HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2013, 10:45 AM
  #526
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,563
vCash: 500
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...pacts-the-team
Bleacher Report: Gomez's immediate impact

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...real-canadiens
Sporting News/Puck Daddy: Why not

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
  #527
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...pacts-the-team
Bleacher Report: Gomez's immediate impact

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...real-canadiens
Sporting News/Puck Daddy: Why not
" ... he led Montreal in primary assists per 60 minutes last season, despite his gruesome lack of goal-scoring ability."

Hopefully Wingels and Galiardi can make use of some of his playmaking.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
  #528
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,563
vCash: 500
PollakOnSharks 10:30am via Web Scott Gomez not on a line in a.m. rushes, strong sign he won't be in #SJSharks lineup tonight against PHX.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  #529
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...pacts-the-team
Bleacher Report: Gomez's immediate impact

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...real-canadiens
Sporting News/Puck Daddy: Why not
I love that the sporting news story pads itself out by repeating the same paragraph 4 times.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:25 PM
  #530
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 46,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
PollakOnSharks 10:30am via Web Scott Gomez not on a line in a.m. rushes, strong sign he won't be in #SJSharks lineup tonight against PHX.
Maybe they will send him to Woostah after all?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
  #531
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,191
vCash: 50
Gomez would not have been bought out if he was still a top-6 player. Anyone expecting him to play at that level will surely be disappointed.

I swear this reminds me of people penciling Colin White in the lineup next to Boyle after he was bought out.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  #532
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,694
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Gomez would not have been bought out if he was still a top-6 player. Anyone expecting him to play at that level will surely be disappointed.

I swear this reminds me of people penciling in the lineup Colin White next to Boyle after he was bought out.
Me too. I'm wary of the enthusiasm.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:57 PM
  #533
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 10,760
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Me too. I'm wary of the enthusiasm.
He hasn't played a game yet, I'm fine with enthusiasm but can it at least be within reason?

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:03 PM
  #534
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,771
vCash: 500
Looks like we'll start to find out tomorrow.

Looks like we'll see Scott Gomez tomorrow. That and some more notes from #SJSharks practice today: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/gomez-likely-debut-saturday

__________________

Theres a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Its a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Id take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:03 PM
  #535
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
What the Sharks need is someone with puck possession skills, can drive play and can skate to replace Zus on the 3rd line. They also need someone w/ some puck skills who can center the second PP unit - Gomez is all of these things.

There is very little chance he's worse than Zus at ES or Tommy Wingels on the PP. It's worth getting a bit excited about in my opinion.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
  #536
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,694
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
What the Sharks need is someone with puck possession skills, can drive play and can skate to replace Zus on the 3rd line. They also need someone w/ some puck skills who can center the second PP unit - Gomez is all of these things.

There is very little chance he's worse than Zus at ES or Tommy Wingels on the PP. It's worth getting a bit excited about in my opinion.
A bit excited is fine. I'm a bit excited. But thinking he should be a full-time top-6 player? That he makes Clowe expendable? That he's still an elite player? That's optimistic, to say the least.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
  #537
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,561
vCash: 628
Gomez replaces Wingels in the 2nd PP unit as expected. However, it looks like he'll be the 4th line center to start. Also Sheppard might actually get another chance. Thought he would be the odd man out.

Gomez to Sheppard for Sheppard's 1st goal

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:16 PM
  #538
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
A bit excited is fine. I'm a bit excited. But thinking he should be a full-time top-6 player? That he makes Clowe expendable? That he's still an elite player? That's optimistic, to say the least.
Haven't really read through this that closely, didn't realize anyone thought that he makes Clowe expendable...that is kinda funny.

I also didn't realize anyone expected that he'd be more than a 3rd liner who might get some spot duty in the top 6 if needed and get some PP time.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
  #539
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,694
vCash: 567
Aw, I don't want to see Desy bumped.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:18 PM
  #540
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Looks like we'll start to find out tomorrow.

Looks like we'll see Scott Gomez tomorrow. That and some more notes from #SJSharks practice today: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/gomez-likely-debut-saturday


I like this quote from Clowe:


Quote:
Its a pretty good second unit when you put myself, Marty and Gomer on there, Clowe said. Its two pretty solid units out there, especially with the first unit going the way they are. One thing about Gomer, is the ability to pass the puck is a real threat. We have three lefties, and I kind of want to get to the net a bit more.

With Gomez in the mix maybe he'll finally stop trying to be Jumbo-lite and get back to doing the things that made him a great power forward.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
  #541
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Haven't really read through this that closely, didn't realize anyone thought that he makes Clowe expendable...that is kinda funny.

I also didn't realize anyone expected that he'd be more than a 3rd liner who might get some spot duty in the top 6 if needed and get some PP time.


I think those are both opinions of the heavy minority.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
  #542
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 10,760
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
A bit excited is fine. I'm a bit excited. But thinking he should be a full-time top-6 player? That he makes Clowe expendable? That he's still an elite player? That's optimistic, to say the least.
That's not being optimistic that's being severely delusional.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:20 PM
  #543
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,694
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
With Gomez in the mix maybe he'll finally stop trying to be Jumbo-lite and get back to doing the things that made him a great power forward.
Maybe he thinks he has to be the playmaker with Couture and Havlat, and that's why we see him trying to force miracle Thornton passes?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:27 PM
  #544
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,561
vCash: 628
Clowe has sucked ES and PP but you can't blame him on the PP. The Sharks overload the #1 unit with Jumbo, Patty, Pavs, Boyle, and Logan and the 2nd unit consists of Clowe, Havlat, Wingels, Vlasic, and Braun. Wingels doesn't belong and Vlasic has improved but if Burns and Demers were healthy he wouldn't be out there probably.

If everyone was healthy it would be interesting to see

#1 unit: Marleau-Thornton- Pavs
Boyle-Demers

#2 unit: Couture- Gomez- Clowe
Havlat- Burns

Don't know if Havlat has run the point before but I think he could do it.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
  #545
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Sure it does. Those subtle differences are what separate the elite shooters like Stamkos, Ovechkin from everyone else.

Both Pavelski and Couture have above average shots, Marleau's is better then both of them and he's still not on Stamkos' level.
At game speed, Couture is a better shooter than Pavs, in terms of velocity, accuracy and release. I'd categorize Pavelski as an average game shooter and an above average shootout shot. Pavelski is not an above average shooter by NHL standards. He's an above average player, IMO, but it's not because of his shot.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
  #546
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
" ... he led Montreal in primary assists per 60 minutes last season, despite his gruesome lack of goal-scoring ability."

Hopefully Wingels and Galiardi can make use of some of his playmaking.
This would be where he earns his pay and then some. Wingels has a great shot and a quick release, but he can't create his own shots. Give him a good puck possession/setup center (and maybe a more rugged off wing) and I think he can put some pucks in the back of the net. Give him Zues all season, and he'll have 3-5 goals at the end.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
  #547
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
At game speed, Couture is a better shooter than Pavs, in terms of velocity, accuracy and release. I'd categorize Pavelski as an average game shooter and an above average shootout shot. Pavelski is not an above average shooter by NHL standards. He's an above average player, IMO, but it's not because of his shot.
uh oh, dont call pavs shot average...likely to be called delusional.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  #548
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Maybe he thinks he has to be the playmaker with Couture and Havlat, and that's why we see him trying to force miracle Thornton passes?


That's what I'm hoping.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:22 PM
  #549
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 26,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
What the Sharks need is someone with puck possession skills, can drive play and can skate to replace Zus on the 3rd line. They also need someone w/ some puck skills who can center the second PP unit - Gomez is all of these things.

There is very little chance he's worse than Zus at ES or Tommy Wingels on the PP. It's worth getting a bit excited about in my opinion.
Thats my hope for him.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:40 PM
  #550
Mafoofoo
Hockey
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Aw, I don't want to see Desy bumped.
Why bump Desi of all guys? He and Burish were running around all night bringing pain on people.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.