HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Should this season go bad I sure hope we don't make wholesale roster changes by bringing in UFAs or what not.

If it does go bad I would expect another rebuild. Keep the guys they want to build around and then draft draft draft.

Making big trades or bringing in UFAs most often is a recipe for disaster.

When GMGM decided to put all his chips on a young D corp and inexperienced goalies that right there should have been a sign that we are really rebuilding.
Thats why the Ribeiro trade irked me a bit. Why trade futures if it does seem we are going young? Why not just give MP the reigns for a whole season and see what he can do.

Not understanding the direction really...if there is one that is.
Come on...you're not serious. It was a calculated risk by GMGM that so far has been a failure. It wasn't some sly rebuild that we all overlooked.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

We have enough pieces to not blow the team up. We can't draft draft draft again, that will waste several more years of Ovechkin's career.

If LA had not picked up Richards/Carter, they still wouldn't have won a Cup. If they blew everything up and got younger guys, they wouldn't win the Cup arguably until years from now.

We've got Forsberg, Wilson, and Kuznetov in the wings. We have these players to build around and add quality talent. Everyone else in my mind, if you are going to get rid of anyone, has to go. We need to subtract guys like Schultz, Ward, Perreault, Chimera, and one of the netminders. We need some quality pieces where I put "INSERT"

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov
Forsberg, Ribeiro, Laich/Wolski
Brouwer, Johansson, INSERT
Wilson, Beagle, Hendricks

Alzner, Carlson
INSERT, Green
Orlov, Kundratek
(INSERT, INSERT)

Neuvirth/Holtby

Old
01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Come on...you're not serious. It was a calculated risk by GMGM that so far has been a failure. It wasn't some sly rebuild that we all overlooked.
No it wasn't. But it was a half hearted "rebuild" / "go for it now" type thing. Clearly he was stuck in between and indecisive so he want with his routine "safe" play by trying to do something modest in between so as not to take too much risk by going all in one way or the other.

That is his MO and one of the reasons why I believe we always come up short under his watch. Lack of direction and vision...too timid to either blow it up or put all his chips on the table.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Capitlols

Would Montreal do Green + Perreault for Subban?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
The idiot owner needs to clean house and find a GM that knows how to build around OV-Nick-Fors-Kuz-MoJo-Carl-Alz-Orlov-Holtby. The rest are "just guys".
Oddly enough, the GM and his staff managed to collect all of the guys you listed, which could theoretically be 5 top 6 forwards, 3 top 4 D, and a 1G. Maybe he's not the guy to finish the job, but that is a pretty good group of players. The rest of the lineup could be "just guys" and that should be enough for a strong contender.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

If you wanna keep Hendricks long term you will need to pair him on the FOURTH line with Beagle and then Wilson when he arrives.

In my mind if they want to improve Perreault and Ward have to be shipped. You don't have to get rid of Green, just find him a suitable partner.

Brouwer can be a decent third liner when Forsberg comes. Whether to keep Wolski or Laich is the question though if Wolski has a nice year and when Forsberg finally jumps ship.

Kundratek is only on the third pair for me because if he improves he can fit nicely with Orlov. If he doesn't then he'll have to be replaced also.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
BobRouse

I think we should make a blockbuster trade. I'm not usually one for proposals but how does this sound:

To Hamilton Mustangs:

Marcus Johansson, MP, Joel Ward, 2nd round pick

To Washington Caps:

Dean Youngblood, Derrick Sutton

Then we make this one:

To Thunderbay Bombers:

John Erskine + 3rd round pick

To Caps:

Carl Raki

Its about as realistic as any other trade I've seen proposed here....

Old
01-25-2013, 01:52 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Would Montreal do Green + Perreault for Subban?
Not according to the poster who was in the War Room with GMGM that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I've heard they want Carlson/Alzner at this point for Subban. I don't know what we could get for him but I would like to. Just don't give up those key guys.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Not according to the poster who was in the War Room with GMGM that day.
Dude what's your ****ing problem?

That's what the rumors were.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
I think we should make a blockbuster trade. I'm not usually one for proposals but how does this sound:

To Hamilton Mustangs:

To Washington Caps:

Then we make this one:

To Thunderbay Bombers:

To Caps:

Carl Raki

Hahahah am I the only one who got this

Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
We have enough pieces to not blow the team up. We can't draft draft draft again, that will waste several more years of Ovechkin's career.

If LA had not picked up Richards/Carter, they still wouldn't have won a Cup. If they blew everything up and got younger guys, they wouldn't win the Cup arguably until years from now.

We've got Forsberg, Wilson, and Kuznetov in the wings. We have these players to build around and add quality talent. Everyone else in my mind, if you are going to get rid of anyone, has to go. We need to subtract guys like Schultz, Ward, Perreault, Chimera, and one of the netminders. We need some quality pieces where I put "INSERT"

Alzner, Carlson
INSERT, Green
Orlov, Kundratek
(INSERT, INSERT)

Neuvirth/Holtby
You forgot to mention that Kings also traded Jack Johnson, which somehow got the rest of their defense to collectively play better as well. Green needs to go.

Kings 2nd line was playoff beast Penner-Richards-Carter. Your 2nd line is Forsberg-Ribeiro-Laich/Wolski. One those lines wins playoff series. The other loses them.

Kings 3rd line center was Jarret Stoll. Your 3C is Marcus Johansson. That's another playoff series won/lost.

Their starting goalie was also a Vezina nominee and a Conn Smythe winner. You have two guys with no experience who suck.

They also had Mitchell and Matt Greene on defense. Orlov-Kundratek would be run over even if Orlov develops as good a mean streak as we can hope.

Unless those inserts are Perry and Shea Weber that team doesn't sniff a cup. Sorry to say that but you're underestimating the rest of the league.

I mean, this is not a bad team perennial playoff team probably, but it's gonna be Caps 2007-2011 all over again (minus the super offense).

Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
You forgot to mention that Kings also traded Jack Johnson, which somehow got the rest of their defense to collectively play better as well. Green needs to go.

Kings 2nd line was playoff beast Penner-Richards-Carter. Your 2nd line is Forsberg-Ribeiro-Laich/Wolski. One those lines wins playoff series. The other loses them.

Kings 3rd line center was Jarret Stoll. Your 3C is Marcus Johansson. That's another playoff series won/lost.

Their starting goalie was also a Vezina nominee and a Conn Smythe winner. You have two guys with no experience who suck.

They also had Mitchell and Matt Greene on defense. Orlov-Kundratek would be run over even if Orlov develops as good a mean streak as we can hope.

Unless those inserts are Perry and Shea Weber that team doesn't sniff a cup. Sorry to say that but you're underestimating the rest of the league.

I mean, this is not a bad team perennial playoff team probably, but it's gonna be Caps 2007-2011 all over again (minus the super offense).
I don't think you can look at it that way but their entire 2nd line is acquired players. We picked up Ribeiro so that is our own doing.

I'm just trying to make the team as best as possible and I do assume them to pick up at least a quality forward. If Forsberg and Kuznetsov are anything as advertised that's better than most first two lines in the NHL.

Anaheim is likely resigning Getzlaf and Perry though. That's what i've heard from all the news reports at least.

The best shot at improving that 2nd line is through a high, high, draft pick or a trade.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
its funny. milbury blasted both schenns for complete lack of hockey sense the other day and jonesy didnt offer any defense of them. id stay clear of both of them
In happier times remember Semin pickpocketing Luke Schenn last year and then scoring on Toronto.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I don't think you can look at it that way but their entire 2nd line is acquired players. We picked up Ribeiro so that is our own doing.

I'm just trying to make the team as best as possible and I do assume them to pick up at least a quality forward. If Forsberg and Kuznetsov are anything as advertised that's better than most first two lines in the NHL.

Anaheim is likely resigning Getzlaf and Perry though. That's what i've heard from all the news reports at least.

The best shot at improving that 2nd line is through a high, high, draft pick or a trade.
I understand, I'm just saying that lineup at best lands us roughly where we were before. To get over the hill we need to weaponize every roster spot as much as we can with the playoffs in mind. Max of maybe 3 (4 counting backup goalie) rookies with 2 of them in either a bottom 6 or a bottom pairing role.

McPhee locks down 1/2 the roster spots and treats the other ones like throw-ins. That's what causes him to lose out to teams that try to get as much playoff oriented quality on the ice as possible. Chimera-McClemment-Brouwer is a much more potent third line than Chimera-Perreault-Brouwer, but that never occurs to him.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I understand, I'm just saying that lineup at best lands us roughly where we were before. To get over the hill we need to weaponize every roster spot as much as we can with the playoffs in mind. Max of maybe 3 (4 counting backup goalie) rookies with 2 of them in either a bottom 6 or a bottom pairing role.

McPhee locks down 1/2 the roster spots and treats the other ones like throw-ins. That's what causes him to lose out to teams that try to get as much playoff oriented quality on the ice as possible. Chimera-McClemment-Brouwer is a much more potent third line than Chimera-Perreault-Brouwer, but that never occurs to him.
You're right but we don't have fire power in the mean time to put Brouwer on the third haha. That's a HUGE problem in my mind

I don't see why they don't just stick Johansson on the third line and put Laich/Wolski on the 1/2 in the mean time until they find someone better.

He's clearly not having any success on the wing and Beagle is still a good Center. Put whoever is the hot hand out of the two on the 1st line since they are our best option for now (Yeah, it's that sad). The current lineup needs to look like this in the mean time:

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wolski/Laich
Brouwer, Ribeiro, Wolski/Laich
Ward, Johansson, Chimera
Perreault/Crabb, Beagle, Hendricks

Our bottom two sucks until we can replace Chimera/Ward in my mind. Crabb scored a goal last night but is he a long term solution?? If you take out those three players you can replace them with Forsberg/Kuznetsov/Wilson in the long run and possibly dish Wolski/Laich for a top quality forward. Still not the greatest since Brouwer/Wolski are weaknesses and Hendricks is a hit or a miss sometimes. Still not sold on Ribeiro either.

We need another electrifying player like a Tarasenko. Forsberg and Kuznetsov should help but they're still awhile way from coming.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
He's clearly not having any success on the wing and Beagle is still a good Center.
I thought he was a useless scrub who was taking Hendricks' playing time at center.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:30 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I thought he was a useless scrub who was taking Hendricks' playing time at center.
Nice avatar. NOT.

Anyways, I admitted I was wrong about that so let it be.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No it wasn't. But it was a half hearted "rebuild" / "go for it now" type thing. Clearly he was stuck in between and indecisive so he want with his routine "safe" play by trying to do something modest in between so as not to take too much risk by going all in one way or the other.

That is his MO and one of the reasons why I believe we always come up short under his watch. Lack of direction and vision...too timid to either blow it up or put all his chips on the table.
McPhee is that arrogant that he believed he could win in the postseason with inexperienced goalies and inexperienced players playing key minutes. After all it's worked in the regular season for him. It built him a franchise that sells out regularly. If you're calling it a half hearted rebuild, then realize that's the system McPhee is going to run from here on out. In theory it should result in a regular playoff team. I'm convinced GMGM sees every season as a roll of the dice. He's going to crap out a lot come April/May, but he's always in the game and praying his team gets hot one postseason.

Not sure how the team is supposed to have a killer instinct/mentality when it's GM doesn't.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

To Hamilton Mustangs:

To Washington Caps:

Then we make this one:

To Thunderbay Bombers:

To Caps:

Carl Raki

Old
01-25-2013, 02:38 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Someone posted Ovechkin trade proposal on trade board.

Galchenyuk + Nathan (some french name that starts with a B) + a 1st for Ovi.

Not going to lie, I would consider it.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Alzner, Carlson
INSERT, Green
Orlov, Kundratek
(INSERT, INSERT)

Neuvirth/Holtby
Really, those are the key positions you feel need to be changed out to make this team a winner? Is Ward holding back the offensive game of 8, 19, 52? Maybe Schultz is from the pressbox or MP85 from the bench?

Sure I'd love to jettison 55, but the other guys aren't the issue at all.

Figure out how to get 8,19, 52 back to form or it's all a waste of time. The top 6 needs something NOW, not some year or 2 down the road when MAYBE Forsberg and Kuz become legit top 6 NHL players.

Old
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Beliveau, as in Jean?

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 01-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old
Bure

Quote:

Are you high? Ovi for 2 prospects and a 1st?

Ted would never approve, ovi brings in fans even if he's terrible.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

Then stab yourself in the face once Ovechkin is lighting it up on a team built to his strengths?

I'd at least milk Pacioretty and Subban in addition to Galchenyuk out of them. If we're trading Ovechkin the return better get us a cup.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Really, those are the key positions you feel need to be changed out to make this team a winner? Is Ward holding back the offensive game of 8, 19, 52? Maybe Schultz is from the pressbox or MP85 from the bench?

Sure I'd love to jettison 55, but the other guys aren't the issue at all.

Figure out how to get 8,19, 52 back to form or it's all a waste of time. The top 6 needs something NOW, not some year or 2 down the road when MAYBE Forsberg and Kuz become legit top 6 NHL players.
Well i'm proving the point you can't stick to just drafting unless it's a really high pick. Kuznetsov and Forsberg will be Top 6 forwards if they live up to expectations. If we got a guy like MacKinnon or Drouin that would significantly grow this team without having to panic. That may or may not happen depending how bad we tank this year.

You need to get some quality talent to take:

1st line RW to push Johanson to 3rd line Center, Beagle to 4th with Hendricks and an addition until Wilson comes
2nd line LW/RW to push Brouwer and Wolski/Laich to third.

Joel Ward might be the leading goal scorer but I'm willing to bet he's gone along with MP85 and Schultz in the offseason if not sooner. But I do agree with you, if 8,19,52 are not in form it's all for nothing. All you can do at a business standpoint is increase the talent around them and hope they step their game up. That's all GMGM or whoever the GM is can do.

And yeah JW and MP85 take up roster spots and money that could be used elsewhere. Schultz isn't helping and should be shipped NOW to get the maximum value out of him. Which... probably is not worth much but might as well.

If you want my honest opinion, the Caps need to shoot big. Grab a guy like Bobby Ryan or Briere or Vrbata or something. Then pick up a guy like Kulemin or someone decent to fill the lineup. Then they need to pick a veteran defenseman, preferably mid-aged, to pair with Green. That is alot of damn holes.

Last edited by I Am Score*: 01-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Closed Thread