HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ovechkin

Old
01-25-2013, 03:21 PM
FlyingHigh28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Add in Giroux, and sure.
That's funny. If the Caps wanted to trade Ovie for Giroux, they'd be the ones adding.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Galchenyuk + Pacioretty + Subban + 1st is what I'd want.

I'm not convinced he's the problem as much as the rest of the team being built like out of ice cubes in the middle of a desert.
He's not the problem but he's not the same player he was.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
TylerSVT*

Here is a question for you guys.

A few years ago it was all Crosby or Ovy. Its clear now Crosby is the better player. However, what would the Caps have to add to get Crosby in a hypothetical trade?

Ovy+backstrom?

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post

A few years ago it was all Crosby or Ovy. Its clear now Crosby is the better player. However, what would the Caps have to add to get Crosby in a hypothetical trade?

Ovy+backstrom?
Crosby has his own issues -- concussions.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
If he doesn't make sense for your team why even post a value of package? Do you see Coyotes fans barging in offering Vermette and a 3rd since he doesn't make sense for them either.

Karlsson... hmm... we already have 3 offensively capable RD who are all more physical and we don't really need him, I guess I'd trade Neuvirth and Beagle for him. Throw in Joel Ward if you ask REALLY nicely.
no, that's not what i said.
I said I dont know if I want him on our team.
He makes sense for us as 30-40 goal, PPG LW. The problem of course is his ridiculous salary, the crazy length of the contract and the oxygen he would eat up in the room, in the media, the potential disruption to the entire team dynamic (which would not necessarily even be his fault) The media would devour this story and besiege the team at all stops - any successes or failures would all be stories about Ovechkin right or wrong.

So factoring in all that id say that's what he is worth to the Sens.
it had nothing to do with value based on a lack of need, it had to do with everything else.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:36 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:

Ovy+backstrom?
I hate the Pens, but if I were in their shoes, I'd ask for Carlson or Alzner to be thrown in as well. Just can't see the motivation for the Pens to trade Crosby for anything less, he's that much better than everyone else.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
not even close

gally Subban and a first may get you in the negotiating room with Washington
I'm actuallly not sure it's worth rolling the dice on Ovechkin. He has a long contract at huge dollars and seems like he may have regressed badly (into 65-70 point range).

Honestly I was trying to imagine a Canucks roster with Ovechkin on it and even if we could get him for Luongo + Ballard (not that WAS would do that) there was still no way to make it work without removing other major pieces off the roster due to the cap going down. That being said, if a package of Luongo + Ballard + Burrows worked, I'd likely do it (not that I necessarily think WAS would do it).

The idea of trading Gally + Subban + high 1st for him is not good IMO.

NOTE: I think there's a chance Ovechkin starts rocking again but 8 more years @ $9.5M is a team killer if he doesn't pick it back up.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:

Ovy+backstrom?
Why are we doing this?

To boast to everyone that we have Crosby on our team?

To have a player with better regular season numbers?

Ovechkin is still money in the playoffs even when he's not being used right.

And that trade makes us a lottery team. Crosby can only do so much.

This is like if the Penguins traded Crosby during the Therrien period instead of getting a coach who can work with him and linemates who can complement him.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Wouldn't even trade Price straight up for OV at this point. Especially not when you look at the depth in goal the team has.

The fact is, if McPhee was going to explore trading OV he would want an amount that would gut a team. I just don't see how any team would want to do that for Ovechkin
Yeah, Price's .916 from last year is too precious to trade for a bum like Ovechkin. Only what, 25 goalies did better?

Trading Ovechkin without trying to legitimately build around him (not the half-assed crap McPhee and Leonsis have been pulling) would be the dumbest thing this franchise ever did. Yes, including Scott Stevens.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Are you trying to say that Voracek + 1st (Couturier) + 3rd (Cousins) is pretty much equal to Galchenyuk + Beaulieu + 1st ?

Really ? That's three first round picks...
I think its a bit ridiculous to look at a prospects draft round to try to equal things out. Take the first away from Couturier. Last I checked, he played a full year in Philly last season and had great results. Remind me what Galchenyuk and Beaulieu have done in the NHL.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:22 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Ovy+backstrom?
Ovy is a moody *****. Have no use for him. We can stop the what can we add to get Crosby. Sid is going no where.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:24 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

Caps could end up selling low to move Ovechkin, and I hope they do, but low isn't free. A young top six forward, an NHL ready blue chip prospect, a high end prospect, and a top five overall first round pick are the about what it would take.

Think a bit more than Kovalchuk fetched for Atlanta. (Top6 forward, 1st rounder, prospect, top four Dman) that's the low end for Ovechkin.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Galchenyuk + Pacioretty + Subban + 1st is what I'd want.

I'm not convinced he's the problem as much as the rest of the team being built like out of ice cubes in the middle of a desert.
That is a package for a Malkin or healthy Crosby. Not a 9 million dollar 30 goal scorer.

Tell ya what. Keep him.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Yeah, Price's .916 from last year is too precious to trade for a bum like Ovechkin. Only what, 25 goalies did better?

Trading Ovechkin without trying to legitimately build around him (not the half-assed crap McPhee and Leonsis have been pulling) would be the dumbest thing this franchise ever did. Yes, including Scott Stevens.
Clever to put that in there. Still wouldn't do it, too many factors involved to make it bad for any team trading for OV.

Contract
Lack of production
assets needed in a trade to acquire him

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:33 PM
n3ss

Tarasenko, Perron, Shattenkirk for OV, Green

Make it happen.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:37 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

There's probably 15 different ownership groups that would love for Ovechkin to be available at nearly any cost. They would love to have their arena packed full of season ticket holders and lines out the door to buy new Ovechkin merchandise.

His entertainment and marketability, even by reputation if not his current status, would still make him highly attractive to a number of teams. Contract, cap hit and on ice production aside, Alex Ovechkin puts fans in the stands and money in the owner's pockets and according to Bettman there's a lot of broke owners out there.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post

Make it happen.
You realize that would kill our franchise right?

Ok, just checking. Carry on then.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
n3ss

Quote:
You realize that would kill our franchise right?

Ok, just checking. Carry on then.
Players who actually score vs players who don't

Seems legit

Old
01-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:

Make it happen.
Not sure it's what Blues need.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Not sure it's what Blues need.
Nope. Blues Have no reason to make that trade, lol.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Players who actually score vs players who don't

Seems legit
Yes, I'm sure those players will keep scoring if they're ported over to the caps. And Perron/Shattenkirk is exactly what we need to get us over the hump in the playoffs.

Are we trading Backstrom for Winnik while we're at it? Then we can be Team Players Who Actually Score and Win Cups, No Really.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Jaded-Fan

With how he has played and the questions created the past couple of years, and given that long term contract with the huge cap hit he is not tradable absent his turning it around and showing he was back to how he used to be.

And if he does turn it around the Caps would have no interest in trading him.

So I do not see him as tradable.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Pi

I'd have zero interest in trading for Ovie with that contract. I don't think he's coming back to the level he was once at. He set a very high bar and has since fallen off.

Ovie right now would still be traded for nothing but an overpayment and I'm not sure any team would want to overpay in the hope that he gets back to his previous form.

Backstrom on the other hand..is a player any team would love to get from the Caps. Better contract and he's a center too.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Habcentric

Quote:

Yeah why trade price for a player who came in 37th in the league in points last year, yet has a 9.5 million cap hit for the next 10 years....

Habcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habcentric View Post
Yeah why trade price for a player who came in 37th in the league in points last year, yet has a 9.5 million cap hit for the next 10 years....
Top 5 in goals. Points take other players on your line knowing how to play hockey. Ovechkin didn't have that for most of the year.

But as long as we've established that they both suck I'm more than happy to keep our sucky player.