HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yotes at Sharks, Home opener "An Unexpected Season" - 1/24/13 7:30pm pst

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Arrch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowevelski View Post
After the 1st period onslaught and fading out in the 2nd after PHX scored (A softie let in by Nemo.. surprise surprise) I felt this was a signature Sharks loss at home. After the other 2 bad goals PHX scored I felt this was certain. (#2 was borderline goalie interference though, can't totally fault Nemo there.. but 1 and 3 were atrocious)
There are rarely any times where I am going to fault the Goalie on a 5v3 goal and this isn't one of them.

#2 he was interfered with; hardly something you can fault him on.

#3 was soft, but 99/100 times that type of shot doesn't go in. It was a pretty crazy bounce.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Stickmata

Midway through the first period last night I was thinking how much more I like watching this team than last years, and just then Wingels tore in the on the forecheck, beat his man and got the puck and then it hit me. I don't have to watch Torrey Mitchell anymore! That alone was worth watching the game.

Clowe still looks awful and I don't see what about Sheppard makes people get excited, but other than that, the team looks like it's healthy and has jump. But I think last night probably brought everyone back down to earth with regard to Niemi. He is what he is; which is a 2.5GA/.910 at best goalie who's gonna give up a Mister Softee when you least expect it.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

McGinn has 0 points and is -2 in 3 games

where are the threads

Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
There are rarely any times where I am going to fault the Goalie on a 5v3 goal and this isn't one of them.

#3 was soft, but 99/100 times that type of shot doesn't go in. It was a pretty crazy bounce.
#2 didn't go in because of interference. It went in because Niemi was lazy picking up where the puck was. Look at the replay. He lost the puck and was still looking corner when Vermette back handed it. Lazy play that an elite goaltender doesn't make.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post

Wait, are people complaining that Niemi let in a soft goal on a 5 on 3? Come on. That was one of the best PP kills I've seen the sharks have in at least a year. Did they let one in, yeah, but before that Niemi was all over the place. If you want to blame something for that goal, blame the lack of getting the puck cleared, but again, it was a 5 on 3. To let one in on that in that situation is almost a moral victory.

Great game last night, even though I was sure the Sharks were going to lose. Pheonix, from the second period on, dominated, and it wasn't until the final 10 minutes when the Sharks finally started to push back. Marleau is on fire lately, and agreed about Stuart. He's been playing really well. Also really liked Irwin as a suitable relief guy while Burns is out (Anyone know when Demers is coming back?) and Shepard looked improved from the Edmonton game.

I would really like to see some production from that second line though. Havlat's been good, but Clowe and Pavelski have been silent in the early going (In terms of scoring goals) and I would really like to see Pavs get one tomorrow.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Stuart has been really good compared to what I was expecting from Detroit fans. Hopefully he keeps it up. Also, I just can't say enough about Irwin.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
McGinn has 0 points and is -2 in 3 games

where are the threads
Holding back until he scores a hat trick tomorrow against us.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Stuart is proving to be a much needed addition and the D seems to be playing better as a unit.

Niemi is playing well, but I think the team is doing a much better job at expecting his rebounds, getting to them, and productively clearing them away.

Zone entries look much better and there is more creativity to them.

Havlat is such a unique talent to this team. As long as he can stay healthy, the Sharks will be in good shape.

Joe and Marleau have amazing chemistry and I think that is what has led to their hot start. Teams are still trying to get up to speed, but these two are already there.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowevelski View Post
After the 1st period onslaught and fading out in the 2nd after PHX scored (A softie let in by Nemo.. surprise surprise)
Are you seriously calling a goal let in after 1:48 of 5-3 PK (single shift including Murray and Handzus, as well) in the defensive zone a "softie"?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Wait, are people complaining that Niemi let in a soft goal on a 5 on 3?
I think it was the 3rd goal that was the soft one (not the 5 on 3 one). And that would be the first 'soft' goal that he has given up this season.

Nemo has been pretty damn good for us so far. The PK, though it has given up goals, looks a lot more aggressive and better than last years.

01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I think it was the 3rd goal that was the soft one (not the 5 on 3 one). And that would be the first 'soft' goal that he has given up this season.

Nemo has been pretty damn good for us so far. The PK, though it has given up goals, looks a lot more aggressive and better than last years.
Ok. I saw 5-3 and thought, what was Niemi supposed to do in that situation that he didn't do. If there is a goal scored from the opposite team that I would appreciate, it's either a fancy shot where it's unstoppable, or something like last night where the goaltender was standing tall and there was so much pressure that one had to go in eventually.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

I thought the 5-on-3 goal Niemi gave up was pretty soft, but I also don't begrudge him it because he made a couple of stellar saves earlier on the play. I don't blame him for the second goal either, even though he probably wanted it back. It's the third goal that was incredibly weak. Hopefully he got that out of his system.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
SJSharksfan39

Just watched the highlight of the 3rd goal and yeah that was pretty weak. Still, all things considered I thought Niemi played well last night, and has started the season pretty strong.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
#2 didn't go in because of interference. It went in because Niemi was lazy picking up where the puck was. Look at the replay. He lost the puck and was still looking corner when Vermette back handed it. Lazy play that an elite goaltender doesn't make.
He was "lazy" because of the interference and because Braun/Doan/Murray had him completely screened when the shot was taken. I've never claimed him to be an elite goaltender, and he certainly isn't known for his puck tracking ability, but that was more of a "whacky" play, than a softie.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Which is why I said question is how to get most out of him in trade then figuring out where goes in the bottom 6.

Slowe Clowe has to go...to another team...
You honestly think its a good idea to ship out Clowe and rely on Gomez to fill a hole in our top six? When for all we know he isn't even a serviceable bottom six player?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

From Inuboi's post on the main board. Still looks goofy as ever but he doesn't look like someone who will be out the whole year. He's probably taking precautions with the hernia injury.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

You guys have some serious expectations for Gomez. Jesus H. I HOPE he's an average 3rd liner. There is no way in hell I want him anywhere near our top-6 and his presence is not what makes Clowe expendable.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Why would anyone want to mess with our top-6? If it ain't broke...

Old
01-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I thought the 5-on-3 goal Niemi gave up was pretty soft, but I also don't begrudge him it because he made a couple of stellar saves earlier on the play. I don't blame him for the second goal either, even though he probably wanted it back. It's the third goal that was incredibly weak. Hopefully he got that out of his system.
"Nabby goals"

I swear he let in a good 15 of those a season. Niemi better not start that trend.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
You guys have some serious expectations for Gomez. Jesus H. I HOPE he's an average 3rd liner. There is no way in hell I want him anywhere near our top-6 and his presence is not what makes Clowe expendable.
Mostly Agreed, but he is a better option to jump upto the 2nd line when needed, or to have a 2a/2b situation like we have in the past, than anyone else we have. You could have something like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Galiardi - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Gomez - Wingels

Or whatever.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Mostly Agreed, but he is a better option to jump upto the 2nd line when needed, or to have a 2a/2b situation like we have in the past, than anyone else we have. You could have something like:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Galiardi - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Gomez - Wingels

Or whatever.
I honestly wouldn't mind that. It'd give Clowe softer and more offensive minutes. Galiardi could potentially be a good fit on that second line; he has actually looked pretty good so far, really fast and a great forechecker, and made a really nice play on that Couture goal against Edmonton. Gomez and Wingels are fast enough to make up for Clowe's lack of footspeed.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post

From Inuboi's post on the main board. Still looks goofy as ever but he doesn't look like someone who will be out the whole year. He's probably taking precautions with the hernia injury.
I love every single thing about the 'fit.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

It's his knee.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
It's his knee.
Links? Where are you hearing this, or just a gut feeling?

Old
01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
You're welcome.

I know it's been a couple hours, but I just can't ****ing get over how ****ing amazing Joe Thornton is. Just look at the passes he's dishing. Most pointedly, check out the "secondary" assist on the second Marleau goal. He busts his ass back to the defensive zone, strips the puck neatly off the forward, and wings it up to Pavelski all in one fluid, quick motion, like he didn't even have to think about it.

He's amazing. I just want to write paragraphs about his amazingness.
This is what I wanted my post to sound last night after the game. I just couldn't type all that on my phone cuz I was on the can...
Joe Thornton is so frakking good at at dishing!

Closed Thread