HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dion Phaneuf done?

Old
01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLeafFan View Post
This has to be one of the worst posts in the history of HF Boards, and that is saying something.
I totally agree... especially cause contracts are pro-rated aside from the dumb point

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:19 PM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
What's dumb about it that fans are frustrated that we are not getting the Phaneuf we thought we were getting from Calgary?
You think he is worth the contract we are paying him? You also think its outrageous to trade him while he has some value as he continues to diminish as some had suggested?
Sorry when your team gets wallpapered 7-4 by the Isles and gives up 6 goals in the last 27 minutes.. yes ppl are going to get called out and this clown is one of them since his coach will never do it..
It's hard for me to argue his defensive game objectively because there is no good stat to rate a players defensive ability, so I'll just leave it at yes I think he's worth the money and yes I think it would be outrageous to trade him.

As far as him being a fit captain.... no. That was a Brian Burke truculence move and it was a bad one.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Picking apart players with a 2-2 record. It's gonna be a long season.

Not just basing things on this year...

You have to give a little aswell. They were asleep because we put them to sleep. It was a strong game all round with the exception of a play or two which happen every day.
Fair enough.. game 3 I will give him more credit but that effort should be every night from a guy his caliber..
I don't comment in here based on bandwagon feelings.. Although Kessel hasn't scored I see his effort and anger to succeed.. I have respected his effort to skate back as well..
The issue with Dion is he is a good 2nd pair guy with no pressure to be the best.. he is a 4.5mil D at best

Old
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Why would I have to half his contract.

He is playing a whole year for us for $6.5 and his idiotic antics cost half of Lupul's season @ $2.625.

Dion cost this team over $9 million and while he is about $5 million good he is no where close to nine.
Oh bomber acting like this team cares about salary you so silly

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
It's hard for me to argue his defensive game objectively because there is no good stat to rate a players defensive ability, so I'll just leave it at yes I think he's worth the money and yes I think it would be outrageous to trade him.

As far as him being a fit captain.... no. That was a Brian Burke truculence move and it was a bad one.
I respect your opinion as a fan but what has you feeling he is worth the money? you dont find he is under performing for that value? He is by no means a scott gomez but 6.5?

Old
01-25-2013, 06:24 PM
SteveV*

What's harder, finding a legit number one goalie or a intelligent thread after a Leafs loss?

Phaneuf has looked great this year, against Pittsburgh he was fantastic!!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
So what do you think he'd get on the open market?
Looks at Sports Illustrated most overrated player last year.. don't hold your breath I know what you are implying.. Also ppl always overpay on open market and I still don't think he gets his 6.5

Old
Everlong
-

Quote:
Fair enough.. game 3 I will give him more credit but that effort should be every night from a guy his caliber..
I don't comment in here based on bandwagon feelings.. Although Kessel hasn't scored I see his effort and anger to succeed.. I have respected his effort to skate back as well..
The issue with Dion is he is a good 2nd pair guy with no pressure to be the best.. he is a 4.5mil D at best
No pressure to be the best? He's captain of the maple leafs! If that's not a pressure to do your best...

I agree with your analysis of Dion though, but I'd put his value closer to 5.5.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
What's harder, finding a legit number one goalie or a intelligent thread after a Leafs loss?

A leaf loss? only team not to make the playoffs in last CBA as we haven't seen a playoff game since 2004 then a few years ago when Burke said we only needed a retool and Dion was a key piece to be the answer we finish worse but ya... keep harping on the leaf loss point...

Old
01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Delete

Last edited by Leafidelity: 01-25-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
A leaf loss? only team not to make the playoffs in last CBA as we haven't seen a playoff game since 2004 then a few years ago when Burke said we only needed a retool and Dion was a key piece to be the answer we finish worse but ya... keep harping on the leaf loss point...
Nice sentence structure bro!

Old
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Holy ****, I can't believe someone made this thread. Last night was a terrible game for the entire team excluding a select few. Dion is by far our best defenceman and a legit #1. He, and the whole team, have one bad game and everyone goes sour. I hate that about Leafs nation. I've watched every game start to finish this year and the majority of games the last few years, and Dion is one of, if not the best player on the ice out there for us night in and night out. Cut the guy some slack.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
This thread is a big ball of stupid

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
I respect your opinion as a fan but what has you feeling he is worth the money? you dont find he is under performing for that value? He is by no means a scott gomez but 6.5?
He's far and away the best defenseman we have right now, I don't think anyone is going to argue that. I don't think he's been underperforming I think he's a first pairing defenseman on almost any team in the league. Solid on both ends of the ice and an excellent physical presence.

If Grabovsky and Lupul are worth 5 million (let's face reality here, Grabo and Lupul are 2nd liners on most playoff teams) then Phaneuf is certainly worth 6.5

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Leaf fans are so dumb.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:57 PM
DaveT83*

Leaf Homers would have you believe that everything is perfect. That nothing needs to change. Forget the draft - forget prospects - all you need is Dion/Kessel/Komi/Armstrong/Connolly and whatever other recognizable name you can find to wear the Blue + White.

One thing you have to hand to them is they are consistent. You'd think after 9 years of being wrong they would start to look at the equation from a different perspective - but nah they just keep seeing Gold when everyone else see's ****. It really is quite remarkable.

As far as Dion is concerned - Now that Burke/Wilson are gone as the Scapegoats to whatever ailments this franchise suffers from - he's next in the line of succession to bear the burden that is the performance of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Don't like it? Give up the 'C' - don't want the responsibility? Give up the C' - Can't handle the pressure ... Give up the 'C' -

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

He was really great against those Pens yeah. Also real hard and good in those first games as well. What a player. Every guy has some upsides and downsides. Man that hit on tavares was HARD. What a rocky player.

We need to get some number one goalie playing behind phaneuf etc.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I believe shots on net is much like hits, where it can differ a lot depending on the guy recording the stats from rink to rink. I have to believe that Dion has missed a few more shots than 3 as that shooting accuracy seems pretty high.
Unless you want to manually count his hits and misses, those are the best records we have.

Shooting accuracy for this season seems high because of the small sample size. Chara, for instance, is still at 100% accuracy (he usually hovers around 72%).

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
This.

I'll give him credit though, he managed to get all of our self-hating Leaf trolls in one thread.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
He was really great against those Pens yeah. Also real hard and good in those first games as well. What a player. Every guy has some upsides and downsides. Man that hit on tavares was HARD. What a rocky player.

We need to get some number one goalie playing behind phaneuf etc.
He is also MUCH better on his own side!

Old
01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
pucky

Why can't fans say that he should be traded?

He's overrated and overpaid. SI showed he's even perceived as overrated by his peers.

He's way too inconsistent. Fans of other teams see this as well. He is lazy, prone to turnovers, doesn't have an accurate shot whatsoever, doesn't pass and is constantly getting schooled by forwards. Physical play? Yeah, if you count his hits from behind. He doesn't back anything up either.

Why do Leaf fans want to keep him and his 6.5 mill. contract for?

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
jimmycarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post

He's overrated and overpaid.

no doubt. he would be awesome at luke schenn money.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Lol wow. Phaneuf has been great and is a career all-star. Delete this stupid thread.

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post

He's overrated and overpaid. SI showed he's even perceived as overrated by his peers.

He's way too inconsistent. Fans of other teams see this as well. He is lazy, prone to turnovers, doesn't have an accurate shot whatsoever, doesn't pass and is constantly getting schooled by forwards. Physical play? Yeah, if you count his hits from behind. He doesn't back anything up either.

Fear of making a mistake - I think most Leaf fans are just scared to death that one of their players will leave and perform great somewhere else.

Secretly I think they just don't know much about hockey - they see stats - nothing else really matters to the majority of them. Certainly not team results.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote