Danes in the NHL and their exploits.

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Justinov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Indeed, the yotes board is full of fans wanting Nielsen to Phoenix.. He would be stud there... But yeah they are schooled well in defensive aspect of the game, im fine with that... Just seems that Montreal are forgetting it.

Would be nice, pissed me the hell off at the last WC, he just never passed the damn puck in time...
I think I'm partly to blame for that telling them constantly about the Nielsen-Bødker chemistry in Lukko.....they certainly had ears for listening!
I had this idea about a Tippet line of Bødker-Nielsen-Hansen - the indestructable third defensive line with offensive upside! That would be amazingly tough to beat and awesome speed for Nielsen to feed (Korpikoski would be a good substitute for Hansen on that idea).

Old
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Bank

The damaged goods part is certainly a concern. Especially when you consider he's been traded at a young age before.

All you can hope is that some team see's as a matter of a rebuilding Montreal looking for some energy and perhaps temper while other teams in more of a win-now-mode don't mind a more calm character who just do their job well.

A 3C-role will be what to aim for IMO. If Eller could try a be "new" Handzus that would great.

Calgary just needs players that knows who to play hockey and might be able to the next 10 years

Old
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
The damaged goods part is certainly a concern. Especially when you consider he's been traded at a young age before.

All you can hope is that some team see's as a matter of a rebuilding Montreal looking for some energy and perhaps temper while other teams in more of a win-now-mode don't mind a more calm character who just do their job well.

A 3C-role will be what to aim for IMO. If Eller could try a be "new" Handzus that would great.

Calgary just needs players that knows who to play hockey and might be able to the next 10 years
Maybe he is too quiet and tempered for a more hotheaded french-canadian Montreal point of view
I totally agree that a 3C or maybe a lucky 2C could be an option in some of the defensive minded teams.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:24 AM
pucky

How popular is hockey in Denmark these days? Has it gained in popularity at all since this many players reached the NHL? Did the country revamp their hockey development system or has it just stayed the same and it's just coincidence that so many got to the NHL?

Sweden and Finland are usually consistent with the hockey talent, wouldn't you say but maybe Denmark is getting more interested in hockey or no?

What's going on in Norway, btw? A population closer to either Finland or Sweden but I can't think of too many Norwegian players in the NHL.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
How popular is hockey in Denmark these days? Has it gained in popularity at all since this many players reached the NHL? Did the country revamp their hockey development system or has it just stayed the same and it's just coincidence that so many got to the NHL?

Sweden and Finland are usually consistent with the hockey talent, wouldn't you say but maybe Denmark is getting more interested in hockey or no?

What's going on in Norway, btw? A population closer to either Finland or Sweden but I can't think of too many Norwegian players in the NHL.
Lets say that after Denmark got players in the NHL danish newspapers discovered that NHL excisted. News about hockey gets mentioned but it's only national team at WC that ever gets front pages.
Denmark does not have a lot of rinks (think it's around 21 at the moment?) so it means that we cant really have more players. What you can do is make sure that the few players you have get excellent practice. Denmark will probably continue producing a few good players all the time - so far we have had 1 drafted player in average the last 10 years. So players in the NHL is no coincidence, but a result of great hockey coaches and passionate hockey families.
The financial crises makes it extremely unlikely that many more rinks will be build, so we are probably fixed at this level (9-14 - Norway, Germany, Latvia, Denmark, Belarus, France) for the foreseeable future. (I rank Slovakia and Switzerland as 7-8).

A danish qualification to the olympics and maybe getting the WC in 2017 will bring more press. A succes there it might spark some investors....if the economics look better in some years.

Norway have none in NHL, but three in KHL (Thoresen, Zuccarello and Haugen). Norway have the same rink problem as Denmark..but with their wintersport culture they could more easily get to Sweden and Finlands level if more of the population caught the hockey bug.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Justinov

Tonight was a new low. 3 danish teams in action...they scored together 11 goals and no danish point. At least defence was solid.....Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin was +0 and Jannik Hansen +1 tonight.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
I think I'm partly to blame for that telling them constantly about the Nielsen-Bødker chemistry in Lukko.....they certainly had ears for listening!
I had this idea about a Tippet line of Bødker-Nielsen-Hansen - the indestructable third defensive line with offensive upside! That would be amazingly tough to beat and awesome speed for Nielsen to feed (Korpikoski would be a good substitute for Hansen on that idea).
Haha well they had to have gotten the idea from somewhere

Would be awesome, but just a dream..

Quote:

Well, looks like Eller is playing tomorrow against the Devils, im not quite sure but looked like he is getting top 2 respnsebilities and PP. Indications from practice.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Bank

Well the wheel of doghouse fortune has turned again and this time it's Philip Larsen, that's a healthy scratch. It's simply a mind blowing decision from coach Gulutzan. He's known for liking his vets but this is really weird. In the games I have seen Robidas and Goligoski - and in one case Jordie Benn - has been the problem.

The weird thing is that the one thing Philip Larsen needs to work is his tendency to take stupid penalties. But that's not the reason he's out... he's with Gulutzans' own words: "The odd man out". As piqued wrote on the Stars board that's might to be taken literally - the oddest man to scratch

Well Dallas wouldn't deal him as the GM thinks highly of him. He and coach is simply just not on the same page. But it would be kinda nice to get Philip in a place where 1) The coach appreciate him 2) Where the GM and the coach is in the same place.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Bank

Aaaaand we have a winner! The first NHL-goal by a dane

Boedker with his first season goal...

Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Well the wheel of doghouse fortune has turned again and this time it's Philip Larsen, that's a healthy scratch. It's simply a mind blowing decision from coach Gulutzan. He's known for liking his vets but this is really weird. In the games I have seen Robidas and Goligoski - and in one case Jordie Benn - has been the problem.

The weird thing is that the one thing Philip Larsen needs to work is his tendency to take stupid penalties. But that's not the reason he's out... he's with Gulutzans' own words: "The odd man out". As piqued wrote on the Stars board that's might to be taken literally - the oddest man to scratch

Well Dallas wouldn't deal him as the GM thinks highly of him. He and coach is simply just not on the same page. But it would be kinda nice to get Philip in a place where 1) The coach appreciate him 2) Where the GM and the coach is in the same place.
Maan, that is just weird.. Gulutzan spoke highly of Larsen before the season, saying he was player to look out for, and that he was the player who had probably improved the most since last season..

Boedker is on fire, he just needs to get more of those shots in, and use his speed more like he did on that breakaway

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 01-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Aaaaand we have a winner! The first NHL-goal by a dane

Boedker with his first season goal...
Damn we had to wait a long time for that, but after a long wait the cheering only gets louder - even if it was an easy rebound goal

Wondering how many of the danish NHL teams that will qualify for playoffs? Hard to say at this early points...

Old
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Justinov

Quote:

Maybe it's because danes are well-mannered that they know they can be send in the doghouse without complaining too much - scratching a vet might end in too much team and press tumult.
Just very weird to scratch players that have match-training from Sm-liiga at this early point of the season compared to other that are not really in shape yet.

Good to know that Eller is back - hope he really gets some succes now to silence the critics.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Bank

Quote:
Wondering how many of the danish NHL teams that will qualify for playoffs? Hard to say at this early points...
I'll give it a shot...

Jannik Hansen/Vancouver: Good chances. Even if Kessler and Booth is out for some time, they should make it in.

Mikkel Boedker/Phoenix: Tough call. Could go either way. Tippett is a great coach and OEL is growing into quite the quality player.

Philip Larsen/Dallas: Some nights I think they could go a long way and other nights their defense just seems like a big black bottomless hole. The new vets are producing(Jagr, Roy, Whitney), the new kids are doing great(Eakin, Smith), they have a top 10 goaltender in Lehtonen with solid depth in Nilstorp and Bachmann. Their D is a project. Larsen and Dillon need a year or two. Oleksiak is close to ready. Nemeth is shaping up nicely. Daley has his nights. But this year might to much to ask that they'll go into the playoff

Frans Nielsen/New York Islanders: Don't see much East Conference hockey but with their injuries on the back end they seem to have and uphill struggle ahead.

Peter Regin/Ottawa: If he last the year... Their back end has also taken some beating. But there seems to be hope that they can repeat last years' trip to the PO.

Lars Eller/Montreal: Rebuilding. Could get lucky. Could get lottery.

I'm gonna go with 3 out of 6

The AHL:

Both Frederik Andersen and Oliver Lauridsen shouldn't get anywhere near a Calder Cup-run.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Bank

Quote:
Maybe it's because danes are well-mannered that they know they can be send in the doghouse without complaining too much - scratching a vet might end in too much team and press tumult.
Just very weird to scratch players that have match-training from Sm-liiga at this early point of the season compared to other that are not really in shape yet.

Good to know that Eller is back - hope he really gets some succes now to silence the critics.
I'm working on a (conspiracy)theory that the Danish - and perhaps Nordic - mind is seen as cold and lacking emotion.

In both cases(Eller and Larsen) the fans isn't seeing the reasoning behind it so it must be some locker room thing.

Who knows. Maybe just a dot in the story of this season when we're done

Old
01-27-2013, 06:10 PM
andersej

Quote:
I'm working on a (conspiracy)theory that the Danish - and perhaps Nordic - mind is seen as cold and lacking emotion.

In both cases(Eller and Larsen) the fans isn't seeing the reasoning behind it so it must be some locker room thing.

Who knows. Maybe just a dot in the story of this season when we're done
I'm not too worried just yet, but it seems to be a coach <-> player thing. So my theory is that it could be down to different coaching cultures from Denmark/Sweden to North America. A little bit like Danish soccer players often struggle when exposed to the coaching style in Germany. Not as much of a conspiracy theory, but a theory nonetheless.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Justinov

Maybe its because in some cultures you shout to get things done (or if people dont understand you just shout louder) When you are being shouted at as a danish it often have the reverse effect as what is intended. It certainly doesn't make you play better I know from experience and it actually can make you lose focus and be even less energetic.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Justinov

My guess for danish NHL teams qualifying for playoffs:
Ill go for 3 out of 6 as well, but I think they are all borderline team.

Ottawa - yes
Vancouver - yes (but not as easily as last two years)
Dalles - yes, barely (Jagr will bring the routine)
Phoenix - no (losing Smith in goal will be costly)
NYI - no
Montreal - no (unless Eller breaks out lol)

Old
01-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Justinov

After tonights games: Both Nielsen and Hansen each got an assist.
Bødker 1G 4A 5 matches +3
Nielsen 0G 3A 5 matches +3
Hansen 0G 3A 5 matches +2
Larsen 0G 0A 4 matches -1
Regin 0G 0A 5 matches +2
Eller 0G 0A 2 matches -1

Eller played first line last match but with no points and -1.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Bank

Philip Larsen is back tonight against Columbus. He's paired up with Goligoski on what looks like a first pairing. Perhaps some PP-time. Perhaps a punishment of Goligoski. I just don't know. Still weird scratches(Reilly Smith)...

But okay we're back on track. 6 guys on NHL teams... Half of them tonight.

Let's get some points on the boards tonight!

Old
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Philip Larsen is back tonight against Columbus. He's paired up with Goligoski on what looks like a first pairing. Perhaps some PP-time. Perhaps a punishment of Goligoski. I just don't know. Still weird scratches(Reilly Smith)...

But okay we're back on track. 6 guys on NHL teams... Half of them tonight.

Let's get some points on the boards tonight!
Actually for Dallas I would think that Goligoski and Philip Larsen would be their perfect d-pair for PP...I hope putting Philip Larsen on first d is not a punishment on Goligoski
But you are right....we want points, we want goals

Old
01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Bank

Quote:
Actually for Dallas I would think that Goligoski and Philip Larsen would be their perfect d-pair for PP...I hope putting Philip Larsen on first d is not a punishment on Goligoski
But you are right....we want points, we want goals
Well some things to consider when looking at Dallas' d-men.

a) Goligoski and Robidas(The first pairing) have not been good. So splitting them means that one is getting "punished"
b) The coaching staff for some reason have huge ***** for Robidas.
c) Mike Heika(Beat writer) put them third in line.

Could go either way

Edit: Brandon Worley of DefendingBigD(Puppet Star-media) has talked to coach Gulutzan and he to seems to be under the impression that Philip Larsen is on the third pairing. Don't know where Jesper Schultz is getting all this first pairing thing.

Last edited by Bank: 01-28-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well some things to consider when looking at Dallas' d-men.

a) Goligoski and Robidas(The first pairing) have not been good. So splitting them means that one is getting "punished"
b) The coaching staff for some reason have huge ***** for Robidas.
c) Mike Heika(Beat writer) put them third in line.

Could go either way

Edit: Brandon Worley of DefendingBigD(Puppet Star-media) has talked to coach Gulutzan and he to seems to be under the impression that Philip Larsen is on the third pairing. Don't know where Jesper Schultz is getting all this first pairing thing.
Anyways Philip Larsen got some PP time and scored for Dallas...though they lost 2-1 to Columbus. No points for Mikkel Bødker and Jannik Hansen last night.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Justinov

Jannik Hansen is making sure they don't forget a danish presence in NA, when he decided? or just fumbled? in pushing a referee and getting away with it?!

Amazing (and pretty stupid), though he seems to avoid suspension.
http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/...-keslord-oh-my

Old
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Jannik Hansen is making sure they don't forget a danish presence in NA, when he decided? or just fumbled? in pushing a referee and getting away with it?!

I am clueless to this!!! Happy, but clueless..

Old
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
PietB
Random User

Quote:

Absolute brainfart by Hansen, unbelievable he didn't at least get a minor... Entertaining though.

Closed Thread