HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Honeymoon over for Kostka?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
  #1
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Honeymoon over for Kostka?

Now let me start of by saying, I loved that we had a local boy come out of no where and make the team, but am I the only one who thinks hes a tad bit over rated and being over used especially in the power play. I grew another beard waiting for him to shoot on the pp. At times it looks like he is being over whelmed by the speed of the NHL game and does not know what to do with the puck.I think as the season wears on and the grind of the NHL games and speed gets to him, I think hell be a reliable 7th or 8th d man or the first call D call up.

Also we have to much D that plays the same way. Franson, Kostka, Liles, Gunnar and Gardener all play soft puck possession offense orientated defense, and none of them are tough hard nosed D-men, that every team has. They offer the same crap, we need some D that makes the simple pass, stay back, and clear our the front of the net. With the way Komo, has played I'm not sure he keeps getting cut. Also, besides the goal Gunnar as has played horrible the past few games and I think a trip up to the box for a few games would do him some good. Franson, just has a shot, thats it. Hes big but is as mobile as a truck with no wheels. He's redundant on our team because we have 5 other D that plays the same way as he does.

I want to try a line up like this for the next game.

Phaneuf Kostka
Komo Gardener
Liles Fraser

Offers a nice balance of offense orientated, puck moving d-men and a nasty bottom pair stay at home D men.


Last edited by masyo88*: 01-25-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Change the bottom pair of d-men
masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
  #2
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
This is crazy


Last edited by leafspring*: 01-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.
leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
  #3
mashedpotato
Registered User
 
mashedpotato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
where did he go for his honeymoon?

mashedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
  #4
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Komi Fraser pairing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:07 PM
  #5
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Fraser/Komi are better on different pairs.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
  #6
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
I love how the preface says that Kostka is being over-used, yet you plunk him right back into the top defensive pairing in your "optimal roster".

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  #7
Fear The Phil
Registered User
 
Fear The Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I love how the preface says that Kostka is being over-used, yet you plunk him right back into the top defensive pairing in your "optimal roster".
I know

Fear The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  #8
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I love how the preface says that Kostka is being over-used, yet you plunk him right back into the top defensive pairing in your "optimal roster".
You missed the point about the power play didn't you?

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
  #9
mt99808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
I'll agree with one thing. Gunnar has sucked big time. Been by far the worst defenseman.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
  #10
Fear The Phil
Registered User
 
Fear The Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
How is my post asinine at all? I basically say a a 27 year old AHL player might be playing over his head and might not be able to keep playing the amounts of minutes he has been given? That's not unheard of, and might be a reality and fact soon. Do you even know the meaning of asinine? If only a quota of holier than thou attitude, egotistical attitude posts stopped in this forum... if only

True, the Fraser and Komo and pair might not be the best but you could move Komo up to the second line and leave Fraser in the bottom pairing.
Whats with this Gunner hate?? seriously..

Fear The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
  #11
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
Naw,

im not sure if you noticed but the entire team laid an egg. Really I would say that Kadri's line was the only line that had any success. Not gonna hang my head and turn bi-polar on this team.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
  #12
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressBoxLegend View Post
Whats with this Gunner hate?? seriously..
I love Gunnar, but hes not playing at the level that he can. He is slacking so far this year.

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
  #13
Fear The Phil
Registered User
 
Fear The Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Naw,

im not sure if you noticed but the entire team laid an egg. Really I would say that Kadri's line was the only line that had any success. Not gonna hang my head and turn bi-polar on this team.
+1 Just gotta give people time. I can't believe people are ragging on Gunner so much

Fear The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
  #14
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressBoxLegend View Post
Whats with this Gunner hate?? seriously..
Personally don't like Gunnar. He is soft and isn't particularly great at one aspect of the game. Looking around the league I don't see where he would be a top 4 with the exception of a few bottom feeders.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
  #15
Fear The Phil
Registered User
 
Fear The Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Personally don't like Gunnar. He is soft and isn't particularly great at one aspect of the game. Looking around the league I don't see where he would be a top 4 with the exception of a few bottom feeders.
That did not stop people from adoring him last year and calling him our most dependable dman.. The fact of the matter is we need some puck moving abilities on the back end - pair him with a stay-at-home dman are you are fine.

Fear The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
  #16
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressBoxLegend View Post
That did not stop people from adoring him last year and calling him our most dependable dman.. The fact of the matter is we need some puck moving abilities on the back end - pair him with a stay-at-home dman are you are fine.
Dependable as in defensive?

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
  #17
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,844
vCash: 500
ahh me .......such is life in LeafLand

Gardener? Leafs fan? Really?

pay attention

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  #18
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
I don't mind him as much on the first pairing, Dion has the capability to make anyone beside him look better. Kostka needs to get off the PP unit, though.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
  #19
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,756
vCash: 500
People are just ragging on Kostka because he's had stonehands on the PP(he's got lots of company in that regard). At least he's got himself into a position to get these scoring chances which perhaps some of the more skilled scorers should take note of. Defensively he's been far from the worst out there. Franson,Gardiner and Gunnarson have definitely been worse so far. RC should just cutback his PP time.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
  #20
G51 K81*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
I don't mind him as much on the first pairing, Dion has the capability to make anyone beside him look better. Kostka needs to get off the PP unit, though.
This.

Gardiner or Liles would be better. Preferably both.

Kostka has been fine 5 on 5 though.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
  #21
gordonshumway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
I love Gunnar, but hes not playing at the level that he can. He is slacking so far this year.
He's got 3 points (1g2a) in 4 games and is +4... what else do people want?!?

gordonshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
  #22
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
Now let me start of by saying, I loved that we had a local boy come out of no where and make the team, but am I the only one who thinks hes a tad bit over rated and being over used especially in the power play. I grew another beard waiting for him to shoot on the pp. At times it looks like he is being over whelmed by the speed of the NHL game and does not know what to do with the puck.I think as the season wears on and the grind of the NHL games and speed gets to him, I think hell be a reliable 7th or 8th d man or the first call D call up.

Also we have to much D that plays the same way. Franson, Kostka, Liles, Gunnar and Gardener all play soft puck possession offense orientated defense, and none of them are tough hard nosed D-men, that every team has. They offer the same crap, we need some D that makes the simple pass, stay back, and clear our the front of the net. With the way Komo, has played I'm not sure he keeps getting cut. Also, besides the goal Gunnar as has played horrible the past few games and I think a trip up to the box for a few games would do him some good. Franson, just has a shot, thats it. Hes big but is as mobile as a truck with no wheels. He's redundant on our team because we have 5 other D that plays the same way as he does.

I want to try a line up like this for the next game.

Phaneuf Kostka
Komo Gardener
Liles Fraser

Offers a nice balance of offense orientated, puck moving d-men and a nasty bottom pair stay at home D men.
You are correct Gunnarson's 3 points in 4 games with a +4 has definitely earned him a trip to the pressbox. Mark Fraser has been considerably better than him all year.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
  #23
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,755
vCash: 500
Kostka has not been the worst D man on the team this year.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  #24
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Fraser/Gunner doesn't matter as long as they play good to me.Gardiner being moved to the Marlies was a good idea. He looked out of sorts.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
  #25
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Kostka has not been the worst D man on the team this year.
I find it frustrating that Kostka is getting so much ice time, especially on the power play. It's almost as if Carlyle was singlehandedly trying to turn him into a rags to riches story. And for no apparent reason either. I'd probably like him more if he didn't seem to be playing 1:50 on every PP opportunity.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.