HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 11:51 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Does this happen in the WHL as well? I didn't realize this was a thing.
I think its less common. Either that or less talked about, i tend to follow the OHL more. But i think players still use the NCAA card on teams in the WHL, as hockeykid87 mentioned Domi using. I think Madison Bowey was one I heard recently.

Here's an article on this issue in general if you are interested:

Quote:
Where the draft is concerned, some feel the Western Hockey League is the best of three since there are far fewer players calling shots. But the WHL drafts a year younger, which is not something either of the other two leagues is considering.

Since WHL teams are drafting a year younger, it leaves them another year to recruit a player rather than a couple months prior to adding him into the lineup. But as Bob Tory found out, that extra year doesn't exactly guarantee a player either.

The long-time general manager of the Tri-City Americans used the first-overall pick in the 2003 bantam draft to select a rising star by the name of Jonathan Toews. Toews gave Tory every indication he would be joining the Americans as a 16-year-old in 2004, just as he also relayed to the media. Not only did he wear the team's jersey on draft day, but he spoke about helping the Americans become a MasterCard Memorial Cup contender Toews was selected 1st overall .

"The mistake I made is I didn't leave a contract with his parents when we met," Tory said recently. "I took it for granted that they said that (playing in Tri-City) was what they wanted him to do."

Toews attended an Americans' training camp, but a long list of delays which culminated with him switching agents eventually closed the door on the WHL.

It became a tough pill for Tory to swallow, compounded by the fact his team would not obtain any compensation for Toews' decision to play in the NCAA.

"If we had known beforehand that he had no intentions of playing obviously we would have taken a different player," said Tory, who also now insists there are no hard feelings.

As a result, WHL teams now try to secure their first-round bantam pick with a contract as quickly after the draft as possible.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...6/king_on_chl/

Old
01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
arsmaster

CHL top prospects game tonight on sportsnet.

http://www.homehardwaretopprospects.ca/

Missing a few highly touted players due to illness/injury, mostly from the WHL - Shinkaruk, Comrie, Pulock.

Should be fun.

The question is who fights this year?

Also hoping team Orr put Jones and Zadorov on the same pair, and see what Mackinnon and Drouin can accomplish against them.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Man, what I wouldn't give for one of the big three in this draft.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
BerSTUzzi

Lazar just fought Nurse...well done. He was really solid in the 1st period.

I wouldn't mind drafting Jarry or Martin to re-stock our G depth going forward.

Last edited by BerSTUzzi: 01-16-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
thefeebster

A good draft tracker article from Neate Sager on Lazar

Quote:
"To be honest, it has been something that has weighed on me," says the 6-foot, 198-pound Lazar, who is NHL Central Scouting's 26th-ranked North American skater. "I got off to a slow start. I let all the little things get to me instead of just enjoying the game, having that passion for the game that I used to have. Now I play on the third line and I take pride in that. We're a checking line [he and his linemates of late, Mitch Moroz and Travis Ewanyk], but we can put up numbers too.....

"My goal every game is to influence the outcome in every game," says Lazar, whose quickness and soft hands were particularly in evidence when he helped Canada's summer under-18 team win the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka tournament at the start of this season. "If I can put up a couple points, fine, but it can be blocking a shot, winning a faceoff."
And this last question:

Quote:
5. Is it hard being a Canucks fan playing in the Oilers' building, lookin' up at all the banners?
"I don't know. Whenever the Canucks are in town I'm still that guy wearing my Canucks t-shirt around Rexall Place. I get a lot of flak for it, but I'm not going to be one of those bandwagon jumpers. Edmonton is a great hockey club, I do cheer them on after getting to know some of the [Oilers] guys over the past couple years."
It's fate really.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:08 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
A good draft tracker article from Neate Sager on Lazar

And this last question:

It's fate really.
Thanks for that.

Guess there's a reason why I'm drawn to him as a prospect.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
We must get Lazar.

#Lazar2013

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-23-2013, 12:30 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Meh.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:43 AM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

For me if Mantha falls to us, or we can aquire a high 1st in a trade for Lu...but Lazar would be a great pick late 1st round...Mantha is very raw but has 1st line powerforward upside,but Lazar is the safer pick with his Elite 3rd line centre as his downside imo(could still be a second liner but his production is very low...so idk)

Old
01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
arsmaster

Everyone who complains about Lazar's production haven't watched him.

The kid is playing 3rd line C on a deep team and is 4 goals shy of the team lead.

He's a scorer. Depends who is there, but in the 20's he's a great pick.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Erne Erne Erne

between Erne and Lazar it's pretty clear who our team will take, one is in the Q the other is in the Dub... Kujawinski

Old
01-23-2013, 02:40 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

If we have a chance to get Lazar without trading up we should jump on it and run.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
If we have a chance to get Lazar without trading up we should jump on it and run.
No doubt about it.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
01-23-2013, 03:16 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

anytime I hear Lazar I think of this:

Old
01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Erne Erne Erne

between Erne and Lazar it's pretty clear who our team will take, one is in the Q the other is in the Dub... Kujawinski
I think both Lazar and Erne end up being drafted in the 10-15 range anyways.

I'm prepared to be disapointed.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:24 PM
SiCKNESS

Draft Rasmus Ristolainen

Edler - Garrison
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Tanev - Ristolainen
Corrardo and Alberts

For the next couple years.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Tiranis

I'm not even going to venture with this to the main boards but I currently have these players ahead of MacKinnon (based on 1 viewing since the WJC and like 8 prior, plus the whole WJC): Drouin, Barkov, and Jones. Am I crazy?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm not even going to venture with this to the main boards but I currently have these players ahead of MacKinnon (based on 1 viewing since the WJC and like 8 prior, plus the whole WJC): Drouin, Barkov, and Jones. Am I crazy?
The "Crosby comparison" effect seems to drag MacKinnon down as he didn't perform to similar levels at the WJC. He is one of the youngest players in this draft, if he was born 11 days later he'd be a 2014 pick. If someone gets him at 2 or later they are going to be stupid happy with that kid.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
The "Crosby comparison" effect seems to drag MacKinnon down as he didn't perform to similar levels at the WJC. He is one of the youngest players in this draft, if he was born 11 days later he'd be a 2014 pick. If someone gets him at 2 or later they are going to be stupid happy with that kid.
Barkov is a day younger...

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Crosby comparison". For me he just doesn't project to have the same upside as the other guys.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:52 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Barkov is a day younger...

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Crosby comparison". For me he just doesn't project to have the same upside as the other guys.
Crosby comparison means Cole Harbour, NS born, Shattuck's, lighting up the Q, WJC.

Kids a beast.

I'd take Jones 1, Mac 2.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Crosby comparison means Cole Harbour, NS born, Shattuck's, lighting up the Q, WJC.

Kids a beast.

I'd take Jones 1, Mac 2.
Yeah, but I just posted my own opinion and that seems like a strange reply to it. I didn't even think to compare him to Crosby. Maybe others do but he's pretty much #1 on most of the lists out there.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
The top 4 has blurred into one. Monahan and Lindholm close by. I can see Jones going #1 because he's the only D "OMG I can't choose between Drouin, Barkov,Mackinnon. It's too hard I'll take Jones, at least I'm sure I'm getting the best D and I'd hate to be the guy that drafted the bust out of the centres."

Old
01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Yeah, but I just posted my own opinion and that seems like a strange reply to it. I didn't even think to compare him to Crosby. Maybe others do but he's pretty much #1 on most of the lists out there.
delete.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
I've just watched a few interviews with him that have always started off with talking about Crosby first and all the connections they both have and he could be Canada's next "Crosby" blah blah blah. I just think that kind of pressure can impact anyone's game, maybe I'm way off

haha I know how this got confusing, I didn't even mean to quote you on my first reply. Now that I've seen your post, I think the top 4-5 is not a lock this year. It'll be exciting on draft day to see how it plays out.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

lazar please

Closed Thread