HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Anyone know how long Kulda's KHL deal is?

Do we even exclusively hold Kulda's rights as far as the NHL is concerned?
KHL contract details are damn near impossible to find out.

Since the Jets qualified him back last June, the Jets hold his NHL rights until he becomes UFA at age 27. Which is 2015 I believe.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Missed a word. He wouldn't have been subject to recall waivers (under the old CBA, those are now gone). He is subject to regular waivers.
okay
now I get it
thanks

Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
KHL contract details are damn near impossible to find out.

Since the Jets qualified him back last June, the Jets hold his NHL rights until he becomes UFA at age 27. Which is 2015 I believe.
Okay, hopefully we get him back.

I don't see the "Scuderi" type upside there, but he's better than Clitsome. That I have no doubt.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Okay, hopefully we get him back.

I don't see the "Scuderi" type upside there, but he's better than Clitsome. That I have no doubt.
I don't see the Scuderi upside either... He's a very impressive and unique player... BUT, I do think Kulda plays a very similar, but more physical game.

IMO I still put Postma>Kulda>Redmond in pure upside and skill... but Kulda and Redmond would probably fit our (Noel's) system better than Postma.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I don't see the Scuderi upside either... He's a very impressive and unique player... BUT, I do think Kulda plays a very similar, but more physical game.

IMO I still put Postma>Kulda>Redmond in pure upside and skill... but Kulda and Redmond would probably fit our (Noel's) system better than Postma.
Always said it was a style comparison rather than a talent level one. Smart safe positional game with a solid first pass and a solid skater.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Always said it was a style comparison rather than a talent level one. Smart safe positional game with a solid first pass and a solid skater.
Oh ya I knew that with you already. How bout we infiltrate TNSE and make sure they give Kulda a really nice offer this summer!

Old
01-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Gil Fisher

I wonder if Brian Little will be a cap casualty this offseason. With the raises Wheeler and Bogosian are going to command, the brass may want to turn Little into prospects. I like Little, so it'd be unfortunate, but our core is getting expensive. Buff, Ladd, Kane, Enstrom, Wheeler, Bogo, and Jok are all in the $4-6m range next year.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:27 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I wonder if Brian Little will be a cap casualty this offseason. With the raises Wheeler and Bogosian are going to command, the brass may want to turn Little into prospects. I like Little, so it'd be unfortunate, but our core is getting expensive. Buff, Ladd, Kane, Enstrom, Wheeler, Bogo, and Jok are all in the $4-6m range next year.
I've been thinking the same thing. Not sure if Little will be a Jet next year. He's versatile, but not a game changer. Maybe Scheif takes his spot.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Gil Fisher

Just as an idea...not too many changes for next year considered here, but approximate salaries (I see my lines got mixed up a bit.)

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
JETS 2013/14 (ALS)
FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($2.000m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.500m)
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Bryan Little ($3.000m)
James Wright ($0.650m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.594m) / Nik Antropov ($2.500m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.200m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)
Patrice Cormier ($0.701m) / Spencer Machacek ($0.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.000m)
Paul Postma ($0.605m) / Zach Redmond ($0.715m)
Ron Hainsey ($2.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)
Al Montoya ($0.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,188,833; BONUSES: $675,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,786,167

Old
01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. Not sure if Little will be a Jet next year. He's versatile, but not a game changer. Maybe Scheif takes his spot.
I really like him on the wing,I gives him way more freedom when it comes to offence.i think he makes a perfect 2nd or 3rd line winger for a long time who can shuffle to centre when injuries happen if we can get him for 3 mil per which I'm not sure about I think he fits on this team with our lack of right wingers.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Just as an idea...not too many changes for next year considered here, but approximate salaries (I see my lines got mixed up a bit.)

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
JETS 2013/14 (ALS)
FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($2.000m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.500m)
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Bryan Little ($3.000m)
James Wright ($0.650m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.594m) / Nik Antropov ($2.500m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($2.200m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)
Patrice Cormier ($0.701m) / Spencer Machacek ($0.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.000m)
Paul Postma ($0.605m) / Zach Redmond ($0.715m)
Ron Hainsey ($2.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)
Al Montoya ($0.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,188,833; BONUSES: $675,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,786,167
I think you are going to have to give burmi 3 mil or he will be bolting to the khl,I hope we can get wheeler closer to 5 mil long term

Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
I agree Bogo and Wheeler will get big raises but I don't think this will impact Little too much. He currently has a 2.4 M cap hit and would likely get somewhere in the 3.5 - 4 M per year range, so you are only looking at 1.5 M difference. With Hainsey and Antro's contracts expiring you have 8.5 M right there. Jet's are not up against the cap ceiling so there is lots of room yet. I would hate to lose a valuable 2nd line guy like Little. If we are ever to contend we need the type of depth and versatility he provides.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Really wonder if the Jets would have re-signed Wellwood if they could do it again, I realize that at $1.2 or whatever he is cheap, just not sure we need him now, with Mittens, Peluso, Wright, Scheff and even Mach seems to me we have enough now to cover the 12th-13th forward spot.

Unimpressed with Joki so far, sure he wins some faceoffs, is a big body and is usually in position but his skating is just okay and he seems to lack any intensity. The criticism of him in Calgary was that he was a real streaky player.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Really wonder if the Jets would have re-signed Wellwood if they could do it again, I realize that at $1.2 or whatever he is cheap, just not sure we need him now, with Mittens, Peluso, Wright, Scheff and even Mach seems to me we have enough now to cover the 12th-13th forward spot.

Unimpressed with Joki so far, sure he wins some faceoffs, is a big body and is usually in position but his skating is just okay and he seems to lack any intensity. The criticism of him in Calgary was that he was a real streaky player.
*shrug*

Pretty much every non point / game player is streaky.

The fact that the team is scoring and winning while Olli, Little, Antro and the 3rd line haven't hit twine is actually encouraging to me. My hope is that they break out when Ladd and the D enevitably slow down. I don't want to see a drought like last year when everybody slumps together.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
*shrug*

Pretty much every non point / game player is streaky.

The fact that the team is scoring and winning while Olli, Little, Antro and the 3rd line haven't hit twine is actually encouraging to me. My hope is that they break out when Ladd and the D enevitably slow down. I don't want to see a drought like last year when everybody slumps together.
At $4.5 per for two years I think Joki's best hockey is behind him, pretty big cap hit for a streaky 34 year old, the Jets may have been better off going with what they had and signing the 32 year old Antro this spring.

This season we have our top players producing with the secondary guys not scoring, the opposite of early last season. I just hope the secondary guys start to contribute when our top guys draw more checking and closer scrutiny from other teams.

Last edited by sipowicz: 01-26-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
He would of had an easy tap in goal last night if Kane had passed instead of shot in the 3rd period... Vokun was way out and nobody between Olli and the empty net.

The people around him are getting points; he's contributing to that, although for now it isn't resulting in points... they will come.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
At $4.5 per for two years I think Joki's best hockey is behind him, pretty big cap hit for a streaky 34 year old, the Jets may have been better off going with what they had and signing the 32 year old Antro this spring.

This season we have our top players producing with the secondary guys not scoring, the opposite of early last season. I just hope the secondary guys start to contribute when our top guys draw more checking and closer scrutiny from other teams.
I don't think you're going to see much offense from Jokinen in general (other than on the PP), which I think is more a product of Noel's system.

If you watch Jokinen a lot he's typically covering for Buff or picking up a trailer. It's why Bryan Little all of a sudden now looks like a scoring threat after he moved from C to the wing.

I have no doubt Jokinen will get his, but I've really liked his game. He's almost exactly like a better Antropov. Smart positionally and defensively sound while being tough to handle along the boards or behind the net. I have no complaints about that.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
JetsHomer

Its four games in and Joki hasnt played hockey in 8 months and never with his new team. Bit early to judge the signing yet.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

If he doesn't score a single goal his presence still makes this team better than they would be without him.
He's part of the reason Kane and Wheeler are doing so well.
He's part of the reason why we have a real 3rd line that isn't drowning.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Besides.. he's had more scoring chances than a lot of our players who have ridiculously high sh% (ex: Wheeler at 50%)

It will come... thinking otherwise is just stubborn IMO

Old
01-26-2013, 12:46 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Jokinen has wiffed on more than one open net, once he shakes the rust we'll love him. He's playing a defensively responsible game and I think he's a big reason the players have bought what the coach is selling.

He has great chemistry with Kane, which is funny because they're both known for not having good chemistry with others. I think Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler is going to be our #1 line this year. But I also think the other two lines aren't that far behind, and we really need that. Judging by the minutes, the coach thinks so as well.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:

I do not mean to isolate you as the only one who does this, but I think we sometimes are too quick to sentence someone after a tiny sample size.

My biggest example of doing this personally is how harshly I judged Byfuglien last year. I wanted him off this team by Christmas and I would have taken draft picks to get his salary off the books. How stupid would that look now?

The one I remember you being most guilty of is Wheeler. You were heading to the dressing room, pitchfork in hand. Then he turned it around and was our most passionate dynamic forward for most of the last 2/3rds of the year.

Olli is 34, you are right. He also hasn't played a meaningful level of hockey in months. It is going to take him more than 4 games to get up to speed. What I like about him is he is doing little things to try and help the team. He looks a bit tired out there, but he is checking well and he is involved in the play.

Please, try to be a bit patient before you claim the guy is a mistake. Also try and realize this is Olli Jokinen. Don't expect more from him than he has historically given. He is who he is, and he is going to help us win games. What he won't do is carry the team on his back -- no one with the Jets is expecting him to do that.

It's kind of like Antropov. If you REALLY look at what he does, game in, game out: the checking, the stickwork, the strength along the boards, you see what a great value he is to our team as a third liner. If you are expecting him to have Alex Zhamnov type speed and skill, you are going to forever be disappointed in him.

If you don't project your wants onto players, you might discover you like the roles they fill.

01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I do not mean to isolate you as the only one who does this, but I think we sometimes are too quick to sentence someone after a tiny sample size.

My biggest example of doing this personally is how harshly I judged Byfuglien last year. I wanted him off this team by Christmas and I would have taken draft picks to get his salary off the books. How stupid would that look now?

The one I remember you being most guilty of is Wheeler. You were heading to the dressing room, pitchfork in hand. Then he turned it around and was our most passionate dynamic forward for most of the last 2/3rds of the year.

Olli is 34, you are right. He also hasn't played a meaningful level of hockey in months. It is going to take him more than 4 games to get up to speed. What I like about him is he is doing little things to try and help the team. He looks a bit tired out there, but he is checking well and he is involved in the play.

Please, try to be a bit patient before you claim the guy is a mistake. Also try and realize this is Olli Jokinen. Don't expect more from him than he has historically given. He is who he is, and he is going to help us win games. What he won't do is carry the team on his back -- no one with the Jets is expecting him to do that.

It's kind of like Antropov. If you REALLY look at what he does, game in, game out: the checking, the stickwork, the strength along the boards, you see what a great value he is to our team as a third liner. If you are expecting him to have Alex Zhamnov type speed and skill, you are going to forever be disappointed in him.

If you don't project your wants onto players, you might discover you like the roles they fill.
Jokinen will find his legs, I'm sure of it. I don't think that a 15g 40-45pt season is out of the question right now. Will he be a 90pt player in the NHLagain? Probably not. But that doesn't mean he isn't contributing right now other then the goal sheet. He's great scooping up loose pucks. He's solid when he has it and quite often makes the opening pass that starts the play. Unfortunately third assists aren't credited.

As much as I hate this word...Jokinen brings alot of intangibles to the table and I think Jet has it bang on. He has alot to do with the system working so well. The guys is a former all star and has been in the league for a long ass time...his word carries alot of weight. That's probably why they gave him the A. It's not like they hand that **** out to just anybody.

He'll start producing, and after the last year of his contract I'm sure he'll probably resign. I think Olli's going to be a main stay here until he retires.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Wasn't a big fan of Antropov last season but I like what I've seen from him in every game this season, Buffs goal against the Penguins was a direct result of Antro's screen.

On Joki, I'm going on what I have seen from him so far, sure it's early but so far I see a guy 34 skating like a guy 39. I may be bit biased by what I've heard about him from friends in Calgary.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:56 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Wasn't a big fan of Antropov last season but I like what I've seen from him in every game this season, Buffs goal against the Penguins was a direct result of Antro's screen.

On Joki, I'm going on what I have seen from him so far, sure it's early but so far I see a guy 34 skating like a guy 39. I may be bit biased by what I've heard about him from friends in Calgary.
2009-2012 150 pts in 217 games, plus 52 pts on the powerplay. All in 2.5 years with Calgary.

I want the Calgary Joki right now

Old
01-26-2013, 04:59 PM
DWD

Quote:

Ollie just needs more time to adjust to his linemates.
There are lots of centers in the league that would look slow skating on a line with Kane and Wheeler

Closed Thread