HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
kajoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by legionista View Post
I believe this was an exhibition/charity game with participants from the Police and Fire Department, more pics. and info can be found here.

http://gdansk.naszemiasto.pl/artykul...d.html#galeria
yeah thats it, white jersey with circular logo looks same. Thanks for clarification.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:54 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Something similiar will be with Medvescak if joins to KHL. Week ago Medvedev was in Zagreb to meet with people from Croatian govrement about building a gas route through Croatia.
if this link is correct, Medvescak´s 11/12 season budget was about €3 million. I couldnt imagine how will Medvescak raise their budget that radically to min €10m without russian money.

I still find it far more entertaining to bribe country´s officials by funding their hockey team than putting money into their pockets

Old
01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Wednesday was the first time anyone really heard about this. Supposedly negotiations between the local hockey authorities in Gdansk, along with the mayor and Medvedev have been ongoing for a little while before the story came out. To be honest, as I have learned from history, this initiative has to have involvement from many parties both domestic and foreign to work, everyone has to be on the same page, however I fear financial reasons will get in the way of negotiations and not much will come of this. I hope I'm wrong though.
thx for info

Old
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
if this link is correct, Medvescak´s 11/12 season budget was about €3 million. I couldnt imagine how will Medvescak raise their budget that radically to min €10m without russian money.

I still find it far more entertaining to bribe country´s officials by funding their hockey team than putting money into their pockets
Of course they can't do it without russian money, but probably there will be some new fresh money from croatian compaines who are willing to promote themselves on russian market. Hopefully we will find out soon

Old
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

What about shareholders of Ergo arena, even possibility comparison to O2 arena and HC Lev. HC Lev did not make a deal in O2 arena (best in city) and their home arena is old Sparta holding arena.

I know it's so far early to talk about that, but with expectation of small attendance in first season, it's a question how it'll look in 15 000 seat arena...

Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
What about shareholders of Ergo arena, even possibility comparison to O2 arena and HC Lev. HC Lev did not make a deal in O2 arena (best in city) and their home arena is old Sparta holding arena.

I know it's so far early to talk about that, but with expectation of small attendance in first season, it's a question how it'll look in 15 000 seat arena...
You know Minsk had a fairly small arena with a pretty bad attendence before they moved into the 15k,now every game in this arena is a sellout.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
You know Minsk had a fairly small arena with a pretty bad attendence before they moved into the 15k,now every game in this arena is a sellout.
Allright, but Belarus is a hockey country. Can you say this regarding Poland.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
legionista

Quote:

Regionally the only other arena would be Hala Olivia, which is condemned last I heard due to a risk of roof collapse.
Having hockey in the north of Poland I believe is strategic to attract more people from Russia (Kaliningrad area), and to try to have the people of the Tri-City area (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot) to eventually become big supporters. Only thing is people from Russia cannot freely travel to Poland w/ out visas, Russia is not within the Schengen Zone.
I think it would make more sense to have a team in the south of Poland where there is much more interest in hockey, and more accessible to other nations which can freely cross the border such as Slovakia, Czech, Hungary.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Regionally the only other arena would be Hala Olivia, which is condemned last I heard due to a risk of roof collapse.
Having hockey in the north of Poland I believe is strategic to attract more people from Russia (Kaliningrad area), and to try to have the people of the Tri-City area (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot) to eventually become big supporters. Only thing is people from Russia cannot freely travel to Poland w/ out visas, Russia is not within the Schengen Zone.
I think it would make more sense to have a team in the south of Poland where there is much more interest in hockey, and more accessible to other nations which can freely cross the border such as Slovakia, Czech, Hungary.
Exactly why I'm good with Silesian KHL club idea.

Ok, I hope We'll see what that Tri-city area around Gdańsk can offer. Thanks for feedback regarding Olivia arena.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

What about ICBC and Bank of China as sponsors? Kidding, of course

Old
01-25-2013, 01:01 PM
kajoo

Quote:

Medvescak Zagreb moved from 6,5k to 15k arena and are regularly selling out arena. New team, new league, curiosity factor, Gdansk win few games and people jump on bandwagoon.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
Medvescak Zagreb moved from 6,5k to 15k arena and are regularly selling out arena. New team, new league, curiosity factor, Gdansk win few games and people jump on bandwagoon.

Medvescak plays only few games in 15k Arena, because their 6,5k hall is occupied with some Tennis tournament in late january, and this year with european figure skating. If joins KHL plan is then to play all games in 15k arena, after all, their big attendance is why Medvedev wants them in league.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
helloutsi

Quote:
Actually, Kaliningrad Oblast citizens and citiziens of a couple of Polish 'powiat' (I guess it's best translated into English as 'county') which lay near the Polish-Russian border can now cross the border without a normal visa but cannot cross the borders of those counties or the Kaliningrad Oblast. The only thing you need is some kind of permission, don't remember where you go to get it. Gdansk Powiat is also a part of that zone and you can see a lot of Russian license plates these days, especially on weekends (I live nearby Gdansk, though sadly far enough not to be included in that zone).

I'd love to see a KHL club in Gdansk and I'd definitely try to attend at least some of the games as I have only a half-an-hour drive to the arena. Seeing what happened with hockey in Gdansk in the last couple of years I hope that this is an entirely new project, started from scratch and that none of the people who run the old Stoczniowiec club are involved. I had attended the last Stoczniowiec home game, I had also seen in person the fans put the club owner into a wheel-barrow and drive him out of the arena, I hope we don't have to see **** like this again.

This is how the arena looked after one of the last home games. This is however not the arena the new club is planning to play in.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Could anyone kindly give me an update on which potential locations are rumoured to be in discussions about joining the KHL next season and beyond? How are these rumours developing? It's difficult to keep up.

Are there any Russian markets likely to be expanded into?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:34 AM
ult

Yes - Sochi. Reasons?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

if anybody speaking polish, http://www.tvn24.pl/hokeisci-z-gdans...,303646,s.html

Old
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Allright, but Belarus is a hockey country. Can you say this regarding Poland.
The country has potential.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Polish Club - Olivia Gdańsk - filed documents and wants to be in the KHL hockey league. Founded by the Russians Kontinientalnaja Chokkiejnaja League is the second most important club competition in the world.

- Club of Gdansk applied to the KHL. Their coach Vyacheslav Bykov will most likely. It will not be next season, but in the near future.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:33 AM
RicEsteban85

So, it looks like Milano Rossoblu and Medveščak Zagreb are the next expansion targets and going to join soon, further willing candidates are the Helvetics and Oliva (btw are there any news on the Swiss project?)

It would make a 30 team league which is just enough to make the khl competative and more profitable over the next years. Hopfully relulting in infrastructural improvements.

Just following this scenario, a map to visualise the most western teams, I wonder how the conferences and divisions will be divided...do you think a pure western division with the Helvetics, Milano, Medvescak, Prague and Bratislava is a good idea?
Attached Images
File Type: png khlexpansion.png‎ (267.5 KB, 27 views)

Old
02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicEsteban85 View Post
So, it looks like Milano Rossoblu and Medveščak Zagreb are the next expansion targets and going to join soon, further willing candidates are the Helvetics and Oliva (btw are there any news on the Swiss project?)

It would make a 30 team league which is just enough to make the khl competative and more profitable over the next years. Hopfully relulting in infrastructural improvements.

Just following this scenario, a map to visualise the most western teams, I wonder how the conferences and divisions will be divided...do you think a pure western division with the Helvetics, Milano, Medvescak, Prague and Bratislava is a good idea?
That is not yet sure. DEspite Medvedev said it is 95% sure, I will start to believe when it will be official.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Spektanto

I tried to make a list of clubs which are to join KHL somewhen - like the one in Wikipedia. The file with the articles which the list based on is attached. There is still a great deal of work with it, of course, especially with European media cause all links are Russian.
Attached Images
File Type: png KHL Expansion 1 January.png‎ (39.3 KB, 31 views)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx KHL Expansion.xlsx‎ (17.6 KB, 1 views)

Old
02-03-2013, 12:25 PM
russianhockey

thank you very much for this great overview.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
russianhockey

pity that we dont have new candidates from Czech Rep. or Slovakia.

which teams from this 2 countries could be potential candidaties?

Old
02-03-2013, 12:46 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post
pity that we dont have new candidates from Czech Rep. or Slovakia.

which teams from this 2 countries could be potential candidaties?
Why? Slovakia and CR are covered, move on.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Faterson

No, Slovakia definitely isn't "covered". Košice (at least) need to join the KHL, too -- it's that simple.

Closed Thread