Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regular Season Lineups

Old
01-25-2013, 02:56 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 50
Id rather Sven not sit but truth be told, he hasn't been great since the first game.

With Stempniak and Stajan playing well and Hudler and Cervenka getting their first crack at the lineup, Sven is the odd man out in the top-9, at least for Saturday.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Cervenka didn't play alot of center as he isn't great defensively at it if you have him on the wing it isn't as big of a deal.
It isn't a big deal... if winning a face off isn't a big deal.

Between these lineup shenanigans, and the article about Hartley's choices in the shootout on the Flames website, and I'm starting to wonder if brain damage is a requirement to coach the Flames.

As for Baertschi being in the pressbox (maybe) on Saturday - he can play what, two more games before he loses a contract year? If the team's plan is to sit him out occasionally and play him 3rd/4th line minutes, might as well send him to Abbotsford for the rest of this season.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
It isn't a big deal... if winning a face off isn't a big deal.

Between these lineup shenanigans, and the article about Hartley's choices in the shootout on the Flames website, and I'm starting to wonder if brain damage is a requirement to coach the Flames.

As for Baertschi being in the pressbox (maybe) on Saturday - he can play what, two more games before he loses a contract year? If the team's plan is to sit him out occasionally and play him 3rd/4th line minutes, might as well send him to Abbotsford for the rest of this season.
Playing defense is far more important than winning a draw and there is no proof Cervenka can win at a better rate than Tanguay in the nhl. If you honestly think that playing defense doesn't matter more than a faceoff you might want to check in on your brain.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Playing defense is far more important than winning a draw and there is no proof Cervenka can win at a better rate than Tanguay in the nhl. If you honestly think that playing defense doesn't matter more than a faceoff you might want to check in on your brain.
My brain's fine thanks, the q-tip still feels resistance when I push it in too far.

I've seen Cervenka play two whole games in the KHL (huge sample size, I know and one game was a lovely pixellated 220x120) and he didn't look terrible defensively. Not enough for me to consider him a defensive liability.

My point is I'd like to see someone who has won faceoffs in the past at a high level (that's proven statistically) be put in that position here. If he sucks, fine put Tanguay back.

IMO, it's also easier to teach someone to backcheck than it is to teach them to win a faceoff. It's even easier to have a defensive forward on the (left) wing take that responsibility as well - and was common practice from 1994-2004.

Also also, sometimes the best defense is a good offense. If you have the puck after a faceoff, defense becomes a lot easier.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
My brain's fine thanks, the q-tip still feels resistance when I push it in too far.

I've seen Cervenka play two whole games in the KHL (huge sample size, I know and one game was a lovely pixellated 220x120) and he didn't look terrible defensively. Not enough for me to consider him a defensive liability.

My point is I'd like to see someone who has won faceoffs in the past at a high level (that's proven statistically) be put in that position here. If he sucks, fine put Tanguay back.

IMO, it's also easier to teach someone to backcheck than it is to teach them to win a faceoff. It's even easier to have a defensive forward on the (left) wing take that responsibility as well - and was common practice from 1994-2004.

Also also, sometimes the best defense is a good offense. If you have the puck after a faceoff, defense becomes a lot easier.
I disagree winning a faceoff is much easier to learn, Cervenka has to adjust to the NHL at least at the start he should play the wing, personally I think he should play with Iggy and Tangs and they share the load.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Sven is sitting?

What a joke.

He's been far and away one of the best players the last few games, so what.. Comeau and Jackman can continue being useless plugs?

Sit Stajan, throw Cammy on center, and put Bartschi back on the wing.

Done.

This team sometimes drives a man insane.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Gary83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
I disagree winning a faceoff is much easier to learn, Cervenka has to adjust to the NHL at least at the start he should play the wing, personally I think he should play with Iggy and Tangs and they share the load.
Yeah. Winning a faceoff is very easy to learn. That's why we're so great on the draw, right?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Sven is sitting?

What a joke.

He's been far and away one of the best players the last few games, so what.. Comeau and Jackman can continue being useless plugs?

Done.

The one player that can win a faceoff and has been able to play a solid 3rd line role you want to sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Yeah. Winning a faceoff is very easy to learn. That's why we're so great on the draw, right?
I said easier not easy, just image how bad we will be at back-checking since it is harder.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Sven is sitting?

What a joke.

Done.

Except Stajan has played better than Sven so far.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:47 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:
The one player that can win a faceoff and has been able to play a solid 3rd line role you want to sit

I said easier not easy, just image how bad we will be at back-checking since it is harder.
Stajan wins a faceoff but is useless in every other aspect.

Sven doesn't win faceoffs but is 30 times the player Stajan is.

Sven > Stajan

Get it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Except Stajan has played better than Sven so far.
Disagreed, but thats another thread.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Stajan wins a faceoff but is useless in every other aspect.

Sven doesn't win faceoffs but is 30 times the player Stajan is.

Sven > Stajan

Get it yet?
In the first 3 games Stajan has been the better player in fact behind maybe Glencross or Backlund Stajan has been our best player good at both ends and has been playing a defensive role.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

It's harsh to sit Sven, but this is a business where the objective is to win. Honestly, if Sven wasn't playing well, why not sit him out for a game? This could easily light a spark under him and it may get him going.

The part I'm frustrated with is that why isn't Cervenka playing center?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
It's harsh to sit Sven, but this is a business where the objective is to win. Honestly, if Sven wasn't playing well, why not sit him out for a game? This could easily light a spark under him and it may get him going.

Yeah, he's been advertised as a centre, we need centres, and all of a sudden people are trying to tell us he's a winger? Wtf?

Old
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post

Hasn't played in months new to the nhl and wasn't used alot at center last year due to defensive concerns, why try to make life as hard as we can for him give him time to get use the nhl and be 100% then give him a shot at center.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Hasn't played in months new to the nhl and wasn't used alot at center last year due to defensive concerns, why try to make life as hard as we can for him give him time to get use the nhl and be 100% then give him a shot at center.
Ok, that makes more sense. (not being sarcastic)

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
In the first 3 games Stajan has been the better player in fact behind maybe Glencross or Backlund Stajan has been our best player good at both ends and has been playing a defensive role.
You must be Stajan's relative or something the way you constantly pump his tires. Aside from being slightly better than 50% at the faceoff circle, Matt Stajan is as useless a hockey player as they get.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
You must be Stajan's relative or something the way you constantly pump his tires. Aside from being slightly better than 50% at the faceoff circle, Matt Stajan is as useless a hockey player as they get.
Did you actually watch Stajan so far this season or are you just judging him on past performances? Be honest.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Did you actually watch Stajan so far this season or are you just judging him on past performances? Be honest.
I've watched every single Flames game so far this season. He hasn't been bad, but he's not exactly the player to give you a boner, something 'TheGleninator' seems to get every time you mention his name.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:
Well he's not completely useless.

Extremely average player. Sure he does okay on draws (Although nobody else can see to figure out what to do AFTER we win the draw), and is okay defensively, but he by no means is a game changer.

Old
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Stajan has played well enough to keep his spot imo.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:24 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

I can understand sitting Baertschi, but I'm not a fan of sitting him against the Oilers. Playing against all those young guys would probably get him going. Not too happy about this. Comeau and Jackman haven't done jack ****. We need all the skill we can get vs the Oilers and Baertschi is our most skilled guy besides probably Tanguay.

Glad to have Cervenka and Hudler finally. Expecting another loss tho. I'll be at the game so let's hope I'm wrong.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
I've watched every single Flames game so far this season. He hasn't been bad, but he's not exactly the player to give you a boner, something 'TheGleninator' seems to get every time you mention his name.
It would be extraordinarily beneficial to you if you could take your emotional bias out of the equation and try to look at things rationally.

No one, anywhere, is excited that Stajan is very probably the Flames best natural centre, but those are the facts. You can keep living in a fantasy world where the Flames have an abundance of above average centremen to throw on the ice or pretend like the centre position or winning face offs don't matter, but that's not the reality of the situation or world as it is. Stajan may not be anyone's first, or even tenth choice, but beggars can't be choosers and the Flames are dead broke.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Quote:
You'd be surprised of how little defense you need to play when you're the top FO team in the league. We wouldn't know because we were the WORST in the league last year, and how did that work out for us?

Defense is obviously important (dur), all teams play D. But winning FO's should be the theme of the year for the Flames and drilled daily. We can't do it, and its KILLING us.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Well he's not completely useless.

Extremely average player. Sure he does okay on draws (Although nobody else can see to figure out what to do AFTER we win the draw), and is okay defensively, but he by no means is a game changer.
Well there's your problem. Are you or were you ever, seriously, expecting Stajan to be a difference maker?

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Well there's your problem. Are you or were you ever, seriously, expecting Stajan to be a difference maker?
For how much he's making, it would be nice.