HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Was-phi

Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Was-phi

Green + Brouwer + Perreault for Schenn brothers

Please don't hurt me.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

Please don't hurt me.
Nobody's going to hurt you unless you are in a South Philly Starbucks and someone hits you over the head with your computer.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:38 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Not worth it for Washington IMO. Brayden is a good player who will likely develop into a good 2C, but Luke is not the top-4 shutdown presence you guys are looking for.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:

Please don't hurt me.
Not. Even. Close.

Call me when Mike Green plays a full season and is actually effective. But don't come back before then.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Not worth it for Washington IMO. Brayden is a good player who will likely develop into a good 2C, but Luke is not the top-4 shutdown presence you guys are looking for.
Luke Schenn has actually looked good for Philly so far. I think he'll be a very good second pairing shutdown defenseman. I didn't really like the Schenn/JvR trade when it happened, but I can't say I hate it at the present moment anymore.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Not. Even. Close.

Call me when Mike Green plays a full season and is actually effective. But don't come back before then.
Eh it's pretty close, we threw Brouwer in there as well to replace Hartnell and Perreault for some depth. Philly seems to want a top pairing D and we're not touching Couturier who is precious and all.

I'd be willing to wait a full season for Green to prove himself before doing it.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I'm looking for a better Matt Greene from Luke in his prime and a better Jarret Stoll from Brayden in his prime.

On my ideal cup contending team Schenn would be on the 3rd line and the other Schenn would be on the 3rd pairing, but those would be a hell of a line and a hell of a pairing.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Not worth it for Washington until Orlov shows he can take the next step.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:25 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Please don't hurt me.

Green isn't good anymore ... he is fragile. I fail to see why anyone would want the Schenn brothers to begin with.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Green isn't good anymore ... he is fragile. I fail to see why anyone would want the Schenn brothers to begin with.

Pretty sure that's cause you're a biased pen's fan.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:18 PM
SheasRebellion6

Flyers say no. I don't think there is a deal to be made between these two team, IMO.

Fair Value if Green could stay healthy. However, you're putting a lot of money on a risky bet. In more ways than one.

Last edited by SheasRebellion6: 01-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.
SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post
Flyers say no. I don't think there is a deal to be made between these two team, IMO.

Fair Value if Green could stay healthy. However, you're putting a lot of money on a risky bet. In more ways than one.
Strange, I'd have thought Flyers would be very interested in Green. Laviolette's system is predicated on good puck movement from the defense, hence him making Carle look so much better than he was. Right now, their defensemen with offensive capabilities are Coburn, Timonen and Meszaros, and Coburn and Meszaros aren't really puck movers and Timonen is getting up there in age. With the trade going down they'd have Coburn-Green/Grossman-Timonen/Meszaros-Bourdon, and still Giroux-Briere-Couturier at center with Brouwer probably replacing Schenn adequately this season at least.

Guess I'm not seeing it right.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Strange, I'd have thought Flyers would be very interested in Green. Laviolette's system is predicated on good puck movement from the defense, hence him making Carle look so much better than he was. Right now, their defensemen with offensive capabilities are Coburn, Timonen and Meszaros, and Coburn and Meszaros aren't really puck movers and Timonen is getting up there in age. With the trade going down they'd have Coburn-Green/Grossman-Timonen/Meszaros-Bourdon, and still Giroux-Briere-Couturier at center with Brouwer probably replacing Schenn adequately this season at least.

A PMD would be a great fit, I think everyone's on the same page there. I just don't think most have any faith he's going to stay healthy.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:

No you are seeing the Flyers needs right. What you're not seeing is the fact that Green has 1 point in his last 28 regular season games. Plus, he can't stay healthy. Why would the Flyers trade away one of their best prospects and a pretty decent defensman for someone like that?

EDIT: 3 points in last 29 games...just got 2 against Jersey...doesn't really change anything though.

Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 01-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.
The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Nobody's going to hurt you unless you are in a South Philly Starbucks and someone hits you over the head with your computer.

Really!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
No you are seeing the Flyers needs right. What you're not seeing is the fact that Green has 1 point in his last 28 regular season games. Plus, he can't stay healthy. Why would the Flyers trade away one of their best prospects and a pretty decent defensman for someone like that?

EDIT: 3 points in last 29 games...just got 2 against Jersey...doesn't really change anything though.
Why regular season? Why not count the playoffs? It seems like an arbitrary cutoff to make him seem worse.

Also, things to consider - he got most of those 28 games coming back from the same abdominal surgery Briere once had. And he came into a system that basically restricted offense from defensemen to 0. If we're looking at more pertinent numbers it's 2 points in 4 games on a team that is extremely disorganized and offensively inept at the moment.

Not saying he's a world-beater but people are making him seem like cheechoo on defense, which simply isn't accurate.

I'll take your word for not being interested in the trade though.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Eh it's pretty close, we threw Brouwer in there as well to replace Hartnell and Perreault for some depth. Philly seems to want a top pairing D and we're not touching Couturier who is precious and all.

I'd be willing to wait a full season for Green to prove himself before doing it.
No, it's honestly not even close. In the offseason, if my memory serves me correctly, you proposed JVR for Mike Green; no add ons on either side. Flyers fans rejected that trade.

We subsequently traded JVR one for one across for Luke Schenn. While I think the Flyers could've gotten slightly more for JVR and didn't love the trade, the difference in value there isn't Brayden Schenn, nor does Brouwer + Perreault = Brayden Schenn, so this trade is even worse than your previous attempt.

Also, rather than attempting to look at 4 games this season (since Green conveniently had 2 points today) or attempting to arbitrarily cherry pick stats, let's just look at Green's last 82 games, the vast majority of which were played on teams that made the playoffs. During those last 82 games, Mike Green has 10 goals and 19 assists for 29 points. Not bad, but is that anywhere near good enough to justify the return you're talking about? No.

Also, Mike Green's quality of competition seems to show that he hasn't been used as a #1 defenseman for several seasons now.

Mike Green might've improved his defense, but he's still a liability. So if he's not scoring points, he's not all that valuable. And even when he's been healthy, he hasn't been putting up the totals that he used to and he likely never will again. And the second key thing there is the phrase "when he's been healthy", because he's missed more games than he's played the past 2 years and I'm pretty sure he himself described his groin problem as "chronic".

And all that brings me to his massive 6M+ cap hit. That's an awful lot of cap to use up on a guy w/ injury problems and who hasn't been all that productive these past few years even when healthy.

So yeah, it's a pretty solid no from the Flyers, as I said in my first post.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
No, it's honestly not even close. In the offseason, if my memory serves me correctly, you proposed JVR for Mike Green; no add ons on either side. Flyers fans rejected that trade.

We subsequently traded JVR one for one across for Luke Schenn. While I think the Flyers could've gotten slightly more for JVR and didn't love the trade, the difference in value there isn't Brayden Schenn, nor does Brouwer + Perreault = Brayden Schenn, so this trade is even worse than your previous attempt.

Also, rather than attempting to look at 4 games this season (since Green conveniently had 2 points today) or attempting to arbitrarily cherry pick stats, let's just look at Green's last 82 games, the vast majority of which were played on teams that made the playoffs. During those last 82 games, Mike Green has 10 goals and 19 assists for 29 points. Not bad, but is that anywhere near good enough to justify the return you're talking about? No.

Also, Mike Green's quality of competition seems to show that he hasn't been used as a #1 defenseman for several seasons now.

Mike Green might've improved his defense, but he's still a liability. So if he's not scoring points, he's not all that valuable. And even when he's been healthy, he hasn't been putting up the totals that he used to and he likely never will again. And the second key thing there is the phrase "when he's been healthy", because he's missed more games than he's played the past 2 years and I'm pretty sure he himself described his groin problem as "chronic".

And all that brings me to his massive 6M+ cap hit. That's an awful lot of cap to use up on a guy w/ injury problems and who hasn't been all that productive these past few years even when healthy.

So yeah, it's a pretty solid no from the Flyers, as I said in my first post.
lol the caps never offered Mike Green for JVR and Green never used the word "chronic".

The value is definitely close and he is not a liability.

Mike Green clearly will return to his old form and has been playing pretty well this season and has been one of our better players.

Oates is finally giving Green a chance on our top line because he is a top line defender and that's where he should be alongside Alzner.

capitalsrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
lol the caps never offered Mike Green for JVR and Green never used the word "chronic".

The value is definitely close and he is not a liability.

Mike Green clearly will return to his old form and has been playing pretty well this season and has been one of our better players.

Oates is finally giving Green a chance on our top line because he is a top line defender and that's where he should be alongside Alzner.
The original poster in this thread, Halpysback, actually did offer Green for JVR. I never claimed that the Capitals actually offered it, simply that the OP did so.

Also, as to Green's injury not being chronic, Green said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Green
I think I’m going to have to be cognizant of this for the rest of my career, probably,” the Washington Capitals All-Star defenseman said. “This is something that you’ve got to take care of, especially with hockey. It’s such a common thing. It’s just maintenance right now. Making sure that I’m on top of my stuff and I’m getting better. I don’t think I’ll be 100 percent for a long time, but just got to get to that stage where I can play.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:53 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
If the Caps trade with Flyers, I want Voracek.

I wanted him last year too.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote