HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The One Kadri Discussion Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
The One Kadri Discussion Thread.

Yes I know it is only 4 games into the season, and Kadri's production could fall off of a cliff.. Bud I wanted to know what you guys are expecting of him this year, and for years to come. I'm making this thread because his upside is very unclear to me. I want to know your opinions on how you think he compares to current and past prospects at a similar age so far, and what you think this kid can do in the show this year and for year to come.

I'm aware there are similar threads, but I wanted this one to be as current as possible, without half of it just being boneheaded quotes from before this season had began.

Last edited by ULF_55: 01-26-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Dr. Hannibal Lecter

vCash: 50
i think this might be his breakout season. everyone has ***** on kadri up to this point, calling him a bust, hopefully he can prove his critics wrong.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
With the way he's started, I'm expecting a break out season with about 35 points, eventually working his way up to the #1PP unit and 2nd line minutes.

35 points is about 60 points in 82 games. I don't think that unreasonable to ask given how well Kadri can produce offense.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Clark4Ever

vCash: 500
A budding star? Probably not.

An emerging second line centre? Yes.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Lebanese Leaf

My best case scenario is Kadri stepping up to the #1C role, with Bozak sliding down to become one of the best 3Cs in the NHL and the Leafs squeaking into the playoffs. My hope is that Kadri will grow into that role and become the legit #1 C this team has been looking for beside Kessel. The offensive upside is there, and with the progress he's made on defense, I can see him improving enough to fulfill the responsibilities of this role.

I know making playoffs will mean we get a mid-round pick instead of a lottery pick, but IMO if Kadri steps up this gives us a chance to draft a high upside prospect who we can take our time on because our NHL C situation is strong.

Anyways, just my $0.02.

Old
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Yes I know it is only 4 games into the season, and Kadri's production could fall off of a cliff.. Bud I wanted to know what you guys are expecting of him this year, and for years to come. I'm making this thread because his upside is very unclear to me. I want to know your opinions on how you think he compares to current and past prospects at a similar age so far, and what you think this kid can do in the show this year and for year to come.

I'm aware there are similar threads, but I wanted this one to be as current as possible, without half of it just being boneheaded quotes from before this season had began.
He has lots of developement left to take care of,but he's no slouch.

Old
JVReemer

My personal opinion is that he has the opportunity to prove that he is more offensively capable than Grabo this year and leading into next season we see the two getting almost even ice time. I feel as though Kadri's max upside is a 1B centreman, spending a couple season's flirting with 70 points while being okay at draws and decent defensively.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Kingstonian84*

I think 4 games is FAR too soon to deem him a potential star, way too soon actually. I was never this huge Kadri fan, always thought he was just "eh", but he is winning me over and its not just his play on the ice either. Kadri impressed me with his off ice attiude, he wasn't coming off immature in the press but more motivated in winning a roster spot. Kadris play on the ice has been amazing, he's much faster and stronger on the puck, he's playing a defensive/physical game and yet he's still making things happen in the offensive zone too. Now, keep in mind this is only 4 games in, lets see how Kadri can play for the remainder before making labels on his potential.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
I think 4 games is FAR too soon to deem him a potential star, way too soon actually. I was never this huge Kadri fan, always thought he was just "eh", but he is winning me over and its not just his play on the ice either. Kadri impressed me with his off ice attiude, he wasn't coming off immature in the press but more motivated in winning a roster spot. Kadris play on the ice has been amazing, he's much faster and stronger on the puck, he's playing a defensive/physical game and yet he's still making things happen in the offensive zone too. Now, keep in mind this is only 4 games in, lets see how Kadri can play for the remainder before making labels on his potential.
If you took the time to read the OP, you would see neither of these two things were done. If you are just trying to make a point, than I apologize however.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

give it the full season. he's starting off good but it's far too early. this is like calling up a kid for the Jays, he bats 600 for a few games, and everyone starts shouting all star

lets see how he is over a stretch and things average out

Old
01-25-2013, 12:50 PM
htpwn

Quote:

There's your answer right there.

... but I really do hope so. Not just because him becoming a top 6 centre would solve so many issues with this team, rather for the example he would provide going forward. A player that the organization took its time with, developed slowly, tried to shield from the relentless criticism hurled his way. Not every good player makes the NHL by age 20 and the sooner many in this city recognize that, the better.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:50 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

yes.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
He's been playin this way for a good year now. Its not new,and he will be hard for the bashers to sh! t on any more.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
There's your answer right there.

... but I really do hope so. Not just because him becoming a top 6 centre would solve so many issues with this team, rather for the example he would provide going forward. A player that the organization took its time with, developed slowly, tried to shield from the relentless criticism hurled his way. Not every good player makes the NHL by age 20 and the sooner many in this city recognize that, the better.
That wasn't the point of this thread, I'm basically asking what his upside is, and how soon you think he will reach this upside. Please don't comment if all you did was read the title.. It adds nothing to the debate/conversation.

Last edited by JVReemer: 01-25-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to sound hostile.
Old
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
mashedpotato

Remember when he was criticized for being fat and we were packing his bags for Vancouver?

Good times....

Old
01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

He reminds me of a young Dougie Gilmour, he may be considered small, but aggravating, very creative, very heady with puck, and things seem to happen when he is on the ice. I haven't felt since Sundin.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Ari91

Small sample size but he's showing good things and if he's capable of doing those things, then the concern isn't whether he 'can' but whether he can 'consistently'. He still has elements to his game that he needs to improve on but hopefully experience in the NHL will help him in the areas he's lacking.

I want him to succeed and not just because he's a Leaf, but moreso because the kid has got swagger and grit. From the first year he didn't make the team, the kid was a bust and he's improved every year since then. He has a 'I won't let you get the best of me' attitude and I absolutely love it. There aren't enough players around where people say "you'll never amount to anything good/great" and they respond with a "**** you, just watch me". I want Kadri to be one of those players.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
He reminds me of a young Dougie Gilmour, he may be considered small, but aggravating, very creative, very heady with puck, and things seem to happen when he is on the ice. I haven't felt since Sundin.
Gilmour, Sundin and Kadri in the same sentence... hmm...

He has 5 points in 4 games. It's very good, but he lacks the size to be a legitimate #1 C for Kessel.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Bomber0104

A potential 2nd line player

Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Stop it right now.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I see Kadri as a less talented Marc Savard.

Both lacked the size, they both have great playmaking abilities, now Kadri is finally playing center.

I don't think Kadri will be as good offensively as Savard but I think they're comparable in playing style.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

i think his upside is #1 center but in reality he is going to be a 60 point 2nd line player. but im saying he has a chance to become that #1.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
htpwn

Quote:
That wasn't the point of this thread, I'm basically asking what his upside is, and how soon you think he will reach this upside. Please don't comment if all you did was read the title.. It adds nothing to the debate/conversation.
And I answered your question, just perhaps not in the way you would have liked.

I said I view him as a potential top 6 centre. 1B/2A to be specific.

When or if he reaches his upside? That is solely up to him. He's made great strides since being drafted three years ago and seems to be off to a good start to his NHL career. Could be as early as this season or as late as never.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I see Kadri as a less talented Marc Savard.

Both lacked the size, they both have great playmaking abilities, now Kadri is finally playing center.

I don't think Kadri will be as good offensively as Savard but I think they're comparable in playing style.

I actually don't think they are that comparable in playing style. Kadri is a lot more finesse. A lot more of a "dangler" with the puck. The nice little saucer type passes and "cut to the center of the ice" type of guy. Savard was more speedy- St. Louis-esque and had unreal vision. Kadri is has a little bit of a bite to his game.

I see Kadri as more of a Mike Ribeiro type.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Raging Bull

He reminds me of Daniel Briere, a bit more chippy though. I honestly can't think of a great comparison for him, players with his skill set aren't usually as pesty and physical as him, unless they are much bigger.

Closed Thread