HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Eric Tangradi officially a bust?

View Poll Results: Is Eric Tangradi a bust?
Yes 102 50.00%
No 15 7.35%
Too Early To Say 87 42.65%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2013, 04:24 PM
cassius

vCash: 500
Is Eric Tangradi officially a bust?

Look - people have been penciling Eric Tangradi into the top 6 since we acquired him in February 2009, which was almost 4 years ago.

Every off-season, folks on HFBoards continually gushed about how this was his moment to shine and that he would contribute in a top-6 role, yet it just hasn't happened yet.

So here we are in 2013 and Tangradi has still yet to make an impact at the NHL level, despite being a 23 year old rookie with a good amount of AHL seasoning.

I'm not going to beat around the bush: Is Tangradi is a bust.. or no?

Note: before you vote "too early to say" keep in mind that Eric Tangradi is turning 24 in a few weeks, so lets be 100% honest and not use time as a copout

Last edited by cassius: 01-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.
cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:26 PM
cassius

My take is that Tangradi is definitely in bust territory, as he has yet to realize his full potential for many years and time does become an issue. We acquired the guy because we thought he could be a winger on Sid/Malkin's line... 4 years later and he still looks lost out there. Not to mention, he has limited to no trade value.

Will he crack it in the NHL eventually? I think so, but it will be in a Brian Boyle-esque role.. a skilled role player guy who has some size, but can never really hold down a top 6 spot.

Last edited by cassius: 01-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 04:27 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I voted too early to say, but it's not nearly as early as some people think IMO. I've heard it all before: Points don't matter, but they do....oh yes they do. You have to show SOMEthing offensively to play in a top 9 role. If you don't you better be able to kill penalties/hit/fight. Something's gotta give fairly soon with him. Occam's razor is looming.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Yes for me. I realize that PFs take a lot longerto develop and find their game but he hasn't been dominating the AHL either. He's destined for the bottom six in my opinion.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:38 PM
MtlPenFan

Show me something more than any of a dozen guys who are put on waivers every year do.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
zoro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Yes for me. I realize that PFs take a lot longerto develop and find their game but he hasn't been dominating the AHL either. He's destined for the bottom six in my opinion.
I agree with this, he isn't a bust it just that he wasn't able to meet our expectations, and I just dont see the skill level there that would warrants a top-6 type guy

zoro87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

All you 'Gradi haters need to get off the ridicilous train.

He's never gotten a fair chance, EVER.

as soon as he comes up in NHL line up he's punished beyond all form of reason as soon as he makes a single mistake. He is never allowed to develop which leads to him constantly overthinking his game. Im not expecting miracles from him but you know that the lack of points is because of nerves.

Eric is on a incredibliy short leash and he knows it. I don't blame him one single second for not producing points. For his own sake I hope he's traded. If DB won't give him a chance (which he hasen't. Putting someone in the lineup and telling them "as soon as you mess up you're going to be benched." Not if, but WHEN, which is the situation ET lives in, you will be benched) then perhaps someone else will and we can get some assets for him.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

He's not a bust because he wasn't a #1 pick IMO and he was a throw-in in the Kunitz/Whitney deal. Tangradi came with some decent upside out of Belleville. Had he worked out as a power forward that could score 20-30 goals a year, Shero would've robbed Anaheim.

He's Dave Roche 2.0 though. Big guy with little heart on the ice.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Agreed. I totally get that PF's take longer to develop, but jesus.. he's about to turn 24 in a few weeks, haha. There comes a point when time becomes an issue, you know?

Old
01-25-2013, 04:44 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
All you 'Gradi haters need to get off the ridicilous train.

He's never gotten a fair chance, EVER.

as soon as he comes up in NHL line up he's punished beyond all form of reason as soon as he makes a single mistake. He is never allowed to develop which leads to him constantly overthinking his game.

Eric is on a incredibliy short leash and he knows it. I don't blame him one single second for not producing points. For his own sake I hope he's traded. If DB won't give him a chance (which he hasen't. Putting someone in the lineup and telling them "as soon as you mess up you're going to be benched." Not if, but WHEN, which is the situation ET lives in, you will be benched) then perhaps someone else will and we can get some assets for him.
So you think there's a better chance he is a top 6 regular in the NHL than a bust?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:44 PM

I think he is a bust for this team but might fit on a different team. He has some tools but needs to stop playing like this...

and more like this...

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Too early to say but at this rate we will never find out.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

The reason he goes to the bench is because there are guys who can do their jobs in the bottom six and they're proven commodities.

Plain and simple, ET needs to "earn" a spot on the roster no matter where that is.

Don't put hate where reality is, reality is ET has only himself to blame, and he keeps getting chances/minutes others have done something with and earned a spot.

We'd all like nothing more than him to earn his spot, but he himself has been the road block. Reality>>>>hate.

"I don't hate Eric Tangradi, I hate he can't earn a spot though." That's a relatively cheap contract the team is losing out on if he can't get it together.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
UnrealMachine

I don't agree that this is a "make or break" season for him in termsof his career. He could very well breakout 2 or 3 seasons from now.

That being said, there is very little about him that impresses me tobe honest. The NHL appears to be too fast for him and I can't name any physical skills he has that will either compensate for this or are simply there and are "waiting to be unleashed". I'd rather him be scratched at this point as he adds nothing of value to the team. That's my opinion anyway.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

The Pens need to stop tearing players down and rebuilding them back up, especially forwards.

Build upon their talents don't take them away.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Power forwards usually don't hot their stride until they're 25.

Now if Tangradi is a power forward is a better question...because he sure as hell isn't using his size to his advantage right now.

I think he's almost shot as a Penguins prospect...but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he caught on elsewhere as an effective player. He'll never come close to that mythical ceiling of his, though.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Stecz

He skates well for his size, but he doesn't use his size effectively, even in the AHL he couldn't do it consistently. I don't believe he has top 6 level skill and it was obvious he couldn't work well with Malkin, they spent most of their time on the ice running into each other. You can say he didn't get a fair crack at the lineup and I don't think Bylsma likes him either, but in the few shots he's had, he's never done anything of note.

For better or for worse, the Pens are in win now mode and, especially in a shortened season, don't have time to experiment with prospects who may or may not work out. You can lament all the times Tangradi was benched for a mistake and how unfair it is, but he's on a short leash, he knows it, but he doesn't act like it. He doesn't do a good job of finishing checks or protecting the puck. He's decent at screening goalkeepers, but he hasn't, as of yet, managed to make much of a decent attempt of any garbage opportunities.

Stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

This thread is such BS. ET has been treated horribly by this org and now that he has a total of 3 games playing in the top 6 we're gonna call him a bust.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
This thread is such BS. ET has been treated horribly by this org and now that he has a total of 3 games playing in the top 6 we're gonna call him a bust.
Look at who created the thread though...

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Still think he could be a 15-15 guy. I would like to see a Tangradi-Sutter-Kennedy line. Take the pressure off the kid and let him play his game. Still decent defensively and offensively. If you need to make it a shutdown line at the end of the game, then make it happen.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

Let's not forget either that he's had two serious injuries with a laceration to his hand and the concussion from Gillies to slow down his progression. And he didn't even play a power forward's game at first so it took time to learn. He should be playing on the third line at least

Last edited by Sager: 01-25-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Look at who created the thread though...
Now that Staal is gone, cass needs a new Pen to hate on.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I was willing to call him a bust after he played 40 games with 5 points in the bottom 6.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Too early to say bust for sure. He was a 2nd rounder so to me a bust for a player like him would be one that can't play in the league. It's possible he can turn his career around if he goes to a really bad team and gets steady playing time. Ryan Jones has had back to back solid years in Edmonton (18 and 17 goals) after not being able to break through as an NHL regular in Nashville.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Candyman

I'm just not ready to call him a bust. I'm ready to call DB's treatment of him a bust. Even when he's had his chance on Malkin's line he's been on lockdown with a single mistake. Yeah he's 24 and he's been here a few years, that's all fine and dandy but playing 4th line for 5 mins a night doesn't prepare you for the one of the best lines in hockey. He's going to screw up playing with Malkin, the chemistry hasn't been instantaneous to be sure, but I've yet to see him on the ice with Crosby to try that combination, and even when he has played with Malkin he gets less than 10 mins a night... how is he supposed to develop and succeed given his conditions?

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote