HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Is Dion Phaneuf done?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
KuleminFan41

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
He's a total stiff defensively, and offensively he refuses to pass instead unleash a constant stream of inaccurate booming high slap shots.

He just hurt Lupul ($5.25 million) for half the season.

The result of Dion's antics cost the Leafs half of Lupul's season ($2.625) which when added to Dion's already ridiculous contract becomes an even more ridiculous $9.125 per year expenditure.

He's not worth being the most costly player in the league. Crosby doesn't even get paid that much.

Trade this guy to Detroit for Ian White.
People complain that no body shoots, then the same people say he shoots too much. Damned if you do damned if you dont

He injured Lupul on a freak accident. Stop trying to blame him

KuleminFan41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
No, I agree, he's not done. But he's far from that defenseman in his first three years in Calgary. And that tag was so engraved on him that he still has people thinking that he is a top defenseman but he simply is not.

No, he's not done. But I don't see him ever being more than a 45 point defenseman with 10 goals a season and some major, major gaffs in his own end.

Anyone who thinks 60 points and 20 goals will happen is out to lunch.

And a 45 point defenseman with some major defensive gaffs is NOT a number one defenseman. Not sure why he still has that label.

But he's still solid I guess ya, far from done.
Pretty much this. To be honest, Phaneuf was always a #2/#3 guy, it's just that we have no one better so he plays as a #1. Still, he is not as useless as people like Bomber are saying he is. One game (and one freak accident) is all he has to back up his argument, that's just weak.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelbackMontage View Post
Both plays were up the middle. Weber is officially a terrible d-man, we have the one youtube clip to prove it. He's just awful. Preds should dump him for scraps.
There is nothing even remotely similar to the way Weber and Phaneuf played here. Nothing.

The easiest thing to do would to just accept the reality that Dion Phaneuf is grossly overpaid, overrated, and just not captain material for our mighty Leafs.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:

The easiest thing to do would to just accept the reality that Dion Phaneuf is grossly overpaid, overrated, and just not captain material for our mighty Leafs.

Maybe thats how children see it.

Rational, respectable men think otherwise.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
People complain that no body shoots, then the same people say he shoots too much. Damned if you do damned if you dont

He injured Lupul on a freak accident. Stop trying to blame him
That shot was high and wide.

And injured our poor star winger Lupul (who I like).

Cost the teams millions in downtime.

Phaneuf is racking up quite a bill here in Toronto (overr 9 million!)

Old
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
Yeah, I went a bit excessive there. Shouldn't have done that, my bad.

Still, I think my point stands. For some reason, you dislike Phaneuf a lot and logically speaking, your reasons don't make much sense.
He antagonizes people for that kind of reaction, no need to apologize over it. Many people have made very valid points and he will blatantly ignore them without giving any form of respect/appreciation and just continue ranting the same old song and dance. This board will look much better the day he crosses someones line and gets perma banned. However, Phaneuf was bad on the Crosby goal and was weak against the islanders but he is not the only one to be blamed, team game people.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Quote:
That shot was high and wide.

And injured our poor star winger Lupul (who I like).

Cost the teams millions in downtime.

Phaneuf is racking up quite a bill here in Toronto (overr 9 million!)
Timonen did it to Hartnell lol...

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Pretty much this. To be honest, Phaneuf was always a #2/#3 guy, it's just that we have no one better so he plays as a #1. Still, he is not as useless as people like Bomber are saying he is. One game (and one freak accident) is all he has to back up his argument, that's just weak.
No I have several games (Pens, Isles, injuring our star player), and I can go back to last year if you want and I don't think you want that.

This is actually me taking it easy on Phaneuf right now...despite what you may think.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Timonen did it to Hartnell lol...
You just said last night you put me on ignore.

What happened?

Timonen is garbage too.

Big reason why the Flyers are doing so poorly.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
The Phil

Quote:
There is nothing even remotely similar to the way Weber and Phaneuf played here. Nothing.
Looks the same. Same result. Phaneuf actually puts more pressure on Crosby, despite Crosby being much better than Burrows.

Weber for scraps, anyone?

The Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
He didn't watch him skate right by.

He was trying to get cute offensively.
That's a great excuse. How about one for Chara allowing NHL superstar Mikail Grabovski to cherry pick behind him on a TOR power play?

And he wasn't trying to get cute offensively, he was the man back, supposed to cover these things. His partner, Norris candidate Suter was pinching, and slightly, I might add.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:

Nothing similar? You mean aside from the fact that both were straight passes up the middle? In fact, Phaneuf was closer to Crosby than Suter and Weber were to Burrows. I'd say that was a worse play by Weber than this one was by Phaneuf. You see what you wish to see and since you hate him, you'll think he's that much worse.

Sure, he's overpaid and overrated, that I don't deny, but you make it sound like he's junk and an AHL caliber defenseman and that's just excessive. Also, it's not as easy to just strip the C away from Phaneuf. You need to use your brain and think, who would replace him? If no one does and we just roll 3 As as we did before, what are the consequences on Phaneuf's play if we suddenly strip him of the C? It's not just as simple as "god he sucks, get rid of him".

Old
01-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
That's a great excuse. How about one for Chara allowing NHL superstar Mikail Grabovski to cherry pick behind him on a TOR power play?
Grabovski got out of the box the precise moment Leafs reclaimed possession.

Lucky strike.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:

Lucky strike.
Yet Grabovski's pass ending up on the skate of a Penguin isn't "lucky". Double standards much?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I don't think Phaneuf is useless, he's valuable no doubt, but this is the thing.

He simply does not have the feet to fill in the shoes of the Leafs greats before him. And you can't blame him, blame management who put up such a ****** team.

Should Phaneuf be captain? Hell no, not even close. This guy doesn't even come close to looking like a guy that tries his hardest every shift and an example for others, he's got a big mouth but so what, "oh he's very vocal" so what. Was Sakic? Was Niedermayer? And even the other great vocal ones, they at least brought it every shift. But if not Phaneuf then who? Nobody! Why? Cause this team had no appropriate bridge from the Sundin era to the whatever it is now era. But what are you suppose to do, go 5 years without a captain? Had to name somebody.

Is Phaneuf a #1 D? No! But we need to put him in that position, if not him then who? You know who? Nobody! No not Gardiner, not Rielly, not Gunnarsson, nobody can fill that 2 way role on the team YET (Gards Rielly probably in the future) like Phaneuf right now. Once again, you're placing a #2/3 D-man in a franchise defenceman type of role and he will fail, BIG TIME!

Now is he horrible? No...is he great? Nope. He's just average to sometimes above average the odd night. Consistent? Hell no. Hustle every shift? Forget that.

He's just Dion Phaneuf...he's like a Cashier who is in the suit of a CEO (no pun intended). Shoes are just too big for him, until Rielly and Gards pan out, or some FA veteran leadership is brought in, will continue to have him continue to just come a little bit lower than what our expectations of a #1 D are.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

Lucky strike.
Look at the timer. It was a TOR PP with 12 secs left.

And the big difference on that play is the Vezina winner in the net.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Sure, he's overpaid and overrated, that I don't deny, but you make it sound like he's junk and an AHL caliber defenseman and that's just excessive..
If you spent more time READING what I write and less time insulting me, you might have noticed I said nothing about Dion being JUNK and AHL caliber.

I said we should trade him.

Because I don't want him re-signed here and continuing to exact his neanderthal influence on the team.

We could get a nice young player by my estimation.

cup67 (great poster) proposed Phaneuf for Couturier.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Look at the timer. It was a TOR PP with 12 secs left.
Count the Leafs on the ice.

5 of them with a goalie.

Not a powerplay

Old
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:

5 of them with a goalie.

Not a powerplay
Isn't that usually how many players are on the ice for a powerplay? 5 skaters and a goalie?

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Interactif

Point is everyone with the exception of Kadri and Frattin had bad games last night, everyone makes bad plays in the NHL, Grabo turned over the puck to Crosby the other night on his breakaway goal, he still had a good game and we won. Dion has been very good this year, too much is being made of this off one game. Time to move on, Rangers on the docket and they present a unique challenge off a slow start.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
I don't think Phaneuf is useless, he's valuable no doubt, but this is the thing.

He simply does not have the feet to fill in the shoes of the Leafs greats before him. And you can't blame him, blame management who put up such a ****** team.

Should Phaneuf be captain? Hell no, not even close. This guy doesn't even come close to looking like a guy that tries his hardest every shift and an example for others, he's got a big mouth but so what, "oh he's very vocal" so what. Was Sakic? Was Niedermayer? And even the other great vocal ones, they at least brought it every shift. But if not Phaneuf then who? Nobody! Why? Cause this team had no appropriate bridge from the Sundin era to the whatever it is now era. But what are you suppose to do, go 5 years without a captain? Had to name somebody.

Is Phaneuf a #1 D? No! But we need to put him in that position, if not him then who? You know who? Nobody! No not Gardiner, not Rielly, not Gunnarsson, nobody can fill that 2 way role on the team YET (Gards Rielly probably in the future) like Phaneuf right now. Once again, you're placing a #2/3 D-man in a franchise defenceman type of role and he will fail, BIG TIME!

Now is he horrible? No...is he great? Nope. He's just average to sometimes above average the odd night. Consistent? Hell no. Hustle every shift? Forget that.

He's just Dion Phaneuf...he's like a Cashier who is in the suit of a CEO (no pun intended). Shoes are just too big for him, until Rielly and Gards pan out, or some FA veteran leadership is brought in, will continue to have him continue to just come a little bit lower than what our expectations of a #1 D are.
Great post.

Finally some rationality (other than me )!!!

Old
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

5 of them with a goalie.

Not a powerplay
I did, 5 leafs.

Count the Bruins. 4.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Isn't that usually how many players are on the ice for a powerplay? 5 skaters and a goalie?
Oh crap, TOR powerplay.

Didnt see that...thought it was for Boston cuz they were in our end. LOL

Old
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
If you spent more time READING what I write and less time insulting me, you might have noticed I said nothing about Dion being JUNK and AHL caliber.

I said we should trade him.

Because I don't want him re-signed here and continuing to exact his neanderthal influence on the team.

We could get a nice young player by my estimation.

cup67 (great poster) proposed Phaneuf for Couturier.
You don't have to say the words "junk" and "AHL caliber" for you to have that impression on the rest of us. You want him gone after one game. Obviously if a trade like that is offered, you consider it. Phaneuf isn't untouchable to me, but you want him gone under any circumstance based on extremely weak reasons. That is why no one here aside from 2 people agree with you.

That being said, as much as it pains for me to agree with anything you agree with, Brewsky makes a point. Phaneuf is a #2/#3 being forced into a #1 position.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Point is everyone with the exception of Kadri and Frattin had bad games last night, everyone makes bad plays in the NHL, Grabo turned over the puck to Crosby the other night on his breakaway goal, he still had a good game and we won. Dion has been very good this year, too much is being made of this off one game. Time to move on, Rangers on the docket and they present a unique challenge off a slow start.
This, it was a **** game all around except for the few you mentioned. It was on back to back nights after 4 games in 6 days. This does not excuse the terrible game yesterday, but basing everyone off of one horrific game is as bad as judging everyone after one tremendous game.

And no, Dion is not done. Yesterday, like nearly everyone else, he had a bad game.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote