HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

#4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets @ MTS Centre|Jan.25.2013|8:00PM EST

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
  #151
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I'm just not sold Tangradi was going to be anything regardless of who his coach was. I know he's been buried on the 4th line a lot of the time in his call-ups but I watched Scott Laughton of the Flyers on the 4th line in Philly this year and he at least looks dangerous here and there. Tangradi has rarely flashed any ability.

Benching Despres after 3 games won't ruin his development. I remember Bylsma benching Letang in 2009 but then Shero traded Whitney and Letang was right back in the lineup. Bylsma was also the coach when Goligoski became a full time NHL'er. I don't think it ruined him.

I'm guessing Bylsma feels they need Engelland's toughness in the lineup and Despres is an easy scapegoat for when he wants to get Lovejoy or Bortuzzo into a game once in a while.
The problem is, as many have pointed out, Tangradi can't even get consistent 4th-line minutes. I don't have the numbers with special teams filtered out, so I know that this isn't perfect, but Glass-Vitale-Adams (all at least 11:30 per game) are all getting at least 3-minutes more per game than Tangradi, as a 2nd-liner. When Tangradi was on the 4th-line last year, he'd get, what, 5-minutes a game?

Put the guy in a position to succeed, give him a chance to fail. I don't care how mentally tough he is, very few people are going to perform at max level when they know they're going to get yanked after their first bad game.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  #152
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks
 
Cardboard Orpik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
I thought Malkin's defensive game really improved last year. Staal's regressed but that's because he embraced his offensive ability, which wasn't a bad decision considering how often he was our 1st or 2nd line center the past two years.

Cardboard Orpik is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
  #153
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,853
vCash: 50
Despres not playing is ridiculous.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  #154
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
And I can tell you.. it sucks sitting on the bench and only getting one shift here/there to prove yourself. It absolutely sucks. If you are on a regular shift for 10 games, then we know. It's not asking too much. Also how is he supposed to gain chemistry w/ his linemates while playing 7-8 minutes.

But yeah.. smart decision, DB. You want him to be a top 6 winger but only if he shows it w/ 5 minutes of ice time. Come on now. You are setting him up for failure. I'm not saying he'll succeed.... but it's quite obvious he's not going to this way.

ColePens is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  #155
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Ugh, I specifically mentioned Niskanen. And, yes, he's mid 20's. Great, Nisky's game was saved, Geno's and Staal's defensive games regressed, and no young player from within took even the slightest step forward.



That works. BUT, Kunitz-Sid-Iginla, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis, and Glass-Vitale-Kennedy would be perfect. The best line in hockey centered by the best player in hockey, followed by the best line in hockey centered by the best player in hockey . . . can't defend that. Then, you've got a true, old school checking line. And, then, a true energy line.
Interesting. So we picked up Iginla and Kulemin while only subtracting Tangradi and Adams. And I'm assuming a bountiful collection of picks and prospects.

nhindian is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  #156
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,860
vCash: 500
Said it before, this Despres benching reminds me alot of 4 years ago. DB benched Letang and he came back into the lineup as a top 4 guy with Eaton and Whitney was moved.

I don't agree with the decision, but I'm seeing a similar path for Despres as Letang had a few years back.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  #157
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,572
vCash: 500
When Cole is wigging out, you know **** is going down.

Shady Machine is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  #158
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander
 
Frederick Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,310
vCash: 500
Lovejoy is the future...

Frederick Stanley is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  #159
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
And I can tell you.. it sucks sitting on the bench and only getting one shift here/there to prove yourself. It absolutely sucks. If you are on a regular shift for 10 games, then we know. It's not asking too much. Also how is he supposed to gain chemistry w/ his linemates while playing 7-8 minutes.

But yeah.. smart decision, DB. You want him to be a top 6 winger but only if he shows it w/ 5 minutes of ice time. Come on now. You are setting him up for failure. I'm not saying he'll succeed.... but it's quite obvious he's not going to this way.
This exactly what I've been trying to say.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
  #160
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,083
vCash: 500
Whats wrong with it though?

Plenty of guys have come in and took those 5/6 minutes and have done way more, and that's not even being slotted in the top six at all.

Settle down, it's not our fault, or DB's that these guys are not seizing their moment.

Ugene Malkin is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
  #161
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
I'm really hoping every Pen takes a shot at Kane for that stupid haircut.

Wow way to much anger in this thread over a "meh" players.

Tangradi is such a wall flower its insane. He does nothing to keep himself in Pittsburgh... NOTHING. He gets his shot and blows it every time. What do people see in him except size and skating? To be honest I think the system is to fast paced for him but he still goes out on shifts like he's a beer league star. He's so ****ing wishy washy its insane.

Despres played like hot garbage last game. If Martin played like that he would be nailed to the cross. I do think he was thrown to the wolves a little bit but he has to know that playing like that isn't part of Penguins hockey. I'm in Disco's corner in keeping him out of the line up but I'm hoping that behind the scenes he was talked to about why he isn't playing. Use this sitting and his mistakes last game to teach.

I like Disco a lot. I like how he handles the team and himself. That being said I absolutely hate his system and I'm wondering if it Tony G's. Case in point last game, and it happens every game, the defense are stitched at the hip and are always in the same corner, behind the net and on the same side of the ice. It cost the Pens 2 goals last game. I've never seen a zone defense such a scambly mess.

Even on offense, there's no set up or poise at all. Its all about go, go, go... shoot, shoot, shoot... We hear about the POP but when have we actually seen it. As soon as the Pens cross the blue line the goalie is like a vortex swallowing pucks.

#66 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
  #162
fragmag
Registered User
 
fragmag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
5 more hours till they drop the puck! Arggh, I'm ready now!

Going to be interesting seeing TK with Geno and Neal. Wonder how they will produce.

fragmag is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
  #163
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm really hoping every Pen takes a shot at Kane for that stupid haircut.

Wow way to much anger in this thread over a "meh" players.

Tangradi is such a wall flower its insane. He does nothing to keep himself in Pittsburgh... NOTHING. He gets his shot and blows it every time. What do people see in him except size and skating? To be honest I think the system is to fast paced for him but he still goes out on shifts like he's a beer league star. He's so ****ing wishy washy its insane.

Despres played like hot garbage last game. If Martin played like that he would be nailed to the cross. I do think he was thrown to the wolves a little bit but he has to know that playing like that isn't part of Penguins hockey. I'm in Disco's corner in keeping him out of the line up but I'm hoping that behind the scenes he was talked to about why he isn't playing. Use this sitting and his mistakes last game to teach.

I like Disco a lot. I like how he handles the team and himself. That being said I absolutely hate his system and I'm wondering if it Tony G's. Case in point last game, and it happens every game, the defense are stitched at the hip and are always in the same corner, behind the net and on the same side of the ice. It cost the Pens 2 goals last game. I've never seen a zone defense such a scambly mess.

Even on offense, there's no set up or poise at all. Its all about go, go, go... shoot, shoot, shoot... We hear about the POP but when have we actually seen it. As soon as the Pens cross the blue line the goalie is like a vortex swallowing pucks.
Despres played well last game. What were you watching.

Tangradi didn't seize a spot next to Geno after a handful of shifts/game. Head scratcher huh.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  #164
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I hope he doesn't. If he does, then they'll think it's o'k to use him again in the playoffs.

Guys like that have limits. Guys like Despres, if you let them work the kinks out now, might prove to be worth the faith in April.

I'll be blunt: Name ONE player (not elite but excellent of good caliber prospect) who's handling gives you the slightest amount of faith in how Bylsma will handle Bennett, Morrow, Pouliot, etc.
Sitting a young player for one game isn't the end of the world. Could be as simple as wanting to keep the bench-sitters fresh with a little game action.

To be honest, Despres is the first excellent prospect we've tried to incorporate under Bylsma, so we should give it a little time. The fact that he made the team over tenured guys is a pretty good omen.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  #165
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Despres played well last game. What were you watching.

Tangradi didn't seize a spot next to Geno after a handful of shifts/game. Head scratcher huh.
I was watching him get caught out of position at least 4 times, get beat along the boards and make a crappy pass that got turned around for a goal.

I would agree that making him Letangs partner is putting him over his head but people need to stop with "he's being sat for no reason"

#66 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
  #166
djt153
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
no problem with despres getting some nights off, but that rationale per the dejan tweet seems like it wouldve been more appropriate as the reason why he started the season in the ahl than why he was a healthy scratch. coupled with the fact that i thought he played better against toronto it's hard to like this move. i understand lighting a fire under a guy, but bylsma and shero shouldve done that before the season started.

djt153 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
  #167
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 50
the Flames are scratching Bärtschi tomorrow against Edmonton. it happens. not that we want to use the Flames as our prospect-development yardstick.

Crafton is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
  #168
vodeni
Registered User
 
vodeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
We are trying to patch a hole on Geno's line for no reason. And we are taking away the 3rd line who has been STELLAR defensively. And that line has drawn us a few powerplays. It makes zero sense.
Tha's what drives me nuts, I know the experts will say who cares about third and fourth line, but with one move he will dismantle the only real chemistry shown so far, a very good 3rd line and an excellent 4th line, I don't get it...

vodeni is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
  #169
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I was watching him get caught out of position at least 4 times, get beat along the boards and make a crappy pass that got turned around for a goal.

I would agree that making him Letangs partner is putting him over his head but people need to stop with "he's being sat for no reason"
The whole team got caught out of position. He played his best game yet. Apparently the coaching staff thinks he can get to another level. That's great, but scratching him in favor of Lovejoy is baffling to me.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
  #170
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
the Flames are scratching Bärtschi tomorrow against Edmonton. it happens. not that we want to use the Flames as our prospect-development yardstick.
Thats the thing. Tangradi and Despres aren't in the Baertschi mold. Its not about scoring or making plays with them. They need to stop waxing their eyebrows, go out and play hard ass game. Make contact, be a bully... STAND OUT!!! At least Despress will make a rub out along the boards but Tangradi plays like an old fat stripper.

#66 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
  #171
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks
 
Cardboard Orpik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
I'm fine with them trying new things on the third line. Sutter is new and we had pretty much no time to prepare. We don't know who he's going to have the best chemistry with yet. Cooke and Kennedy obviously work well with him, but there might be a better combo out there. It's the 4th game of the season, I should hope the coaching staff would still be experimenting.

Cardboard Orpik is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
  #172
vodeni
Registered User
 
vodeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
I'm fine with them trying new things on the third line. Sutter is new and we had pretty much no time to prepare. We don't know who he's going to have the best chemistry with yet. Cooke and Kennedy obviously work well with him, but there might be a better combo out there. It's the 4th game of the season, I should hope the coaching staff would still be experimenting.
It's only 48 game season. If you see something good in 3rd and 4th line let them play, let them get even better, it's almost like, this works..OK screw it, let's find what doesn't work...

vodeni is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
  #173
themethod7
Registered User
 
themethod7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lexington KY
Country: United States
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Bärtschi and Despres both scratched?! Clearly a deal is in the works, IN SHERO WE TRUST!!1!

themethod7 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
  #174
gholas
Registered User
 
gholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 50
FYI: If you hear G.S.T chants its because Glass is probably on the ice.

-GST is a tax, goods and services tax.
-Glass Slater Thor
"GST, taxing the opposition"
That should stop some head scratching tonight.

gholas is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
  #175
Boocock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
All will be fine if we win tonight. If Ben Lovejoy ends up a -2 and Tyler Kennedy hits Pavelec's pads ten times, this board will explode...

So much for hoping for more Simon Despres minutes tonight.

Boocock is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.