HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

#4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets @ MTS Centre|Jan.25.2013|8:00PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Wow, honestly, I've been a supporter of Bylsma and Shero, but their decision making has to change.

Tyler Kennedy is not a top 6 forward, if he's our best option then Ray Shero failed at his job this offseason.

Dan Bylsma promotes a 3rd liner to the 2nd line, a 3rd liner that I highly doubt will find chemistry with Malkin and Neal. He promotes a 4th line player to the 3rd line, Glass is a fine 4th line player, but I think Jets fans said he struggled with 3rd line minutes, there you go. He sits Simon Despres in favor of Ben Lovejoy and GUESS WHAT!? IF WE LOSE TONIGHT? IT WON'T BE BECAUSE OF BYLSMA'S DUMB DECISIONS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE "WE DIDN'T GET TO OUR GAME"

I don't care what anyone says, this team is not solid and if Ray Shero decides to stand pat at the trade deadline and not aggressively pursue upgrades for the top 6 (so many better options than Tyler Kennedy last summer and next summer) then he can be fired, along with his buddy Dan Bylsma.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You know... I wouldn't trade 2009 for anything, but I think Bylsma's goodwill from that season should be used up... there are a lot of little things to question with him.

I know very few of us have "real world" hockey experience, and they know better, but the Despres stuff, to me, is totally indefensible. Partly because, to my eyes, Despres has looked good (good enough to feel comfortable with him getting more minutes). But also, reallyyyyyyyy, because I've seen Ben Lovejoy, and he IS NOT A BETTER PLAYER. If you were replacing Despres with a *BETTER* player, regardless of age, I wouldn't care. But this makes no sense.

And if Bylsma can't reach players, communicate what he wants from them and get it out of them, without benching them, ... that's a problem, too.
1. I couldn't agree more.

2. Anyone who wants to defend this as 'tough love', answer me this (and then I'll shut up about Bylsma): Name the talented young player (low 20's or younger) who you can look at and say 'Bylsma played a big role in developing that guy' or 'I trust Bylsma to develop this blue chip prospect'. There isn't one, not even a role player.

And, don't ******* give me Joe Vitale. He doesn't count, because his godliness can transcend Bylsma's ******* decision to leave him on a fourth line forever.

EDIT: What you see is what you get with Bylsma . . . a career fourth line curtain jerker who sees more value in Adams and Englland than Vitale and Despres and who, along with his stooges behind the bench, are collectively overmatched when it matters the most. Frankly, if you look at how the coaches did things during the country club years, that's pretty much it, except instead of Mario and Jagr, we've got Sid and Geno.

Old
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

I want the Senators to win tonight as much as I want us to. I live in Ottawa and would LOVE for us to be the ones to burst their bubble.

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't agree with the move but I think people are way overreacting to it.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
My issue is the lack of patience. If you are going to act like MT, your career will end like his, too. 3 games in and we are moving people left/right. That's a complete joke.

And what is he watching? Engo had the worst game of the defense. Letang actually got beat to the outside. Despres did not do a thing wrong.
Yep. I'm just gonna hope Despres is being used in a trade in the near future and they want to see if Lovejoy can suffice as a regular in the bottom pairing for now.

No other reason to bench him.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
+1

erybody RELAX

byslmagic got this

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
You know... I wouldn't trade 2009 for anything, but I think Bylsma's goodwill from that season should be used up... there are a lot of little things to question with him.

I know very few of us have "real world" hockey experience, and they know better, but the Despres stuff, to me, is totally indefensible. Partly because, to my eyes, Despres has looked good (good enough to feel comfortable with him getting more minutes). But also, reallyyyyyyyy, because I've seen Ben Lovejoy, and he IS NOT A BETTER PLAYER. If you were replacing Despres with a *BETTER* player, regardless of age, I wouldn't care. But this makes no sense.

And if Bylsma can't reach players, communicate what he wants from them and get it out of them, without benching them, ... that's a problem, too.
Good post, bud. I can't agree anymore. Hope Phoenix fails and we get Tippett. I guarantee another Cup if that were to happen

Old
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
mpp9

Quote:
DB can be a frustrating coach. He screwed up Tangradi's development. Now he's potentially screwing Despres'. Even though he outplayed his D partner last game and is being replaced by a vanilla #6 in Lovejoy.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
My issue is the lack of patience. If you are going to act like MT, your career will end like his, too. 3 games in and we are moving people left/right. That's a complete joke.

And what is he watching? Engo had the worst game of the defense. Letang actually got beat to the outside. Despres did not do a thing wrong.
No, that's the sad part, Letang was better.

And, don't go dogging Therrien. Staal became a better player under him. I used to laugh when Therrien would talk about 'a plan' for Geno, but he sure as **** had a good one. Sid, not sure. Fleury he blew the pooch. But, he gave Letang a cup of coffee at 18. You kids with some talent got introduced the right way.

There may have been a lot I didn't like about Therrien, but if Dan Bylsma had 10% of what Therrien brought to the table with the young guys, then Tangradi wouldn't be a train wreck and Despres would be playing tonight.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
zhenyas most fly rep

I'm shocked with the decision to scratch Despres (especially for Lovejoy) after his game against Toronto. But this is Bylsma we're talking about so I won't try to rationalize it.
Well, as long as he isn't sent down, it means he won't be in the pressbox for long, right?..uh right?
Anyway, I thought he was pretty well handled so far but that move, I can't see how it will help his development...

Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

We are trying to patch a hole on Geno's line for no reason. And we are taking away the 3rd line who has been STELLAR defensively. And that line has drawn us a few powerplays. It makes zero sense.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Good post, bud. I can't agree anymore. Hope Phoenix fails and we get Tippett. I guarantee another Cup if that were to happen
Please God.

Could you see him with those young players? ****, could you see him with Sid and Geno and Letang?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
We are trying to patch a hole on Geno's line for no reason. And we are taking away the 3rd line who has been STELLAR defensively. And that line has drawn us a few powerplays. It makes zero sense.
While I think third line cohesion is a bad reason not to patch a hole on Geno's line, this specific case of seeing TK as the answer is beyond myopic.

The guy I'd use to fill the hole on the second line is Vitale, and this is NOT part of the running gag.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
DB can be a frustrating coach. He screwed up Tangradi's development. Now he's potentially screwing Despres'. Even though he outplayed his D partner last game is being replaced by a vanilla #6 in Lovejoy.
This is assuming Tangradi was a can't miss prospect. Show me an intelligent person on this board that thought that. I love how prospects are deemed "rushed" if they are given a NHL chance and don't succeed or that teams also take the blame for not giving them a shot despite poor AHL results from a player. Do the team's ever get a break? How quick people forget the longshot chance it is for ANY prospect to make the NHL. Lovejoy has demonstrated to be better than Depres to this point in their careers. That is why he is playing tonight. Lovejoy makes one bad turnover despite being very reliable otherwise and everyone jumps down his throat as if that's all he's ever done.

If this team gets solid goaltending, they have one of the best rosters in all of the NHL.

Last edited by wgknestrick: 01-25-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I honestly hope that comes back to bite them too. Dumb decision. Reunite Kunitz/Malkin/Neal, let them be our go-to scoring line. Give Sid a couple guys he can get up to game speed with, and keep Sutter's line intact.

This all just reeks of stupidity to me.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Bylsma needs to GTFO. He pissed me off with this outrageous move.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm not fond of this decision-making process.
Neither am I. A goaltender that has played on **** teams most of his career has a losing record in Ottawa? Big deal. That says very little of his play against them. Not to mention, that team is totally different than the team he has faced over his career.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
This is assuming Tangradi was a can't miss prospect. Show me an intelligent person on this board that thought that. I love how prospects are deemed "rushed" if they are given a NHL chance and don't succeed or that teams also take the blame for not giving them a shot.

Do the team's ever get a break? How quick people forget the longshot chance it is for ANY prospect to make the NHL.
I didn't forget anything. It's been talked about ad nauseum on this forum. DB did a **** job at developing Tangradi. Is what it is.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
2. Anyone who wants to defend this as 'tough love', answer me this (and then I'll shut up about Bylsma): Name the talented young player (low 20's or younger) who you can look at and say 'Bylsma played a big role in developing that guy' or 'I trust Bylsma to develop this blue chip prospect'. There isn't one, not even a role player.
Niskanen found his game under Bylsma. I know he's in his mid-20's but he had no confidence and was super shaky when he showed up here.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
You know, I think at this point Despres is a metaphor, the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Tangradi . . . we excuse the mishandling because likely isn't that good.

Vitale . . . maybe he's another Talbot and not just a fourth liner.

Despres . . . his turn.

Geno's and Staal's defensive games went to **** after the 'stench' of Therrien wore off this team.

In three years, can you look to one young player with talent on this team and say 'Bylsma was a difference maker'.

No, Despres is a metaphor for a coach who can't coach/develop young talent, who along with his stooges behind the bench have circles coached around them, and who seems still to get a free pass because he's a good guy who was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time almost four years ago.

Remember, he didn't start putting his stamp on this team until the summer of 2009. The record since is pathetic at best.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Here is a couple of things that I don't think a coach should change:

1) Our bottom 6 was lights out. Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy and Glass-Vitale-Adams WORKS. LEAVE IT ALONE. Do not touch it. It works and that's what we need for good depth. We were rolling 4 lines and killing it. We lost due to terrible turnovers by our stars.

2) Tangradi wasn't bad. Not bad enough to deserve a 3 game exit. This needed to be 10 games MINIMUM. What the hell do you think is going to happen when a player barely sees ice and you expect him to be a star with limited time. It's a joke.

3) You have a hole on Sid's line and Geno's line. I think Geno's line is fine if you slot Kunitz in. You need one player for Sid's line and we are LOADED. Go with what ya got until that opens up.

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
DB can be a frustrating coach. He screwed up Tangradi's development. Now he's potentially screwing Despres'. Even though he outplayed his D partner last game and is being replaced by a vanilla #6 in Lovejoy.
I'm just not sold Tangradi was going to be anything regardless of who his coach was. I know he's been buried on the 4th line a lot of the time in his call-ups but I watched Scott Laughton of the Flyers on the 4th line in Philly this year and he at least looks dangerous here and there. Tangradi has rarely flashed any ability.

Benching Despres after 3 games won't ruin his development. I remember Bylsma benching Letang in 2009 but then Shero traded Whitney and Letang was right back in the lineup. Bylsma was also the coach when Goligoski became a full time NHL'er. I don't think it ruined him.

I'm guessing Bylsma feels they need Engelland's toughness in the lineup and Despres is an easy scapegoat for when he wants to get Lovejoy or Bortuzzo into a game once in a while.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
Niskanen found his game under Bylsma. I know he's in his mid-20's but he had no confidence and was super shaky when he showed up here.
Ugh, I specifically mentioned Niskanen. And, yes, he's mid 20's. Great, Nisky's game was saved, Geno's and Staal's defensive games regressed, and no young player from within took even the slightest step forward.

Quote:
Here is a couple of things that I don't think a coach should change:

1) Our bottom 6 was lights out. Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy and Glass-Vitale-Adams WORKS. LEAVE IT ALONE. Do not touch it. It works and that's what we need for good depth. We were rolling 4 lines and killing it. We lost due to terrible turnovers by our stars.

2) Tangradi wasn't bad. Not bad enough to deserve a 3 game exit. This needed to be 10 games MINIMUM. What the hell do you think is going to happen when a player barely sees ice and you expect him to be a star with limited time. It's a joke.

3) You have a hole on Sid's line and Geno's line. I think Geno's line is fine if you slot Kunitz in. You need one player for Sid's line and we are LOADED. Go with what ya got until that opens up.
That works. BUT, Kunitz-Sid-Iginla, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis, and Glass-Vitale-Kennedy would be perfect. The best line in hockey centered by the best player in hockey, followed by the best line in hockey centered by the best player in hockey . . . can't defend that. Then, you've got a true, old school checking line. And, then, a true energy line.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:28 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
Niskanen found his game b/c he wasn't relied up on to carry a D-corps anymore. He was put into a system that suits his style and was able to move up the depth chart with hard work and a **** year from Martin, Michalek and Orpik.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Benching Despres isn't a bad idea guys. I'm assuming, since his play hasn't been bad or costly, the motivation behind it is to light a fire under his ass. There's a number of other possibilities though. Maybe he's being traded. Maybe we're showcasing Lovejoy. Rumors are also swirling that we are interested in trading him to create a roster spot for Eaton.

I wouldn't worry about Despres being benched. We're at game 4 of the season lol. We still have 44 games to go.

Closed Thread