HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 7.0 - Great with computers

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
I'm sorry. Does not compute.

Detroit had a HOF player under contract. They made other players accountable to this "rule" based on a player who is a top 5 or 10 all time defenseman in the NHL.

Bergevin's "rule", which actually goes back to a regime that has been completely overhauled, wants to hold Subban to rules that applied when Max had 1/2 of a good season and a broken neck, to Price when he was the league's most polarizing backup goalie, or to gorges coming off a shredded knee.

What does one have to do with the other?
Quite simply put, Molson has handed the reins of this team to Bergevin. Bergevin in turn has a vision for this team moving forward. If for whatever reason he sees fit to use the "bridge" contract to control costs/space under the cap then so be it. For the time being he's the guy.
Don't get me wrong, I want Subban around and I see he as part of the long term core of this team. That being said he has all of 160 games in this league with no arbitration rights. It might be strong-arming or leveraging. Call it what you will, Bergevin is putting his stamp on this team and PK is the first forced to face this fact.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
No fans are more knowledgable than NHL executives, tired of whining fans
Give me the job. I can do better than these clueless dinosaurs.

Old
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
If PK is traded i'm done with this team. Enough with the incompetence.
See ya don't let the door hit ya on the way out.....

Subban is NOT the best or most important player on this team. Hands dowsn that player is Price.

Price Plekaned Pacioretty and so on and so all accepted that transition 2 year contract. They proved they could mature as a perason and improve as players and were all rewarded with long term big money deals.

Montreal has always rewarded their players...Subban is no different....Sign his 2 year contract and his big pay day will come.

He is not Stamkos Malkin Crosby type game changer.....

How was the PP with Subban as the number 1?
hmmmm...It sucked balls!

Markov is back and Diaz looks like he's Bobby Orr all of a sudden.
Subban does not have that same effect, he does not make players around him better....at least not yet!

This being said I would love for Montreal to keep Subban but not at any price like some here would suggest!

Old
DAChampion

I'm really skeptical that Alex Galchenyuk will accept 2 years @ 3.25 million per in the summer of 2016.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Mue

Quote:
No fans are more knowledgable than NHL executives, tired of whining fans
GMs make mistakes though - Gainey not only traded for Gomez, he decided to throw in McDonagh for ***** and giggles.

Trading PK will likely end up being a mistake - I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Old
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Give me the job. I can do better than these clueless dinosaurs.
apply next time there is an opening... and keep us posted.... we would not want to criticize a HF brother.....

Old
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
No player is bigger than the team.
Since when a contract negotiation turned into the cliche "No player is bigger than the team". What a bunch of BS.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
haburger

bergevin gonna last the season in montreal??he better play his cards right or its going to be a short stint as habs g.m.

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That's a little uncalled for, especially coming from someone who needed the dots connected for him that I was being facetious in calling SouthernHab a "true scholar,"(your first clue) on the basis that he's unwilling to reevaluate his opinion on the Subban matter in light of new information.

In any case, let me "connect the dots" for you: what I'm getting at with my question is that perhaps offer sheets had been given to Subban, and we don't know about them. If indeed Ozy is making that implication, and I'm not convinced he is, it would speak against his point, not yours.

K? K.
You love Subban so very very much.

It appears that he does not return the love for you.

Unrequited love hurts, eh? Will the fanboys survive Bergevin showing that no one player is above the CH?

Old
icerocket

Imagine this D: Markov, Subban and McDonagh.

It will never ever happen due to incompetence.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
I really hope we can trade Subban for a defenseman that is an elite skater, carries the puck out of his own zone and into the attacking zone, has a physical presence, can agitate the opposition, has good vision and a bomb shot from the point who is also solid defensively.

Oh wait. The only players that are like that are rare and their teams are too intelligent to trade them? What a NOVEL concept.
AMEN, preach it brother!

Old
01-25-2013, 05:47 PM
WG

Quote:
It's not the quality of the player, but the years of experience, what is the worth of a RFA system if the player as all the control?
He doesn't have all the control. Compare Jamie Benn's contract with what he'd get if he were UFA this past offseason instead of RFA. The guys signing long RFA contracts trade some future cash in exchange for security. In Subban's case it might be especially relevant given his pro earnings to date are relatively meagre so this is his first chance to really cash in.

A point many of us have tried to make about a thousand times to no avail is that if Montreal signed PK to a long term deal right now, then years 3 to X of the long term deal will be a bargain vs. what he'll get signing a second RFA contract in 2 years. Part of that is that PK HAS to take less than a full UFA premium if he signed the contract now. That's my primary reason to want a long term deal done now.

I'd also rather the team not continue to fritter away assets based on stuff that has little or nothing to do with on ice performance, but that's just me.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
BobbyFischer*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUKg0a5M39k

Just a taste of what to look forward to guys..

=]

Old
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm really skeptical that Alex Galchenyuk will accept 2 years @ 3.25 million per in the summer of 2016.
like ive said earlier,if galchenyuk puts up say 20 g next yr and 28 the year after the expectations would be sky high.market value would be in the 6 mil per range.whats mb gonna do then?

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
Woop-de-****.

Chances any of them are a top defenseman in the NHL in their early 20s.. let alone if ever? Very slim.

All your grass is greener folks are so delusional.

What the **** is the point trading for Couturier? He's no better than Eller. He is a redundant piece in the scale of the whole team. Our top 4 remains Markov-Emelin, Gorges-Diaz. That is NO WHERE NEAR GOOD ENOUGH.

I love Ellis, Beaulieu and Tinordi. But at this point, we can be so lucky if any of them become as good as Subban in ONE facet of the game. Let alone the multiple facets he already excels at.

It's stupid.
You won't get fair value.
You create a big hole.

Mediocrity and sticking to dinosaur philosophies that make no sense are the two hallmarks of the Canadiens franchise now. You can keep pretending to yourself that it's okay.

This is not a grass is greener on the other side scenario.

Subban is forcing Bergevin's hand. If Bergevin folds now, every RFA will be looking for their chance to make him fold as well. Chaos.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
HabsSlappy

I would be very upset if PK Subban is traded. I really hope they do what they have to do and get him signed. The only way I would be even remotely content in a trade is if we get an overpayment. We would need a budding superstar to be included in the trade along with another top pick who is a few years away and a pick. I am talking something like Huberdeau and Bjugstad.

As someone mentioned earlier, everyone would want someone like PK back in trade. But there is only one PK Subban and we have him, just need to pony up the money to keep him here long term.

Old
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In 2016, everybody would be settle in the new CBA and the Habs brass would have known Galchenyuk for three years, they probably won't have the doubts that they may have with PK so will see what happens then...

Old
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Will the fanboys survive Bergevin showing that no one player is above the CH?
Oh god, you'll just believe whatever clap-trap filters down to you from RDS, won't you?

One fanbase, one team, one GM!

Old
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Right now, Prust is a very valuable member of the Canadiens.

He has stood up for his teammates twice now.

Those days of 4th liners being leftover forwards exited with Gauthier and Martin.
I'd rather our GM cared about signing our best skater than locking up players in our bottom 6 long term. I like both guys but Subban should've been priority when Bergevin came aboard.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
icerocket

Quote:

Subban is forcing Bergevin's hand. If Bergevin folds now, every RFA will be looking for their chance to make him fold as well. Chaos.
Quit acting like Subban is some 3rd pairing defenseman.

If MB can't sort out core players from the fringe ones it looks like we are going to get another Gauthier like management system i.e. clueless.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
He doesn't have all the control. Compare Jamie Benn's contract with what he'd get if he were UFA this past offseason instead of RFA. The guys signing long RFA contracts trade some future cash in exchange for security. In Subban's case it might be especially relevant given his pro earnings to date are relatively meagre so this is his first chance to really cash in.

A point many of us have tried to make about a thousand times to no avail is that if Montreal signed PK to a long term deal right now, then years 3 to X of the long term deal will be a bargain vs. what he'll get signing a second RFA contract in 2 years. Part of that is that PK HAS to take less than a full UFA premium if he signed the contract now. That's my primary reason to want a long term deal done now.

I'd also rather the team not continue to fritter away assets based on stuff that has little or nothing to do with on ice performance, but that's just me.

That's one thing I don't understand about MB. He came from Chicago where they locked out their young talent to long term deals, and then comes to MTL and sticks to a principle that he had nothing to do with. Signing Subban to a long term deal is better for the club, unless he's wanted to get rid of him all along.

Old
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Well said
It's funny, some people look at Detroit and applaud them for the structure that they've implemented and hope for the same.
Well, for years it was essentially "no one gets paid more than Lidstrom"
Now Bergevin wants to install his own version of that and people run for the exits.
Interesting to say the least
That's funny because it's not Bergevin who came out with the bridge contracts to other players that a lot of people here refer to.

PK Subban is a lot more proven at this point than Price, Gorges and Maxpac were when they signed their respective contracts. Had Price not lost his spot to Halak and if he was the one who took us to the Eastern Conference finals, I doubt he would have only signed for two years.

Yeah, it won't look good for Bergevin at all if we lose PK. What's the point of ''rebuilding'' if you end up trading your young players because you don't want to give them a longer contract than 2 years?

Old
HCH

I have enjoyed the play of the team during the first three games of the season and I know there are holes to be filled. Whether they are filled by PK or by someone else, doesn't really matter to me as long as the path that management takes improves the team.

But one of the weaknesses is on our defense, specifically the right side. It should be a match made in heaven. Only the insiders know why a deal hasn't been made and how big the gap between the two sides is. Bergevin has a very tough decision to make.

Old
DAChampion

Quote:
If Beaulieu and Galchenyuk earn 5 million a year contracts as Subban has, let us drink and be merry, for we may have a cup contender on our hands.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:

MB has to deal with each RFA individually. He has to know which wants merit a long term contracts and which one required a bridge contract. Blindly applying a bridge contract to all RFAs is just stupid.

Closed Thread