HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers claim Niko Hovinen

Old
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Oilers claim Niko Hovinen

This one's a surprise, per Darren Dreger the Oilers have claimed Niko Hovinen off of waivers. The 6'6" goalie was on termination waivers yesterday so the Flyers could terminate his contract after they were reportedly unhappy with his work habits and attitude in the ECHL.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
This one's a surprise, per Darren Dreger the Oilers have claimed Niko Hovinen off of waivers. The 6'6" goalie was on termination waivers yesterday so the Flyers could terminate his contract after they were reportedly unhappy with his work habits and attitude in the ECHL.
I guess the main question a curious person could ask an Oilers' fans would be "Why?" Is there a need for goaltending depth in the organization? Do the Oiler pro scouts see something others don't?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Reign Nateo

Tambellini...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Cool. <1% chance of him being useful but it's zero-low risk

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I guess the main question a curious person could ask an Oilers' fans would be "Why?" Is there a need for goaltending depth in the organization? Do the Oiler pro scouts see something others don't?
He was just about the best goalie in the Finnish league last season

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I think they probably want Bunz back in the ECHL to get regular starts and need someone to back up Roy in the A. It also probably means that Khabby is out for a while and Danis will be staying in Edmonton.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Snotbubbles

This should tell you everything you need to know about this kid:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1331699

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Yeah, that is kind of weird. Players aren't normally claimed off termination waivers.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I don't think this has much to do with Niko himself. It's probably more to get Bunz playing more, so we send him back to the ECHL.

NHL
Dubnyk
Dannis

AHL
Roy
Hovinen

ECHL
Bunz

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

He *****ed and moaned after he get outplayed in the Phantoms camp and subsequently got sent down to the ECHL.

Struggled there, and got outplayed by other goalies. There have been whispers from a beat writer (Bill Meltzer--best Flyers writer IMO) that the org. has been unhappy with his attitude this season.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I think they probably want Bunz back in the ECHL to get regular starts and need someone to back up Roy in the A. It also probably means that Khabby is out for a while and Danis will be staying in Edmonton.
This was my first thought too.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
He *****ed and moaned after he get outplayed in the Phantoms camp and subsequently got sent down to the ECHL.

Struggled there, and got outplayed by other goalies. There have been whispers from a beat writer (Bill Meltzer--best Flyers writer IMO) that the org. has been unhappy with his attitude this season.
Would be worth something if this wasn't the Flyers and its goaltending graveyard

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Weird one.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Would be worth something if this wasn't the Flyers and its goaltending graveyard
Or maybe it says something about Hovinen that the "goaltending graveyard" cut him loose.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
This should tell you everything you need to know about this kid:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1331699
This is probably the most accurate description of the situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky
It took a while for him to break through as a starter in Finland, so he's had his fill of being pushed to the back of the queue. He came to North America to play in the AHL and then challenge for a spot in the NHL. The ECHL is a low-level league, so anything but a conditioning assignment there is a slap in the face to most Euro goalies. Teams in the ECHL roll only three lines and the systems are below par. Hovinen expected to move up in his career, but he actually moved down as the ECHL is skill wise on level with Mestis (second tier of Finnish hockey) and tactically less sophisticated. What's worse, he wasn't even playing that much.

You have to wonder what the Flyers management thought it was doing. When you sign a Euro goalie, the options are NHL, AHL, or send the goalie back to Europe. Sending a guy to be a backup in the ECHL is just stupid. They treated him like he was a kid fresh out of the juniors. I can't say I'm surprised though. I never understood why Hovinen signed for the Flyers to begin with. It must've been his only NHL offer or his agent doesn't have his finger on the pulse. The Flyers is one of the very last organizations I'd advise my European AHL-level goalie to sign for. Don't get me wrong, the Flyers in itself is a great NHL club, but the way the hockey ops are run, it's ruthless and volatile. When it comes to goalies, there just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason in how goalies are used and developed in the organization.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
jameswrjobe53

Niko Hovinen (EDM)

The Edmonton Oilers have claimed goaltender Niko Hovinen off waivers from the Philadelphia Flyers.

The 6'7" 200 lb goaltender from Helsinki, Finland had been playing this season with Trenton of the ECHL. He has a 3.14 goals-against average and .889 save percentage with a record of 4-6-3.

Last season, the 24-year-old had a record of 21-12-6 with the Lahti Pelicans of the Finnish League with a 2.26 GAA.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:12 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

As per numerous reports from within the Flyers organization, Hovinen has a very bad work ethic and attitude. Relevant thread on the Flyers board

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
I'm thinking its for Stockton and the Flyers let it be known they just wanted rid of him.

They have Dubnyk and Danis in the NHL(with Khabibulin on IR) Roy, and Bunz in the AHL, and really nothing in the ECHL

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Petro Points

Out scouts are into Fin goalies ..

Perhonen, Tuohimaa and now Hovinen..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm thinking its for Stockton and the Flyers let it be known they just wanted rid of him.

They have Dubnyk and Danis in the NHL(with Khabibulin on IR) Roy, and Bunz in the AHL, and really nothing in the ECHL
Oil know better than to send him down to ECHL .. They got him to backup Roy in AHL so Bunz can get his starts in Stockton..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
OilCanada92

Yann Denis is up longer then he thought. Must like it!

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Yeah, that is kind of weird. Players aren't normally claimed off termination waivers.
That's what I was thinking. Can't remember the last time this happened.

Didn't realize how big Hovinen actually is. He may have Dubnyk beat. Has to be an AHL backup role since Danis is up in Edmonton to be backup to Dubnyk with Khabibulin on IR. Oilers must see some potential as well and as an organization with weak goaltending it makes sense.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I think it's the first timie it happened. Usually those players are badly under performing (as it was the case with Hovinen)

However, since Hovinen's contract is up in 5 months, the risk is very low for the Oilers.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
bsmith14

I like it, no risk. Krueger is a professional motivational speaker, I am sure he figures he can get this kids head on right.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote