HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets @ MTS Centre|Jan.25.2013|8:00PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Patience with youngsters. 2 Games at an entirety.
Low . . . rent . . . coach.

Seriously, I've seen some guys coach other teams reputed to have no patience with young players, and just about everyone of them brings more patience to the table than Bylsma.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

"Demeanor" is an interesting word. Wonder if there is anything going on behind the scenes.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
"Demeanor" is an interesting word. Wonder if there is anything going on behind the scenes.
Because it's so hard to believe that Bylsma ever could **** up the development of a young player?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Oxide

vCash: 175
Also how Bylsma is publicly stating this in no way helps Despres trade value.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I hope he doesn't. If he does, then they'll think it's o'k to use him again in the playoffs.

Guys like that have limits. Guys like Despres, if you let them work the kinks out now, might prove to be worth the faith in April.

I'll be blunt: Name ONE player (not elite but excellent of good caliber prospect) who's handling gives you the slightest amount of faith in how Bylsma will handle Bennett, Morrow, Pouliot, etc.
Yeah I know as a fan it sounds bad to say you hope a player does bad, but I want Lovejoy to **** the bed. He seems like a nice guy, but this organization needs to learn how to be patient and develop prospects at the NHL level. The potential of Despres in the next 5 months through next season far outweighs the importance of Ben Lovejoy. And it's not like Despres has been bad. Engel gets his face smashed in and is playing in this game (despite struggling against TOR) and Despres is sitting in the press box. I wonder what kind of message that sends.

I try to think that the org is doing the tough love thing, but it seems to happen far too often.

Old
KIRK

Just a thought on the reunited Lovejoy-Engo pairing: As we watch that train wreck, maybe we won't notice what a train wreck TK as L2 LW will be. Maybe that's Bylsma's plan.

Old
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

Quote:
Maybe Elmer was caught peeking in the Ice Crew Girls' locker room?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Did Bylsma state anything? I read it as Dejan speculating about Bylsma's demeanor.

I think Lovejoy and even Bortuzzo have got to get into games here and there but I'm a little surprised Lovejoy is the first one in.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Just a thought on the reunited Lovejoy-Engo pairing: As we watch that train wreck, maybe we won't notice what a train wreck TK as L2 LW will be. Maybe that's Bylsma's plan.
They'll probably play well and Despres will get scratched again. That's the bigger potential problem.

Only positive I can take from this is if Despres is moved and another D-man isn't brought back, we need to know what Lovejoy can bring this year.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Then why is Kennedy playing?
Its because I am stupid. Totally forgot about Kennedy.

Old
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bylsma: Lovejoy in, Despres out. On Despres: "We want to see more consistency in play, demeanor." #Pens #NHLJets #TribHKY
So much in that quote.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
More from Molinari...

So it's because of Vokoun & not Fleury.
I'm not fond of this decision-making process.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yeah I know as a fan it sounds bad to say you hope a player does bad, but I want Lovejoy to **** the bed. He seems like a nice guy, but this organization needs to learn how to be patient and develop prospects at the NHL level. The potential of Despres in the next 5 months through next season far outweighs the importance of Ben Lovejoy. And it's not like Despres has been bad. Engel gets his face smashed in and is playing in this game (despite struggling against TOR) and Despres is sitting in the press box. I wonder what kind of message that sends.

I try to think that the org is doing the tough love thing, but it seems to happen far too often.
Tough love?

Please. Englland has sucked these three games. Despres showed a more disciplined two way game against Toronto and is one of the few defensemen who didn't suck.

This is Bylsma using the Eric Tangradi playbook on Despres.

And, if you don't think he'll use it on Bennett, Morrow, Pouliot, etc, then you're nuts.

Guy was a career Craig Adams. He's done nothing to show me that he has the ability to develop young talent. Even the top end talent: Staal regressed defensively. Geno regressed defensively. Sid? Tough to call because he missed so much time. Letang? He was going to get better regardless.

As far as I can tell, the most skilled young player with whom Bylsma has had some success is Niskanen, and that's if you want to call a 5th or 6th year vet 'young'.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Did Bylsma state anything? I read it as Dejan speculating about Bylsma's demeanor.

I think Lovejoy and even Bortuzzo have got to get into games here and there but I'm a little surprised Lovejoy is the first one in.
Why are you surprised? I'm never surprised when vets get playing preference over young guys.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Tough love?

Please. Englland has sucked these three games. Despres showed a more disciplined two way game against Toronto and is one of the few defensemen who didn't suck.

This is Bylsma using the Eric Tangradi playbook on Despres.

And, if you don't think he'll use it on Bennett, Morrow, Pouliot, etc, then you're nuts.

Guy was a career Craig Adams. He's done nothing to show me that he has the ability to develop young talent. Even the top end talent: Staal regressed defensively. Geno regressed defensively. Sid? Tough to call because he missed so much time. Letang? He was going to get better regardless.

As far as I can tell, the most skilled young player with whom Bylsma has had some success is Niskanen, and that's if you want to call a 5th or 6th year vet 'young'.
Hey man I'm just trying to think positively. I don't agree with any of these decisions, I just can't think of any other reason.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Omnomnomnom

Clearly the best way to build up a young player's confidence is to bench him for garbage. Way to go Bylsma.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
They'll probably play well and Despres will get scratched again. That's the bigger potential problem.

Only positive I can take from this is if Despres is moved and another D-man isn't brought back, we need to know what Lovejoy can bring this year.
Yes, it is. The last two seasons should've taught Bylsma where Lovejoy belongs when crunch time comes.

So, here you've got Despres. You'll have the good; you'll have the bad. But, now is the time to see, because it's the type of thing that can pay off in April.

I hope they trade Despres, because, by the time Bylsma gets done with him, he won't be worth **** on the ice or in a trade.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Because it's so hard to believe that Bylsma ever could **** up the development of a young player?
No, but I'm not sure why everyone here assumes they know absolutely everything about what goes into these decisions.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Hey man I'm just trying to think positively. I don't agree with any of these decisions, I just can't think of any other reason.
You mean aside from the one that's been pretty obvious since Dan Bylsma put his exclusive stamp on this team starting with the 2009-2010 season?

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Low . . . rent . . . coach.

Seriously, I've seen some guys coach other teams reputed to have no patience with young players, and just about everyone of them brings more patience to the table than Bylsma.
You know... I wouldn't trade 2009 for anything, but I think Bylsma's goodwill from that season should be used up... there are a lot of little things to question with him.

I know very few of us have "real world" hockey experience, and they know better, but the Despres stuff, to me, is totally indefensible. Partly because, to my eyes, Despres has looked good (good enough to feel comfortable with him getting more minutes). But also, reallyyyyyyyy, because I've seen Ben Lovejoy, and he IS NOT A BETTER PLAYER. If you were replacing Despres with a *BETTER* player, regardless of age, I wouldn't care. But this makes no sense.

And if Bylsma can't reach players, communicate what he wants from them and get it out of them, without benching them, ... that's a problem, too.

Old
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
No, but I'm not sure why everyone here assumes they know absolutely everything about what goes into these decisions.
Isn't that the whole premise of this site? To have discussions, usually based on what they do know and speculate further about it?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
Clearly the best way to build up a young player's confidence is to bench him for garbage. Way to go Bylsma.
Well, in Bylsma's defense, it's worked wonders with Tangradi.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
My issue is the lack of patience. If you are going to act like MT, your career will end like his, too. 3 games in and we are moving people left/right. That's a complete joke.

And what is he watching? Engo had the worst game of the defense. Letang actually got beat to the outside. Despres did not do a thing wrong.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Well, it's the internet, if we don't speculate recklessly, what's the point?

Anyhow, we can only go by what we see on the ice and what Byslma tells reporters. And when we go based on what we know... it's frustrating?

Old
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You know... I wouldn't trade 2009 for anything, but I think Bylsma's goodwill from that season should be used up... there are a lot of little things to question with him.

I know very few of us have "real world" hockey experience, and they know better, but the Despres stuff, to me, is totally indefensible. Partly because, to my eyes, Despres has looked good (good enough to feel comfortable with him getting more minutes). But also, reallyyyyyyyy, because I've seen Ben Lovejoy, and he IS NOT A BETTER PLAYER. If you were replacing Despres with a *BETTER* player, regardless of age, I wouldn't care. But this makes no sense.

And if Bylsma can't reach players, communicate what he wants from them and get it out of them, without benching them, ... that's a problem, too.
With the amount of top-end talent we have in the cupboards right now, I am starting to think we need a new coach. I may be jumping ship a little too fast but DB has completely ruined my Friday night.

Closed Thread