HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders bars in Manhattan?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Moosie

vCash: 500
Take over a bar near Barclay's. The junior hockey team in my town got thrown out of their building because of renovations this season and next, so we are downtown Indianapolis. My friend and I walked into a bar across from Bankers Life Fieldhouse wearing our jerseys, and the management can't do enough for us. Win win.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
seafoam

vCash: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
We should find a bar near the Barclays Center and start claiming it as our own in advance of the move.
This. As fans, we need to start claiming land near Barclays before rag$ fans try to populate the area.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
This. As fans, we need to start claiming land near Barclays before rag$ fans try to populate the area.
Not trying to be nasty here, but why would Ranger fans do this if they haven't done so already before the move was announced? Just because the Isles are moving in?

But, you are right in that a place near the Barclays would be best. It's easier to get to for most folks living in the city (well, Brooklyn and Manhattan anyway) and it's the neighborhood the team will be playing in. Hopefully bar owners will be smart enough to embrace the team from now in anticipation of the move in 2.5 years.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
MTK

I am not sure of strictly Isles bar in NYC. Jack Russells if anything I would recommend. I do know Buffalo Sabres and Capitals bars.

The Flying Puck even though is a RAG bar, is a cool place to catch some games. It does get packed but I like the setup.

Blue Moon Mexican Cafe (not sure if it is still there) is another hockey bar.

In BK, by the time the Isles get there, the neighborhood will be adding a lot of new bars and restaurants. I know there are some Brooklyn fans that do meet up for games in Brooklyn not sure where though.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Woodwork would be cool if they were into showing hockey. Plan B looks a bit much though. They also haven't updated their calendar since 2011, so I'm not sure what that means. There might be a couple of places on the Park Slope side of things. There's one place on 5th Ave not too far off of Flatbush that might be decent.
Where? Machavalle? I've never been there. Anyone? Not knowing it, I would prefer Woodwork. North on 5th Ave., particularly late on a Friday/Saturday evening is not my favorite place to be. And this is from a guy who lived next to the Bushwick Houses and in Crown Heights. Some people just tend to come there looking for trouble, I guess.

For when the Isles move in, my favorite place around there is and will remain the Black Sheep Pub. O'course, it's not a sports bar.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Where? Machavalle? I've never been there. Anyone? Not knowing it, I would prefer Woodwork. North on 5th Ave., particularly late on a Friday/Saturday evening is not my favorite place to be. And this is from a guy who lived next to the Bushwick Houses and in Crown Heights. Some people just tend to come there looking for trouble, I guess.

For when the Isles move in, my favorite place around there is and will remain the Black Sheep Pub. O'course, it's not a sports bar.

Cheers,

Dan-o
No, I had the Black Sheep Pub in mind, but I guess that won't do. I didn't realize it wasn't a place that showed sports as I've never been in there. Always wanted to though.

There's a Facebook group called "Islanders Fans In Brooklyn" or something like that and the guy who runs it was having meet-ups last season somewhere around Barclays. I can check out the place he was doing it at and see if it's any good...

Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
No, I had the Black Sheep Pub in mind, but I guess that won't do. I didn't realize it wasn't a place that showed sports as I've never been in there. Always wanted to though.

There's a Facebook group called "Islanders Fans In Brooklyn" or something like that and the guy who runs it was having meet-ups last season somewhere around Barclays. I can check out the place he was doing it at and see if it's any good...
If you read the Yelp reviews it sounds like it's changed since Barclay's.

I'll call Woodwork later on and see their general feeling..

d

Old
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
MTK

Quote:

Black Sheep Pub offers a PBR and shot of whiskey $5

Old
01-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Black Sheep Pub offers a PBR and shot of whiskey $5
Holy sh**, bars still do that? I used to get that at B-side. I couldn't handle it anymore.

They pull a good Guinness there. At least some of the 'tenders do.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Strummergas

Looks like the Islanders Fans in Brooklyn page on FB was meeting at Machavelle. I've never been hear either. Any good Dan-o?

EDIT: Actually I'm not really digging it based on the Yelp reviews. Anyone have a good experience at this place?

Old
01-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Screw it, lets just go to Buffalo Wild Wings

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Holy sh**, bars still do that? I used to get that at B-side. I couldn't handle it anymore.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Yeah, last time I took advantage of a deal like that was when I met up with Enigmatic after the Isles announced the move to Barclays. I wound up in a cast for a month.

I believe Redd's does a deal like this too...

Old
01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Screw it, lets just go to Buffalo Wild Wings
Nah, we should find a smaller place that we can take over and call our own. A smaller place might even come up with some sort of drink special for the nights we meet up if there's enough interest. Wild Wings would never be able to do that.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Metnut

There's a couple small bars near Barclays that I like. One of them "Pacific Standard" has a few TVs, nice bartenders, and a great beer selection full of awesome microbreweries (they also have buckets of iced bud light bottles).

I've seen the place get crowded before for certain pregames, but I think it would be ripe for the taking if we brought a good crew once every month or so for a weeknight game.

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
MTK

Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o
It was $5 or $6 in September, my buddy lives 1 block down. Good apps there as well.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metnut View Post
There's a couple small bars near Barclays that I like. One of them "Pacific Standard" has a few TVs, nice bartenders, and a great beer selection full of awesome microbreweries (they also have buckets of iced bud light bottles).

I've seen the place get crowded before for certain pregames, but I think it would be ripe for the taking if we brought a good crew once every month or so for a weeknight game.
This is another place that I've always wanted to go to. I used to work around there and would pass it all the time.

I think it would be ideal if we picked away games to meet up for, especially if we choose a place near Barclays. This way, we wouldn't have to worry about the place getting too packed for "pre-games:.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Woah woah woah! We've been seriously slacking on whats probably the most important factor!

Which bar has the prettiest bartenders?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Woah woah woah! We've been seriously slacking on whats probably the most important factor!

Well then we definitely won't be going to Buffalo Wind Wings!

Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
MTK

These are the places now. I saw a breakdown on where new places have already staked their claim to open up. So there will be plenty to choose from.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/0...ys-center.html

Grab a Beer.

Before or after a game, these are the best spots:
4th Ave Pub: A huge beer selection, plus, free popcorn!
Der Schwarze Kölner: The Fort Greene beer garden is open until 1 a.m. on weekdays and 4 a.m. on weekends
High Dive: The beer's cheap at this Park Slope joint.
Mission Dolores: A beer-heavy bar in an old garage that opens midafternoon and doesn't close until 4 a.m.
Pacific Standard: Some fantastic beer on tap at this laid-back California bar.

Or Something Stronger ...
Flatbush Bar(n): The next-door restaurant is a neighborhood favorite, but it closes at 11. The bar stays open until 3 a.m.
Frank's Cocktail Lounge: The Fort Greene throwback is much-loved for a reason — it's outstanding.
Hank's Saloon: A dive bar in the best possible sense.
Soda Bar: There's a laid-back vibe and tons of seating, which makes this a great place for a postshow whiskey.
Union Hall: It's a fifteen-minute walk from the arena, but there's bocce!
Weather Up: High-end cocktails at this white-tiled spot on Vanderbilt.

Eat Before a Game.

Those 7:30 tip-offs are tough to make — these places serve food fast.
Bark Hot Dogs: The sausage-focused equivalent of Shake Shack, this is twee Brooklyn's version of fast food.
Beast: They don't open until six, but the small-plates menu makes it easy to eat in a hurry.
Bklyn Larder: The gourmet grocery store is a great spot for a sandwich or to grab snacks for later — if you think you can get them past Barclays security.
James: Sit at the bar and order a burger.
The Smoke Joint: Grab some pregame barbecue at this spot. It's open all day.

Head Here When the Nets Are Getting Blown Out.

Leave the arena early, then make up for a bad game with a good meal.
606 R&D: As the Underground Gourmet points out, the menu here goes way beyond its "comfort food" trappings.
Convivium Osteria: A fantastic, candlelit trattoria on Fifth Avenue.
Franny's: It's one of New York's best restaurants, and the owners postponed their upcoming move for a few months.

Where to Eat After an Event.

These places stay open late.
Blue Ribbon Brooklyn: Steak tartare and bone marrow just taste better at midnight.
No. 7: Dinner stops at 11 p.m., but the bar's open late.
Pork Slope: The kitchen at Dale Talde's Fifth Avenue bar cranks out ribs, burgers, and tater tots until 2 a.m.
Terroir Park Slope: Marco Canora and Paul Greico's wine bar keeps it kitchen up 'til 1 a.m. on weekends.
The Vanderbilt: Head here for the weekend-only late-night menu.

Last edited by MTK: 01-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:

If I'm going to pick where the prettiest woman serves me drinks, I'll just stay home.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Metnut

Quote:
This is another place that I've always wanted to go to. I used to work around there and would pass it all the time.

I think it would be ideal if we picked away games to meet up for, especially if we choose a place near Barclays. This way, we wouldn't have to worry about the place getting too packed for "pre-games:.
Agreed. Our best bet would be to select a road game on a Mon-Thu night when the Nets aren't playing.

Metnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
If I'm going to pick where the prettiest woman serves me drinks, I'll just stay home.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Was your wife looking over your shoulder when you posted that?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1348
Quote:
Not trying to be nasty here, but why would Ranger fans do this if they haven't done so already before the move was announced? Just because the Isles are moving in?
But, you are right in that a place near the Barclays would be best. It's easier to get to for most folks living in the city (well, Brooklyn and Manhattan anyway) and it's the neighborhood the team will be playing in. Hopefully bar owners will be smart enough to embrace the team from now in anticipation of the move in 2.5 years.
I'm not from the city so I wouldn't know how fans operate.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
seabass45

I used to go to 200 Fifth in Park Slope for a few weeknight games and there are TVs all over the place. Solid bar food. Can get busy on weekends.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I'm not from the city so I wouldn't know how fans operate.
Fair enough. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a d***. Just wondering why you would think that.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-25-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: EDIT