HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks needs (early season edition)

Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Hawks have needed a defenseman at the deadline the last 3 years and Bowman has got one each time (Boynton, Campoli, Oduya). No he hasn't acquired a second line center, but those don't often move during the season.

I think a move like Tallon made in 2009 would be perfect when he got Pahlsson. Thats the kind of player we need.
That might happen...because that's more or less a 3rd/4th line tweener that will come cheap. of course - the Hawks don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. They don't really have picks to give up this year.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
That might happen...because that's more or less a 3rd/4th line tweener that will come cheap. of course - the Hawks don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. They don't really have picks to give up this year.
Last year the Canucks got Pahlsson for a 4th round pick. Hopefully we can find a similar player for a similar price this year.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
KyleJRM

I'm having trouble calling anything a "need" right now. Team looks too good and deep. Maybe a better backup goalie.

Would I like a better starting goalie? Sure. If there's an upgrade that comes available on the trade market, you explore it. But I'm not expecting one. Same thing goes for a veteran center.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Jonathan Quick has been very good in all but 1 of his professional seasons. Corey Crawford has been good in 2 of his 7 professional seasons. You couldn't have picked a worse example to try to make your point
I'm comparing their first 2 full NHL seasons. Are you really going to point to Quick's 2 AHL seasons where he never started more than 20 games?

Old
01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
sketch22

vCash: 50
I doubt the Hawks actually make a move for a goalie. I can't imagine any scenario where a goalie is:
1- Availible
2- Better than Crawford
3- Is in the Hawks price range for a trade (wouldn't require a core piece in return)
4- Is signed to a deal that works for the Hawks next year or is a UFA/RFA

I don't see Bowman trading for a back up who will only play 15 games all season, because come playoff time Crawford would be the starter and the back up is meaningless in the post season.

sketch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Sarava

Quote:
I'm comparing their first 2 full NHL seasons. Are you really going to point to Quick's 2 AHL seasons where he never started more than 20 games?
I'm pointing to their full professional careers. Crawford is more than a year older than Quick, so his sample size is larger. Jonathan Quick had one somewhat subpar season and has been stellar every year besides that. Crawford's resume isn't in the same area code.

You can try to cut the sample size down to spin this discussion however you like. That doesn't make these guys comparable. And frankly it's unfair to Corey to compare him to someone he could never be as good as.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I'm pointing to their full professional careers. Crawford is more than a year older than Quick, so his sample size is larger. Jonathan Quick had one somewhat subpar season and has been stellar every year besides that. Crawford's resume isn't in the same area code.

You can try to cut the sample size down to spin this discussion however you like. That doesn't make these guys comparable. And frankly it's unfair to Corey to compare him to someone he could never be as good as.
Quick got to the NHL faster, he had a down year in his 2nd NHL season just like Crawford did. Martin Brodeur had a .915 save% as a rookie and a .902 2nd season, Craig Anderson had a brutal 2nd season, Carey Price had a bad 2nd season, Bobrovsky had a bad 2nd season, Raask still had a good season but his save percentage dropped .13% in his 2nd season before a bounce back 3rd year. The best comparison might be Jimmy Howard who saw his first full time action at age 25 and put up a .924 save%, in year 2 he was .908, year 3 .920.

The term sophmore slump is a phrase for a reason.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Would be great to get a 3rd/4th center that can actually win a draw.

Frans Nielsen
Zach Smith
Marcel Goc
Jim Slater
Marty Reasoner

Would give up Pirri + for the first four. Reasoner would only work on the 4th line but then Kruger could get a shot at the 3rd.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Would be great to get a 3rd/4th center that can actually win a draw.

Frans Nielsen
Zach Smith
Marcel Goc
Jim Slater
Marty Reasoner

Would give up Pirri + for the first four. Reasoner would only work on the 4th line but then Kruger could get a shot at the 3rd.
I like that list a lot. I think Slater, Nielson and Smith just signed deals though so I doubt they are available. Panthers should be in the thick of the playoff race so I doubt they move Goc. That leaves Reasnor who I think would be a great, John Madden like addition and wouldn't be too expensive

Old
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Quick got to the NHL faster, he had a down year in his 2nd NHL season just like Crawford did. Martin Brodeur had a .915 save% as a rookie and a .902 2nd season, Craig Anderson had a brutal 2nd season, Carey Price had a bad 2nd season, Bobrovsky had a bad 2nd season, Raask still had a good season but his save percentage dropped .13% in his 2nd season before a bounce back 3rd year. The best comparison might be Jimmy Howard who saw his first full time action at age 25 and put up a .924 save%, in year 2 he was .908, year 3 .920.

The term sophmore slump is a phrase for a reason.
Right, but it doesnt need to be abused and used for every mediocre goalie that comes through town.

Again, comparing how Quick did at 22 to Crawford at 27 is ridiculous. You know that as well as I do. But even still Quick was better. Just admit you're wrong and we'll move on.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Right, but it doesnt need to be abused and used for every mediocre goalie that comes through town.

Again, comparing how Quick did at 22 to Crawford at 27 is ridiculous. You know that as well as I do. But even still Quick was better. Just admit you're wrong and we'll move on.
I was never arguing Corey Crawford = Johnathan Quick. I just picked a good goalie at random to show that lots of goalies struggle in their second full season in the league. I followed that up with a list of a lot more goalies that had similar struggles.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

guys, Crawfords best season is average for the good goalies keep that in mind.

Our needs? Same as last year. Center depth and better goaltending. Emery is just bad

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
I'm having trouble calling anything a "need" right now. Team looks too good and deep. Maybe a better backup goalie.

Would I like a better starting goalie? Sure. If there's an upgrade that comes available on the trade market, you explore it. But I'm not expecting one. Same thing goes for a veteran center.
This. I know everyone wants to ice a super team with no weaknesses, but every team has one, even the best. just gotta let the season play out, we have a real good team on our hands here.

Central PA Hawk Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

every team has holes, but it's still a fact that our team has needs. Need Center depth and better goaltending

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
UKBlackhawk

Just put big money up for Kari Lehtonen. The guy is an absolute monster of a keeper lol.

UKBlackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote