HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

New York Islanders put emphasis on quick start for shortened NHL season

Old
01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500

Earlier in the season, Martin and Hamonic made comments about the team needing to show progress, make the playoffs. Sounds like it's the team motto for 2012-2013.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...HL-season.html
2013-01-25 00:02:00
"We need to get off to a quick start if we want to make the playoffs," said left-winger Matt Moulson, who scored his first two goals of the season as the Isles defeated the host Toronto Maple Leafs 7-4 on Thursday night. "There's not much time to catch up (in the standings), and we want to get off to a good start in the first five games and go from there."

"We're working on (becoming a playoff team)," said Brad Boyes, who signed with the Islanders last summer as an unrestricted free agent and scored his first goal of the season—and added a pair of assists—against Toronto.

Added Boyes: "We've got a lot of young guys who have been together for a while, they've grown and developed together, and now it's about trying to take the next step.…Changing to a winning mindset and making the playoffs."

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
AaronIsles

They're getting into the right mindset this year. They realize this is a team that can compete, now they just have to put it all together into a winning season. I really do hope we can make the playoffs.

AaronIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

So far so good.

01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronIsles View Post
They're getting into the right mindset this year. They realize this is a team that can compete, now they just have to put it all together into a winning season. I really do hope we can make the playoffs.
I agree. I'm glad they honestly seem to expect to make a serious playoff push. They have high expectations of themselves.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I agree. I'm glad they honestly seem to expect to make a serious playoff push. They have high expectations of themselves.
While it's good they are talking/thinking along these lines, the expectations before last season were sky high after that strong finish the year before. That went up in smoke pretty quick.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:18 PM
jjricco8

Can someone please remind me which team, in the history of the NHL, did not put an emphasis on getting off to a fast start?

"Listen guys, it a long season, don't worry about winning right now." ~ said no coach ever

jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjricco8 View Post
Can someone please remind me which team, in the history of the NHL, did not put an emphasis on getting off to a fast start?

"Listen guys, it a long season, don't worry about winning right now." ~ said no coach ever
It's not about the coaches saying get off to a good start. It's about the players having the expectation, that they are going to make the playoffs.

I love the 'no excuses this season' attitude.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjricco8 View Post

I don't know about that. I will tell that there was a team that put no emphasis on playing defense to start the season but I can't name names.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
While it's good they are talking/thinking along these lines, the expectations before last season were sky high after that strong finish the year before. That went up in smoke pretty quick.

I'd love to be proven wrong.
I think this season's defense, is a big improvement over last season's aging placeholders.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think this season's defense, is a big improvement over last season's aging placeholders.
And half of this years defense is made up of waiver wire pickups. I guess it's up for debate which is worse.

I will concede that A-Mac and Hamonic seem to be the real deal but we need a whole lot more than that. Streit hasn't looked like himself for a long ass time.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote