HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Being Married to Tyler Myers

Old
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
sabresfan129103

vCash: 500
I was really hoping he would develop a physical game and that just hasn't happened. It's disappointing.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I'm pretty sure they had decided he already was a franchise defenseman when they gave home the contract. I don't believe that this was a case of wanting to let him grow into the contract, like they did with Derek Roy. They could have given him a bridge contract, like they did with Ennis, but they threw the moon at him because they believe(d?) he was already there.
So, you don't think it's the same as something they demonstrated doing before...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Yes, reactionary members of the fanbase are going to pile on the hate early.

I would hope that a larger sample size will be the basis for a more refined judgement.
How about the 10-11,11-12 and now the first 3 games of 12-13 sound as a sample size?Myers is vastly overpaid.He hasn't been a top pairing d-man since his rookie season.And every season it's just excuses from the fanbase on why he sucks so bad.The guy is turning 23 in a week and this is his 4th season.He isn't a kid anymore, he is a grown man and his play has regressed every single season.Time to come to grips that he just may not be the franchise d-man we thought he would be

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Across the league, up and down lineups, stars and grinders, almost every player has had some rust and played poorly. Even players who played overseas.

I'd personally give any player about 6-7 games to get it together before I started ripping their game. But, I clearly have more tolerance than many around here.
Take that tolerance somewhere else bub like a hippie convention! We only do pitchforks here!

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Hasek

6-7 games. How about 6 to 7 years. The guy is still a puppy. Patience is a virtue and I hope the Sabres stay patient with him because in 5 years he will be a Norris winner.

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

it's important to clarify...

Yes, I think this organization has stunted Myers development through poor decision making organizationally (Tallinder), and dumb ass coaching (partner carousel).

But I still believe Myers will develop into our franchise defensemen (he's not right now), it's just our staff has made it a longer development curve than if they had managed things better.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
So, you don't think it's the same as something they demonstrated doing before...
It is clear they set up this defense with Myers in mind as the no. 1 and everyone else is supposed to slot in behind. He is an ice time leader and they chose to give him the biggest contract of anyone in his position. The circumstances were different with Roy, as he had only played a third line role up to that point in his career, and they also tried to sign Drury to the big no. 1 center contract. If it were up to them, Roy would have slotted in behind him. And thanks for the dunce hat, I see you can't help but be obnoxious.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
It is clear they set up this defense with Myers in mind as the no. 1 and everyone else is supposed to slot in behind. He is an ice time leader and they chose to give him the biggest contract of anyone in his position. The circumstances were different with Roy, as he had only played a third line role up to that point in his career, and they also tried to sign Drury to the big no. 1 center contract. If it were up to them, Roy would have slotted in behind him. And thanks for the dunce hat, I see you can't help but be obnoxious.
Really? Because last year, they used him in a 2nd pairing/offensive only role.... while giving the heavy lifting to Sekera defensively.

He was 3rd in ES ice time

He was 5th in Quality of Competition

Call me crazy... but giving a 21 yr old, a loaded long term contract is clearly a contract the player is meant to grow into...

Old
01-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
How about the 10-11,11-12 and now the first 3 games of 12-13 sound as a sample size?Myers is vastly overpaid.He hasn't been a top pairing d-man since his rookie season.And every season it's just excuses from the fanbase on why he sucks so bad.The guy is turning 23 in a week and this is his 4th season.He isn't a kid anymore, he is a grown man and his play has regressed every single season.Time to come to grips that he just may not be the franchise d-man we thought he would be
How is he vastly overpaid when a 5.5mil cap hit for a 22+ all situations defenseman isn't out of the ordinary. Its not like he got a Shea Weber contract extension.

I think you all need to step back from the ledge; yes he isn't a Norris caliber defenseman and may never become one, but there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't gladly acquire him. Hell I think he's going to be the new Bouwmeester, where he teases you with his potential and shows flashes of how great he could be, but never quite puts it all together. He'll still be a damn valuable 1st pairing defenseman but not the horse you hitch your cart to in order to reach the promise land.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Sekera?
I don't qualify Sekera as a stay at home defenseman. Too puck rush-y for my tastes, but the brief time they've been together this season I've thought they looked good.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
How is he vastly overpaid when a 5.5mil cap hit for a 22+ all situations defenseman isn't out of the ordinary. Its not like he got a Shea Weber contract extension.

I think you all need to step back from the ledge; yes he isn't a Norris caliber defenseman and may never become one, but there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't gladly acquire him. Hell I think he's going to be the new Bouwmeester, where he teases you with his potential and shows flashes of how great he could be, but never quite puts it all together. He'll still be a damn valuable 1st pairing defenseman but not the horse you hitch your cart to in order to reach the promise land.
Myers is tied for 17th in cap hits for defense men.He is being paid as a true #1.A true #1 should be scoring 40+ points minimum while leading the team in ToI easily.Myers hasn't scored 40+ points since his rookie year.His ice time has actually decreased from his rookie year,it stayed the same for 10-11 and 11-12 and now this year he is under 22 minutes.It just doesn't make sense that his best year offensively and defensively comes at 19 years of age and the past few years have done nothing to improve him as a player.I think he can be a top pairing d-man, but I see him more as a #2 then a true #1.Only problem is that he is being paid as a top end #1.

I honestly would dangle him as a centerpiece in a trade for a true legit #1 franchise center.I would gladly trade Myers+Armia++ for John Tavares.Or what about Myers for Niklas Backstrom?(Caps probably say no)

Old
01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Really? Because last year, they used him in a 2nd pairing/offensive only role.... while giving the heavy lifting to Sekera defensively.

He was 3rd in ES ice time

He was 5th in Quality of Competition

Call me crazy... but giving a 21 yr old, a loaded long term contract is clearly a contract the player is meant to grow into...
1st in ATOI his rookie year, 2nd in ATOI his 2nd year, and 2nd in ATOI last year. The last two years he was barely behind the leaders, Leopold and Ehrhoff respectively, and the reason for that was some of his inconsistencies. They absolutely want him to be their all situations guy. Of course they expect growth, but I also think that they think of him as their no. 1, and they did when they gave him the contract. This wasn't "give him this contract and hope he becomes a no. 1". It was "we know he's a no. 1 already, and hopefully he can become Norris worthy down the road."

Old
01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I was really hoping he would develop a physical game and that just hasn't happened. It's disappointing.
I think that hope is based upon his size.

I think the reality is that he may never get a true nasty streak. We have to hope that he is best served by positionally sound play, taking up lots of space and confidently carrying and moving the puck as his strong suits. When he gallops with the puck, he is at his best. He is streaky and has some really bad stretches and some really good stretches. Consistency is his biggest challenge and he is far from alone in that category.

Every once in a while he can be nasty and throw people around and he seemed to wratchet that up in the playoffs. It should not be expected regularly.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post

ahhh god.... have you seen Boumeester these days. He's wretched.

If Boumeester is what Myers is going to become, god help us.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Myers is tied for 17th in cap hits for defense men.He is being paid as a true #1.A true #1 should be scoring 40+ points minimum while leading the team in ToI easily.Myers hasn't scored 40+ points since his rookie year.His ice time has actually decreased from his rookie year,it stayed the same for 10-11 and 11-12 and now this year he is under 22 minutes.It just doesn't make sense that his best year offensively and defensively comes at 19 years of age and the past few years have done nothing to improve him as a player.I think he can be a top pairing d-man, but I see him more as a #2 then a true #1.Only problem is that he is being paid as a top end #1.

I honestly would dangle him as a centerpiece in a trade for a true legit #1 franchise center.I would gladly trade Myers+Armia++ for John Tavares.Or what about Myers for Niklas Backstrom?(Caps probably say no)
That's a dumb definition

Old
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:

His second year was a slight degradation in points however he performed much better defensively and then stepped his game up even more in the playoffs. Last year was derailed by injuries.

I don't get the minutes argument as Lindy pretty much rolls his defensive pairings so none of them play substantially more than another unless he has a rookie back there, that he's trying to shelter.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
1st in ATOI his rookie year, 2nd in ATOI his 2nd year, and 2nd in ATOI last year. The last two years he was barely behind the leaders, Leopold and Ehrhoff respectively, and the reason for that was some of his inconsistencies. They absolutely want him to be their all situations guy. Of course they expect growth, but I also think that they think of him as their no. 1, and they did when they gave him the contract. This wasn't "give him this contract and hope he becomes a no. 1". It was "we know he's a no. 1 already, and hopefully he can become Norris worthy down the road."
"We know he's shown the capability to play #1 role, AND WE HOPE he can return to that role... at worst, he's still an offensive top 4 defensemen who can skate as good as anyone and is 7 feet tall"

Old
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
stokes84

Quote:
"We know he's shown the capability to play #1 role, AND WE HOPE he can return to that role... at worst, he's still an offensive top 4 defensemen who can skate as good as anyone and is 7 feet tall"
Perhaps. I bet if we could look at their depth chart, Myers has been listed as no.1 since his second year, and he was when they gave him the contract. Speculation, of course, but I believe this is how they view him.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Anyone ever wonder if, psychologically, bringing in Myers idol to be his defensive partner... was maybe not the best idea?

Just throwing it out there...

Old
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Anyone ever wonder if, psychologically, bringing in Myers idol to be his defensive partner... was maybe not the best idea?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

Never wondered that. I think the kid just struggles with consistency. he is young and had quick success. Our fanbase desire to make him Chara/Pronger is our fault.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Old Navy Goat

I don't think its consistency so much as the fanbase nitpicks every thing he does. His excellent stick work last night is overshadowed by the smallest miscue. It seems that we suffer from Leaf syndrome where none of the players are any good but the prospects are the second coming of Howe and Gretzky

Old
01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Royisgone

Myers looks uncomfortable in his own body still.

He is a super tall, lanky kid and he actually grew an inch or 2 a few years ago, didn't he?

He looks like he has not caught up to his body yet.

I grew like 8" in a single year from age 13 to 14, and then stopped growing entirely.

For a couple years, I went from being an OK athlete to literally not being able to throw a baseball in a straight line to a given target. I lost all coordination and it took a while to sort of feel comfortable in my own body again.

I think there is some of that going on with Myers. He is young still. He needs more time.

Regarding his mean streak: he doesn't have one, that can't be taught, and he will never have one. Get used to that.

Doesn't mean he can't turn into a very effective D man in this league.

Ehrhoff is as soft as they come--but he's still the best D Man on this team, by a wide margin.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
That's a dumb definition
I don't agree at all with your view of what constitutes a #1 defenseman.A #1 defense man is one that plays in ALL situations.PP,PK and ES.If he is playing on the PP and receiving many minutes then 40 points shouldn't be that difficult and actually should be expected.If your only good defensively and can't put up points then your not a #1 defenseman. If you can put up 40+ points but you can't play defense at all then your not a #1 defenseman.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I don't agree at all with your view of what constitutes a #1 defenseman.A #1 defense man is one that plays in ALL situations.PP,PK and ES.If he is playing on the PP and receiving many minutes then 40 points shouldn't be that difficult and actually should be expected.If your only good defensively and can't put up points then your not a #1 defenseman. If you can put up 40+ points but you can't play defense at all then your not a #1 defenseman.
I guess Scott Stevens wasn't ever a number 1 defenseman as he didn't come close to putting up 40pts in over 1/2 the seasons he played. Hell, Brent Seabrook would be a number 1 defenseman on most teams in the league but he's not putting up 40 points a season.