him up with his shoulder (Which Britina avoided) but by him dragging his leg behind, caused his knee to take the full impact.
On second look, I'm coming to the same conclusion.

Wonder if the league will do or say anything about the play?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Degeneration Rex

Tonight, CBS Sports College Hockey, 7:30PM

Ferris State vs Notre Dame (Lee, Russo).

Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

What are the odds the Griff makes the Isles next season?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
It was funny. Crazy game. Was scoreless all night until Niagra scored with 2:10 to go in the game (Off a rebound from a Strome Shot). 1 Minute late Barrie ties it up with about 70 seconds to go. The next draw, ref doesn't even get to drop the puck and Strome and Theoret are in a sword fight. Not only were these two former teammates (and Future?) but they were on the same line and BEST Friends for long time. At the end it looked like Theoret was going to go after him. Funny stuff

The late Goal (Strome Assist): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnghdGli5oc

The Theoret/Strome Sword fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZsKQO6ZbgY

Both were in the Penalty Box when Barrie scored an OT Goal. Maybe Theoret is a genius?

Me likes Theo....

Closed Thread