HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

#4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets @ MTS Centre|Jan.25.2013|8:00PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I'm just not sold Tangradi was going to be anything regardless of who his coach was. I know he's been buried on the 4th line a lot of the time in his call-ups but I watched Scott Laughton of the Flyers on the 4th line in Philly this year and he at least looks dangerous here and there. Tangradi has rarely flashed any ability.

Benching Despres after 3 games won't ruin his development. I remember Bylsma benching Letang in 2009 but then Shero traded Whitney and Letang was right back in the lineup. Bylsma was also the coach when Goligoski became a full time NHL'er. I don't think it ruined him.

I'm guessing Bylsma feels they need Engelland's toughness in the lineup and Despres is an easy scapegoat for when he wants to get Lovejoy or Bortuzzo into a game once in a while.
The problem is, as many have pointed out, Tangradi can't even get consistent 4th-line minutes. I don't have the numbers with special teams filtered out, so I know that this isn't perfect, but Glass-Vitale-Adams (all at least 11:30 per game) are all getting at least 3-minutes more per game than Tangradi, as a 2nd-liner. When Tangradi was on the 4th-line last year, he'd get, what, 5-minutes a game?

Put the guy in a position to succeed, give him a chance to fail. I don't care how mentally tough he is, very few people are going to perform at max level when they know they're going to get yanked after their first bad game.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I thought Malkin's defensive game really improved last year. Staal's regressed but that's because he embraced his offensive ability, which wasn't a bad decision considering how often he was our 1st or 2nd line center the past two years.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Despres not playing is ridiculous.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
And I can tell you.. it sucks sitting on the bench and only getting one shift here/there to prove yourself. It absolutely sucks. If you are on a regular shift for 10 games, then we know. It's not asking too much. Also how is he supposed to gain chemistry w/ his linemates while playing 7-8 minutes.

But yeah.. smart decision, DB. You want him to be a top 6 winger but only if he shows it w/ 5 minutes of ice time. Come on now. You are setting him up for failure. I'm not saying he'll succeed.... but it's quite obvious he's not going to this way.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Ugh, I specifically mentioned Niskanen. And, yes, he's mid 20's. Great, Nisky's game was saved, Geno's and Staal's defensive games regressed, and no young player from within took even the slightest step forward.

That works. BUT, Kunitz-Sid-Iginla, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis, and Glass-Vitale-Kennedy would be perfect. The best line in hockey centered by the best player in hockey, followed by the best line in hockey centered by the best player in hockey . . . can't defend that. Then, you've got a true, old school checking line. And, then, a true energy line.
Interesting. So we picked up Iginla and Kulemin while only subtracting Tangradi and Adams. And I'm assuming a bountiful collection of picks and prospects.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
mpp9

Said it before, this Despres benching reminds me alot of 4 years ago. DB benched Letang and he came back into the lineup as a top 4 guy with Eaton and Whitney was moved.

I don't agree with the decision, but I'm seeing a similar path for Despres as Letang had a few years back.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Shady Machine

When Cole is wigging out, you know **** is going down.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Lovejoy is the future...

Old
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
And I can tell you.. it sucks sitting on the bench and only getting one shift here/there to prove yourself. It absolutely sucks. If you are on a regular shift for 10 games, then we know. It's not asking too much. Also how is he supposed to gain chemistry w/ his linemates while playing 7-8 minutes.

But yeah.. smart decision, DB. You want him to be a top 6 winger but only if he shows it w/ 5 minutes of ice time. Come on now. You are setting him up for failure. I'm not saying he'll succeed.... but it's quite obvious he's not going to this way.
This exactly what I've been trying to say.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Whats wrong with it though?

Plenty of guys have come in and took those 5/6 minutes and have done way more, and that's not even being slotted in the top six at all.

Settle down, it's not our fault, or DB's that these guys are not seizing their moment.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM

I'm really hoping every Pen takes a shot at Kane for that stupid haircut.

Wow way to much anger in this thread over a "meh" players.

Tangradi is such a wall flower its insane. He does nothing to keep himself in Pittsburgh... NOTHING. He gets his shot and blows it every time. What do people see in him except size and skating? To be honest I think the system is to fast paced for him but he still goes out on shifts like he's a beer league star. He's so ****ing wishy washy its insane.

Despres played like hot garbage last game. If Martin played like that he would be nailed to the cross. I do think he was thrown to the wolves a little bit but he has to know that playing like that isn't part of Penguins hockey. I'm in Disco's corner in keeping him out of the line up but I'm hoping that behind the scenes he was talked to about why he isn't playing. Use this sitting and his mistakes last game to teach.

I like Disco a lot. I like how he handles the team and himself. That being said I absolutely hate his system and I'm wondering if it Tony G's. Case in point last game, and it happens every game, the defense are stitched at the hip and are always in the same corner, behind the net and on the same side of the ice. It cost the Pens 2 goals last game. I've never seen a zone defense such a scambly mess.

Even on offense, there's no set up or poise at all. Its all about go, go, go... shoot, shoot, shoot... We hear about the POP but when have we actually seen it. As soon as the Pens cross the blue line the goalie is like a vortex swallowing pucks.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
fragmag

5 more hours till they drop the puck! Arggh, I'm ready now!

Going to be interesting seeing TK with Geno and Neal. Wonder how they will produce.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm really hoping every Pen takes a shot at Kane for that stupid haircut.

Wow way to much anger in this thread over a "meh" players.

Tangradi is such a wall flower its insane. He does nothing to keep himself in Pittsburgh... NOTHING. He gets his shot and blows it every time. What do people see in him except size and skating? To be honest I think the system is to fast paced for him but he still goes out on shifts like he's a beer league star. He's so ****ing wishy washy its insane.

Despres played like hot garbage last game. If Martin played like that he would be nailed to the cross. I do think he was thrown to the wolves a little bit but he has to know that playing like that isn't part of Penguins hockey. I'm in Disco's corner in keeping him out of the line up but I'm hoping that behind the scenes he was talked to about why he isn't playing. Use this sitting and his mistakes last game to teach.

I like Disco a lot. I like how he handles the team and himself. That being said I absolutely hate his system and I'm wondering if it Tony G's. Case in point last game, and it happens every game, the defense are stitched at the hip and are always in the same corner, behind the net and on the same side of the ice. It cost the Pens 2 goals last game. I've never seen a zone defense such a scambly mess.

Even on offense, there's no set up or poise at all. Its all about go, go, go... shoot, shoot, shoot... We hear about the POP but when have we actually seen it. As soon as the Pens cross the blue line the goalie is like a vortex swallowing pucks.
Despres played well last game. What were you watching.

Tangradi didn't seize a spot next to Geno after a handful of shifts/game. Head scratcher huh.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I hope he doesn't. If he does, then they'll think it's o'k to use him again in the playoffs.

Guys like that have limits. Guys like Despres, if you let them work the kinks out now, might prove to be worth the faith in April.

I'll be blunt: Name ONE player (not elite but excellent of good caliber prospect) who's handling gives you the slightest amount of faith in how Bylsma will handle Bennett, Morrow, Pouliot, etc.
Sitting a young player for one game isn't the end of the world. Could be as simple as wanting to keep the bench-sitters fresh with a little game action.

To be honest, Despres is the first excellent prospect we've tried to incorporate under Bylsma, so we should give it a little time. The fact that he made the team over tenured guys is a pretty good omen.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Despres played well last game. What were you watching.

Tangradi didn't seize a spot next to Geno after a handful of shifts/game. Head scratcher huh.
I was watching him get caught out of position at least 4 times, get beat along the boards and make a crappy pass that got turned around for a goal.

I would agree that making him Letangs partner is putting him over his head but people need to stop with "he's being sat for no reason"

Old
01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
djt153

no problem with despres getting some nights off, but that rationale per the dejan tweet seems like it wouldve been more appropriate as the reason why he started the season in the ahl than why he was a healthy scratch. coupled with the fact that i thought he played better against toronto it's hard to like this move. i understand lighting a fire under a guy, but bylsma and shero shouldve done that before the season started.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

the Flames are scratching Bärtschi tomorrow against Edmonton. it happens. not that we want to use the Flames as our prospect-development yardstick.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
We are trying to patch a hole on Geno's line for no reason. And we are taking away the 3rd line who has been STELLAR defensively. And that line has drawn us a few powerplays. It makes zero sense.
Tha's what drives me nuts, I know the experts will say who cares about third and fourth line, but with one move he will dismantle the only real chemistry shown so far, a very good 3rd line and an excellent 4th line, I don't get it...

Old
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I was watching him get caught out of position at least 4 times, get beat along the boards and make a crappy pass that got turned around for a goal.

I would agree that making him Letangs partner is putting him over his head but people need to stop with "he's being sat for no reason"
The whole team got caught out of position. He played his best game yet. Apparently the coaching staff thinks he can get to another level. That's great, but scratching him in favor of Lovejoy is baffling to me.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
the Flames are scratching Bärtschi tomorrow against Edmonton. it happens. not that we want to use the Flames as our prospect-development yardstick.
Thats the thing. Tangradi and Despres aren't in the Baertschi mold. Its not about scoring or making plays with them. They need to stop waxing their eyebrows, go out and play hard ass game. Make contact, be a bully... STAND OUT!!! At least Despress will make a rub out along the boards but Tangradi plays like an old fat stripper.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I'm fine with them trying new things on the third line. Sutter is new and we had pretty much no time to prepare. We don't know who he's going to have the best chemistry with yet. Cooke and Kennedy obviously work well with him, but there might be a better combo out there. It's the 4th game of the season, I should hope the coaching staff would still be experimenting.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
I'm fine with them trying new things on the third line. Sutter is new and we had pretty much no time to prepare. We don't know who he's going to have the best chemistry with yet. Cooke and Kennedy obviously work well with him, but there might be a better combo out there. It's the 4th game of the season, I should hope the coaching staff would still be experimenting.
It's only 48 game season. If you see something good in 3rd and 4th line let them play, let them get even better, it's almost like, this works..OK screw it, let's find what doesn't work...

Old
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
themethod7

Bärtschi and Despres both scratched?! Clearly a deal is in the works, IN SHERO WE TRUST!!1!

Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
gholas

FYI: If you hear G.S.T chants its because Glass is probably on the ice.

-GST is a tax, goods and services tax.
-Glass Slater Thor
"GST, taxing the opposition"
That should stop some head scratching tonight.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Boocock

All will be fine if we win tonight. If Ben Lovejoy ends up a -2 and Tyler Kennedy hits Pavelec's pads ten times, this board will explode...

So much for hoping for more Simon Despres minutes tonight.

Closed Thread