HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wsh - Chi, Min, NJD, Phx, SJS more

Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Especially considering the price to get him for the full year was Eakin and a 2nd.
That was back when no one knew if the season was even gonna happen.

Ribeiro rounds the Hawks out quite nicely between Sharp and Hossa, and he's been playing great this season. If they think he's the missing piece, well, stranger things have happened.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Yes on Neuvirth on draft day.
Scandella is 50/50 here...
Don't think we need Gormley who is from what I saw more of a puck-moving, offensive type.
He's also great defensively. Not physical, but more an Alzner-type. I think he could fit well with Green or Orlov a few years down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I wouldn't really want to give up a 1st for Neuvirth. Maybe like Pirri and Olsen.
We've got our own version of Pirri in Perrault and we've got no shortage of 3rd pairing defenseman, so no thanks there. Of course, if Crawford keeps playing well, Chicago probably wouldn't be interested either. The Caps might have to add, but I think they can get a 1st for Neuvirth from someone at the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Might just be me - but it's unlikely that Ribiero has that sort of value as a trade deadline rental. Recently, 1st rounders for rentals are pretty rare, and then adding a prospect who was drafted in the 1st round and is developing well is significantly more than Ribiero is worth. Maybe if Ribiero was a player whose game translated more to the play-off's (like Gausted) his value would be higher.
The last time Ribeiro was in the playoffs (which was, admittedly, kind of a long time ago) he had 17 points in 18 games. I don't think there's any way his value at the deadline is less than Gaustad's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Why would Phoenix trade for Neuvirth?
I guess the assumption was that Mike Smith's injury was serious, but since its apparently just a day-to-day thing that's obviously not going to happen.

Quote:
I'd move a third for Chimera.

Also, I'd definitely top Scandella and a 4th for Johansson from the Sharks, if need be. Marcus would be a tremendous fit.
What exactly would you offer? The Caps biggest needs, if Johansson's being moved, are a replacement 2C or a defensively responsible 1/2LD, and I don't see anyone in the Sharks organization who fits one of those needs and would realistically be in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
New Jersey wants Troy Brouwer or nothing.

Some combination of Tallinder, Urbom, draft pick.
Tallinder doesn't make sense in a sell off, and Urbom's value isn't that high. Only guy I'd be interested in for Brouwer is Merrill, but I doubt he's on the table. If a 1st is on the table though, something could probably be worked out.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Tallinder doesn't make sense in a sell off, and Urbom's value isn't that high. Only guy I'd be interested in for Brouwer is Merrill, but I doubt he's on the table. If a 1st is on the table though, something could probably be worked out.
While Urbom does not have the value of a first rounder, what he does have is five years of experience in both the AHL and NHL.

Urbom is five years ahead of any prospect from this draft. He can make an impact next year or maybe even this year plus he is young enough that he can grow with the other young players.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Especially considering the price to get him for the full year was Eakin and a 2nd.
Eakin + 2nd = 1st + 3rd.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Devils don't do that trade. They have a full roster as is and too many NHL defensemen. Wouldn't make sense to trade a promising AHL defenseman for more NHL players.. even with a pick.
um, what?

we need forwards. we are trading a DMan (one that is like 10th on the organizational depth chart) for one in that deal, AND getting a 3rd rounder.

Devils do that deal 10000% of the time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
Sorry, I don't see Minnesota trading Scandella anytime soon.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
That was back when no one knew if the season was even gonna happen.

Ribeiro rounds the Hawks out quite nicely between Sharp and Hossa, and he's been playing great this season. If they think he's the missing piece, well, stranger things have happened.
Here's the thing though - with Bolland moving to 2C, it moves the "missing piece" from 2C to 3C (actually the missing piece is goalie) - so as it stands right now the Hawks would be interested in a 3C/4C that can play PK and win faceoffs more than a 2C. However, that may change by the TDL and Ribiero may be a nice pick up, although I still think K.Hayes and a 1st is too much.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Eakin + 2nd = 1st + 3rd.
I think Kevin Hayes was a 1st rounder.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post
Love the Wild trade, if we don't say yes, I'd be pissed at the GM. Yes, we're not stacked or overflowing with D but that's a trade that would be stupid to turn down.
Agreed. We can flip a different forward for a D or turn around and Flip Johanson again. I think he has far more value/More proven than scandella(who I like quite a bit)

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
The last time Ribeiro was in the playoffs (which was, admittedly, kind of a long time ago) he had 17 points in 18 games. I don't think there's any way his value at the deadline is less than Gaustad's.
I agree that Ribiero would have solid value at the deadline, but the proposal (1st + KHayes) is about twice what Gausted went for last year. The proposed trade would really put Ribiero's value closer to what the elite players get (Hossa, IK, etc) at the deadline, and Ribiero's marginal defense and no physical presence partially offsets his slick offensive skills when it comes to the P/O's.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Not that it matters much if they are punting the season, but if all of those trades go through, the Caps lose 4 forwards, 5 defensemen, and a goalie and add only 1 current NHL player back. What would the lineup look like after that? That's a net loss of 9 NHL players. It's one thing to sell off, but it's another to trade half a team at once.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Not that it matters much if they are punting the season, but if all of those trades go through, the Caps lose 4 forwards, 5 defensemen, and a goalie and add only 1 current NHL player back. What would the lineup look like after that? That's a net loss of 9 NHL players. It's one thing to sell off, but it's another to trade half a team at once.
Nathan MacKinnon or Seth Jones is what it would look like.

Sign the best of the upcoming FA class with the 30 million resulting cap space and trade some of the futures for Kulemin and Setoguchi and we're well on our way.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:

Sign the best of the upcoming FA class with the 30 million resulting cap space and trade some of the futures for Kulemin and Setoguchi and we're well on our way.
The best free agents won't sign on a team that is going to be a basement team for years. Assuming the trades.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Uh...you need to look into team needs before doing things like this. The Wild are not 'stocked' on defensemen. As a matter of fact, they're a bit injury depleted. Albeit Brodin and Scandella are on their way back fairly soon. Still.

And we're overstocked on centers. They have zero reason to do this trade.

Minnesota say absolutely not.
In this case, can the Canucks jump in on this one? Any defense prospects on the Canucks, +/- a little, that we could sub in for Scandella?

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Obviously, my evaluation of MJ was IMO, and YMMV.

Just from my perspective though - I think that PHO probably values Gormley like the Caps valued Carlson a couple of years ago. Would you have traded 20 YO Carlson for a MJ equivelant? I highly doubt it.

And I like MJ - but IMO his upside is as a quality complimentary 2nd liner. Again - just IMO.
By Gormley's age, Carlson had already captained his team to gold at the WJC, won a Calder Cup, and made his NHL debut (on a 1st place team). 20 year old Carlson was way ahead of 20 year old Gormley.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
The best free agents won't sign on a team that is going to be a basement team for years. Assuming the trades.
Why wouldn't they?

Assuming my ideal purge goes through, we're left with.

Ovechkin ??? ???
??? Backstrom ???
??? ??? ???
Hendricks Beagle ???

Alzner Carlson
??? Orlov
??? ???

???
Holtby/Neuvirth

I'd try to flip some futures for Kulemin and Setoguchi. If Green is going he'd bringing back something legit, maybe Schenns for Green + Brouwer + Perreault (at least entertain it as quasi fair and addressing needs). If Colorado has trouble signing O'Reilly perhaps Laich + Johansson does it for them

Now we're at draft day and say hypothetically we can draft Jones. Forsberg is coming over. So we're at

Ovechkin Weiss Setoguchi
Kulemin Backstrom ???
Schenn O'Reilly Forsberg
Hendricks Beagle ???

Alzner Carlson
Orlov Schenn
??? Jones

Neuvirth/Holtby

Even before FA period. And we have like 30 million cap space. Supposing Perry, Weiss, Clutterbuck, Clowe and Smid make it to FA, we could give each of them retarded contracts. Perry 7@55, Weiss 7x5.75, Smid 7x4.5, Clutterbuck what Ward got. Get Backstrom/Kipprusoff/some veteran starting G or take Bryzgalov back if Philly makes it worth our while. Pair them with whoever is left from Neuvirth/Holtby. Give Timonen a longer contract than he'd get anywhere else and use him to mentor the rest of the defense.

So now we're at

Ovechkin Weiss Setoguchi
Clowe Backstrom Perry
Kulemin O'Reilly Forsberg
Hendricks Schenn Clutterbuck

Alzner Carlson
Smid Orlov
Timonen Schenn/Jones

Vet G (Say Kipper)
Neuvirth

Doesn't look too bad now (obviously lots of leaps but whatever).

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-25-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:

That's an awful lot of assumptions. You know what they say about people who assume.....

Old
01-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
That's an awful lot of assumptions. You know what they say about people who assume.....
You're right, it's better to assume the way the team is built now is gonna win anything, ever.

Break them down and build them back up the right way. So what if we don't get all the pieces, we can get enough to lock down key rosters spots and keep going.

Also, it's not really a lot of assumptions. MacKinnon or Jones, yeah. If we're tanking and doing it right we should still get a top 10 pick. Trading for Kulemin or Seto or other players of that caliber/style may not happen but it's not particularly far fetched. If we have 30 million cap space we could make better FA plays than anyone else.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
SDBondra

I could see something similar to a couple of those things happening but I wouldn't expect all 3 of Wilson, Forsberg and Kuznetsov to be ready to contribute by next year. Kuz will make the team. Forsberg might be ready for some 4th line duty but most likely not. Wilson is still a few years away.

SDBondra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
western redmen

Curious as to why you would trade a center in his early 20s when you are rebuilding

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

If that happens McPhee is the greatest GM of all time.

Plus that won't happen. Washington may blow up but it won't be that successful.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Why wouldn't they?

Assuming my ideal purge goes through, we're left with.

Ovechkin ??? ???
??? Backstrom ???
??? ??? ???
Hendricks Beagle ???

Alzner Carlson
??? Orlov
??? ???

???
Holtby/Neuvirth

I'd try to flip some futures for Kulemin and Setoguchi. If Green is going he'd bringing back something legit, maybe Schenns for Green + Brouwer + Perreault (at least entertain it as quasi fair and addressing needs). If Colorado has trouble signing O'Reilly perhaps Laich + Johansson does it for them

Now we're at draft day and say hypothetically we can draft Jones. Forsberg is coming over. So we're at

Ovechkin Weiss Setoguchi
Kulemin Backstrom ???
Schenn O'Reilly Forsberg
Hendricks Beagle ???

Alzner Carlson
Orlov Schenn
??? Jones

Neuvirth/Holtby

Even before FA period. And we have like 30 million cap space. Supposing Perry, Weiss, Clutterbuck, Clowe and Smid make it to FA, we could give each of them retarded contracts. Perry 7@55, Weiss 7x5.75, Smid 7x4.5, Clutterbuck what Ward got. Get Backstrom/Kipprusoff/some veteran starting G or take Bryzgalov back if Philly makes it worth our while. Pair them with whoever is left from Neuvirth/Holtby. Give Timonen a longer contract than he'd get anywhere else and use him to mentor the rest of the defense.

So now we're at

Ovechkin Weiss Setoguchi
Clowe Backstrom Perry
Kulemin O'Reilly Forsberg
Hendricks Schenn Clutterbuck

Alzner Carlson
Smid Orlov
Timonen Schenn/Jones

Vet G (Say Kipper)
Neuvirth

Doesn't look too bad now (obviously lots of leaps but whatever).
Even if you make ALL those leaps (which would be pretty much impossible), that roster has a cap hit of around $73M for just those 20 players.

It all sounds wonderful, but it just isn't reality.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 691
Quote:

There is no way UFAs sign with a lottery team, FYI. Enjoy your dream while it lasts.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
sjWHOOP

would definitely do a 3rd or 2nd for chimera in a heart beat

sjWHOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
You're right, it's better to assume the way the team is built now is gonna win anything, ever.

Break them down and build them back up the right way. So what if we don't get all the pieces, we can get enough to lock down key rosters spots and keep going.

Also, it's not really a lot of assumptions. MacKinnon or Jones, yeah. If we're tanking and doing it right we should still get a top 10 pick. Trading for Kulemin or Seto or other players of that caliber/style may not happen but it's not particularly far fetched. If we have 30 million cap space we could make better FA plays than anyone else.
Yes. That's exactly what I said. Your leaps of logic are just as good as your fantasy GM'ing leaps.

You're assuming not only that the Caps get 1 of the top 3 picks in the draft, but that all of the free agents you are targetting actually make it to free agency and then choose to sign with a team that just blew things to bits. Then you decide you can wildly overpay every one of them and end up at least $10M over next year's salary cap.

These are the types of moves I made back when I played Madden. These aren't realistic moves for any GM to make. 1 or 2 of them. Sure. Outside of that, I have serious doubts.