HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gustav Nyquist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
  #151
redjax
Boom Roasted.
 
redjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
And all three are markedly better than Filppula. I dont think we can expect last year's production from him every year.
Because? If Babcock plays him on the wing where he belongs with a competent center, the drop off shouldn't be that big compared to last year.

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:25 PM
  #152
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,086
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I think it may be my Newfoundlander bias showing but I wouldn't mind Cleary back on a 1 year 1 -1.5M million contract, he could play on the 4th line and still contribute a bit. He's had the most up & down career of anybody on our team & I think that experience will help out the younger guys we have coming up.
I'd be okay with that, only IF Holland waives/ buys out Bertuzzi AND Samuelsson! There is my stipulation

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
  #153
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,116
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I'd be okay with that, only IF Holland waives/ buys out Bertuzzi AND Samuelsson! There is my stipulation


Guess that means no Cleary for us next year. Are we even going to use those buyouts on anyone? My guess would be no but...

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
  #154
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,086
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post


Guess that means no Cleary for us next year. Are we even going to use those buyouts on anyone? My guess would be no but...
Buyouts aren't very Holland-esque. Buying someone out is basically admitting you fudged up, which isn't something Holland does often (nor I imagine he would be very readily able to admit)

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
  #155
Townsend Beasley
Mission to Civilize
 
Townsend Beasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dan's House
Country: Norway
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Could we theoretically buy out mule/z's contract, then turn around and re sign him to smaller cap hit or term?

Townsend Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
  #156
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
Could we theoretically buy out mule/z's contract, then turn around and re sign him to smaller cap hit or term?
nope

can't sign them for a full year

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
  #157
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Buyouts aren't very Holland-esque. Buying someone out is basically admitting you fudged up, which isn't something Holland does often (nor I imagine he would be very readily able to admit)
Not that I think Holland will buy anyone out, but after the last lockout, he bought out Hatcher,Whitney and McCarty.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
  #158
Claypool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Buyouts aren't very Holland-esque. Buying someone out is basically admitting you fudged up, which isn't something Holland does often (nor I imagine he would be very readily able to admit)
I believe he bought out Ray Whitney and Derian Hatcher's contracts last lock out.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:58 AM
  #159
SirloinUB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
This kid can (literally) dominate a shift, when will the production come?

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:49 AM
  #160
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
This kid can (literally) dominate a shift, when will the production come?
He has some nice moves, but not much to show for it.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:00 AM
  #161
hockeyisforeveryone
Registered User
 
hockeyisforeveryone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
He has some nice moves, but not much to show for it.
I think he will have something to show. The top scorer in the AHL at one time this season, and with the way ice hockey is advancing he is keeping pace. I could be wrong and he busts but I got this feeling, he is sooo close. With our without us he will be an NHL player. Top 6 on the DRW? Don't know but I like the idea of continuing to keep him as an option.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:27 AM
  #162
TheNextDaigle
Registered User
 
TheNextDaigle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
He has some nice moves, but not much to show for it.
When looking at young players, the way they play trumps how many points they produce. This is how you best can determine how a player will produce several years from now. Not really a groundbreaking statement, but people are too caught up in points.

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:57 AM
  #163
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextDaigle View Post
When looking at young players, the way they play trumps how many points they produce. This is how you best can determine how a player will produce several years from now. Not really a groundbreaking statement, but people are too caught up in points.
I like Tatar's game better.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:21 AM
  #164
TheNextDaigle
Registered User
 
TheNextDaigle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I like Tatar's game better.
And thatīs totally fair. I really, really like Tatarīs game as well.

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  #165
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
This kid can (literally) dominate a shift, when will the production come?
I went back and watched some of his shifts from the last few games. Basically, we're not seeing much production because it's not so much that his line is good—it's that he's good and he's on that line.

The main problem is that Nyquist has nowhere to go with the puck after he wins the battle for the puck. Committing himself to the battle in the first place usually means that he isn't open to do a ton with it because he's got a defenseman on his back and he's not the strongest. What Nyquist needs is for Brunner, Andersson, or one of the defensemen to be in good position to receive a pass and generate a chance. They rarely are, and consequently they rarely do.

It's hard to pin too much blame on Brunner because he's adapting to the NA schedule and playing more games than ever, but he does a very, very poor job of getting open for scoring chances. He can't seem to slip his man most of the time, and sometimes it seems like he doesn't even really try. For the line to work, Brunner has to get open and ready to let his ridiculous shot go.

It's not really Andersson's fault either, but he's not helping. Particularly in this last game (but in the previous ones as well), Andy has backchecked very hard. He's almost been like a third defenseman. The problem is that he's not very quick and he usually isn't back into the play in time to be of much help to Nyquist and Brunner.

The defenseman have been a bit odd this season. There's some statistic out there that says in the last little bit, Detroit's defensemen have been just terrible in terms of offensive production. and you can see it on the ice. The defensemen are generally playing very conservative and bailing on the play to leave the zone and keep things safe. I think the only guy who's consistently trying to make a pinch at the blue line is Smith, but he's obviously having a lot of trouble right now. So with the d-men bailing on the play so often, Nyquist has two fewer guys to pass to.

What all this amounts to is a LOT of plays that go like this: Nyquist forechecks hard, gains the puck... has nobody to pass to, and the play goes the other way. Another variation is instead of nobody to pass to, it's Brunner... except he's right next to a defenseman and loses the battle and the puck right away. The line rarely maintains possession, it seems like.

So anyway, I think that's why the Nyquist line isn't really working out right now. Nyquist looks awesome, but nobody else on that line is doing much of anything offensively.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
  #166
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
I think he will have something to show. The top scorer in the AHL at one time this season, and with the way ice hockey is advancing he is keeping pace. I could be wrong and he busts but I got this feeling, he is sooo close. With our without us he will be an NHL player. Top 6 on the DRW? Don't know but I like the idea of continuing to keep him as an option.
Agreed.
He needs to work on his shot. He had an eon with the puck yesterday and walked it in from the edge of the face off ciricle...It was probably the most dangerous chance we had all night because he had all kinds of time and nobody touched him

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:49 AM
  #167
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I like Tatar's game better.
Tatar's game is what the Wings are in need of most.

It boggles the mind they sent him down.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
  #168
Yemack
Registered User
 
Yemack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
I think he's not 100% adjusted to NHL playoff speed. Seemed like he's slightly rushed to make play instead of carrying the play. He showed some patience and nice drive but I think he can do more. Guys like Nyquist is so used to carrying the play that I think it's an important factor.

also he could work on accuracy of his shot tiny bit more. he needs to trust his shot.

though, Nyquist is least of our problem IMO.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:56 AM
  #169
TheNextDaigle
Registered User
 
TheNextDaigle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Tatar's game is what the Wings are in need of most.

It boggles the mind they sent him down.
Yeah, how on earth did they come to the conclusion that he didnīt deserve to stay put among the big boys? I think he can turn into one of our best absolutely best players in a few years if everything goes right...

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:58 AM
  #170
TheNextDaigle
Registered User
 
TheNextDaigle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
though, Nyquist is least of our problem IMO.
Word. He is miles ahead most of our players in terms of tilting play against the oppositionīs goal...

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
  #171
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Tatar's game is what the Wings are in need of most.

It boggles the mind they sent him down.
Well, I do not see anyone understanding that decision. It is a very strange one to say the least.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
  #172
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,585
vCash: 515
I don't agree with him going down although Nyquist is currently the better player would prefer they carried both Tatar and Nyquist. With that said, I can tell you why he hasn't come back. Tatar has not played well since going down, he has not been dangerous all that often, he scored in the last playoff game maybe scoring a couple tonight would put him back on the radar. But simply put Tatar isn't playing very good hockey right now at the AHL level, so complain and whine all you want, but know that he hasn't put on the best case for getting sent back up. Ferraro, Mursak and even Jurco have all played better than him for the last month.

Ferraro is probably the most interesting callup right now, not that they would ever do it. Fabulous pk guy that just lead the AHL in shorthanded points and plays the game with a great pace and a hard accurate shot.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:14 PM
  #173
JPE123
Registered User
 
JPE123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
I believe he bought out Ray Whitney and Derian Hatcher's contracts last lock out.
I've always wondered why we gave up on Whitney?

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:28 PM
  #174
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
I've always wondered why we gave up on Whitney?
He didn't jell with the team very well, but the main reason was almost certainly that we just needed to shed enough salary to get under the cap.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:40 PM
  #175
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
The reason Tatar isn't here is because they sent him down for Nyquist and there are no spaces left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I don't agree with him going down although Nyquist is currently the better player would prefer they carried both Tatar and Nyquist. With that said, I can tell you why he hasn't come back. Tatar has not played well since going down, he has not been dangerous all that often, he scored in the last playoff game maybe scoring a couple tonight would put him back on the radar. But simply put Tatar isn't playing very good hockey right now at the AHL level, so complain and whine all you want, but know that he hasn't put on the best case for getting sent back up. Ferraro, Mursak and even Jurco have all played better than him for the last month.

Ferraro is probably the most interesting callup right now, not that they would ever do it. Fabulous pk guy that just lead the AHL in shorthanded points and plays the game with a great pace and a hard accurate shot.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.