HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Being Married to Tyler Myers

Old
01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Crazy Tasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I guess Scott Stevens wasn't ever a number 1 defenseman as he didn't come close to putting up 40pts in over 1/2 the seasons he played. Hell, Brent Seabrook would be a number 1 defenseman on most teams in the league but he's not putting up 40 points a season.
Erik Karlsson
Dustin Byfuglien
Brian Campbell
Zdeno Chara
Alex Pietrangelo
Shea Weber
Alexander Edler
Dan Boyle
Mark Streit
Dennis Wideman
Ryan Suter
Dion Phaneuf
Kevin Bieksa
Keith Yandle
Kevin Shattenkirk
Kimmo Timonen
Kris Letang
Michael Del Zotto
Duncan Keith

19 Defensemen scored 40 or more points last year. By his logic I count maybe 8 #1 dmen in the NHL.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
I guess Scott Stevens wasn't ever a number 1 defenseman as he didn't come close to putting up 40pts in over 1/2 the seasons he played. Hell, Brent Seabrook would be a number 1 defenseman on most teams in the league but he's not putting up 40 points a season.
But Seabrook is not a no. 1 in his current role. Stevens put up 40 quite frequently, IIRC. Not that I agree with that being a defining characteristic.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
I actually agree with your overall point.

However! Stevens played 22 seasons in the NHL. That's a long time.

He strung together an 11 season streak in his prime where he did put up 45, 65, 53, 61, 72, 68, 40, 49, 59, 57, and 78 points!

Not bad for the ultimate stay-at-home defenseman's defenseman!

In that 78 point season (93/94) he was a +53 to boot.

Man, you look at the numbers of great players on great teams and you realize how mediocre this current collection of Sabres is.

It sucks.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If you really want to use the Chara/big body adjustment comparison:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...45/zdeno-chara

Chara came to the league when he was 20, it wasn't until his 5th season (25) that he really had his breakout year and he continually progressed as he filled in and adjusted to his body.

Myers is a better skater than Chara is currently. The issue is he's trying to do everything and he simply isn't ready yet. I'm going to be patient with Myers. Locking him up long term is a great idea. It's overpayment now, but the idea is we want to win cup(s). You do that by locking up your talent. Myers has showing the commitment off ice and work ethic you need. It. just. takes. time.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...278/shea-weber is another example. Not until he was 24 was he able to log big minutes and be a #1.

Jettisoning a 22 year old, 6'8'' player who has done everything the team has asked of him is stupid. Myers is going to be fine. Period. Flipping out because he's strugging a bit is silly. Be patient. This is a transition year not a contending year. We should be a playoff team, but we aren't going to steamroll anyone to the finals. We've got a strong core of 18-23 year old's, led by Myers. Myers, Ennis, Grigerenko, Hodgson, Foligno, Armia, Girgensons. This is our new core. Trading any of them now is stupid.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Let's say Myers went 1g,1a, +3 last night.

Still think someone makes this thread?
The last time he had a multipoint night and a + rating was March 19th, 2011 against Winnipeg (which was an 8 goal game for the Sabres, BTW). The fact that he's not having great games or even taking steps forward anymore is the issue.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

He'll be fine. He has some shifts when he shows that he is a potential star. Alot of pressure is on him.....the whole league is sloppy right now. I have more problems with 3 of our 4 lines not getting 1 goal and Lindy playing his back up vs another teams starter when his starter is hot. Lindy is just so dumb.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Apparently he doesn't think he's playing that poorly either

http://t.co/XYr9HU2A

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
If you really want to use the Chara/big body adjustment comparison:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...45/zdeno-chara

Chara came to the league when he was 20, it wasn't until his 5th season (25) that he really had his breakout year and he continually progressed as he filled in and adjusted to his body.

Myers is a better skater than Chara is currently. The issue is he's trying to do everything and he simply isn't ready yet. I'm going to be patient with Myers. Locking him up long term is a great idea. It's overpayment now, but the idea is we want to win cup(s). You do that by locking up your talent. Myers has showing the commitment off ice and work ethic you need. It. just. takes. time.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...278/shea-weber is another example. Not until he was 24 was he able to log big minutes and be a #1.

Jettisoning a 22 year old, 6'8'' player who has done everything the team has asked of him is stupid. Myers is going to be fine. Period. Flipping out because he's strugging a bit is silly. Be patient. This is a transition year not a contending year. We should be a playoff team, but we aren't going to steamroll anyone to the finals. We've got a strong core of 18-23 year old's, led by Myers. Myers, Ennis, Grigerenko, Hodgson, Foligno, Armia, Girgensons. This is our new core. Trading any of them now is stupid.
You said everything that needs to be said. We are banking on this long term. If it does not pan out then it was a bad move. If it does, then were good. But we have to wait and see and leave it up to the player to do their thing.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Thought this was going to be a thread about the dream I had last night.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Wait, we're all married to Tyler Myers? That's not legal, right?

Also the **** is he not paying my rent? Gonna divorce his ass.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Thought this was going to be a thread about the dream I had last night.

This took a lot longer than I expected.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
But Seabrook is not a no. 1 in his current role. Stevens put up 40 quite frequently, IIRC. Not that I agree with that being a defining characteristic.
Claiming Seabrook isn't a number one would be akin to saying that Malkin isn't a number one center because the Pens have Crosby. Seabrook plays in all situations with his partner Duncan Keith. Its like saying that Suter is only now a number one because he's no longer tethered to Weber.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
what?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Claiming Seabrook isn't a number one would be akin to saying that Malkin isn't a number one center because the Pens have Crosby. Seabrook plays in all situations with his partner Duncan Keith. Its like saying that Suter is only now a number one because he's no longer tethered to Weber.
^this

the label "#1" is about a set of skills, and primarily that skill set is playing against the opponents best forwards in all situations

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:18 PM
tsujimoto74

He's still very young, very big, and very toolsy. I'd be livid to see him get traded in the next year or 2 and then be a late bloomer with some other organization, while the Sabres chug along with a gaggle of mediocre defensemen.
We've seen what he can do in his peaks, and what that is is dominate. Obviously, he's got a lot to work on, but there's no sense in giving up on the kid. It's not like we have anyone else in the pipeline who projects as a top pairing defender.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
He's still very young, very big, and very toolsy. I'd be livid to see him get traded in the next year or 2 and then be a late bloomer with some other organization, while the Sabres chug along with a gaggle of mediocre defensemen.
We've seen what he can do in his peaks, and what that is is dominate. Obviously, he's got a lot to work on, but there's no sense in giving up on the kid. It's not like we have anyone else in the pipeline who projects as a top pairing defender.
Yeah I don't think anyone else is saying give up on the guy, just be more realistic with our expectations.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
McTank

I wonder what his trade value would be right now, I definately think we should wait it out and things will work out but I just wonder what other GMs would value him as.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Apparently he doesn't think he's playing that poorly either

http://t.co/XYr9HU2A
I take issue with exactly nothing he said there.

He's right, it is three games in. He acknowledged that there is some stuff he needs to work on but really, he just hasn't had the time yet. If everyone recalls we were crucifying Sekera and Leo last night too.

(fifagod this is in no way directed at you)

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post

He's right, it is three games in. He acknowledged that there is some stuff he needs to work on but really, he just hasn't had the time yet. If everyone recalls we were crucifying Sekera and Leo last night too.

I take more issue with Hamilton writing like a hack. "One of the biggest disappointments of this season..." Three games...stop with the drama.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I wonder what his trade value would be right now, I definately think we should wait it out and things will work out but I just wonder what other GMs would value him as.
Someone made a value of Tyler Myers thread last month. There were some pretty damn good offers too. Minnesota looks like a team that could be a good trading partner. They've got some nice pieces: Granlund, Dumba, Coyle, Clutterbuck and could use a guy to play along with Suter. Honestly though there's zero chance Myers gets moved, the organization is way too enamored with him.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
5 Minute Major

I don't want to know what happened to the Tyler Myers of his rookie season.

I want to know what happened to the Tyler Myers of the Philadelphia playoff series where he played like a man on a mission in the physical department.

Where is that Tyler?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:55 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post

I agree as well, I honestly didn't even read the article before I posted, just saw the headline on twitter and posted it here. If he's still playing this way after a few more games, then I'll be worried. Hopefully Ruff switches the defensive pairs and plays him with Sekera (as most are advocating) but I'm not holding my breath.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Myers is tied for 17th in cap hits for defense men.He is being paid as a true #1.A true #1 should be scoring 40+ points minimum
And this, this right here is why you at times look so completely out of touch with reality. You say these made up, absolute, and all encompassing statements. And it's not the 1st, or 39th time you've done that. I am sure it won't be the last.

So anything over 40 points = true #1 defenseman. Anything under 40 points is not a true #1.

Because when I think of #1 defenseman I think of nothing other than points

That was too easy, try harder.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:53 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
There is a difference between "getting going"... and recognizing that the organization is trying to turn Myers into something he MAY not be.

That's a huge risk to take. It it one of the fundamental mistakes that leads to future comments like "they rushed him", "they should have let him develop more", etc

Myers should have been allowed to develop into a 7 foot Scot Niedermayer... instead they have been trying to make him Pronger.

This *MAY be an epic mistake.... I started to worry 2 years ago.... my fears have not been alleviated
His size is so tempting, but you might be right here. He seems far more comfortable in his skin when he's not being pushed by everyone to be more physical than he is clearly comfortable being.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Imlach a cup

Aren't we dreaming '16 anyway? Not gonna get concerned until "Myers still sucks '15" happens. He's slipped and I have a tinge of worry but I don't expect much out of this roster anyway and beating Philly is already ahead of where I put them.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote