HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Add in more stable ownership to actually KEEP these players around (both drafted and acquired) and it hurts to think about what could have been, when you consider all the Blues drafted talent from that period.

On the home-grown side, Brind'Amour, Gilmour, Mullen, Emerson, Hedican, Ronning and Joseph added with the likes of acquisitions such as Hull, Oates, Stevens, Brown, Janney, Shanahan, Pronger and Fuhr?

Wasn't Shanny a FA acquisition? Which cost us Stevens as compensation?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Spear

vCash: 250
Quote:
Add in more stable ownership to actually KEEP these players around (both drafted and acquired) and it hurts to think about what could have been, when you consider all the Blues drafted talent from that period.

On the home-grown side, Brind'Amour, Gilmour, Mullen, Emerson, Hedican, Ronning and Joseph added with the likes of acquisitions such as Hull, Oates, Stevens, Brown, Janney, Shanahan, Pronger and Fuhr?

What, no love for MacInnis? 1994-2004

Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:38 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Wasn't Shanny a FA acquisition? Which cost us Stevens as compensation?
True. Still, with a better management group, that whole situation might have gone smoother.

Perhaps we lock both Shanny and Stevens up for multiple years along with everyone else mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear View Post
What, no love for MacInnis? 1994-2004
Whoops.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
True. Still, with a better management group, that whole situation might have gone smoother.

Perhaps we lock both Shanny and Stevens up for multiple years along with everyone else mentioned?

Whoops.

Shanny and Stevens never player played together because we lost Stevens as compensation for the signing of Shanny. A total crime. That would be like the Cardinals signing Holliday as a FA and losing Pujols as compensation. Stevens was that good. We offered a Brindamour package as compensation, which should have been plenty. Imagine Shanny and Stevens together on the Blues with Hull?

Old
01-20-2013, 10:58 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Shanny and Stevens never player played together because we lost Stevens as compensation for the signing of Shanny. A total crime. That would be like the Cardinals signing Holliday as a FA and losing Pujols as compensation. Stevens was that good. We offered a Brindamour package as compensation, which should have been plenty. Imagine Shanny and Stevens together on the Blues with Hull?
That's what I was mostly trying to get at. There was no way to somehow get both Shanahan and Stevens?

What if we waited until he was an UFA? I remember the whole situation having to do with him being restricted.

And yes, imagine your top three defensemen being MacInnis, Stevens and Pronger throughout the 90s.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Our offer was Brind'Amour, Curtis Joseph and two 2d round draft picks. This was easily sufficient payment for Shanahan, who averaged as a forward the same 50 pts/yr that Stevens was putting up on defense when this whole thing went down. It was the worst injustice of my sports lifetime. Totally corrupt situation.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:51 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Our offer was Brind'Amour, Curtis Joseph and two 2d round draft picks. This was easily sufficient payment for Shanahan, who averaged as a forward the same 50 pts/yr that Stevens was putting up on defense when this whole thing went down. It was the worst injustice of my sports lifetime. Totally corrupt situation.
The thing that hurt St. Louis in this deal as I recall was that the ridiculous contract that we gave Shanahan was very similar to Stevens. That didn't help matters any. Besides the package we offered for Shanahan was a supreme overpayment. Blues management screwed this up either way. Shanahan was one of my favorite players, but this was just a really dumb move for the compensation and payout. Shanahan had a 29 and a 30 goal season under his belt at the time. Yes he panned out, but how many players don't or get hurt?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

QMJHL's 1st star of the week

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Tops on my interest list for next training camp (in under 9 months!) is seeing how Jaskin looks compared with NHL men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
The thing that hurt St. Louis in this deal as I recall was that the ridiculous contract that we gave Shanahan was very similar to Stevens. That didn't help matters any. Besides the package we offered for Shanahan was a supreme overpayment. Blues management screwed this up either way. Shanahan was one of my favorite players, but this was just a really dumb move for the compensation and payout. Shanahan had a 29 and a 30 goal season under his belt at the time. Yes he panned out, but how many players don't or get hurt?
In fairness to Blues mgmt, in their wildest dreams they never considered the compensation for Shanahan would be Stevens, and while many players don't pan out you can't discredit them for actually turning out to have been right that Shanahan's best days were ahead of him and for a long time.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:33 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

It's a bit ironic since I remember being as high on Jaskin as anyone at the time of his drafting, but I think the next level will be more of an adjustement for him than many would anticipate given his current success. He's not going to be able to physically dominate fully grown and developed men at the next level to the extent that he can his current competition. Between that and the changes in speed, it could still be three years or so before he's a full-time NHLer.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Mike Liut

I remember several on here being really pumped when the Blues picked him.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Yes, and we'd have expected him to play well in "The Q".

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Mike Liut

Jaskin = Cory Perry ?

Any similarities?

Old
01-21-2013, 11:41 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
I went back through some of the old threads just to see what we were saying about him. Turns out I actually guessed the Blues would come away with him at one point. Totally forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I have this sneaking suspicion that the Blues will walk away with one of Jaskin, Jenner, or Jurco at the draft (or even Jensen if he somehow falls out of the first round).

Call it my "J" hunch of the day.
LINK

Some good reads from back in the day:
2011 Entry Draft Thread starting on the page of the Rattie pick. Execwrite thought we might actually take Jaskin there. Old draft threads are always an interesting read.

In this Team Board Mock Draft Poll Execwrite and I were the only two who thought the Blues might go with Jaskin at 32 (Rattie was already picked in the mock at #30).

Remember this discussion about STL fan in IA's polling methods? Hah!

A decent amount of discussion about Jaskin in Poll #5 from the same series the summer of the 2011 draft.

Fun times.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-21-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I went back through some of the old threads just to see what we were saying about him. Turns out I actually guessed the Blues would come away with him at one point. Totally forgot about that.

LINK

Some good reads from back in the day:
2011 Entry Draft Thread starting on the page of the Rattie pick. Execwrite thought we might actually take Jaskin there. Old draft threads are always an interesting read.

In this Team Board Mock Draft Poll Execwrite and I were the only two who thought the Blues might go with Jaskin at 32 (Rattie was already picked in the mock at #30).

Remeber this discussion about STL fan in IA's polling methods? Hah!

A decent amount of discussion about Jaskin in Poll #5 from the same series the summer of the 2011 draft.

Fun times.

Cool, thanks. I will read some of those tomorrow. OT- how is Edmunson developing?

Old
01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
h22prelude93

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
He is really getting good at those drop passes. Most of that video is the Jaskin-Barbashev-Danault line.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Alklha

Another 3 points for Jaškin tonight; goal and 2 assists. 29-38-67 in 36 games now.

Yannick Veilleux also had a hat-trick! 23-24-47 in 44 games.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
stlweir

Jaskin is 8 points out of the scoring lead and the 4 players ahead of him have played 10 or 11 more games. I had no idea he was this good.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Mike Liut

Hope he's in Peoria next year and in the Blues lineup the following year.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Alklha

While you can't hold all prospects to the same timetable, Jaškin will be the same age at the start of next season and Schwartz and Tarasenko would have been at the start of this. Not as skilled as Schwartz, but more physically ready.

Depending on the make up of the team at the start of next season, he might have an outside shot. Then again, I just dread the possibility of promising prospects playing in Peoria. I really hope things improve there and that changes though.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Alklha

5 minutes into the second period tonight and Jaškin has 2 goals and an assist in a 3-0 game.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
The dude is flat out too good for the Q. Who's spot does he take on the Blues if he pans out? Stewart/Perron or does he take Andy Mc's place in a few years.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:16 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
The dude is flat out too good for the Q. Who's spot does he take on the Blues if he pans out? Stewart/Perron or does he take Andy Mc's place in a few years.
If he adjusts well, he'll replace whoever prices himself out of the team's plans in a few years.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Bluesnatic27

God, if only Jaskin was a center, if only...

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote