HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
According to people in the know there are two or three guys in the wings besides Levin.
If there are 3 more suitors in Seattle, it makes it perfect for an expansion bidding war. Hence the NHl will probably wait then, and Coyotes will go to Québec.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:55 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
If there are 3 more suitors in Seattle, it makes it perfect for an expansion bidding war. Hence the NHl will probably wait then, and Coyotes will go to Québec.
Also an expansion is going to be a rough sell in Qc. Let not forget the kind of team that was sold away from that city.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Also an expansion is going to be a rough sell in Qc. Let not forget the kind of team that was sold away from that city.
That makes me laugh, we will be really happy to get a team. After 18 years or more without a team, people will flood the brand new arena. The whole thing will start with the draft with that team possibly getting a top two draft pick (considering it will be a two team expansion). The team will suck for a few year, but then it will become good, and now we get to keep the team contrary to last time.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
It's pretty speculative to suggest that there would be a bidding war for a Seattle franchise. It's only been said that there are other parties besides Levin interested. Let's be realistic though: if any party is going to outbid for a franchise it's probably Quebec - not Seattle.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Agreed. If anything, expansion would be a far easier sell in Quebec City than it would in Seattle or elsewhere because they're so damn hungry for the NHL to return to their market.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:59 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
If the Coyotes move to Quebec or Seattle, would the NHL be willing to expand to just the other city, or would they wait until they can get to 32 teams?
The "December alignment" contemplated unbalanced divisions, i.e. 8/8/7/7. In that case, going to 8/8/8/7 won't be a problem.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:51 AM
GF

People in QC cheering for a expansion team will have a very hard awakening when they realize that their team sucks and misses the playoffs for 6-7 years in a row.

I expect so much more from Qc fans. I thought these guys knew hockey. They just want a team at all costs... Just like a teen that is looking for an easy lay, wakes up the next morning with the ugliest chick in town and realizes it wasn't worth it.

Watch out for what you wish...

Old
01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
People in QC cheering for a expansion team will have a very hard awakening when they realize that their team sucks and misses the playoffs for 6-7 years in a row.

I expect so much more from Qc fans. I thought these guys knew hockey. They just want a team at all costs... Just like a teen that is looking for an easy lay, wakes up the next morning with the ugliest chick in town and realizes it wasn't worth it.

In the wise words of an internet meme: "Doesn't matter, had sex."

Old
01-25-2013, 08:03 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:

How about you don't put all fans in the same pot pls. Some people may be satisfied by an expansion team but not everyone.

I even doubt Peladeau would bite for the expansion team bidding wars. Because you know it will happen, it's in the NHL's best interest.

The point is tho, if Quebec wants a team, we will need to accept anything the NHL gives us.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:

Getting an expansion team is like having a fat girlfriend that you know at some point will become lean and beautiful. A little sacrifice for long time pleasure!!!

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 01-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
How about you don't put all fans in the same pot pls. Some people may be satisfied by an expansion team but not everyone.

I even doubt Peladeau would bite for the expansion team bidding wars. Because you know it will happen, it's in the NHL's best interest.

The point is tho, if Quebec wants a team, we will need to accept anything the NHL gives us.
Peladeau will go for an expansion team if thats all that is available, i guarantee it.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
GF

Quote:
Getting an expansion team is like having an fat girlfriend that you know at some point will become lean and beautiful. A little sacrifice for long time pleasure!!!
Time to hit the gym fatso!

In all seriousness, and I am pretty sure PKP thought about this too, there is more than one struggling team right now. Why spend money on an expansion when one of these team is likely to go belly up in the next years? In fact, why would the NHL go with an expansion with so many teams struggling to make ends meet? I read things on the business of hockey forums that doesn't make sense to me.

Anyhow, if I was PKP, I would rather wait a couple years for a relocation than an expansion team tomorrow. Not knowing how urgently PKP needs/wants a team of course.

Final thought, the NHL would lose my respect (and others' I'm sure) if it was going to give a relocation to another city (Seatle) and an expansion to Quebec city. This city had to go through many disastrous seasons in its short history only to see its winning team move to Denver. Given the choice, the NHL should definitely give QC the relocation.

This is of course all speculation at this point.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
GF

Quote:
Peladeau will go for an expansion team if thats all that is available, i guarantee it.
Agreed. Only right now, there's a struggling team in the desert...

Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Oh he will go. Just not far. Peladeau stopped at $500M for Habs, who were sold to Molson for somewhere around $550M. So, if Peladeau was not going to pay more than $500M for the oh how glorious and history rich best of the best teams of the whole world () why would he pay for an expansion team anywhere near or over $300M.

And I'll bet what ever you want next expansion fees won't be under that mark because the buyers will come from Quebec and Ontario.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Oh he will go. Just not far. Peladeau stopped at $500M for Habs, who were sold to Molson for somewhere around $550M. So, if Peladeau was not going to pay more than $500M for the oh how glorious and history rich best of the best teams of the whole world () why would he pay for an expansion team anywhere near or over $300M.

And I'll bet what ever you want next expansion fees won't be under that mark because the buyers will come from Quebec and Ontario.
Didn't the price for the CH include the Bell Center? The most profitable venue in North America?? IIRC it did.

So no way in hell is anyone gonna pay even near 300m$ for an expansion team in Quebec city. People think that wealthy businessmen became wealthy by making dump decisions with their money??

The Thrashers sold for 170m$, the Blues for 150m$ and the Coyotes are on the hook for basically 170m$. An expansion team for more than 170m$ is ridiculous. Besides Toronto (Markham/Hamilton), I don't see anyone willing to pay over 200m$ for a new franchise. In their case, if there is a bidding war between two or more investors I wouldn't be surprised to see upwards of 300m$. For Quebec city? No way! I don't believe it.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Didn't the price for the CH include the Bell Center? The most profitable venue in North America?? IIRC it did.

So no way in hell is anyone gonna pay even near 300m$ for an expansion team in Quebec city. People think that wealthy businessmen became wealthy by making dump decisions with their money??

The Thrashers sold for 170m$, the Blues for 150m$ and the Coyotes are on the hook for basically 170m$. An expansion team for more than 170m$ is ridiculous. Besides Toronto (Markham/Hamilton), I don't see anyone willing to pay over 200m$ for a new franchise. In their case, if there is a bidding war between two or more investors I wouldn't be surprised to see upwards of 300m$. For Quebec city? No way! I don't believe it.
So you get the point why I don't think an expansion team is a 100% sure bet for Quebec. Think about it, even after moving Phoenix to Seattle (if it ever happens), it would still be too much to ask Gary Bettman to expand the league by two team, and to put both of those two teams in the North-East, in CANADA !!!!!1111!

We will be in war with GTA for one of the two expansion teams and Las Vegas or somewhere close they will get a 2nd one.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:13 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:

We know what it is to lose for many years in a row. It happened at the end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s and we still filled the Colisée. Sure, they will have to get us results at some points, but I think most people will be patient enough especially if the Habs aren't doing that great either.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Coramoor

good drafting in the modern era can give you a competitive team in 3 or 4 years.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Blue Warriors

Good words from Sid the Kid:

http://www.canada.com/hockey/nhlnews...408/story.html.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

What kind of logic is this, it's better to have a team to have no teams, don't you think?

With an expansion team, they may have growing pains at first, but the NHL has changed and young players graduate far quicker to the big league than it was in the past so you have three great drafts and anything is possible.

I actually think an expansion team would be more popular since you start over from scratch and the new draftees would become instant stars in QC. I would prefer an already-made roster but I would still take an expansion team.

Last edited by Kimota: 01-25-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Undertakerqc

Same here. The expansion draft would be fun as well. And we would have an all new franchise, so no franchise record from a player that played in another city. But of course, i want a team, the fastest, the better.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warriors View Post
Wow nice words from Sidney. I saw many pictures from Sidney's youth with him having Nords apparel on.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:44 PM
GF

So everyone understands, I typed slowly...

western conference finalist>playoff team>non-playoff team>expansion team

You guys realize that actual NHL team have had years of drafting with many of those players playing with affiliate team or in the nhl? They actually have a couple key forwards, defense and at least one #1 goalie?

An expansion team has nothing of that. You have a team built from other teams' rejects. Given the choice, it's relocation all the way. Expansion is only good if there is no other options. It's definitely the worst possible way to get into the nhl.

Your opinion may differ.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Coramoor

Sure you lack depth, but based on the last expansion draft that the NHL did, there are still good players available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

There were some pretty good players in that draft and aside from the fact that the 2000 nhl draft was unbelievably bad by most standards which certainly hurt the start for both teams

It took the Wild 3 seasons to get to the playoffs, I really think Quebec fans would be extremely happy if it only took that long

Old
01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
So everyone understands, I typed slowly...

western conference finalist>playoff team>non-playoff team>expansion team

You guys realize that actual NHL team have had years of drafting with many of those players playing with affiliate team or in the nhl? They actually have a couple key forwards, defense and at least one #1 goalie?

An expansion team has nothing of that. You have a team built from other teams' rejects. Given the choice, it's relocation all the way. Expansion is only good if there is no other options. It's definitely the worst possible way to get into the nhl.

Your opinion may differ.
Sure a Relocation is a better option, but in internet parlance, Doesn't matter, Had sex.

Closed Thread