HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Terminate Hovinen's Contract (claimed by Edmonton Oilers, per D. Dreger)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
  #51
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,011
vCash: 50
See, them taking so long to do this annoys me.

We definitely could be using Anthony Stewart right about now.

__________________
Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
  #52
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,115
vCash: 500
Hope this means we re-sign Eriksson. Seriously, we should really bring him back.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
  #53
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 500
Frankly, I'd rather have the extra contract space for flexibility this season than to sign a goalie in Europe. So Hovinen didn't work out, this doesn't all of a sudden make Sunshine the next Bernie Parent. He is still in Europe, and I am sure they are keeping an eye on him, if he warrants it, then I am sure the Flyers will offer a contract.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM
  #54
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,229
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
See, them taking so long to do this annoys me.

We definitely could be using Anthony Stewart right about now.
No we couldn't, he is terrible.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
  #55
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
One thing I like about Carchidi is that he actually responds to other people on twitter

Panotch just sends you an angry message if you bash him
He did it to me! He sent me a DM and since he doesn't follow me I copy/pasted his DM and sent it with my answer to him. It was about a comment he made about Byfuglien a couple of summers ago when he was reported to be way overweight (as opposed to his regular overweight) and he called him fatso or something equally professional. I didn't even send the original tweet to him, I retweeted his article and said something about his lack of professionalism.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
  #56
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,103
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
See, them taking so long to do this annoys me.

We definitely could be using Anthony Stewart right about now.
he's terrible

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:12 AM
  #57
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Why are people so in love with Ericksson and acting like the Flyers made some huge mistake by not signing him? He has never played in North America. He was a 7th round pick, and then went through another draft undrafted, and then wasn't signed. Do you really think that you guys, who have seen his highlight films and read articles (or at most seen him play a couple games on TV) know better than all 32 NHL teams? If this guy was drafted by the Pens and let go would you give him another thought? Of course not. There is a reason he was not signed or drafted. What that reason is, I have no idea (maybe he has a poor work ethic, maybe he isn't as good as you think, maybe he doesn't want to play over here, etc). But if he was good enough to be in an NHL organization, all 32 teams wouldn't be signing and drafting other goalie prospects.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:30 AM
  #58
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why are people so in love with Ericksson and acting like the Flyers made some huge mistake by not signing him? He has never played in North America. He was a 7th round pick, and then went through another draft undrafted, and then wasn't signed. Do you really think that you guys, who have seen his highlight films and read articles (or at most seen him play a couple games on TV) know better than all 32 NHL teams? If this guy was drafted by the Pens and let go would you give him another thought? Of course not. There is a reason he was not signed or drafted. What that reason is, I have no idea (maybe he has a poor work ethic, maybe he isn't as good as you think, maybe he doesn't want to play over here, etc). But if he was good enough to be in an NHL organization, all 32 teams wouldn't be signing and drafting other goalie prospects.
stopped reading there

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:34 AM
  #59
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Frankly, I'd rather have the extra contract space for flexibility this season than to sign a goalie in Europe. So Hovinen didn't work out, this doesn't all of a sudden make Sunshine the next Bernie Parent. He is still in Europe, and I am sure they are keeping an eye on him, if he warrants it, then I am sure the Flyers will offer a contract.
what most of us don't understand is why Hovinen warranted a contract but Sunshine didn't when he was 2 yr older and had only posted a couple decent seasons. Sunshine is a top goalie in a very good league with numbers not dissimilar to Lundqvist when he was over there at the same age. Please nobody twist my words and say I'm calling him the next Lundqvist but with our current prospect pool, watching him play a few times and his ridiculous stats i would think he has warranted a contract. But obviously i may be missing a crucial piece of information.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
  #60
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why are people so in love with Ericksson and acting like the Flyers made some huge mistake by not signing him? He has never played in North America. He was a 7th round pick, and then went through another draft undrafted, and then wasn't signed. Do you really think that you guys, who have seen his highlight films and read articles (or at most seen him play a couple games on TV) know better than all 32 NHL teams? If this guy was drafted by the Pens and let go would you give him another thought? Of course not. There is a reason he was not signed or drafted. What that reason is, I have no idea (maybe he has a poor work ethic, maybe he isn't as good as you think, maybe he doesn't want to play over here, etc). But if he was good enough to be in an NHL organization, all 32 teams wouldn't be signing and drafting other goalie prospects.
It was easy to make the argument that if the Flyers were signing a longshot goalie prospect that Sunshine trumped Hovinen in EVERY regard. Hovinen lasted a few months and couldnt even play in the AHL.

Why cant you admit the Flyers made a mistake with Hovinen? Is it the end of the world? No. But it was obvious at the time that placing a contract on Hovinen over Erikson was stupid

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:12 AM
  #61
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,103
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why are people so in love with Ericksson and acting like the Flyers made some huge mistake by not signing him? He has never played in North America. He was a 7th round pick, and then went through another draft undrafted, and then wasn't signed. Do you really think that you guys, who have seen his highlight films and read articles (or at most seen him play a couple games on TV) know better than all 32 NHL teams? If this guy was drafted by the Pens and let go would you give him another thought? Of course not. There is a reason he was not signed or drafted. What that reason is, I have no idea (maybe he has a poor work ethic, maybe he isn't as good as you think, maybe he doesn't want to play over here, etc). But if he was good enough to be in an NHL organization, all 32 teams wouldn't be signing and drafting other goalie prospects.
I've bee saying this for awhile

but....there are only 30 teams in the league

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
  #62
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,109
vCash: 300
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...52829175246849
Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Oilers claim goalie, Niko Hovinen, off Waivers from Flyers.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:05 AM
  #63
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,803
vCash: 500
Lol. I guess they like players with no work ethic and poor attitude. Should have just let him sail back to Europe.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  #64
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,625
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This again?
how dare we question the decisions of the almighty never wrong Flyer brass.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:25 AM
  #65
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,011
vCash: 50
Lol oilers

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  #66
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,592
vCash: 500
Dynasty kids!

J/k.

Funny thread though. Have no idea why we claimed him

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
  #67
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,231
vCash: 500
Next Grant Fuhr..for sure...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
  #68
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
It was easy to make the argument that if the Flyers were signing a longshot goalie prospect that Sunshine trumped Hovinen in EVERY regard. Hovinen lasted a few months and couldnt even play in the AHL.

Why cant you admit the Flyers made a mistake with Hovinen? Is it the end of the world? No. But it was obvious at the time that placing a contract on Hovinen over Erikson was stupid
The thing is, we don't know, and probably never will know why they chose Hovinen. Perhaps they wanted someone to come to NA right away and Sunshine didn't want to. People tend to nitpick for all the wrong reasons, remember the Tomas Hyka debacle? I only describe it as a debacle because of how the people of the board reacted, not because it should have warranted ANY attention.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
  #69
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
stopped reading there
Haha. My bad. I said it twice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
It was easy to make the argument that if the Flyers were signing a longshot goalie prospect that Sunshine trumped Hovinen in EVERY regard. Hovinen lasted a few months and couldnt even play in the AHL.

Why cant you admit the Flyers made a mistake with Hovinen? Is it the end of the world? No. But it was obvious at the time that placing a contract on Hovinen over Erikson was stupid
Because what makes it a mistake? I never said the Hovinen signing was great. People are acting like the Flyers dropped the ball some how because they let a prospect get away. Meanwhile, that prospect remains unsigned and undrafted by every other team in the NHL. Yet people who have read an article on a blog one time and saw his YouTube videos are clammoring for this guy to come back. I would understand the argument, you know, if Ericksson was playing in the NHL or even the AHL, or at very least, was signed by or subsequently drafted by an NHL team. If you are going to tell me that the Flyers made this mistake, then every other NHL team has as well. And that would be pretty shocking if 17 people on HFBoards who read an article about the guy and saw some highlight clips knew better than these guys.

By saying the Flyers made a mistake, you are saying one of two things:

1) You think Ericksson is better than the 30 NHL organizations think he is, and your limited knowledge of his play, personality, work ethic, willingness to sign, etc is better than theirs.

OR

2) The Flyers (and the rest of the league) know how good he is but are choosing to sign lesser players for some unknown reason.

I find it hard to believe that either of these true.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  #70
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. My bad. I said it twice too.



Because what makes it a mistake? I never said the Hovinen signing was great. People are acting like the Flyers dropped the ball some how because they let a prospect get away. Meanwhile, that prospect remains unsigned and undrafted by every other team in the NHL. Yet people who have read an article on a blog one time and saw his YouTube videos are clammoring for this guy to come back. I would understand the argument, you know, if Ericksson was playing in the NHL or even the AHL, or at very least, was signed by or subsequently drafted by an NHL team. If you are going to tell me that the Flyers made this mistake, then every other NHL team has as well. And that would be pretty shocking if 17 people on HFBoards who read an article about the guy and saw some highlight clips knew better than these guys.

By saying the Flyers made a mistake, you are saying one of two things:

1) You think Ericksson is better than the 30 NHL organizations think he is, and your limited knowledge of his play, personality, work ethic, willingness to sign, etc is better than theirs.

OR

2) The Flyers (and the rest of the league) know how good he is but are choosing to sign lesser players for some unknown reason.

I find it hard to believe that either of these true.
haha, i saw you bolded (is bolded a word or should i have just said to make bold?) the 30 this time.

anyway. i don't think it's unheard of for a good goalie to go unnoticed while playing in Europe. Bob turned 22 slightly after signing and coming over and sunshine is only 22. unless there is something else that we just don't know like he flat out said he didn't want to come to NA or that he wants a guaranteed NHL job then i think he'll be signed by someone soon. but this is all conjecture right now. it's a shame that we'll probably never know.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  #71
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. My bad. I said it twice too.



Because what makes it a mistake? I never said the Hovinen signing was great. People are acting like the Flyers dropped the ball some how because they let a prospect get away. Meanwhile, that prospect remains unsigned and undrafted by every other team in the NHL. Yet people who have read an article on a blog one time and saw his YouTube videos are clammoring for this guy to come back. I would understand the argument, you know, if Ericksson was playing in the NHL or even the AHL, or at very least, was signed by or subsequently drafted by an NHL team. If you are going to tell me that the Flyers made this mistake, then every other NHL team has as well. And that would be pretty shocking if 17 people on HFBoards who read an article about the guy and saw some highlight clips knew better than these guys.

By saying the Flyers made a mistake, you are saying one of two things:

1) You think Ericksson is better than the 30 NHL organizations think he is, and your limited knowledge of his play, personality, work ethic, willingness to sign, etc is better than theirs.

OR

2) The Flyers (and the rest of the league) know how good he is but are choosing to sign lesser players for some unknown reason.

I find it hard to believe that either of these true.
after being drafted he was photod in a philly sweatshirt and seemed real excited to be coming here. after being a 7th rd pick he moved up from a lower league to backup an experience veteran who had a pretty solid year. a sleeper pick who could develop slowly whos steadily improved since. and the burn of it all is he was and still would be the best goalie prospect in the system.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
  #72
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
haha, i saw you bolded (is bolded a word or should i have just said to make bold?) the 30 this time.

anyway. i don't think it's unheard of for a good goalie to go unnoticed while playing in Europe. Bob turned 22 slightly after signing and coming over and sunshine is only 22. unless there is something else that we just don't know like he flat out said he didn't want to come to NA or that he wants a guaranteed NHL job then i think he'll be signed by someone soon. but this is all conjecture right now. it's a shame that we'll probably never know.
That's fine, and I am not necessarily saying that the kid will never amount to anything. I just don't think that you can call not signing him a mistake or complain about it, when the kid has not done anything since they let him walk, including being signed or drafted by any NHL organization. Again, even if something as miniscule as just being signed by another NHL team had happened, I could see the argument. But the support for this kid seems to be based on nothing more than a chance to complain.

I mean, legitimately, how many people complaining have seen the kid play (not including highlight videos on YouTube)? Of those people who have seen him play, how many have seen him play regularly? Answer those questions, then tell me why this was a mistake and why the entire NHL is either ignoring him or their assessment of him is so far beneath the assessment of the fans on HFBoards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
after being drafted he was photod in a philly sweatshirt and seemed real excited to be coming here. after being a 7th rd pick he moved up from a lower league to backup an experience veteran who had a pretty solid year. a sleeper pick who could develop slowly whos steadily improved since. and the burn of it all is he was and still would be the best goalie prospect in the system.
Again, what makes you say this? How much have you seen him play? Are you telling me the Flyers know he is this good, but are choosing to sign different players for some strange reason? Or are you telling me that your assessment of this kid is better than the Flyers and the rest of the NHL?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
  #73
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,305
vCash: 156
The Flyers are renowned for bad decisions with goalies. It's not really a stereotype either, it's just what they do. Taking Hovinen over Sunshine was panned by a lot of people outside of this forum, like writers who actually follow those players. I remember some of our posters who have seen both play thought it was unwise as well. It's far from a stretch to think there are people out there who know goaltenders better than the Flyers.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
  #74
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Flyers are renowned for bad decisions with goalies. It's not really a stereotype either, it's just what they do.
That is true, but that doesn't automatically mean letting him walk was a bad move.

Quote:
Taking Hovinen over Sunshine was panned by a lot of people outside of this forum, like writers who actually follow those players.
And that's fine. As you said (or someone said), there is nothing wrong with calling out the management. But what exactly was the mistake? This is my problem with people complaining about this. Hovinen didn't work out. Fine. But by all accounts, Ericksson has not worked out either. He is fine in Sweden. They can sign him today if he is that good. But they aren't doing that. No one is doing that. So where is the mistake? You don't like the Hovinen signing. That's fine. Call that a mistake. But letting Ericksson go can't be labeled a mistake when there has not been anything to suggest that he would be what people are saying he would be. What is making people think that the entire NHL, not just the Flyers, can't see how good this kid is, but they can? At least in the Hyka scenario you could say that he was drafted in the subsequent year or something like that. But Ericksson was not drafted and not signed. So again I pose the questions: Why can't the 30 teams in the NHL see how good he is, or in the alternative, if they know how good he is why aren't they trying to sign him?

Quote:
I remember some of our posters who have seen both play thought it was unwise as well. It's far from a stretch to think there are people out there who know goaltenders better than the Flyers.
That's fine and I am not saying no one knows better. I just find it highly unlikely that so many people are avid fans of Ericksson's team and do watch him play and have the same ability to spot goaltending talent as the entire league's scouting department who has seen him play. I also find it unlikely that those people saw something that the NHL's scouts missed.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:49 PM
  #75
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,400
vCash: 500
I've seen him in two games last yr and one so far this yr. I'm no expert but from what I've seen, read and his stats I think he would be at least an NHL caliber back-up. At one point many considered him to be a future starter w/ bob pushing him for a spot. Since not getting a contract all he has done is perform at an elite level in one of the top leagues in europe. Here are his numbers the past two yrs:

2011-12 33GP 1.73GAA .935SV%
2012-13 24GP 1.71GAA .931SV% (season not over yet)

here are Lundqvist's numbers from his last 2 yr in the SEL (as a 21-23yo which just so happens to be Sunshines age in the seasons listed above) before making the jump to the NHL.
2003–04 48 GP 2.17GAA .927SV%
2004–05 44GP 1.79GAA .936SV%

i'm not saying he's anywhere near Lundqvist's level or that he could potentially be even but as of right now he's a top 3 goalie easy in he SEL. That has to be worth something.

Given the flyers previous track records with goalies why is it out of the realm of possibility that the organization could have made a mistake? Sure he's no guarantee but almost anybody with any sort of insight into the situation didn't understand the Hovinen signing over Sunshine. Again there could very well be a reason that we are not aware of but from what we do know he'll easily be the best goalie in our system behind Bryz if he were signed right now.

And once more Bob wasn't drafted or signed until a couple months before his 22 birthday and he was in a higher profile league. Fine I will not say they made a mistake and I never did but I've seen you question repeatedly why many of us want the Flyers to offer him a contract. The reason is simple and has been stated numerous times.


Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-25-2013 at 03:57 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.