HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 186: Cycles are more than just Mayannaise Calendars

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
battlingBard56

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
'unplug everything and plug it back in' usually works for me. can you ask a neighbor if they are having similar issues?

is this an old/crappy phone?
I did unplug and replug everything, with no results. I'll ask a neighbor though and see what's going on with them. Though...my mother just told me that Fios is updating some things today. Maybe that might be it.
If that is it though, I'm not sure why the internet would still be functioning.

The phone isn't too old, we got it a few months ago, but it's one of those really cheap cordless phones.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

cool...well, good luck! or, as a second option, ditch the landline lol.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

The looks on their faces.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Old
01-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
Hey guys need help with something. Our cordless phone (obviously a land line) is saying on the screen "No line". The phone itself is on but there's no dial tone. It's hooked up to the cables in the wall and is plugged in. And internet, which is connected to our phone, is working fine. So I'm kind of confused about this and not sure what to look for, or how to fix this.

Might it have something to do with the phone lines outside? If not, how can I go about solving this issue here? Thanks!
Assuming your phone and internet are both through the same provider (I saw you mention Fios in a later post, so I'm banking on it all being through Verizon), then it is kind of baffling that one works and not the other. I have comcast here and phone and internet are through them. When one is legitimately out, they're both out usually. Something being updated is a possibility I guess. Just does seem kind of strange. If the disconnect/reconnect everything move didn't work, I would say maybe try calling them (with a different phone obviously ) and see if this is a maintenance thing, or possibly some simple thing you can fix on your own.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Cowbell232

Honestly, it sounds like either your phone is broken or the wiring for the phones in your house is wrong... If it's only one phone, it's the phone. If it's all your phones, I'd call them out for a service call.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Just got back from my marketing research class. real interesting stuff.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Just got back from my marketing research class. real interesting stuff.
Really? My marketing research class may have been the most boring usage of my time that I've ever seen (when I showed up to class that is). Maybe its because of the professor I had. But that stuff was almost unbearable to me.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Assuming your phone and internet are both through the same provider (I saw you mention Fios in a later post, so I'm banking on it all being through Verizon), then it is kind of baffling that one works and not the other. I have comcast here and phone and internet are through them. When one is legitimately out, they're both out usually. Something being updated is a possibility I guess. Just does seem kind of strange. If the disconnect/reconnect everything move didn't work, I would say maybe try calling them (with a different phone obviously ) and see if this is a maintenance thing, or possibly some simple thing you can fix on your own.
Just called Verizon. They told me because of the upgrade that was scheduled to happen to our service, the phone's line was temporarily disabled while it was being done. Also asked if it was possible for the internet to be working while the phone wasn't, the guy said yes. The question I should've asked was "why is the internet working when the phone's line isn't?" I'm assuming it's because the phone's not actually being shut off and because the wires are still connected. I'm guessing because I'm clueless about this stuff, lol... ^^;

Thank you Scott04 and MartyOwns for the help. Much appreciated. =]

Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Cowbell232

All FiOS service goes over the same fiber line. TV, phone, and internet. And then the box on the side of your house or your basement, whatever, controls what goes where. The TV portion goes directly into where your old coaxial cable went, so the wiring in the house is the same, and the phone line portion goes to the old system in your house - so the wiring is the same.

It's actually really cool technology they use to convert their fiber optic stuff back into "old" telephone and cable lines. So, the upgrade must be to the phone converter stuff, so your phone line is off but everything else is fine.

At a really geeky level, there's a lot of really cool stuff going on in how FiOS handles the data. There's some really cool hacks out there for watching TV at remote locations, cable boxes in other places, stuff like that.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
battlingBard56

Last edited by battlingBard56: 01-25-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: should've read all the posts before posting.
Old
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
All FiOS service goes over the same fiber line. TV, phone, and internet. And then the box on the side of your house or your basement, whatever, controls what goes where. The TV portion goes directly into where your old coaxial cable went, so the wiring in the house is the same, and the phone line portion goes to the old system in your house - so the wiring is the same.

It's actually really cool technology they use to convert their fiber optic stuff back into "old" telephone and cable lines. So, the upgrade must be to the phone converter stuff, so your phone line is off but everything else is fine.

At a really geeky level, there's a lot of really cool stuff going on in how FiOS handles the data. There's some really cool hacks out there for watching TV at remote locations, cable boxes in other places, stuff like that.
Ahh okay, I see now. That makes sense.

It really is fascinating stuff. Once explained, it's pretty cool to learn. =]

Old
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Really? My marketing research class may have been the most boring usage of my time that I've ever seen (when I showed up to class that is). Maybe its because of the professor I had. But that stuff was almost unbearable to me.
Well this was the first class but the professor seems cool and made it sound interesting. So it's still to be determined if I'll like it.

Also, I will be attending a rave somewhere in Brooklyn tonight. Harry Potter theme. **** you not.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
devilsblood

Got a pond skate in this morning. Going back again tonight.

1st time on the ice in numerous years. Skated much better then I anticipated.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Well this was the first class but the professor seems cool and made it sound interesting. So it's still to be determined if I'll like it.

Also, I will be attending a rave somewhere in Brooklyn tonight. Harry Potter theme. **** you not.
The professor could be the different. Mine was quite awkward, had an amazing beard, and looked like he came straight from some isolated mountain village. All around strange. Really my only entertainment in the class was studying this guy's mannerisms and imagining him as a hill person. It kept me busy I guess.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I'm having weird problems with my phone. It's an old phone, but it's very bizarre. I can't call anybody local on their cell phone, but I can call them on their landline. It doesn't even start ringing when I call local cell phones. When I called a friend in Jersey on his cell it works. When I call a local cell phone number on the landline at work it goes through. I can still text to anyone, but can't get a call through to anybody local on their cell phones with my cell phone.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm having weird problems with my phone. It's an old phone, but it's very bizarre. I can't call anybody local on their cell phone, but I can call them on their landline. It doesn't even start ringing when I call local cell phones. When I called a friend in Jersey on his cell it works. When I call a local cell phone number on the landline at work it goes through. I can still text to anyone, but can't get a call through to anybody local on their cell phones with my cell phone.
Are you including the area code? You have to from cell phones now...

Old
01-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Are you including the area code? You have to from cell phones now...
Yeah I have them in the entry's on my contacts. A guy I work with just tried to use his, and his isn't going through on local calls either. Must be something with the towers here. Strange how I can call landlines, and cells out of the area. I also got 3, or 4 service bars. I thought it was this ancient phone, but apparently not!

Old
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Finally talked to this cute redhead who works on the same floor as me. We wait for our buses in the same location and I struck up a conversation. I'm a little proud of myself for that, normally I'm so shy that I can't even do that unless there is alcohol involved.

I can't tell if she's interested or just being nice and that's the worst. She was smiling at me the whole time, but when her bus showed up she was off like a shot, even though it stays there for a few minutes. I think I should put that down to it being a Friday.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

There's a new form of Lyme disease in NJ to kill us all. Hunterdon County of course.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...-tick-disease/

Old
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Pop music is too loud and all sounds the same

Quote:
Comforting news for anyone over the age of 35, scientists have worked out that modern pop music really is louder and does all sound the same. Researchers in Spain used a huge archive known as the Million Song Dataset, which breaks down audio and lyrical content into data that can be crunched, to study pop songs from 1955 to 2010.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86P0R820120726

I didnt need a study to tell me this...

Old
01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

in brooklyn last and stepped on a curb that was covered in snow and slipped and landed hard on the sidewalk. I felt my shoulder over extend, hard to describe it but my shoulder is hurting today. I'm thinking of just not doing anything today.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Pop music is too loud and all sounds the same

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86P0R820120726

I didnt need a study to tell me this...
Ha! This is great.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
VaxjoDevil

So, I just got a text that I will be assisting on a hockey practice for the first time. A U16 travel team, I will just put out cones and **** like that but the coach told me to come to the coach's room 30 minutes before so he can explain the drills. I will learn a lot.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
So, I just got a text that I will be assisting on a hockey practice for the first time. A U16 travel team, I will just put out cones and **** like that but the coach told me to come to the coach's room 30 minutes before so he can explain the drills. I will learn a lot.
Coaching is a lot of fun. You never stop learning.

Closed Thread