HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
They do it at all the sporting events now. They don't want people throwing caps onto the ice.
Throwing caps? No, they don't want you throwing full bottles at the ice (or other fans).

Old
01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Throwing caps? No, they don't want you throwing full bottles at the ice (or other fans).
Pretty sure it's the caps they are worried about. While most people wouldn't consider throwing either, caps are a lot more likely to be thrown because it's a) less likely to hurt someone, and b) harder to get caught doing so.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:38 PM
ltrangerfan

Ok... So I went to my first Ranger game yesterday in the "new" MSG (7 months away was a long time).

I thought that the food court (200 secs) was a bit more crowded and a pain to walk through. I suspect that with the walking ring gone everyone is forced to the hallways?

The restrooms seemed to have longer lines (perhaps I'm getting older and are more impatient or the urge to go is more imminent?).

On a more important note... The sight lines were great. I can finally see into the corners. I thought the Tv's were neat (even if I am in row 2 and had to steal a view from row 1). I sat in the middle of the row (as opposed to the aisle that I had for 20 years) but the extra leg room was appreciated). The lighting on the ice looked brighter
than I remembered but was great (probably an illusion). The viewing was most definitely was a step up.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Pretty sure it's the caps they are worried about. While most people wouldn't consider throwing either, caps are a lot more likely to be thrown because it's a) less likely to hurt someone, and b) harder to get caught doing so.
I've talked to people in the business about it--they say it's a combination of both. The caps can cause people to fall (and then sue) and the having a full bottle in the heat of a game can lead to nasty incidents when they are thrown.

You can request them to put the contents of the bottle in a cup, with ice even, so it's less likely to spill.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Anyone go last night? Was the 8th floor concourse a disaster between periods?
The Garden did not have the tap beer stands open on the interior side of the concourse last night. Flow through the concourse was better then at the opener. I did not go down into the concourses between periods -- only during TV timeouts. I was able to use the restroom and get back to my seats before play resumed.

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 AM
tailgunner

ainsworth prime? is this restaurant open?....any good restaurants inside the garden worth checking out? too bad the play by play is gone, what is in it's place now?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Is the guided tours at the garden available to the public?

Old
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
JoeBoo

Years ago during a Cleveland football game fans started throwing bottles on the field. Here is a refresher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQjaPVwmnAM

That was my belief in the primary reason they stopped giving you caps, for all events including baseball, ice hockey, soccer, and concerts. I could understand an underlying reason that in arenas they wouldn't want people slipping, lawsuits, etc.

When it comes down to it, I miss the MSG from before any of these renovations, I have yet to attend a game this year, but when I was at the home opener last year, it was a massacre. People cursing all over the place, no organization with concession lines, bathroom lines everywhere, people bumping into each other. Granted that was in between periods, but they straightened that out real quick the following home game.

I feel as though even though most of the renovations are considered improvements to sight line, modernization, technology, it all comes down to the almighty dollar. They took away the indoor walkway-concourse, which I personally believe was the best thing ever. In between periods you could access almost any section in the arena to go meet a friend or other season ticket holders. Now, everything is purposely sectioned off so if you attempt to meet someone in the upper bowl from the lower bowl, you need to make sure your on that specific side of the rink, go down the stairs or escalator at the correct gate or go to the other side and find the correct gate vice-versa. I have yet to see the new upper concourse, but hopefully they have addressed that issue.

The gateways into the arena are the most frustrating from what I recall in the lower bowl. Yes there is televisions everywhere, but I truly do miss being able to stand where the ushers were to watch the game (if the play was going on, and you couldn't get back to the seat in time). This ***** with the stairways and someone telling you, you can't look at the ice infuriates me - paying to attend a game and you can't even look at the ice. Yes the argument is that the rows of seats are longer, so they are obviously more strict with going to your seat during a play, unless you can shimmy your way telling them you have the aisle. BUT some of these rows are absolutely disproportionate in leg room with other rows. Something like every 5th or 6th row in the lower bowl had slightly extra leg room, while the row behind it had significantly less. This make it extremely difficult for my father at 6 foot 6, and myself at 6'2" if we are lucky enough to sit in those specific rows.

Figure I throw in my 2 cents since I'm not a very active poster on this forum. Thanks.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoo View Post
Years ago during a Cleveland football game fans started throwing bottles on the field. Here is a refresher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQjaPVwmnAM

That was my belief in the primary reason they stopped giving you caps, for all events including baseball, ice hockey, soccer, and concerts. I could understand an underlying reason that in arenas they wouldn't want people slipping, lawsuits, etc.

When it comes down to it, I miss the MSG from before any of these renovations, I have yet to attend a game this year, but when I was at the home opener last year, it was a massacre. People cursing all over the place, no organization with concession lines, bathroom lines everywhere, people bumping into each other. Granted that was in between periods, but they straightened that out real quick the following home game.

I feel as though even though most of the renovations are considered improvements to sight line, modernization, technology, it all comes down to the almighty dollar. They took away the indoor walkway-concourse, which I personally believe was the best thing ever. In between periods you could access almost any section in the arena to go meet a friend or other season ticket holders. Now, everything is purposely sectioned off so if you attempt to meet someone in the upper bowl from the lower bowl, you need to make sure your on that specific side of the rink, go down the stairs or escalator at the correct gate or go to the other side and find the correct gate vice-versa. I have yet to see the new upper concourse, but hopefully they have addressed that issue.

The gateways into the arena are the most frustrating from what I recall in the lower bowl. Yes there is televisions everywhere, but I truly do miss being able to stand where the ushers were to watch the game (if the play was going on, and you couldn't get back to the seat in time). This ***** with the stairways and someone telling you, you can't look at the ice infuriates me - paying to attend a game and you can't even look at the ice. Yes the argument is that the rows of seats are longer, so they are obviously more strict with going to your seat during a play, unless you can shimmy your way telling them you have the aisle. BUT some of these rows are absolutely disproportionate in leg room with other rows. Something like every 5th or 6th row in the lower bowl had slightly extra leg room, while the row behind it had significantly less. This make it extremely difficult for my father at 6 foot 6, and myself at 6'2" if we are lucky enough to sit in those specific rows.

Figure I throw in my 2 cents since I'm not a very active poster on this forum. Thanks.
For some of us (old 300s rows 1-3) the indoor walkway was the worst thing ever. Now our sight lines are much improved and we no longer get distracted by people walking right in front of us 50 times a game. Eliminating that has been amazing for my new row 1 and 2 seats.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
JoeBoo

I read somewhere else that the distance from the ice to your seats are farther away. Is that true?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoo View Post
I read somewhere else that the distance from the ice to your seats are farther away. Is that true?
The opposite is true, the angle was made steeper so you're pushed forward

Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
The opposite is true, the angle was made steeper so you're pushed forward
im not sure if thats the case for everyone.. i was in the 400s and im definitely higher and further away than i used to be

Old
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
nevesis

Quote:
For some of us (old 300s rows 1-3) the indoor walkway was the worst thing ever. Now our sight lines are much improved and we no longer get distracted by people walking right in front of us 50 times a game. Eliminating that has been amazing for my new row 1 and 2 seats.
Ha...just wait till the bridges are put up.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
im not sure if thats the case for everyone.. i was in the 400s and im definitely higher and further away than i used to be
Are you sure you're in the same row - what's the equivalent 200s row now compared to say the old 400s row 1

Old
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Are you sure you're in the same row - what's the equivalent 200s row now compared to say the old 400s row 1
Row 15 is the equivalent to row A of the old 400's. The way the old 400's was constructed though it's definitely possible that the new corner 200's are farther and higher away than the old 400's.

01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Ha...just wait till the bridges are put up.
You think the bridges are going to disturb the sight lines of the first few rows of the new 200s? Sure, they may be directly over our heads, but I'm not expecting it to be a distraction. The last 6-10 rows is entirely a different issue imo.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

The old MSG had a uniqueness about its seating arrangement with everyone on the same plane. Not it feels like every other multi tiered arena. You have to leave the bowl to get to the upper seats from ice level in the pre-game warm ups. It's like they casted off the "cheap seats".

Old
01-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
After sitting in the upper 200s a couple days ago, I honestly don't think the bridges will be a problem.

01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
well i was in row C and i was placed in row 19, and people in row b were placed in row 18. i mean i look at the blue seats all the time and theres at least a 6 to 8 row difference in terms of height.

im much further away than i used to be

Old
01-25-2013, 03:08 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
You think the bridges are going to disturb the sight lines of the first few rows of the new 200s? Sure, they may be directly over our heads, but I'm not expecting it to be a distraction. The last 6-10 rows is entirely a different issue imo.
This mockup has overhead lighting:

Everything in the shadow will have that bridge overhead. Hopefully the bridges will be high enough that they won't be a distraction and you can see most of the ceiling above center ice. The effect should be likethe west balcony over, say section 217 right now. The back 200s are f'd though, tunnel vision view

Old
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
This mockup has overhead lighting:

Everything in the shadow will have that bridge overhead. Hopefully the bridges will be high enough that they won't be a distraction and you can see most of the ceiling above center ice. The effect should be likethe west balcony over, say section 217 right now. The back 200s are f'd though, tunnel vision view
How many feet above the first row of the 200s would you guess the bottom of the bridge is? 20 feet, 30? Wonder if they'll be installing lighting on the underside of the bridge, or if us Row 1-5 people will be sitting in the shadows.

And yeah, the back 200s are f'd. I'd get the hell out of there ASAP.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
NYRKING30

So I am in section 226 row 13. I am only 5'9 and my legs are hitting up against the seat in front of me, on both sides of me i have peoples legs right up against mine. On the plus side the sightlines are much better. I think they did a really good job with that and screwed up in other areas. If they made it even slightly more steeper I don't think the legroom would be much of an issue. As it was said a couple of pages ago, after a few games I would think the 8th floor would be less jammed.

If your judging the renovations on views then I think they did great.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:44 PM
nyrmetros

Omg I hate the place....... The upper level concourse is crazy crowded.... More criticism to follow when I get home...

Old
01-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

3 games in. I'm moving through the concourse way faster than before. Guess im alone there.
Bathrooms are good IF you go in the final 5 minutes of break

Old
01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
jiveseed

It's criminal what NYR did to a lot of ticket holders in the 400s. I was row e, section 418 for years. I'm now row 23 in 222. I am at least 15 rows farther from the ice than last season. My seat is more narrow. My legroom is about half of what it used to be. Oh, and I pay 5 bucks more per game. Will not be renewing the tickets I started after the last lockout. Was lied to and deceived on the phone when they said my new seats would be better. The renovation has ruined the upper tier.

Closed Thread