Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Time to sit or trade Morrow

Old
01-25-2013, 01:48 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Best case scenario is that his injuries finally "catch up to him" and he picks up a couple hints dropped (or someone up in the organization flat out says it) and he retires this offseason.

Will it happen? lolno.

Stick him on the 4th line for now. Agreed with telling him to cut the penalties and the ******** chirping after at the refs.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:14 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
Don't care what he does this offseason as long as Joe isn't stupid enough to offer him a contract extension. If he can sucker some other team I'll laugh. As long as he's not wearing a Stars uniform I don't care. I want him gone sooner but thank god his contract is expiring.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:29 AM
beardedgraf

Wow I was really hoping for Morrow to surprise us and have a decent year. Sure looks bad so far. Sad to see his career winding down like this. I completely forgot that he used to play physical, has he really gotten that much slower?

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Send him to the ice flow

Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
English stars fan

By far the worst thing is the amount of time he's getting on the PP.

Way more than Roy, Eriksson, twice as much as Ryder. He'll probably get more than Benn too

GMJN needs to get him traded so that Glen stops playing him so much (same with Robiduh). I'd be happy with a 3rd at this point. A 2nd / B prospect (ideally a defensemen) would leave me ecstatic.

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
By far the worst thing is the amount of time he's getting on the PP.
Yep. Makes no sense what so ever really.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Yep. Makes no sense what so ever really.
Agreed..insane.

BTW just noticed your sig.. I was there in person when the Bugs won the 99 WPHL title.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Agreed..insane.

BTW just noticed your sig.. I was there in person when the Bugs won the 99 WPHL title.

Those were the days...

Old
01-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Agreed..insane.

I was too oddly enough.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:

Those were the days...
Oh definitely...great memories. It was against San Angelo though, and I was a San Angelo fan. They got swept though so I was resigned to them losing the series so I just enjoyed the moment of watching a team celebrate a Cup win.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Oh definitely...great memories. It was against San Angelo though, and I was a San Angelo fan. They got swept though so I was resigned to them losing the series so I just enjoyed the moment of watching a team celebrate a Cup win.
Definitely been there with the Bugs/Laredo 06 series.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I'm all for trading him, but what the hell is his value?
Future consideration for Brian Strait please. Anything to get Tyler Kennedy off the 2nd line

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Definitely been there with the Bugs/Laredo 06 series.
Laredo you say? I was there in Laredo in 05 when the Bucks eliminated San Angelo in OT... Last game they played before folding.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Future consideration for Brian Strait please. Anything to get Tyler Kennedy off the 2nd line
Strait is a New York Islander.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
CreaseWeasel
Rookie User

It's shocking how slow "toMorrow" (that's when he will arrive at the puck) is now, he is the slowest player on ice besides the goalies. I think the girls with the shovels could out maneuver him. It really is time to let him go, but why does no one in the organization see it? I was listening to NHL talk on XM and Pierre McQuire said Morrow is one of the players who will benefit from Jamie Benn signing! What is he going to do, carry him around the ice?!

Robiduh has officially lost another step also, he is always overtaken by opponent when moving puck behind net and around boards, his experience is the only thing keeping him from being a total failure.

Change is Good!!!
That should be the Stars slogan this year, not "I Believe".

CreaseWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreaseWeasel View Post
It's shocking how slow "toMorrow" (that's when he will arrive at the puck) is now, he is the slowest player on ice besides the goalies. I think the girls with the shovels could out maneuver him. It really is time to let him go, but why does no one in the organization see it? I was listening to NHL talk on XM and Pierre McQuire said Morrow is one of the players who will benefit from Jamie Benn signing! What is he going to do, carry him around the ice?!

Robiduh has officially lost another step also, he is always overtaken by opponent when moving puck behind net and around boards, his experience is the only thing keeping him from being a total failure.

Change is Good!!!
That should be the Stars slogan this year, not "I Believe".
I think people can tell Morrow is no good, but they are unable to move him. Scratching him is probably going to be bad in the room because he is the captain. Taking the C away doesn't fit with what the organization owes him for his service.

If he can be a 4th liner and still do what he does that would be great, but there is no solution to this problem outside of wait until July.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Wait, are you proposing Pittsburgh put Morrow on the 2nd line instead? I hope you realize we're all *****ing about him and he's currently on our 3rd line.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:10 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I think people can tell Morrow is no good, but they are unable to move him. Scratching him is probably going to be bad in the room because he is the captain. Taking the C away doesn't fit with what the organization owes him for his service.

If he can be a 4th liner and still do what he does that would be great, but there is no solution to this problem outside of wait until July.
Apparently you don't remember how he got the "C" in the first place.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I'm sorry what the hell does Dallas "owe" Morrow? The paycheck he's cashing that's way more than he's worth? Yes. The continued ice time on the power play? No. The Captaincy? Again no. You've got to earn that title every year you wear it. It's not a legacy piece like a crown the king gets when he takes the throne.

If Dallas wants to send a message to the young guys about how you earn your place start with moving Robidas and cutting Morrow is how you do it. The quality of your play currently matters a hellva lot more than what you did five seasons ago. He doesn't get to rest on the San Jose series half a decade after the fact as though that means the club owes him something. He's their employee, not the other way around. And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what magic leadership he has in the locker room because there hasn't be any evidence of it in his play or the team's during his tenure as captain since then.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Apparently you don't remember how he got the "C" in the first place.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing reading this. It should have been taken from him and given to someone else in the offseason, probably Daley.

Why stop with trading Ribeiro and Ott when trying to change the leadership? A trade wasn't happening, so do he next best thing and change who gets the letter. I mean did Whitney not get an "A" after he signed?

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

While we live in a vaccuum on a ruthless message board, hockey players, coaches, and GMs are people who have relationships with each other. I think the Stars organization lost some of its appeal to players in the last decade, and GMJN has been slowly rebuilding it. The team wasn't in play on the two biggest UFA names in the summer, but some quality UFAs came to Dallas. The Stars told Roy to have surgery, meaning he would be paid during the lockout, that the team was interested in resigning him before he played for Dallas, and that his long term health was more important than missing a few weeks at the beginning of the season. Fistric was traded to his hometown team when he was no longer part of the team's plans. Could the Stars have gotten more than a 3rd? Probably, and I considered Edmonton to be a potential rival for a playoff spot. Modano and Turco have finally been incorporated into the organization as well, something which was overdue.

I think GMJN is trying to improve the attractiveness of the Stars by doing the classy thing in these situations, which would be totally undermined by scratching Morrow, buying him out, taking away the C, etc. If he continues to play poorly, hopefully his role on the ice will continue to shrink and the end of the season will be a natural solution to this issue. Treating Morrow shabbily now is not the way to attract top UFAs and not the way to get our players, like Roy for instance, to want to resign.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Troy McClure

Yeah, if I'm a free agent, I like seeing that Dallas will reward me with cushy ice time no matter how much I suck.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:29 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
While we live in a vaccuum on a ruthless message board, hockey players, coaches, and GMs are people who have relationships with each other. I think the Stars organization lost some of its appeal to players in the last decade, and GMJN has been slowly rebuilding it. The team wasn't in play on the two biggest UFA names in the summer, but some quality UFAs came to Dallas. The Stars told Roy to have surgery, meaning he would be paid during the lockout, that the team was interested in resigning him before he played for Dallas, and that his long term health was more important than missing a few weeks at the beginning of the season. Fistric was traded to his hometown team when he was no longer part of the team's plans. Could the Stars have gotten more than a 3rd? Probably, and I considered Edmonton to be a potential rival for a playoff spot. Modano and Turco have finally been incorporated into the organization as well, something which was overdue.

I think GMJN is trying to improve the attractiveness of the Stars by doing the classy thing in these situations, which would be totally undermined by scratching Morrow, buying him out, taking away the C, etc. If he continues to play poorly, hopefully his role on the ice will continue to shrink and the end of the season will be a natural solution to this issue. Treating Morrow shabbily now is not the way to attract top UFAs and not the way to get our players, like Roy for instance, to want to resign.
i like a lot of what you're saying here, but the bottom line is that the first two items on almost every free agent's list are money and winning. and there's a big gap till number 3.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:48 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

An organization should be more concerned with how it brings up its young players and the atmosphere surrounding them during their ascension than trying to make your team attractive to free agents. Seriously, this is the absolute backward attitude. You build a winner and then add in a key free agent or two to really get you on your way to contending for a Cup; think Brett Hull to Dallas back in the day. Trying to cater to free agents while you're still on the outside of the playoff picture for four years is a joke of a way to run a franchise.

eartotheground hit the nail on the head, free agents care about money and winning. If anything, a team mired in playofflessness for years who has the balls to change captains and/or trade veteran players whose best days are behind them should instill confidence in a free agent that the front office knows what the hell they're doing, provided those decisions lead to more winning of course.

Roy's not an idiot, he sees who is getting less PP time because of Morrow's existence on this team.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:22 PM
captainmike

morrow is the stars' michael young. and gully is ron washington.

captainmike is offline   Reply With Quote