Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Capital One Cup 4th round

Old
01-24-2013, 04:01 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I'm not defending Hazard's actions, but you can clearly see he connected with the ball. If anything, his shin hit his side slightly and the ball boy pulls a Razzie-winning performance. Hazard didn't even put that much power in the toe poke.

But the red card should stand solely on his actions and principle.

Whoever is acting as if this is a crime against humanity need to get their head checked. I've seen worse between friends and siblings.
given how Footballers are well known for their Razzie-winning performances I don't think they can complain much.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:02 PM
gary69

The ball boy is son of a member of Swansea's board of directors (major Swansea shareholder), who was called in at short notice and then tweeted that timewasting bit before the match.

Not proof of anything (obviously Swansea deny any wrongdoing), but still it at least appears a bit fishy. I don't think Hazard deserves any extra punishment, it's probably best for all parties involded that the case be dropped without any further action.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
LitN, stop referring to the ball boy as a child as if he's a 12-year old to try to make Hazrd look even worse. He's most likely in his mid-to-late teens and just a tad younger than some of Chelsea's young players like McEachran and Piazon.
Ball boy is 17, pushing 18,Hazard is just 22, which changes absolutely nothing, Hazard got correctly sent off for violent conduct. Yes, the ball boy was being a jackass, Hazard a bigger one.

Johnnywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywhite View Post
the ball boy was being a jackass, Hazard a bigger one.
I disagree. I think Swansea should be hit up for some sort of punishment for allowing the son of a board member to do what he did, intentionally.

01-24-2013, 06:53 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I disagree. I think Swansea should be hit up for some sort of punishment for allowing the son of a board member to do what he did, intentionally.
Why, because they knew he was going to do it all along? The kid was an idiot and while under the employ of Swansea he should be held accountable and to whatever extent represents the club, but what sort of punishment did you have in mind? It would set a ridiculous precedent.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:42 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
The ball boy is son of a member of Swansea's board of directors (major Swansea shareholder), who was called in at short notice and then tweeted that timewasting bit before the match.

Not proof of anything (obviously Swansea deny any wrongdoing), but still it at least appears a bit fishy. I don't think Hazard deserves any extra punishment, it's probably best for all parties involved that the case be dropped without any further action.
If Swansea were using the ball boys as a "time-wasting" tactic don't you think they'd have used someone a little more conspicuous than a board member's son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
What does it matter that he's a son of a board member? Ball boys have been "wasting" time for as long as there have been ball boys.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Lost in all this is that the guy never would have fallen on top of the ball if Hazard hadn't ran over and knocked him down.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Lost in all this is that the guy never would have fallen on top of the ball if Hazard hadn't ran over and knocked him down.

Not referring to him as a "child" anymore, eh?

And please, that's just another speculation because of your anti-Chelsea glasses. How do you know he didn't fall down to smother the ball, not because Hazard "knocked him down."

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I stopped calling him a kid so as to be nice, but 16 or 17 is much younger than me so he is a kid. This doesn't have a thing to do with anti-Chelsea when it's a player I otherwise like, so give it a rest. Did you even see it? He bends over to pick up the ball and Hazard bumps into him and puts his hands on his back (and he damn sure wasn't grabbing him to pick him up), causing him to fall down. Sorry, the video clearly shows that, and that isn't anti-Chelsea, that is absolute reality. Maybe you should watch it?

If you think he was kicking the ball boy or the ball, that's really a matter of opinion, but Hazard bumping into him and knocking him to the ground is a fact.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-24-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:38 PM
wej20

Quote:
Not referring to him as a "child" anymore, eh?

And please, that's just another speculation because of your anti-Chelsea glasses. How do you know he didn't fall down to smother the ball, not because Hazard "knocked him down."
Hazrad clearly pushed him when he bent down to pick up the ball, causing him to fall over.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
I'm just glad this wasn't Suarez.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

No, you can call him a kid. But it was still different when you kept referring to him as a "child" as if he was younger than a freshman in high school, which was laughable. No one refers to a kid in his/her mid-to-late teens that you don't even know personally as a "child.

Clearly pushed? You sure about "clearly"? Where exactly was the bump? I don't see why Hazard had to push him down considering he was obviously only after the ball at that time before the kick. So no, it's not a fact that Hazard pushed him down. It's just an opinion. Was that ball boy that weak that he couldn't get off the ball after he fell facing down? He sure did spend a good amount of time smothering the ball after that alleged push. Not to mention that the 17-year old has already been exposed on Twitter as a ball boy who had an intention to interfere in the match and yet you still find some ways to justify whatever he did.

Again, let me ask you this: Why would Hazard need to push him down when he was only after the ball? That ball boy had all the intentions to race him to the ball. So if you want to blame the collision, that was on the ball boy for not giving up the ball to the player who could've easily gotten it without his help.

I'm struggling to find a full video as every one of them was taken down on Youtube.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I'm just glad this wasn't Suarez.

Forget Suarez. Imagine if it was Terry.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:31 PM
RonTugnutt
Kesler is washed up

vCash: 1418
Quote:
Forget Suarez. Imagine if it was Terry.
or Balotelli

RonTugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Well after the fact? He was invited at the end of the game.

Yeah, laugh all you want at the targetting, but just watch the replay above. It clearly shows he hit the ball.
Do you really think he was only trying to get the ball? It was a clear frustration move, not giving a damn if he kicked the kid or not.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
No, you can call him a kid. But it was still different when you kept referring to him as a "child" as if he was younger than a freshman in high school, which was laughable. No one refers to a kid in his/her mid-to-late teens that you don't even know personally as a "child.

Clearly pushed? You sure about "clearly"? Where exactly was the bump? I don't see why Hazard had to push him down considering he was obviously only after the ball at that time before the kick. So no, it's not a fact that Hazard pushed him down. It's just an opinion. Was that ball boy that weak that he couldn't get off the ball after he fell facing down? He sure did spend a good amount of time smothering the ball after that alleged push. Not to mention that the 17-year old has already been exposed on Twitter as a ball boy who had an intention to interfere in the match and yet you still find some ways to justify whatever he did.

Again, let me ask you this: Why would Hazard need to push him down when he was only after the ball? That ball boy had all the intentions to race him to the ball. So if you want to blame the collision, that was on the ball boy for not giving up the ball to the player who could've easily gotten it without his help.

I'm struggling to find a full video as every one of them was taken down on Youtube.
Yeah Hazard clearly pushed him. He should have pushed him away if he just wanted to ball, but he was clearly being an ass by pushing him down towards the ball. If you want to see how easy it is to fall down like that just watch your LA Clippers do it every game.

Kicking at someone on the ground while the ball is not in play is an automatic red regardless of the circumstance leading up to it.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

The Clipper reference was a low blow. They just lost three straight and I wish I hadn't read that.

I need to see the full video again. You want to blame Hazard for pushing him down, then blame the ball boy for initiating the contact in the first place. A ball boy's job is to return the ball to a player. And it looked like he was already hugging the ball before he went down.

I'm not arguing the red card, BTW.

EDIT: Finally saw a video. Hazard must be super strong to drop someone like that without any visible force from his arms. Ball boy must've tripped or just dropped like a sack of potatoes with the clear intention of keeping the ball away from Hazard. We don't know how much force Hazard had as the kid fell, or if there ever was any force. With the way he fell down, it looked like he wanted to fall down so he could continue hiding the ball from him. Believe what you want to believe. I'll do the same.

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 01-25-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old
01-25-2013, 03:51 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Hazrad clearly pushed him when he bent down to pick up the ball, causing him to fall over.
Are you serious? He pushed him? More like the boy jumped on the ball with Hazard having a hand on his shoulder.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:07 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Hazard did not push the ball boy. He was going for the ball and the ball boy was already bent over the ball to pick it up. He saw Hazard come over and just fell on top of it. Hazard had his hands on his shoulders but did not push him. The ball boy falls on top of the ball and clearly smothers it to waste time. Hazard then tries to toe poke the ball under him (and the other angle shows that) and the ball is released. But at the same time his shin makes contact with the ball boy's side and IMO he overreacts.

I don't condone Hazard's actions. He shouldn't have kicked at the ball (not the ball boy) in the first place. But the result does not mean he should get extra sanctions.

Hazard serves his ban for acting unprofessional (calling it an assault is really pushing it btw) and I think Swansea should be fined. If a team can receive a fine for the actions of fans or members of the team that bring the game into disrepute, then that should include the ball boys.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't think Hazard pushed him, but he does initiate contact. I think if that had been all that occurs, then no issue.

But the lunacy is the kick at the ball. That's indefensible. What in the world. Contact or not, that's sheer idiocy.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:40 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Are you serious? He pushed him? More like the boy jumped on the ball with Hazard having a hand on his shoulder.
his hands are clearly on the kid's back and shoulder, did he push the kid hard? No but he did push him. Not sure what we're arguing here anyway, Hazard's clearly more at fault than the kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Hazard did not push the ball boy. He was going for the ball and the ball boy was already bent over the ball to pick it up. He saw Hazard come over and just fell on top of it. Hazard had his hands on his shoulders but did not push him. The ball boy falls on top of the ball and clearly smothers it to waste time. Hazard then tries to toe poke the ball under him (and the other angle shows that) and the ball is released. But at the same time his shin makes contact with the ball boy's side and IMO he overreacts.

I don't condone Hazard's actions. He shouldn't have kicked at the ball (not the ball boy) in the first place. But the result does not mean he should get extra sanctions.

Hazard serves his ban for acting unprofessional (calling it an assault is really pushing it btw) and I think Swansea should be fined. If a team can receive a fine for the actions of fans or members of the team that bring the game into disrepute, then that should include the ball boys.
I definitely agree that Hazard shouldn't get any more than the standard red card ban, it was a stupid thing to do in the heat of the moment but there was no malice there. I don't see why Swansea should be fined, ball boys have been time wasting as long as there have been ball boys (and the Ref adds back any time they waste) and if any one has brought the game into disrepute it's Hazard not some 17 year old kid (though Hazard and Chelsea have handled the incident very well after the game).

Old
01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Evilo

I think the FA should just ban Hazard 10 games for "assault" and being a "dirty human being".
After all, dirty tackles that break people's ankles are fined with 2 match bans (if at all) in the EPL, so a player trying to strip the ball from a "boy" falling on the ball and then trying to keep it under him is apparently much worse.

I mean, we've seen some really dirty tackles over the years in the EPL, and I don't remember many being treated like this incident.

Laughable.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:42 AM
tobo

Long live the interwebz.

EDIT: What's your high score?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...play-here.html

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
les Habs

I wouldn't say he pushed the kid, and he is a kid at 17 (laughable to suggest otherwise), but he gives a good enough kick. Good thing we've got the headtilting experts here to sort all this out for us though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
his hands are clearly on the kid's back and shoulder, did he push the kid hard? No but he did push him. Not sure what we're arguing here anyway, Hazard's clearly more at fault than the kid.
Absolutely. However one should be careful here. I mean this is HF Boards where physically reacting as Hazard has done is rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't think Hazard pushed him, but he does initiate contact. I think if that had been all that occurs, then no issue.

But the lunacy is the kick at the ball. That's indefensible. What in the world. Contact or not, that's sheer idiocy.
Exactly. Guy looks another total moron of a footballer.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote