HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit - Montreal - Kaberle

Old
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Kaberle - Puck moving dman that we need (actually we need any top 4 dman right now) Big 4.5m contract, Canadiens possibly looking at buying him out anyways end of the year. Aging and on the decline but can provide enough minutes for the Detroit blue line.

for

Sheahan - Very close to being the 3/4 defensive center that can chip in with maybe 5-10 goals a year but has size and wheels. Young enough that he could potential have top six upside but I wouldn't bet on it. Gives the Canadiens a way to rid themselves of Kaberle acquiring some depth size down the middle that is young and has speed to fit their team.

Wings want a defender, Kaberle was always on my list of guys that should fit into the system. With Ferraro improving his game, Andersson being in AHL and can fill a defensive role and likely Emmerton/Abdelkader locking down the 3/4 center slots, I see Sheahan as a possibly attractive young depth piece to move for a defender that can help our team maybe for the next 2 years while we wait for our d prospects to get up to speed.
Detroit cannot... I repeat, cannot move the purple telletubby. Sheahan is already NHL close and they're going to need him sooner than later. Kaberle would be nothing more than a stop gap at the end of his career. I dont see the Wings being active in acquiring older defenseman with little left in the tank.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

If I were Detroit, I'd target Yannick Weber from the Habs. He's much younger than Kaberle, a little grittier, would come cheaper and still has some upside.
Kaberle for Sheahan I'd do in a heartbeat, but Detroit would not. Maybe Kaberle + Weber for Sheahan + 3rd?

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:19 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
If Subban signs I am sure the Habs will let him go on th cheap. Probably a 2nd would do it
And that's overpayment.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Jurky
The Human Genius

vCash: 77
No thanks, We don't need Kaberle and we can't afford to trade prospects with NHL centerman potential since we only really have two.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Dharvey33

Weber and a pick for Abdel Kader? Not that we need him but i like his play a lot.

Kaberle for whatever gives us a 4rd rounder and he's all yours.

I do agree he is still a good pp passer and if he gets sheltered minutes he won't look bad. Problem with all our d now he can't get those sheltered minutes because he's the odd man out.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
Kaberle only has 1 year left on his contract so its not the end of the world, plus you only have to pay him half of it this seasin if not less pending when the deal gets done

If Subban signs I am sure the Habs will let him go on th cheap. Probably a 2nd would do it
The amount it would cost (cash) for the remainder of Kaberle's contract is not the issue. It's the cap hit. With the the cap dropping by nearly 6 mill next year, using
4.25 on him doesn't make much sense.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
The amount it would cost (cash) for the remainder of Kaberle's contract is not the issue. It's the cap hit. With the the cap dropping by nearly 6 mill next year, using
What if the Habs retain $1.5mil?

You then get Kaberle at $2.75mil.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:04 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Oh, come on, why be so modest. When he arrives over-ripe in Detroit 5 years from now we'll have forgotten all that has been written about him and realize that he'll be like Jim Slater but you'll have another prospect ripening who will be the next Mario Lemieux.

I remember the sarcastic comments the Detroit fan boys said about Markov during the summer. You should watch him a few times this season if you get a chance.
Markov is great. He just is not tradable. His injury history leaves large question marks. When healthy he is a legit number 1/2. When injured he isn't. MTL would want a top pair return and teams would be crazy to give a top pair return due to injury history.

Therefore untradeable. Pretty simple imo.

Jim Slater / Kris Draper/ would be Sheahan's down side I suppose. I just think he has more of offensive skill than he is given credit for. That style of player often develops late. He his showing some real progress in the AHL.

Good read up on him if your interested: http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/riley-sheahan/

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post

My guess the Wings aren't really looking for that type of player. Unless the habs retain 1.5 and the Wings give you Quincey Plus a late pick.

You can then attempt this whole deal over again. This time with Quincey.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Ginu

Please no. I have Howard in my pool.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
ChoseLa

To trade Kaberle you need a team with a terrible power play half way trough the season with a gm panicking. Detroit ain't that.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
After Subban signs, how about Kaberle for a 4th and we retain half his salary!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Don't forget you can buy him out without penalty at the end of the season as a compliance buyout - every team has 2 buyouts.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post

I don't think the Habs want to retain any salary on moving Kaberle. If he ends up being our second compliance buyout, it will be more attractive to just take his entire hit off the cap and use the extra space actively.

He has been decent so far this season. It's early. He looks sharper and quicker than last year, though. The Habs won't need him at all when Subban comes back, though, so if there is any offer out there that lets us trade him, I'd take it. It doesn't have to be for a prospect like Sheahan. It can be a draft pick alone.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
After Subban signs, how about Kaberle for a 4th and we retain half his salary!
We're going trough cap hell next season. I prefer to buy him out.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Face it Montreal, you are stuck with Kaberle, this deal is horrible.
Till we buy him out this summer...

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I don't think it's as bad as you think. If Galchenyuk plays we will probably have to trade a centerman. Especially with Bournival developing nicely in Hamilton.

Desharnais is an RFA and if he has a big season could possibly be moved instead of signed for a big contract.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think the Habs want to retain any salary on moving Kaberle. If he ends up being our second compliance buyout, it will be more attractive to just take his entire hit off the cap and use the extra space actively.
I'd rather move Kaberle even if means retaining a bit of salary for next season (and only next season). The compliance buyouts can be used this summer AND next, so I'd rather keep it just in case. If Molson is willing to spend, I think it could be used creatively to improve the team rather than just get rid of a player. I think having a buyout in hand would allow more flexibility when it comes to trades. The Habs won't have significant cap space until the summer of '14 anyway, so the dead cap space next year doesn't bother me.

Last edited by lamp9post: 01-25-2013 at 01:19 PM.
lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Markov is great. He just is not tradable. His injury history leaves large question marks. When healthy he is a legit number 1/2. When injured he isn't. MTL would want a top pair return and teams would be crazy to give a top pair return due to injury history.

Therefore untradeable. Pretty simple imo.

Jim Slater / Kris Draper/ would be Sheahan's down side I suppose. I just think he has more of offensive skill than he is given credit for. That style of player often develops late. He his showing some real progress in the AHL.

Good read up on him if your interested: http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/riley-sheahan/
Most Montreal fans will happily keep the "untradeable" Markov, though. As seen early this season already, Markov and Gionta are necessary pieces to this team. When they play, the team plays better. With those two guys in the lineup, we can compete for the playoffs and potentially go far when we reach them. Let me explain it this way: Crosby was injured for quite a bit of time last year. Should the Penguins have gotten rid of him for less than he was worth due to it? Of course not. Same for Markov. There is no reason for us to dump him when he is a legitimate #1 defenceman in this league. Yes, the "when healthy" part is an important addition to the valuation. Well, right now, he is healthy. So, he shifts from "untradeable" to "untouchable". I am happy with that situation.

Drydenwasthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Kaberle - Puck moving dman that we need (actually we need any top 4 dman right now) Big 4.5m contract, Canadiens possibly looking at buying him out anyways end of the year. Aging and on the decline but can provide enough minutes for the Detroit blue line.

for

Sheahan - Very close to being the 3/4 defensive center that can chip in with maybe 5-10 goals a year but has size and wheels. Young enough that he could potential have top six upside but I wouldn't bet on it. Gives the Canadiens a way to rid themselves of Kaberle acquiring some depth size down the middle that is young and has speed to fit their team.

Wings want a defender, Kaberle was always on my list of guys that should fit into the system. With Ferraro improving his game, Andersson being in AHL and can fill a defensive role and likely Emmerton/Abdelkader locking down the 3/4 center slots, I see Sheahan as a possibly attractive young depth piece to move for a defender that can help our team maybe for the next 2 years while we wait for our d prospects to get up to speed.
Trade Accepted!!!!! Would be very happy if that trade happen!

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Jimbo7200

I wouldn't touch this deal with a ten foot pole. Sheahan has been impressive since his DUI-Superdrunk-Teletubby incident. He attacks the net really well, and that is something the Wings are going to need going forward. He has done nothing but improve since he turned pro. I see his upside as Stoll/Laich. Good second/third line player who's dominant on special teams. The PK with Helm and Sheahan will be stout.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Most Montreal fans will happily keep the "untradeable" Markov, though. As seen early this season already, Markov and Gionta are necessary pieces to this team. When they play, the team plays better. With those two guys in the lineup, we can compete for the playoffs and potentially go far when we reach them. Let me explain it this way: Crosby was injured for quite a bit of time last year. Should the Penguins have gotten rid of him for less than he was worth due to it? Of course not. Same for Markov. There is no reason for us to dump him when he is a legitimate #1 defenceman in this league. Yes, the "when healthy" part is an important addition to the valuation. Well, right now, he is healthy. So, he shifts from "untradeable" to "untouchable". I am happy with that situation.
I was using the words interchangeably. Point is no reasonable GM would give Mtl enough trade value for MTL to justify trading Markov. His trade value is significantly less than his actual value. Which is why MTL will keep him. Simple really.

We have the same situation with Darren Helm.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I don't understand why you feel we'll be in cap hell next season. Gomez's contract is off the books for next year with no hit against the cap. We will find a taker for Kaberle when injuries start to mount around the league. This deal will be found with not having to eat any of his contract ( will only get a fourth for him at best tho). There are teams now who need defenceman and were only a week in. Those two contracts will mean appox 11.5 million off next year's total. Subban will give in and sign for two years at 8-8.5. Bourque is gonna have a turnaround year and his 3 million per year will be staying. If Markov suffers any longterm injury he can be put on ltir which will allow for a free agent replacement.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
HTT3*

I'd rather have PK Subban right's for Sheahan...

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:44 PM
LastRide

Kaberle hasn't been too bad with the Habs so far this year. Not to the potential for the money he's making. On the other hand. You can have Bouillon for a sack of potatoes.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote