HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit-Toronto

Old
01-25-2013, 04:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
The Wings should not trade their first pick in this draft class except in an extreme scenario, read that as a Getzlaf or Perry type trade with extension signed.

This is not the time for panic moves, if you have to pick a year to have down year this would be that year. A loaded draft class of difference makers, two amnesty buyouts and lots of cap space. To couple that with a system that is as deep as it is for the first time since the early 90's the Wings will be fine.

We don't even truly know what to make of the team. The D is probably going to be bad, but we are missing 9 guys on opening night in Detroit hard to truly evaluate them.

Also on this defense front Sproul and Ouellet have to both be considered heavy candidates for OHL and QMJHL D-man of the year.

22 seasons in the playoffs isn't that important especially if it ends in a crapshoot shortened season with half the roster injured. Ride out the strom if it becomes clear they cannot make the playoffs sell off some of these guys that have the always desired Stanley Cup Champion attached to their resume at the deadline and move forward. This doesn't have to be a massive rebuild and panic moves will make it into that.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Jax Teller

vCash: 500
No interest in the Gunnarsson swap.

He fits in with the age of the current group of Leaf players. He is their best defensive defenseman. Also, the chances of a 20-30 pick turning into a player as good or better than Gunnarsson is not very good. Does Carl Gunnarsson really equal a guy like Stuart Percy who we hope becomes as good as Gunnarsson?

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:59 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Detroit should stop trading away their 1st round picks. Time to rebuild that team.
We haven't traded away a first round pick in a trade deadline move since the Lang trade. We have done well trading back into the 2nd round.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
sparxx87

Detroit needs two way or defensive d men.. Gunnarsson would be appealing, but not at the cost of a 1st..

Too much uncertainty this season, that 1st won't be traded for a 3-4 defenseman with limited offensive ability.

Liles and Franson aren't defensively sound enough for what the Wings need..

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Detroit needs two way or defensive d men.. Gunnarsson would be appealing, but not at the cost of a 1st..

Too much uncertainty this season, that 1st won't be traded for a 3-4 defenseman with limited offensive ability.

Liles and Franson aren't defensively sound enough for what the Wings need..
What would you offer for Gunnar?

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:18 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post
A 2nd... As a fan of both teams, I can't imagine a deal that makes sense.. Toronto needs top line centre and starting goalie.. Detroit's NHL ready prospects are smallish wingers; something Toronto has no use for..

On the contrary, why is Toronto trading Gunnarsson? He's their most consistent defensive d man and will likely be back with Phaneuf when thes Kostka experiment ignites.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:46 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Ken Holland's move this year will be acquiring Lilja from the Flyers at the deadline.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
marty111

Nice job OP. A good trade proposal post!

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Mickey Redmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post
Quincey, Ericsson and Abdelkader

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Falcons93

Yikes, some of you would trade Gunnarsson for what will probably be a low to mid first round pick? He's our most consistent defenseman (and at times our best defenseman).

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Yikes, some of you would trade Gunnarsson for what will probably be a low to mid first round pick? He's our most consistent defenseman (and at times our best defenseman).
Yeah I don't think Gunnarsson is going anywhere if it isn't an overpayment by a desperate team.

He can put up 20-30 points and play responsible in his own zone and his contract is cheap too.

I'd have no problem if Franson is moved since we have too many D already.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah I don't think Gunnarsson is going anywhere if it isn't an overpayment by a desperate team.

He can put up 20-30 points and play responsible in his own zone and his contract is cheap too.

I'd have no problem if Franson is moved since we have too many D already.
Yup, this exactly. If a D-man is moved, it won't (or shouldn't be) Gunnarsson. I think he's underrated offensively too and could put up 30-35 points under the right circumstances (i.e. more PP time, though that doesn't make sense right now with Phaneuf, Liles, Kostka, Gardiner, & Franson).

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
abhanot

Quote:
In this deep a draft, yes. We need picks more than anything. They also will hold a lot more value in this draft, especially for trades. I love Gunnarsson's play, but we're not any closer to a cup than we were 5 years ago. Its only going to take some time for our youngsters to develop.

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
If this draft is everything it's hyped up to be, and if you draft smart, you're likely getting a star if you're picking in the top 20.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
FissionFire

I think you saw the team give up a 1st in a questionable trade for Quincey last year just to take one last shot with Lidstrom.

I don't think you'll see them moving high picks unless it's for a long-term player that they can build around somewhat. This team isn't a player away where a deadline rental or overpayment can put them over the top. I think they are going to hold the picks and start stocking up as much as possible. If anything they'll trade some of the glut of prospects they have. They lack any true elite level prospects but the Wings system is flush with 2nd tier guys with upside in Ouellet, Sproul, Tatar, Nyquist, Mrazek, Sheahan, Jurco, etc. That's what I see being moved in trades, bodies not picks.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:35 PM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
It's not that I would trade him, I just wanted to see what Detroit would offer if he were available.

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
abhanot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I think you saw the team give up a 1st in a questionable trade for Quincey last year just to take one last shot with Lidstrom.

I don't think you'll see them moving high picks unless it's for a long-term player that they can build around somewhat. This team isn't a player away where a deadline rental or overpayment can put them over the top. I think they are going to hold the picks and start stocking up as much as possible. If anything they'll trade some of the glut of prospects they have. They lack any true elite level prospects but the Wings system is flush with 2nd tier guys with upside in Ouellet, Sproul, Tatar, Nyquist, Mrazek, Sheahan, Jurco, etc. That's what I see being moved in trades, bodies not picks.
Gunnarsson is 25 years old. Also, Datsyuk, Zberg, Kronwall, and Franzen aren't getting any younger. Can Detroit afford to wait another 3-4 years for those prospects to be fully developed?

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Ricky Bobby

As a Leaf fans:

1. Seems like a fair return for Franson.

2. If Detroit is a borderline playoff team which means that pick has a good chance of being anywhere from 10th to 20th I take that deal in a deep draft without thinking.

3. I`d want more then a 2nd for Liles. Leaf fans love to hate the guy but he has played decent this season and was very good last season prior to getting concussed.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:29 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
We haven't traded away a first round pick in a trade deadline move since the Lang trade. We have done well trading back into the 2nd round.
Aside from Quincey last year, would be surprised if they did it two years in a row.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote