HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton-Toronto

Old
01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Brian28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Oiler fans need to realize that their kids are not that good and most will be traded for scraps in a few years when the oilers realize they wasted three first over all picks
Much like everyone used to say the Sedins weren't that good? See how blanket statements can bite one in the butt?

Brian28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Why would they trade for Yak, if anythiing, they would go after RNH.
Good luck with that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Yup!

Jake Gardiner.

#Thirdpairingdefenceman
Tell me which d-man he would beat out this year? He would not beat out Smid or Petry on our top pairing, he would not replace one of the Scultz' cause they are perfect for eachother, so yeah, he would play 3rd pairing with Fistric, at least know your stuff if your gonna make stupid accusations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post
yeah..yeah no.

Then thats fine, the OPs offer was horrible, and we were telling you what it would cost for him. We dont care if you dont like the price.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
You'd be better off trying to get Eberle or Hall from Edmonton.
Honestly, of all the super prospects in Edmonton, I think Hall would be the one they would be most willing to move. Eberle is a huge fan fav and is a gamebreaker, Yak is their shiney new 1st overall pick and RNH is a center. I don't think it would be easy to pry any of these players off the Oil, but Hall is the one I could see possibly being available if the return interests Edmonton enough.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
tml145

why would they trade a guy they drafted 1st overall

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1121 View Post
0 Cups rots the mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Much like everyone used to say the Sedins weren't that good? See how blanket statements can bite one in the butt?
last year 2 GM gave over the record interviews about how the Oilers were over valueing their players. I am seeing what they were talking about. Unlike the Nordiques, the Oilers did not hit paydirt with their picks

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:42 PM
socratic

I don't think there's really a great fit here, and I can't see Edmonton trading Yak right now.

That said, as a leaf fan I'd consider a trade around Phaneuf and Yakapov.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:07 PM
calcal798

Like many people have said, the package after Gardiner is not very good.

If were getting another winger back, it only makes sense to ship one out (and not one that would play on their third line).

I'd offer Gardiner + JvR for Yakupov. It'd make our offense a lot better, but our defense would be even worse.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:09 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1150
We'll keep Yakupov thank you very much.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
oilers92

Quote:
last year 2 GM gave over the record interviews about how the Oilers were over valueing their players. I am seeing what they were talking about. Unlike the Nordiques, the Oilers did not hit paydirt with their picks
do you even know what hockey is?? you just seem so out to lunch with these past few "comments" also the quote your trying to reference is in regards to hemsky at the last trade deadline oilers knew they could resign him so why sell him for scraps?

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:45 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Deal as far as I'm concerned. If I were an Edmonton fan, it would take less than a second to say no, though.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
Good luck with that one

Tell me which d-man he would beat out this year? He would not beat out Smid or Petry on our top pairing, he would not replace one of the Scultz' cause they are perfect for eachother, so yeah, he would play 3rd pairing with Fistric, at least know your stuff if your gonna make stupid accusations.
AWESOME logic man.

Um he can't play top pair, and um he can't play seconds pairing, but um he can be our number 6 Dman just um.. Because.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
AWESOME logic man.

Um he can't play top pair, and um he can't play seconds pairing, but um he can be our number 6 Dman just um.. Because.
My logic is better than yours bud, he wont beat out anyone on our first or second pairing this year, so he would be on our third pairing? Not that hard of a concept to grasp, but okay, keep the homer gogs on bud

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Overvaluing Hemsky and Penner is vastly different than RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yakupov. I have never seen a single GM state the 1st overalls or Eberle were over valued. Please provide a link to back up your claim as I would be very interested in a GM's opinion regarding those specific players. After all those are who you are specifically stating aren't high caliber players.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Honestly, of all the super prospects in Edmonton, I think Hall would be the one they would be most willing to move. Eberle is a huge fan fav and is a gamebreaker, Yak is their shiney new 1st overall pick and RNH is a center. I don't think it would be easy to pry any of these players off the Oil, but Hall is the one I could see possibly being available if the return interests Edmonton enough.
Hall will likely be captain someday. The Oilers will eventually be his team...if it isn't already.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:58 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Source?

This year Lombardi just said that there's no team in the league that has close to what the Oilers have with the young kids.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Source?

This year Lombardi just said that there's no team in the league that has close to what the Oilers have with the young kids.
I was going to say the same thing. I've been trying to find the quote. He might have said it on the radio.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
To be honest, I'd say Hall is the least likely to be moved (maybe RNH because of the value of a C). He creates a lot of room out there because of his aggressive pursuit of the puck. Ebs and RNH are far more effective with Hall than without. And as another poster mentioned, our future captain as soon as we rid ourselves of Horcoff.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
My logic is better than yours bud, he wont beat out anyone on our first or second pairing this year, so he would be on our third pairing? Not that hard of a concept to grasp, but okay, keep the homer gogs on bud
Prove it.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Easy no from Edmonton. Yakupov is worth a lot more than anything else in the deal.

Would you give us Kessel for Schultz + spare parts?
I wouldn't trade Justin Schultz for Kessel. Kessel is a good player but he's a rather one dimensional player signed to a big ticket that is expiring soon. Schultz looks like he might be a #1 defenseman, on both sides of the puck. I get the Schultz to Gardiner comp. but Schultz so far is tracking well ahead of Gardiner. I think Schultz has more/as much value as Yakupov.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
The bold is quite ironic.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:44 PM
rockinghockey

We are not trading any of our top fwds for dmen. I am actually happy with how our team is at the moment. Let them play for the year.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:06 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I wouldn't trade Justin Schultz for Kessel. Kessel is a good player but he's a rather one dimensional player signed to a big ticket that is expiring soon. Schultz looks like he might be a #1 defenseman, on both sides of the puck. I get the Schultz to Gardiner comp. but Schultz so far is tracking well ahead of Gardiner. I think Schultz has more/as much value as Yakupov.
I was trying to propose a dumb trade but you're right.

I don't agree with him having more value than Yakupov, though. Yakupov is doing pretty well for his age.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Overvaluing Hemsky and Penner is vastly different than RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yakupov. I have never seen a single GM state the 1st overalls or Eberle were over valued. Please provide a link to back up your claim as I would be very interested in a GM's opinion regarding those specific players. After all those are who you are specifically stating aren't high caliber players.
Did we overvalue them? Penner returned an awfully nice package, i don't think many Oil fans thought we were ripped off. That isn't to say some at the time may not have prefered Penner stay. He maybe returned a little less than some were hoping for as Oiler fans but not by much i would imagine.

Hemsky never got dealt, and based off past performances the Oilers would have been forced to sell low (although i highly doubt anything as low as many on HF think), and didn't for a good reason. Hemsky is a game breaker, a genuine first line forward with a long track record of production. His health was never a big problem until he hurt his shoulder, and then his other one. It's fixed now and the Oilers made the prudent decision to gamble 10 million over 2 years on his shoulders truly being fixed. He's shown enough high end moments of skill to deserve coming back and so far looks great.

So i disagree, i think many valued them about right in both cases.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

vCash: 404
Quote:

When did you see what they were talking about ?? On opening night for the Oilers ?? You have no clue what your talking about and should stop before the hole gets any bigger.

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Did we overvalue them? Penner returned an awfully nice package, i don't think many Oil fans thought we were ripped off. That isn't to say some at the time may not have prefered Penner stay. He maybe returned a little less than some were hoping for as Oiler fans but not by much i would imagine.

Hemsky never got dealt, and based off past performances the Oilers would have been forced to sell low (although i highly doubt anything as low as many on HF think), and didn't for a good reason. Hemsky is a game breaker, a genuine first line forward with a long track record of production. His health was never a big problem until he hurt his shoulder, and then his other one. It's fixed now and the Oilers made the prudent decision to gamble 10 million over 2 years on his shoulders truly being fixed. He's shown enough high end moments of skill to deserve coming back and so far looks great.

So i disagree, i think many valued them about right in both cases.
I was referring to a poster who said 2 GM's publicly stated Edmonton over valued their players. He was using that quote in referrence to our big 4. I was challenging him to back that up. Regardless of how you, I, or other Edmonton fans fel about Penner and Hemsky there were GM's upset regarding the asking price but that in and of itself is no refletion of Eberle, RNH, or Hall...only Penner and Hemsky who were being shopped.

All I asked was for mrcrazycanuck to prove his point with supporting evidence since he tried to relate quotes about Penner and Hemsky to the kids. Until he can provide a link, from GM's, unequivacally stating we overvaule the kids he'll be challenged on that point.